Guillermo Angulo
Data Analyst at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Greatly assists the end user and has a good UI; workflows need to be improved

• "The diagram showing the limits is absolutely magnificent."
  • "The workflows and the language they use needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this product is for metadata information for our technology assets. We also use it for all the governance dictionaries, and for minutes as well.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution is very useful for IT people but it's also helpful for those not literate or knowledgeable in IT. The sales department, for example, can track where the information is coming from, where the transformation is happening and where they can find a report for any specific asset. It's very important for them to have it handy, and I believe that for the people who need to know that information, it's very good.

What is most valuable?

The diagram showing the limits is absolutely magnificent. It shows an end-to-end business term or any asset going from end-to-end. From a visual perspective on the diagram, it's simply beautiful.

What needs improvement?

The workflows and the language they use needs to be improved. Programming the needs for every user on the workflows is a key improvement that is required. In addition, they haven't updated their training solution in a while. We need to implement a lot of things ourselves and they want us to move to the cloud but there are a lot of glitches in the system. There are three environments - stage, development and production. Often things work well in the first two stages and then when you get to production, they don't work. It happens a lot and their response is slow.

I've been using this solution for 18 months.

I would say that stability is around 85%-90%. It's very stable compared to other solutions on the market.

Scalability is very good, excellent.

Collibra provides one-on-one technical support, which gives access to a very knowledgeable person and their customer service is amazing. The only problem is that sometimes they don't know the answer so they have to check it out and get back to us. Sometimes you reach a dead end and that's the main problem of their system. We also now get in-house support.

We didn't switch from another solution, but we were using other solutions to control metadata. We used Infomatica for our transformation things. It wasn't like a governance tool. We also used Spark IS, an information solution, to harvest the data we needed.

The initial setup took a week because our systems are tricky due to security considerations. Deployment throughout the company took about six months, but that's an internal issue because of training implementation and that adds to the time. It's our main governance system so we had to move carefully. We already have 2,100 people using it. Operations uses it a lot and sales uses it for everything.

For now, only 60% of our company is using it, so there's no ROI yet.

Collibra started at a very reasonable price and then they increased the cost significantly by about 150% and almost lost us as a customer. It was something that the people from procurement and from finance ask whether the solution is really necessary.

At the time we also evaluated Unify, which became Boomi after it was purchased by Dell. That's an amazing tool as is Informatica. The issue there was that the price was too high. We went with Collibra because of the price and what it gives the end user.

What other advice do I have?

Sometimes the technical support is messy but the system is great. It's a very good tool and I would suggest speaking directly with the technicians who develop the tool, rather than customer service. It's a great tool for a medium size company. if you're in a larger company, I would recommend implementing team by team. It's a tool that the end user needs to understand so if you implement it all at the one time, people will have difficulties and you won't have the support.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

MK
Business Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
A scalable solution where the metadata feature reduces the amount of code in the system

• "I find the metadata feature valuable because it replaces the coding."
  • "If someone changes the metadata, we can't see who changed it."

How has it helped my organization?

Collibra Governance reduces the time-consuming aspects of the process. You'll need only one-fifth of the team as it'll depend on two to three people, and that's really important to businesses.

What is most valuable?

I find the metadata feature valuable because it replaces the coding. The metadata creation happens via Collibra, and it reduces the code.

What needs improvement?

We have an issue with metadata history. If someone changes the metadata, we can't see who changed it. But they are trying to upgrade the system with this feedback and are still working on it. We are still waiting for a proper log to maintain the solution.

I have been using Collibra Governance for the last four years.

I haven't found any limitations or obstacles with scalability. It completely depends on who is managing the solution. We have placed Java resources, and we didn't face any limitations with that.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give their technical support a seven.

This is because they still haven't completely provided the solutions we asked for. They're a new product and are lacking in some areas. They can provide 80 to 90%, they have fixed some things in the public sector, but there are some gaps.

If you're going to start a completely new project, the deployment takes at least six months. But if you're looking to establish particular effective information governance or something like that, it could take maybe 10 to 20 days.

We have had a return on our investment because we don't use the same manpower that we used to for the code.

What other advice do I have?

Before using Collibra Governance for metadata development, you need a business analyst with extensive domain expertise. Collibra Governance is just a metadata creator. You need business knowledge to understand how you're going to create the metadata and how it will link with your business applications.

Collibra Governance isn't the only part where you're going to develop everything. Collibra plays a major role, but you still have to add other components. For example, you need Java resources, Oracle and you need to integrate all this stuff into the Collibra before making the project list.

It demands a high level of visibility. The technology component idea, database knowledge, and more should be made available to a select group of people. If that's not there and everyone is new, and you're using Collibra Governance for the first time, you're going to have many problems.

The teams should have proper knowledge of background modeling, and they should have proper knowledge of the existing business. If they're creating a completely new team and the new team doesn't have any business knowledge, expect project failure.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Collibra Governance an eight.

Product Categories
Data Governance
Download our free Collibra Governance Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.