Lobna Alkomy
Backup & Recovery Section Head at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Scalable with a straightforward setup and good performance

• "The solution is very stable and offers a good level of performance."
  • "The product could be more convenient in terms of working with different solutions and having more integration between the different products in the market."

What is our primary use case?

I'm using the backup email feature with the hypervisor backup on VMware. I'm also working with different databases.

What is most valuable?

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

The solution is very stable and offers a good level of performance.

The product can scale if a company needs it to.

We've noticed that technical support has recently gotten much better.

What needs improvement?

We've had issues with the solution not restoring certain environments. There also issues we find when we want to restore, for example, a cloud environment.

The product could be more convenient in terms of working with different solutions and having more integration between the different products in the market. It really should integrate better with, for example, VMware or Nutanix or Hyper-V. It would be really, really helpful if that were the case.

I've dealt with the solution for the last three years or so.

The product has been stable. There are no bugs or glitches. So far, it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable and the performance is good.

The product can scale if a company needs it to. It does have the potential to expand as needed.

In our company, we have about 1,300 people using it.

When I started to work with Commvault product, it wasn't very good, however, there has been a huge development in service. Their support is now working fine. They're much more helpful and professional. They've come a long way. We're satisfied with the progress they've made.

I have also worked with other products, such as NetBackup and Veeam.

The pricing is a place where they all vary. While Commvault is cheaper than Veeam, it's more expensive than NetBackup.

The initial setup is not overly difficult or complex. It's simple. It's straightforward.

I'm unsure as to how many people are required to maintain the solution. It's not an aspect of the product that falls under my responsibility.

The solution isn't the cheapest. It's also not the most expensive. It's basically somewhere in the middle. However, it's a fine price. It's what you would expect to pay for a full solution. That said, for some environments, it could be considered a bit expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We are resellers.

I would advise those considering the solution, that, if they use it in conjunction with Nutanix, there may be some limitations. You can't back up, for example, on Nutanix and restore things to Veeam or other environments.

That said, we're mostly satisfied with the solution. I'd rate the product at an eight out of ten.

EV
System Administrator at a government with 501-1,000 employees
A seamless and efficient backup solution

• "Commvault is both very stable and scalable."
  • "The initial setup is rather complex, especially when switching versions."

What is our primary use case?

We use Commvault as our main backup solution.

Commvault is also a very reliable backup solution; this is one of our main use cases. There are several other use cases, but backup is the most dominant feature.

Our organization has between 500 to 1,000 employees. The IT department and a few admins use this solution.

What is most valuable?

Commvault has a very extensive report section, at least in the Java console and web console. There is a transition being made from Java to a web console currently, which offers a more sophisticated, more advanced, and more modern interface.

I have been using Commvault for over eight years.

Commvault is both very stable and scalable.

The technical support is very good. We don't get direct support from Commvault as our first line of support; there is an intermediate organization that is very capable, who are masters, the highest degree of admins — they provide us with support. If there's any problem or any advice that we need, they are always available to support us.

The initial setup is rather complex, especially when switching versions.

The price could always be lower. I do not have the exact pricing information but I know it's not cheap.

We would like to evaluate other options. Other products could be more suited to our needs, but currently, we don't have the time to evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

Think about your backup strategy before you begin making a blueprint — that's very important. Do not deploy it and then try to change it. This will only lead to unnecessary difficulties. What are the needs of your organizations? RTO and RPO are also very important. If you want to switch versions or solutions once it has already been deployed, it's not impossible to do so, but it's going to take some serious time and effort.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.

In every product, there is always a balance between the features and how you use them. This solution provides many options; however, If you want to understand and use all of the features that are available, as there are so many, it's going to be quite difficult. I think that's quite common with every application: you use a specific set of features that you're used to and which are easy to use. There are almost too many features; it's almost too much for an admin to handle — It's just overkill.

A more simplified interface or front-end would be more preferable. This is not to say that the back-end should be easier, it can be complex. Moreover, it needs to be complex to satisfy demanding customers.

Learn what your peers think about Commvault. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
553,954 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Mehmet Erdogan
Data Storage and Protection Team Leader at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Flexible, stable, good cross-platform replication, and has a good management console

• "We are using a KVM system in our cloud, and this solution works very well with it."
  • "This solution can be complex and difficult to administer because it supports all of the many platforms, so it would help if they could simplify it."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution to backup our public and private cloud data. It is very compatible with all backup types and environments. It backs up our databases, as well as other systems such as email and files.

How has it helped my organization?

With Commvault, we provided trusted environment to our customer and increased our incomes with new customers.

What is most valuable?

The Commvault Console is very good, as it is capable of archive and backup in the same system.

This solution is very successful at cross-platform replication.

What needs improvement?

Virtual machines backup window in GUI is not user friendly. Some improvements should be done to better user experience.

We have been using this solution for about three years.

This is a very stable product, and in fact, one of the reasons that we choose this solution.

This is a scalable product.

We have been using it more frequently in the past three months, and we have ten companies as clients who are using it for their backups. I do not know how many users they have. We are planning to increase usage.

We have been using technical support, and the response time is very acceptable. We have had no problem with support for this solution.

We previously used Acronis as our backup solution in this company, but it is not a stable product. It fails as we need to restore a backup, and we needed a stable product. We also needed support for many different platforms. I had worked with this solution at my previous company six years ago and was familiar with it, which is why we choose it.

The initial setup of this solution is not complex, and it was not hard for me.

The deployment takes between two and three hours.

We deployed this solution in-house, with our experience. We have a backup team of five people who are in charge of deployment and maintenance, although the team consists of three main people. They are backup administrators and backup experts.

We did not evaluate other options before we switched to Commvault from Acronis.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I recommend because it is stable and has good support. However, it still has some limitations and can be improved.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud

Other
KobusRas
Infrastructure Solutions Architect at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Reseller
A single platform where you can enable whatever you want to use

• "Commvault software is a single platform where you can enable whatever you want to use, like endpoint protection. You can enable those licenses on a single platform screen. This is where I see the value ad. This is a single management tool."
  • "They don't market their products well. They don't do a lot of marketing to enable them to move forward."

What is our primary use case?

We use it mostly for backup and sell it to our customers. We are moving more into data management. Our customers also use it for data classification, it's becoming a major role.

How has it helped my organization?

The previous version of Commvault was complex from a licensing point of view. Veeam is taking up the virtualization space.

It helps my customers recover data and to replicate the data as well.

What is most valuable?

With other products, you need to have different management tools.

What needs improvement?

It's a very good product. It works. If their marketing was great, the product would sell itself. It's harder because their competitors have much better marketing. Everybody knows Veritas and Veeam because they market well. If a customer chooses Commvault, it would be the first time they've heard of it.

My company has been using it for the last five years.

Scalability is great. In the new license model, I can scale it on the virtual environment. We are going to increase our Commvault center in our data center. The maintenance will increase.

Their technical support is very good. I am very satisfied. I work with somebody who is connected to the development side as well so they make sure to implement changes if we encounter issues.

Commvault is an enterprise product set and Veeam only started the virtualization layer. Commvault is already at the front. Veritas has a lot of appliances and Commvault only started doing appliances a few years ago. Veritas marketed their appliances aggressively but Commvault didn't. I think Commvault is moving into data management.

It's not that easy to implement. It takes some time to implement and make it work. It was complex to implement and understand how to get everything correctly.

Commvault changed their model to make it easier for partners and customers to understand. Before there were 16 licenses for one area but now they've made it easier to work.

What other advice do I have?

Understand the way it works in terms of sizing and configuration. As soon as that is correctly done, it's not so difficult to understand.

HamadaFarag
Technical Consultant at Beta Information Technology
Saves administrators time due to minimal errors, and helps reduce infrastructure costs

• "Commvault has support for backing up operating systems and servers."
  • "There is room for improvement in terms of data security."

What is our primary use case?

We are a systems integrator and we sell Commvault to our customers.

One of our customers has Oracle Cloud and we needed to create a backup for that. Only two solutions can do that, Commvault and Veritas. Our customer compared Commvault and Veritas by doing a PoC of each. We displayed the features of each one and the customer chose Commvault.

We have another customer with a different environment. They have virtualization and they have a physical infrastructure and many operating systems and environments. They compared different backup solutions like Commvault, Veeam, and Veritas, and Commvault was the only solution that could cover all the operating systems and the whole virtual and physical environment.

Another customer is in the petroleum sector. They have different sites and they need replication between the sites and they also need to back up their main sites and their remote sites. Commvault is one of the best solutions for this scenario.

How has it helped my organization?

The number of errors or problems with Commvault, when dealing with backups, is very minimal compared to other backup solutions. It saves a lot of time for system administrators. An administrator using another backup solution will take one, two, or three hours per day just to check if the backup jobs have run. With Commvault, it takes about 10 to 30 minutes, maximum.

The solution saves on infrastructure and protects data. Compared to other solutions, using Commvault saves our customers around 15 to 20 percent. In addition, it reduces storage space because of the deduplication and compression during backup.

What is most valuable?

• One of the big features is the 10-mega backup for endpoints. Not many backup solutions support that.
  • Commvault has support for backing up operating systems and servers.
  • The solution covers Oracle Cloud, on-prem, virtual, and physical.
  • The support for cloud is good.

What needs improvement?

There is room for improvement in terms of data security.

We use Commvault's technical support at times. I would rate it at 10 out of 10. Their support is perfect.

For some customers we do the implementation on-premise, and others use the cloud version. It's very easy and straightforward. The design, implementation, and documentation is very straightforward, especially the Commvault hybrid product.

The deployment time depends on the customer and it depends on the environment. It takes a minimum of two to three days, and the maximum is 10 days. It depends on the size of the environment.

We have straightforward procedures for the implementation. We have a manual. We have procedures for the automation of installation for HA environments, whether it's for a virtual or physical, and for different operating systems.

Commvault's licensing is very flexible.

FA
Systems Administrator Team Leader at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use, good speed performance, and the technical support is strong

• "The most valuable features are the ease of use, the graphical interface, and it's high speed."
  • "Persistent binding is a feature that I would like to see in the next release of Commvault."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for backing up all of these services in the full infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the ease of use, the graphical interface, and it's high speed.

The GUI is easy to use.

The compression and deduplication ratios are very good.

What needs improvement?

The price could be lower.

When I compare it with Dell EMC Networker, they have a feature called persistent binding, which means that the backup would be going through the fiber channels instead of the network. Commvault relies on the compression and deduplication ratio, although they could also utilize the fiber channels. Persistent binding is a feature that I would like to see in the next release of Commvault.

I have been using Commvault for more than one year.

I experienced instability only one time, but it was restored.

It's very stable.

It's scalable. That's why it's HyperScale.

We have four administrators in our company who are managing the infrastructure.

Technical support is very strong.

When we made a paradigm shift after moving from the EMC network to Commvault, there is a difference when using both of the products. The other one is powerful but it's more complicated. This one is easier.

It's a Commvault HyperScale model, which is easy to scale.

If you refer back to the manual system, it's straightforward and the architecture is very easy to understand. Implementation is easy.

It's based on a HyperScale with three different nodes running on a RedHat operating system.

The price is not cheap, but when you compare it to the other products they are all almost the same level in terms of price.

If we compare with other products we can recommend Veeam.

Veeam and Commvault are almost the same but Commvault made an announcement EMEA and Commvault now have a fully managed product and they have a backup as a service with unlimited storage.

We are also evaluating Barracuda.

What other advice do I have?

At the moment we are evaluating the additional features in terms of Office 365, backup, and SharePoint to analyze the differences.

Overall, this is a unified solution and it's wonderful.

I would rate Commvault a ten out of ten.

AC
System Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Almost completely automates our backup processes, saving us time

• "What I find valuable is restoring the complete server. Restoring files is also valuable, but I like restoring the server because you don't have to rebuild a new one."
  • "We get an alarm if a lot of files are deleted, for example. That could look like ransomware, even if it is not."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to back up some servers and to restore things.

How has it helped my organization?

Commvault helps our administrators to minimize the time they spend on the backup tasks and that gives them time for other projects. I don't know how much time it saves them because our Commvault environment was already in place. We don't have very many restore problems and, for backup, it's almost automated, so we don't spend any time at the console.

What is most valuable?

For me, it just restores and backs up applications, nothing more. But what I find valuable is restoring the complete server. Restoring files is also valuable, but I like restoring the server because you don't have to rebuild a new one.

Also, we are able to manage our on-prem environment from one server, the whole environment from one place, which is great. There is only one place to search.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Commvault for one-and-a-half years, which is the time I have been working in this company.

It is fairly stable. We have never had trouble with Commvault itself. And if we do have trouble, we can call our Commvault partner and they will solve it.

The scalability is good, although we don't have plans to increase our usage of it.

Commvault's technical support is very good.

I used Avamar a long time ago.

I don't know much about the pricing and licensing, but I do know it is very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Commvault. We have not had many difficulties with it and I think it is a good product.

We don't use Command Center, only the CommCell Console. In our department, only five people are doing the backups and the restores. We are all system specialists, and we work together to maintain Commvault.

I would rate it at eight out of 10. A 10 is too high and would mean it is super-good. For me, an eight is very high.

GK
Technical Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Scales well, but it is expensive and they need better marketing development and support in India

• "The initial setup is straightforward."
  • "When we send a query to Commvault, they take a long time to answer our questions."

What is our primary use case?

We are a service and solution provider, and we use Commvault to secure our client's data. Our motto of security is to secure the data and using this is very important. We are providing services to commercial and financial companies, so our data is critical.

We have two options for backing up data. We have a DR site, and we can also back it up on-premises.

What needs improvement?

This is a very technical solution that I would like to see Commvault offer customer support and marketing development resources in India. To my understanding, there is no marketing development team in India and we face problems when we speak with Commvault about these things.

When we send a query to Commvault, they take a long time to answer our questions. It can be very difficult to contact the Commvault team. Whenever we try to contact them, we are transferred to other distributors.

We have been using Commvault for the past full year.

Commvault is a stable product.

This solution is scalable, and we have more than 5,000 users that are using SAN services.

We don't require technical support or customer support from Commvault, as we have a dedicated team for the product.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The deployment was done in-house.

We have a dedicated Commvault team of 25 members. We have a test area, where Commvault and other products are tested. We have, for example, the Commvault test cases, data center test cases, computer testing, hyper-converged facilities, and more.

In India, this is a very expensive product.

We have not evaluated other options, as we are focusing on Commvault.

What other advice do I have?

When we first started using Commvault, we had many problems. They were on a daily basis and including things like data access and data loads. At this point, we are no longer facing problems.

This is a product that I might recommend, although it depends on the scenario.

I would rate this solution a four out of ten.

Download our free Commvault Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.