GK
Technical Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Scales well, but it is expensive and they need better marketing development and support in India

• "The initial setup is straightforward."
  • "When we send a query to Commvault, they take a long time to answer our questions."

What is our primary use case?

We are a service and solution provider, and we use Commvault to secure our client's data. Our motto of security is to secure the data and using this is very important. We are providing services to commercial and financial companies, so our data is critical.

We have two options for backing up data. We have a DR site, and we can also back it up on-premises.

What needs improvement?

This is a very technical solution that I would like to see Commvault offer customer support and marketing development resources in India. To my understanding, there is no marketing development team in India and we face problems when we speak with Commvault about these things.

When we send a query to Commvault, they take a long time to answer our questions. It can be very difficult to contact the Commvault team. Whenever we try to contact them, we are transferred to other distributors.

We have been using Commvault for the past full year.

Commvault is a stable product.

This solution is scalable, and we have more than 5,000 users that are using SAN services.

We don't require technical support or customer support from Commvault, as we have a dedicated team for the product.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The deployment was done in-house.

We have a dedicated Commvault team of 25 members. We have a test area, where Commvault and other products are tested. We have, for example, the Commvault test cases, data center test cases, computer testing, hyper-converged facilities, and more.

In India, this is a very expensive product.

We have not evaluated other options, as we are focusing on Commvault.

What other advice do I have?

When we first started using Commvault, we had many problems. They were on a daily basis and including things like data access and data loads. At this point, we are no longer facing problems.

This is a product that I might recommend, although it depends on the scenario.

I would rate this solution a four out of ten.

BR
System Engineer at Darva
Easy to use, easy to deploy, and easy to update

• "Commvault is a very stable product."
  • "I think there is room for improvement with the reports. They are a little poor."

What is most valuable?

Commvault is easy to use, easy to deploy, and easy to update.

What needs improvement?

I think there is room for improvement with the reports. They are a little poor. There is a lot of room for customization with Commvault, but we have not done that, so the reports do not work the best for us.

We have virtualization, but sometimes some virtual machines are not backed up.

For us, a system ransomware scenario would be a good solution. This would help us not be nervous about our backup solution if we experience a ransomware attack.

We have been using Commvault for seven years, since 2014.

Commvault is a very stable product.

We are using VMware for virtualization every day. The issue with scalability that Commvault has is that any modifications in virtualization that we make have a direct impact on it.

We do not have a problem with scalability, but I think if we had to restore a large scale of information, it would be a problem because of the time we would have to spend restoring all of our virtual machines. However, we could backup as many as a 1,000 virtual machines very easily.

Commvault's technical support is good. However, because I am French and not a native speaker, I have a hard time understanding tech support specialists that are from India.

Before Commvault, we used a French solution. It had issues with backups and was very bad. We had to migrate before we encountered a bigger problem.

The initial setup is straightforward.

Commvault helped us with the migration. A two-person team was involved in the deployment from our end, a system engineer and a hardware engineer.

Commvault is too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It is a good solution for cloud backup.

Learn what your peers think about Commvault. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
EV
System Administrator at a government with 501-1,000 employees
Robust, feature-rich, and the web console is well organized

• "When an interruption takes place due to an incident, the signaling and notification are very extensive."
  • "With so many features, sometimes you cannot find what you are looking for in the interface and you have to dig into books online to find out how to solve an issue."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Commvault as our main backup software.

How has it helped my organization?

Commvault is very broad in its possibilities to keep the backup environment up and running.

What is most valuable?

What I like about Commvault is that it's very robust. When an interruption takes place due to an incident, the signaling and notification are very extensive. Usually, there is a good direction towards the solution if there is a problem. Commvault is very self-supporting and the software tries to solve any issues by itself.

What needs improvement?

There is a bit of an overkill in functionality, especially in the interface, when you decide to deploy all of the software. I'm talking specifically about the Java console, which is the one we are using because it has all of the features that Commvault has in it. With so many features, sometimes you cannot find what you are looking for in the interface and you have to dig into books online to find out how to solve an issue.

The web console is more organized than the Java console, although it lacks some features.

In the next release, I would like to see different options made available for hot versus cold data.

I have been using Commvault for six years.

We have not been in contact directly with Commvault for technical support. We have a partner who takes care of all of the issues if any Commvault intervention is needed.

What other advice do I have?

We are currently working through what we need for disaster recovery in general, and Commvault already has a major place in that. However, there are several things that we do not currently use, so there may be an option to use more of it for that benefit. For example, the product supports archiving capability, which is something that we do not use at this time.

In summary, this is a good backup solution but considering my comments on the GUI, it is not perfect.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

Pedro Martins
Consultant at a integrator with 5,001-10,000 employees
A stable backup solution with an abundance of features

• "Commvault's many features can be explored to get more value from more solutions."

What is our primary use case?

We prefer Commvault because they are backup agents who have a vision about what we can do with applicable backup solutions. I have one solution with five local backups and remote backups between the five. First-line core backup and synthetic full backup for applications. These are our policies and logic to access the files and take over or restore files.

What is most valuable?

The main differentiator here is that Commvault has many features. You'll have to explore these features to gain knowledge about them, or you wouldn't know it's there.

Commvault's many features can be explored to get more value from more solutions.

What needs improvement?

The implementation is very difficult and should be improved and made easier. There are many features to explore to create more value from more solutions.

We want to do a course and explore the possibility of obtaining certification. This will help us gain a more comprehensive understanding to create solutions more efficiently. The most important thing for me is to have more courses and more possibilities to receive online certifications.

I have been using Commvault for a few weeks.

Commvault is stable but more difficult to understand without the technical specifications.

The initial setup is complex. I tested Commvault, investigated options, and checked that I had the right conditions to install. It took a lot of effort and two people to install it. It took us about two months to install Commvault.

I used documentation provided by Commvault and visited some forms, but I mainly used documentation from Commvault.

Another IT professional and I installed it in-house. We did it by following the documentation step by step, and some steps were more difficult than others.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Commvault to potential users. I'm satisfied with this solution.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Commvault a ten.

Diego-Torres
    Founder at AT Vault
    A unique administration platform and interface; its one platform is a key benefit for our customers

• "Commvault has a unique administration platform with more features than its competitors."
    • "Could be easier to implement."

What is our primary use case?

We are the most important communications company in Argentina. We deal with a large variety of customers. We are partners of Commvault and I'm the company founder. Our company provides IT solutions.

What is most valuable?

Commvault has a unique administration platform and interfaces, providing backup, archive, reporting and replication features. Commvault has more features than its competitors. Net Backup, for example, doesn't integrate a lot. Commvault has only one platform and this is important for the customer. They don't have a large market share in Argentina but whenever we present it to our customers they like the product and want to do a proof of concept.

What needs improvement?

The product could be easier to implement, they could create a new console to configure the solution. I'd like to see improvements on the user interface, support, pricing, and integration with other solutions. They could also improve their marketing of the brand.

I've been working with this solution for almost seven years.

The stability is good.

The scalability is good.

The initial setup is easy. Deployment time is dependent on the infrastructure of the customer.

What other advice do I have?

This is a relatively new solution for customers in Argentina, so I go to a lot of effort to know the solution well and to present it to our customers. It's not easy but I think that when the customer becomes familiar with the solution, many want to change to it. The stand out aspect of Commvault is that it supports its clients on a unique platform. Whether it's underlying solutions, cloud solutions, SAP Hana, for example, replication backup, archiving, reporting, all of this is one platform. I would suggest starting with small solutions, to learn the product and see if it's the best option for your needs.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

John Askew
    Systems Architect at The University of Auckland
    Good support and stable, but it is overly complex to use

• "Scalability, as well as stability, are a couple of important parts of this solution."
    • "This product is overly complex to operate and run."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Commvault to protect some of our workloads in the public cloud. We are using it in AWS SAM and Office 365.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

This product is overly complex to operate and run.

The price of this solution could be lower.

We have been working with Commvault for about 18 months.

From a stability point of view, it is very good.

It's extremely scalable. It's used across the coalition control team and the cloud team, so there are a couple of dozen administrators. We are running a great deal more than that in the backend systems.

The technical support is pretty good.

We used Spectrum Protect or Tivoli Storage Manager for quite a few years.

The initial setup looked complex so we contracted Commvault to do it.

Commault completed the deployment but even they had issues, particularly with getting Office 365 operating correctly. Their professional services were the ones who deployed it.

One of the issues with backup vendors is that they overprice, or overvalue their products.

We are looking at Metallic as an alternative because Commvault is a good product but it is a bit complex.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product and very capable. That said, my advice for anybody who is considering it is to make sure that it fits your purpose. If you can make do with a simpler product then choose a simpler product.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

JoaoLavrador
    Pre-Sales at Arrow ECS Portugal
    Protects all main applications, integrates well with NetApp

• "It's a complete software that can protect all the main applications. Perhaps that's the feature I like most. The integration with the NetApp and other apps is also very nice."
    • "I think the one thing that could be improved is the customer experience. The interface should be more user friendly."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is mainly used for virtualization and Oracle data protection. The customers I work with use it to protect their machines and active databases.

What is most valuable?

It's a complete software that can protect all the main applications. Perhaps that's the feature I like most. The integration with the NetApp and other apps is also very nice.

What needs improvement?

I think the one thing that could be improved is the customer experience. The interface should be more user friendly.

The price could perhaps be lower as well.

I believe it's very stable. That's why the customers who buy Commvault stay with Commvault.

The solution is scalable, because you can add app features. It's very possible to scale.

We have four or five customers, so that's probably around 20 users. We are in a small country.

The technical support is very good. It was not very difficult. I had a bug and the Commvault supporter helped perfectly.

The initial setup is straightforward. We need one or two integrators to deploy and maintain this solution.

We evaluated other options, but Commvault is a very complete solution. In the end, it's a very useful tool. Our customers will already know Commvault. Their software always compares well with other vendors.

What other advice do I have?

Perhaps, my best advice is to look for an integrator with expertise in Commvault to help deploy this solution. It's not that easy to install. It's not even possible after they all installed it. Customers should have someone with good expertise with Commvault to supply it.

I would rate this solution as eight out of ten.

JB
    Sr. IT Manager at a government with 10,001+ employees
    Good backup and restore capability for physical and virtual servers, but the reporting needs to be improved

• "This product has allowed us to recover data when we've had issues."
    • "It is a little more complicated than it really needs to be."

What is our primary use case?

I am primarily using Commvault for backing up the physical and virtual servers.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has allowed us to recover data when we've had issues.

What is most valuable?

This product does what it says it's going to do, and generally backs up the data that you want it to back up.

What needs improvement?

It is a little more complicated than it really needs to be.

Reporting could definitely be improved.

I have been using Commvault, personally, for about three years.

It works, and there are definitely some bugs, but nothing major.

As it gets larger, it gets a lot more complex in terms of the configuration. Generally, the larger it gets, the harder it is to manage. We probably have about 1,000 servers right now that it is backing up.

In general, technical support is okay. I would rate them a seven out of ten.

Prior to Commvault, we used Tivoli Storage Manager from IBM. It is a bit lacking in terms of features, compared to Commvault.

The initial setup was relatively straightforward.

The price is a little bit high.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is looking into implementing Commvault is to do their research. It's a good product for most use cases, although it's not the best. My main complaint is that it needs better reporting.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Download our free Commvault Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.