What is Commvault?
Commvault can help you transform your data into a powerful strategic asset, with data protection and information management solutions that enable you to protect, access and use all of your data anywhere and anytime.
Commvault Buyer's Guide
Download the Commvault Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021
Aberdeenshire Council, Acxiom, BAM Group Ireland, Catholic Education Diocese of Parramatta, CI Investments, Clifford Chance, Alliant Credit Union, American Municipal Power, American Pacific Mortgage, AstraZeneca, Dongbu Steel, Denver Health, Dow Jones, Emirates Steel, Penn State Health, Prime Healthcare, Sonic Healthcare, Sony Network Communications, TiVO, UCONN Health, The Weitz Company
Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- Review Length
Showingreviews based on the current filters.
Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Apr 2, 2019
In the VM, we have Live Recovery, Live Mount, and Live Sync
What is our primary use case?It's for the file system backup, reel backup, and databases. We have been using the solution for four years.
How has it helped my organization?We have a physical server with actual machines, applications, and databases running on it. We do a daily backup on these.
What is most valuable?In the VM, we have Live Recovery, Live Mount, and Live Sync.
What do I think about the stability of the solution?We are happy with the stability.
What do I think about the scalability of the solution?We are happy with the scalability. We have 30 to 40 physical servers with 100 VMs. With this product, it is not about users, but about the amount of nodes utilized. We will probably increase by two or three nodes in six months, depending on the requirements…
Senior Presales Consultant at OFFTEC International
Mar 28, 2019
Global deduplication and the indexing of the data object saves costs on the product side by doing compression and deduplication
What is our primary use case?For the past five years, I was part of a big team as a solution architect that was designing Commvault as a solution for different connector projects and enterprise sectors within the region: the Middle East, North Africa, and so on. Commvault is unique in the backup and recovery category. It has many features. If you are using the Commvault as a backup, you don't need any additional software to have an archiving solution. While with other products, you do. We use Commvault for backup, recovery, and archiving.
Pros and Cons
- "Global deduplication and the indexing of the data object are the most valuable features. It saves costs on the product side by doing compression and deduplication. It will help you and make your life easy to reach the data that you need within the minimum downtime when it's required."
- "The setup is not that straightforward or easy. Even the documentation is not generic or public like other products. You have to be a partner or you have to have a specific account and download it from the vendor themselves."
What other advice do I have?The advice that I would give someone considering this solution is that you need to have the right people and the right team to implement Commvault. Other than that it's a good tool. From the backup and recovery processes aspect, there's a feature currently they are working with us to enhance it. It does what it says it'll do. I would rate it a nine out of ten. Not a ten because there is a little complexity of the overall product.
Learn what your peers think about Commvault. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
501,818 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Storage Architect for Datacenter Proximus at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Aug 8, 2018
Stable, enterprise product, it has almost all databases in scope
What is our primary use case?We have it in our data center, and it's primarily used for our servers. We take backups of the data to protect ourselves. If by mistake we delete some data from the primary storage, we can restore the data from the backup. For the last six months, we have been providing a graphical user interface for our customers for Commvault so they can, themselves, restore files and folders.
Pros and Cons
- "It's an enterprise product. It's a stable product. We have good support. Almost all databases are in the scope."
- "You need quite a lot of human resources to maintain a Commvault environment, to keep it operational. Also, it would be nice to if there were an easier way set up some Commvault components."
- "The HTML interface is a remarkable improvement. However, there are still some features that are not available in that interface that are available in the Java console, but I'm sure that will come with time."
What other advice do I have?Commvault is certainly a vendor that you have to take into consideration if you are looking into a backup solution. It’s worthwhile to have a look at it. The most important criteria when selecting a vendor are cost and, perhaps, new features that Commvault maybe doesn't have, like backups to public clouds, for instance. But the primary factor is the cost. I would rate Commvault at eight out of 10 due to the stability, our relationship with the development team, and the quality of their backup of their solution.
Sr.System Engineer with 11-50 employees
Oct 30, 2017
Enables backup and archive in a single job
Pros and Cons
- "Backup and archive with a single window, with a single backup job. You only need to type "c"."
- "I just wanted to compare the features, which are there in EMC NetWorker, which are not available in Commvault. We have things using Networker."
Network Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
Sep 24, 2017
Good technical support, but the product could use more training
How has it helped my organization?Single pane of management Policy driven backup
What is most valuable?Cloud integration.
What needs improvement?Training.
What do I think about the stability of the solution?No.
What do I think about the scalability of the solution?No.
How is customer service and technical support?Good.
How was the initial setup?Complex.
What other advice do I have?Invest the time and resources to learn and develop your policies.
Sep 17, 2017
Built-in reports provide better visibility with almost zero effort put into the configuration
Pros and Cons
- "Great archive feature, OnePass, for the file system and Exchange servers."
What other advice do I have?Commvault is very committed to their product, so with either a small or very large environment, you can't go wrong choosing Commvault.
Sep 13, 2017
Has the highest backup/restore granularity that I have seen in any data management tool
Pros and Cons
- "A very stable and scalable platform (you can backup/restore/protect a couple of MBs or hundred of TBs as well from the same console/platform)."
- "Reduce the complexity for better understanding of the reports. There are a lot of variables in which you can get confused while elaborating on reports."
What other advice do I have?Try it. Think in functionality and solution rather than conventional big names believing that there is nothing better.
Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Jul 18, 2017
Consult with the Commvault team for proper hardware sizing and take suggestions on implementation phases
Pros and Cons
- "One-Pass (Archive) DataBase backup (Online Backup and Granular level restore), VM backup and restore."
- "Endpoint backup."
What other advice do I have?It's a good product, but consult with the Commvault team too, for proper hardware sizing and take suggestions on implementation phases.
Jun 30, 2017
A wide range of application-specific agents with very flexible options related to backup, recovery and data management.
Pros and Cons
- "Well documented SQL views and customizable reports, together with scripts and workflows provides ability to automate processes and ensure proper controls are in place."
- "Mostly controls, visibility, cost allocation."
Jun 22, 2017
One of the biggest features is the global deduplication of our data sets.
Pros and Cons
- "The cloud integration is a massive win for us, giving us a single backup service for all of our on-premise and cloud systems."
- "The new HTML5-based management portals are very nice, but do not yet have all of the features of the Java-based client."
What other advice do I have?Take the opportunity when engaging the Commvault sales team to walk them through other data management challenges that you have. You’ll likely find that the "backup" solution that you were looking for might be able to address these challenges and provide you with a greater ROI. This certainly worked for us and we have several new initiatives being developed to get more even value out of our deployment.
Senior System Administrator at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
The most valuable feature is the ability to backup over the dedicated Fiber Channel directly from SAN. There's no impact to the network or users.
Pros and Cons
- "The most valuable feature is the ability to backup over the dedicated Fiber Channel directly from SAN."
- "Bare-metal restore needs some work. It's not intuitive and seems to have been an afterthought."
What other advice do I have?The amount of hardware required to run the software and do the heavy lifting is this solutions biggest downside. In a time of reducing hardware being required to then add a media server a comm server a SAN and storage server and another media server. Well it's a bit overwhelming. Package it and create an appliance already. If SQL heavy plan to use the work flow for your automated processes that involve Commvault.
You can have deduplication on your primary as well as your secondary backup copies (tape, cloud, disk).
CommVault - Leader in Gartner Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup Software and Integrated Appliances five times in a row. Looking at the competition in the market, big names comes up; so how possibly CommVault has maintained this position in the last five years? Let us go over a few points that stands out in the Simpana 10 software suite: 1. Deduplication - this leads to a reduction in data being written to the selected storage for your backups. You can have deduplication on your primary as well as your secondary backup copies (tape, cloud, disk). 2. Bug fixes and hotfixes - Commvault has build their software from scratch; no acquisitions were made to build the suite up. We can therefore say that they have a very talented R&D and global team. Added to that their support…
NetApp E Series and CommVault Simpana
Data protection is a challenge for most organisations and many are very dissatisfied with their current solutions – common issues tend to be Point solutions are used for VMware/Hyper-V, physical servers, laptops, remote offices and archiving which increases complexity and costs Purpose-Built Backup Appliances (PBBAs) are used, whilst they work well, they further increase the costs Ever increasing amounts of data are becoming difficult to backup in the amount of time available Tape backups can be unreliable, restores are slow and they are expensive to manage To address the problem NetApp and CommVault have created joint reference architectures that consist of NetApp E-Series storage and CommVault Simpana software – just add virtual or physical servers and away you go. So how do…
Product CategoriesBackup and Recovery Software eDiscovery Cloud Backup File Archiving Disaster Recovery (DR) Software
Download our free Commvault Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
- Which software would you recommend for enterprise backup -- Commvault or Veritas Netbackup?
- What is the biggest difference between Veritas NetBackup and Commvault?
- When evaluating backup and recovery software, what aspect do you think is the most important to look for?
- Help! Need an opensource backup solution to work with OVM, Linux, Windows, Sql server, Exchange, Sharepoint. Plus bare metal recovery.
- Should I get a third-party backup solution for Office 365?
- What is the best next generation backup tool?
- Comparison between Acronis, VEEAM and Azure?
- How do you backup a SAN?
- Why is disaster recovery important?
- When selecting cloud backup and recovery software to protect your corporate data, what are your top 3 considerations?