Commvault OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Commvault is #1 ranked solution in top eDiscovery software, #1 ranked solution in top File Archiving tools, #3 ranked solution in top Cloud Backup tools, #3 ranked solution in top Disaster Recovery Software, and #4 ranked solution in best Backup and Recovery Software. IT Central Station users give Commvault an average rating of 8 out of 10. Commvault is most commonly compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Commvault vs Veeam Backup & Replication.Commvault is popular among Large Enterprise, accounting for 77% of users researching this solution on IT Central Station. The top industry researching this solution is Computer Software Company, accounting for 31% of all views.
What is Commvault?

Commvault can help you transform your data into a powerful strategic asset, with data protection and information management solutions that enable you to protect, access and use all of your data anywhere and anytime.

Commvault Buyer's Guide

Download the Commvault Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Commvault Customers

Aberdeenshire Council, Acxiom, BAM Group Ireland, Catholic Education Diocese of Parramatta, CI Investments, Clifford Chance, Alliant Credit Union, American Municipal Power, American Pacific Mortgage, AstraZeneca, Dongbu Steel, Denver Health, Dow Jones, Emirates Steel, Penn State Health, Prime Healthcare, Sonic Healthcare, Sony Network Communications, TiVO, UCONN Health, The Weitz Company

Commvault Video

Archived Commvault Reviews (more than two years old)

DM
Chief System Engineer at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
Offers good stability, scalability, technical support

• "It's very stable."
  • "The back of virtual machines needs improvement. I know they're working on it. They're always doing new things but I think they still have a little bit more to do."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for backing up the .NES file system. I backup VMware and Windows cloud servers. It's deployed on-prem.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, I would like to see disaster recovery options for the cloud. It was always off the scope because they're not really meant to be a disaster recovery solution but now they're getting there. From what I see, that there's no reason why they can't do disaster recovery, they have everything they need for it. They're beginning to do things but I'd like to see them delve more into that.

I have been using Commvault for the last four years

It's very stable.

It's scalable.

The other customers that had some issues with technical support but I, personally, have not had issues with them. I get good support.

I didn't install Commvault. It's not complex, but it demands optimization to do. An integrator did the implementation. It didn't look too complex, but there some things you need to take into consideration and there were configuration issues, fine-tuning, and things like that.

The deployment took around two days.

What other advice do I have?

One thing is the pricing. I think they're expensive. They're very good, but they're pretty expensive. It's a complex system that you have to sit on a little bit. You have to work on it. You have to be very aware of any backup program but here specifically, because it does so much, you have to always be conscious of what's happening.

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

KA
Expert System Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A leader in backup and archiving, but the solution should have higher availability

• "It's the leader in backup and archiving."
  • "Its competitor, Veeam, includes backup and replication in the same product. I don't know if Commvault has it or not, but they should if they don't."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Commvault is to archive our files. It allows us to move images from temporary storage to permanent storage. Commvault moves everything from the source to the destination, with categorization of the image archive.

What is most valuable?

Archiving and storage are very good.

It's the leader in backup and archiving.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs higher availability.

Its competitor, Veeam, includes backup and replication in the same product. I don't know if Commvault has it or not, but they should if they don't.

Also, they should have a module for reporting and supervising, like Veeam.

We've been using the solution for about six months now.

The solution is stable.

The pricing for the solution used to be very expensive, but over the last year or so it's been lowered.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

Commvault is an industry leader. Also, the price is competitive with other solutions, like Veeam. In Morocco, all customers chose Veeam because it's very simple and also their price is not expensive. Now that Commvault has adjusted pricing, they are another solution that people should consider.

I would rate the solution seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Commvault. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Syed FasihUr Rahman
Enterprise Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
A simple and unified backup solution that scales well and keeps our customers happy

• "It is much more scalable and flexible than everything else in the market."
  • "Support for this product needs to be improved because I have seen a couple of cases where it is taking more than the required time to solve issues."

What is our primary use case?

We provide our clients with this solution. Most of my customers use Commvault as a backup solution only.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution solves a lot of issues for the customers. Other solutions, such as EMC, offer an entire set of software products as part of the solution, whereas Commvault offers everything in one software application. This makes it very easy to replace competing backup solutions.

Secondly, the solution does not restrict our customers in terms of backup infrastructure. They can go and buy appliances from different partners, such as NetApp. Competing solutions are more strict with respect to the backup infrastructure, and customers don't like it. With an enterprise-level customer, you can imagine how the backup infrastructure costs grow.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the backup functionality. This solution is very good for server application backup, backing up laptops, desktops, file shares, etc. The architecture is well suited for it.

The highlight of the solution is the licensing. This is a one-window solution where you don't need to purchase different products. If you compare this to Veritas, they have different solutions such as Backup Exec, and NetBackup for servers. In Commvault, it's single product management.

The backup appliance makes it very easy for the customer to plan for future growth.

The database architecture of Commvault does not require you to have a particular database for different kinds of workloads. For example, the server, desktop, and laptop use a single, global application database. You don't have to create a different database and don't need to expand your backup infrastructure altogether.

What needs improvement?

From the perspective of the enterprise cloud archiving software, it does not resolve all of the data solutions that the customers are expecting. It works, but it is not up to the mark. They still need some time to improve the archiving and offer it within the single console management. We do not pitch the Commvault archiving solution to our customers. If they ask for it due to reasons of legality or compliance then we can supply it, but we prefer not to offer the Commvault archiving solution.

We did a POC with one of our customers who is archiving more than fifty thousand email accounts, all over the world, on a daily basis, and Commvault failed miserably. It was not able to provide that kind of performance. It can be good for up to three hundred user mailboxes, but not more than that.

The stability of this product, as a whole, needs to be improved to compete with archiving solutions such as Enterprise Vault.

The documentation is not up to the mark. They need to improve their support documentation because it is a little bit weak.

They need to expand more into private, hybrid, and public cloud systems. They need to be even more open than they are now with respect to integrating with public cloud systems. Cloud is the platform that system integrators are now selling, so it is important to have that support.

Between two and three years.

The backup performance and management are ok. However, when something is not working, it is probably fifty percent due to product immaturity.

The scalability of this solution is fine. It is much more scalable and flexible than everything else in the market. It is the one thing that they are good at. There is no doubt that they have simplified the licensing and purchasing model.

One of our enterprise-level customers for this solution is a very large telecom. They have lots of users. There are different databases and applications including Oracle, their ERP solution, Financial Suite, Greenplum, their CRM, filesharing services, and others. They also have a heterogeneous environment that includes Linux, Unix, Solaris, and Windows. There is also virtualization using VMware and Oracle virtual machines. Commvault is the only software that they have for performing backups, so they are one hundred percent reliant on it.

I do not have direct contact with technical support, so to be fair, my opinion is based on everything that I hear from the implementation team. In this context, I feel that the support for this solution, overall, needs improvement.

The documentation is weak, and they need to improve their support portal. They should be aware of the known issues in the market and address them. In general, their support needs improving.

Our large telecom client switched to the Commvault solution because of both cost and complexity. This product provides them with a simplified, unified solution. What they used previously was a set of several solutions. There were different backup solutions for the different platforms, desktops were backed up separately, there was different hardware to store it, and there was another tool for regulatory compliance. Each task used a different software application, and by implementing Commvault it brought everything into one solution and solved all of their problems.

The initial setup is straightforward. However, issues do not start at the initial setup stage. Once the environment is set up and you are going to take the backup job, pushing the enterprise policies, then problems can arise. It may be because of the backend infrastructure or the network, or something else. Whatever the issue, it is at this point where our customers sometimes need better support.

When it comes to the implementation and deployment, from day one until the backup process begins, it should not take more than one week. This is for a new system.

The deployment time for our enterprise-level, telecom customer was longer than average, in part because they already had an existing backup solution and they had to migrate to Commvault. It needed to be planned and implemented gradually, which required some cutoff dates. From start to finish, including streamlining the documentation and handing over everything, it took approximately one month.

We normally handle the implementation of this solution for our customers. If we are having a problem, or the transition is not smooth, then we involve Commvault to assist with the implementation.

I do not have direct experience working with the Commvault support, but I have heard that they are fair.

Without stating numbers that are confidential, I can say my understanding is that our clients have seen ROI.

The licensing is very simple, and one of the advantages of this solution. They have a subscription-based license, as well as a perpetual option, but that is all they have. It is easy to understand. There are no additional costs beyond the standard licensing fees.

The licensing fees depend on the size of the solution and the kinds of workloads. There are hardware costs, software costs, licensing, subscription, and support costs. Support contracts can be for one, two, or five years. All of this needs to be considered.

Overall, this solution provides value for the money. In my experience, compared to solutions like Veritas and Veeam, while they do have their technical pluses and minuses, Commvault can save you on average 40% initially, and then 20 to 25% annually.

We are partners with several different vendors, and I evaluate solutions based upon the customer's needs. These include solutions from Veritas, Commvault, and others. Before I reach out to them, I know what their hardware costs will be, and how much it will cost to maintain each solution. I also know what the costs are to maintaining their existing solution, and can compare this for them. This is how I can show them, for example, that their ROI will be realized within a couple of years.

What other advice do I have?

I have been using backup technology for more than fifteen years.

Commvault claims that they are doing all kind of things with archiving and compliance, but I have discussed this with my implementation team and they have not been receiving good feedback. There are a lot of issues in managing it.

When it comes to a backup solution, however, I do not suggest anything other than Commvault. It gives me room so that I can meet the customer's requirements both in terms of budget and performance, and they are happy with it.

For anybody who is implementing this solution, I would suggest only doing a POC if absolutely necessary. It drags out the implementation, so it should be minimized if it is done at all.

In summary, this is a unified product that is simple to use. It is a good backup solution.

it_user633354
Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
In the VM, we have Live Recovery, Live Mount, and Live Sync

What is our primary use case?

It's for the file system backup, reel backup, and databases. We have been using the solution for four years.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a physical server with actual machines, applications, and databases running on it. We do a daily backup on these.

What is most valuable?

In the VM, we have Live Recovery, Live Mount, and Live Sync.

We are happy with the stability.

We are happy with the scalability. We have 30 to 40 physical servers with 100 VMs. With this product, it is not about users, but about the amount of nodes utilized. We will probably increase by two or three nodes in six months, depending on the requirements…

What is our primary use case?

It's for the file system backup, reel backup, and databases.

We have been using the solution for four years.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

In the VM, we have Live Recovery, Live Mount, and Live Sync.

We are happy with the stability.

We will probably increase by two or three nodes in six months, depending on the requirements of our project.

We are very happy now with the technical support, as it is Indian. We previously had difficulty with the support being foreign.

We did not previously use another solution.

The implementation should be done by a certified Commvault engineer to avoid issues in the future.

What other advice do I have?

We are waiting for the new version to come out.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Distributor.
Thamer Salah
Senior Presales Consultant at OFFTEC International
Global deduplication and the indexing of the data object saves costs on the product side by doing compression and deduplication

• "Global deduplication and the indexing of the data object are the most valuable features. It saves costs on the product side by doing compression and deduplication. It will help you and make your life easy to reach the data that you need within the minimum downtime when it's required."
  • "The setup is not that straightforward or easy. Even the documentation is not generic or public like other products. You have to be a partner or you have to have a specific account and download it from the vendor themselves."

What is our primary use case?

For the past five years, I was part of a big team as a solution architect that was designing Commvault as a solution for different connector projects and enterprise sectors within the region: the Middle East, North Africa, and so on.

Commvault is unique in the backup and recovery category. It has many features. If you are using the Commvault as a backup, you don't need any additional software to have an archiving solution. While with other products, you do. We use Commvault for backup, recovery, and archiving.

How has it helped my organization?

From the cost perspective, it minimized the costs which reflected on the investment of the storage, even the investment on the network side. The algorithm and the technology that Commvault is using will be reflected in other parts of the IT components, like network, storage, etc.

What is most valuable?

Global deduplication and the indexing of the data object are the most valuable features. It saves costs on the product side by doing compression and deduplication. It will help you and make it easier to reach the data that you need within the minimum downtime when it's required.

What needs improvement?

The setup is not that straightforward or easy. Even the documentation is not generic or public like other products. You have to be a partner or you have to have a specific account and download it from the vendor themselves.

More than five years.

It is very stable. The product setup went well. It was deployed without any problems.

It is scalable. Commvault has recently changed the licensing. The licensing methodology makes things much easier and easy to scale up and scale out. Usually, the rate of technology they are accomplishing with other partnerships with vendors like Fujitsu is using the scale appliances which are massively scalable.

We have more than 11 customers over here, and in total, there are around 400 users. Some of them are in the financial sector and the government sector.

The amount of people we require for maintenance depends on the project. If it's a medium project, then it's around five.

Their technical support are very good. You can chat with the support engineers that are available 24/7 and can provide you with anything you need. I haven't had any major incidents that I've really needed them for.

We used Veritas. We switched because if I wanted to use a backup and recovery feature plus an archiving feature I would need to buy more software. With Commvault, I only need one license. It was not a centralized solution like Commvault is.

The initial setup was complex. The company itself and technology do not have a market share here in the region. Compared to other software or solutions which have most of the market share in the Middle East, it might be that people could use on the other software or other solution better. From the Commvault perspective, the way to install this solution is totally different than others. The mentality of how the solution should work is totally different than other competitors. In the Middle East, we don't have many technical people to work on it.

The time it takes to deploy will depend from sector to sector. If it is an enterprise with more than 1,000 users it can take around three weeks. If it's mid-range like SAP accounts it could take one week. Taking into account the features that you want to enable will not take that much time.

We integrated it ourselves.

It is not expensive. The prices are competitive. Other vendors are now adjusting their prices to compete with Commvault. Compared to other competitors and vendors the pricing is fair.

What other advice do I have?

The advice that I would give someone considering this solution is that you need to have the right people and the right team to implement Commvault. Other than that it's a good tool. From the backup and recovery processes aspect, there's a feature currently they are working with us to enhance it. It does what it says it'll do.

I would rate it a nine out of ten. Not a ten because there is a little complexity of the overall product.

it_user670536
Storage Architect for Datacenter Proximus at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Stable, enterprise product, it has almost all databases in scope

• "It's an enterprise product. It's a stable product. We have good support. Almost all databases are in the scope."
  • "You need quite a lot of human resources to maintain a Commvault environment, to keep it operational. Also, it would be nice to if there were an easier way set up some Commvault components."
  • "The HTML interface is a remarkable improvement. However, there are still some features that are not available in that interface that are available in the Java console, but I'm sure that will come with time."

What is our primary use case?

We have it in our data center, and it's primarily used for our servers. We take backups of the data to protect ourselves. If by mistake we delete some data from the primary storage, we can restore the data from the backup.

For the last six months, we have been providing a graphical user interface for our customers for Commvault so they can, themselves, restore files and folders.

How has it helped my organization?

They are evolving. Any time we encounter a problem, an issue, we have a good relation with the development of Commvault, and they work tightly with us together to solve the problem. The fix then becomes available in the new service pack.

What is most valuable?

It's an enterprise product. It's a stable product. We have good support. Almost all databases are in the scope. I can't really say anything bad about it. It’s a good, stable product.

What needs improvement?

I don't know exactly when they came out with the new HTML interface because, until then, the interface was a based on Java. The HTML interface is a remarkable improvement. However, there are still some features that are not available in that interface that are available in the Java console, but I'm sure that will come with time.

Another issue that comes to mind, that we have to pay attention to is, when a new service pack or hotfix comes out, it can happen that something that was working before does not work anymore. We really have to test it in our lab, before we are 100 percent sure we can introduce it in production and be 100 percent sure that everything still works that was working before.

Three to five years.

Stability is okay.

The new HyperScale solution from Commvault is a scale-out solution. We are not using it yet. One month ago, we did a book with the scale-out solution, so we do not have much experience with it. I expect a lot from it.

I'm not on the operational team, but what I hear from colleagues is that they are quite happy with the support. We have a good relationship with them.

What other advice do I have?

Commvault is certainly a vendor that you have to take into consideration if you are looking into a backup solution. It’s worthwhile to have a look at it.

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor are cost and, perhaps, new features that Commvault maybe doesn't have, like backups to public clouds, for instance. But the primary factor is the cost.

I would rate Commvault at eight out of 10 due to the stability, our relationship with the development team, and the quality of their backup of their solution.

it_user755382
Sr.System Engineer with 11-50 employees
Enables backup and archive in a single job

• "Backup and archive with a single window, with a single backup job. You only need to type "c"."
  • "I just wanted to compare the features, which are there in EMC NetWorker, which are not available in Commvault. We have things using Networker."

How has it helped my organization?

Earlier, the legacy was you needed to backup and, when you needed to do an archive, you needed to do an archive job again. With Commvault it is a single job, which does both backup and archive, so it does not touch the data twice.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Actually Commvault is good software. I just wanted to compare the features, which are there in EMC NetWorker, which are not available in Commvault. We have things using Networker, I just wanted to see what is the advantage over Commvault.

Commvault is very stable.

It is scalable, and it can grow up the environment.

No, it was in manual backup earlier, now it is an automated.

It was pretty simple and straightforward.

Symantec, Veritas. We chose this one because it was the first which had all available storage types, deep storage, cloud storage, and it has a global database system.

it_user537843
Network Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
Good technical support, but the product could use more training

How has it helped my organization?

Single pane of management Policy driven backup

What is most valuable?

Cloud integration.

What needs improvement?

Training.

Good.

Complex.

What other advice do I have?

Invest the time and resources to learn and develop your policies.

How has it helped my organization?

• Single pane of management
  • Policy driven backup

What is most valuable?

Cloud integration.

What needs improvement?

Training.

Good.

Complex.

What other advice do I have?

Invest the time and resources to learn and develop your policies.

Leader in Advanced Services department at a tech services company

• "Great archive feature, OnePass, for the file system and Exchange servers."

What is most valuable?

1. There are many features that I value Commvault for, but to name only a few:
    2. Wide support for different OSS and applications. You can backup almost anything with Commvault.
    3. Policy-based configuration, which allows for easily configurable policies for even larger environments.
    4. Central administration: Management and deployment are done from one administration console. No need to login to clients neither during configuration nor during installation. Upgrades and SP installation can also be done automatically or manually from the administration console.
    5. Great working global deduplication which saves a lot of space and bandwidth if you want to use replication. It can be configured as a source or target side.
    6. Ability to easily configure data flows between primary and secondary storage using different storage (disk, tape, or cloud) with different policies for each storage.
    7. Built-in reports provide better visibility with almost zero effort put into the configuration.
    8. Great archive feature, OnePass, for the file system and Exchange servers.
    9. Great stability and resiliency, and many others.

What needs improvement?

Licensing could be better explained. Sometimes, it's unclear what features are available in different licensing models.

If you set it right at the beginning, then it basically just works with very little administrative effort.

Commvault scales great in a scale-up and scale-out manner. E.g., if your backup server (MediaAgent) isn't enough anymore, you can simply add another. Same goes for disk space and other resources.

Very good. Guys from tech support are very quick to respond. On average, I had my issues solved in a day or two.

I use other solutions (TSM, Veeam, etc.) and Commvault is my number one for ability to easily manage very complex environments with very little administrative effort. Also, resiliency is it's strong advantage, i.e., if you backup SQL DBs with Commvault and someone does a backup outside of Commvault, it will automatically convert the next job (whether log or differential backup) to full where other solutions could simply fail.

Another great example is when doing VMware backups, Commvault automatically discovered hosts affected with a known CBT issue (in v6.0) and turn it off, where needed. This is the difference between just having a backup and having data that you can count on if you need it.

Initial setup may take some reading, but can be done pretty quick in simple environments. The administration console may be overwhelming at first look, but is very easy to use after some practice. I would say that given so many features and options hidden behind it, it is a job well done.

Evaluate different licensing models before buying. It can save a lot of money.

What other advice do I have?

Commvault is very committed to their product, so with either a small or very large environment, you can't go wrong choosing Commvault.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a partner of Commvault.
    it_user711297
    User

• "A very stable and scalable platform (you can backup/restore/protect a couple of MBs or hundred of TBs as well from the same console/platform)."
    • "Reduce the complexity for better understanding of the reports. There are a lot of variables in which you can get confused while elaborating on reports."

How has it helped my organization?

Since our corporation is big, it was really difficult to back up specific data types, manage admin roles, have true visibility of where my data was stored and whether it was effectively being backed up.

Now, I know where my backup data is. I can leverage on cloud storage technologies as well and restore it with granularity level that I have not seen in any other data management tool.

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of good features. Here are some of them:

• Capacity-based licensing
    • A very stable and scalable platform (you can backup/restore/protect a couple of MBs or hundred of TBs as well from the same console/platform).
    • Relatively easy to use GUI
    • You can protect/backup virtually any kind of data from virtually any corporate type application (in-house or commercial) from one management console.
    • Has the highest backup/restore granularity that I have seen in any data management tool.
    • An extremely fast search engine for restoring and securing data and is hardware agnostic so you do not depend on excessively expensive storage hardware.

A 10 out of 10.

Yes, we used a different solution. We switched due to consolidation and cost effectiveness.

Straightforward.

Know which type of data you are going to backup/protect and select the most appropriate bundle for you.

Yes. TSM and NetBackup.

What other advice do I have?

Try it. Think in functionality and solution rather than conventional big names believing that there is nothing better.

reviewer603831
    Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Consult with the Commvault team for proper hardware sizing and take suggestions on implementation phases

• "One-Pass (Archive) DataBase backup (Online Backup and Granular level restore), VM backup and restore."
    • "Endpoint backup."

How has it helped my organization?

Let's take the example of 5TB file data. Out of 5 TB, around 3 TB data is non-usable (Achievable).

With Commvault, we run a single job as a one-pass job, it will run backup and archive in a single job, no need to run two jobs for backup and archive them differently. It saves my backup window.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Endpoint backup.

Good, a nine out of 10.

Straightforward, it takes 30-40 min to setup the server.

New licensing is easy and affordable.

Yes, Symantec, EMC, and HPE.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product, but consult with the Commvault team too, for proper hardware sizing and take suggestions on implementation phases.

Unix&SAN team lead at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    A wide range of application-specific agents with very flexible options related to backup, recovery and data management.

• "Well documented SQL views and customizable reports, together with scripts and workflows provides ability to automate processes and ensure proper controls are in place."
    • "Mostly controls, visibility, cost allocation."

How has it helped my organization?

We have covered all our important applications by backup policy and ensure that application owners are aware, how data is backed up and what RPO is expected, as well as cost of such backup implementation.

Also, pretty we

What needs improvement?

Mostly controls, visibility, cost allocation. Other general features like backup protection (via multiple copies), storage optimization (like compression/deduplication, tape refresh etc.) were in place before we switched to CommVault.

Previously, with versions 8 and 9 yes. But starting from version 10 there were no major issues.

In general, no. But some features like context indexing and searching have some limitations, which should be considered from the very beginning.

I would rate at 9 out of 10. Customer service is arranged pretty well.

Depends on the topic. Issues related to configuration are resolved in a timely manner by first-line support. But if something needs to be escalated to development, it's really hard to predict when the issue will be resolved, even having BCS. The only way here is to have Professional Service in place, which is not reasonable from a cost perspective. Though, at the stage of initial assessment, first-time deployment or analysis of bottlenecks and potential issues/risks in future, Professional Service is definitely makes sense.

Overall rating: eight out of 10.

Yes, we had different solutions across locations. The decision was made to unify the backup solution across our branches. CommVault was chosen based on multiple factors.

Initial setup is pretty straightforward. But further migrations required a lot of effort (like DR setup, migration to another major version, migration of major components (CS/MA) to another servers, etc.).

We implemented in-house. Vendor (partner actually) was engaged during assessment of our environment before major version upgrade. Professional Service was very valuable. Level of expertise was really impressive.

I cannot estimate ROI for backup/archive solutions.

Can't provide such advice. It highly depends on initial environment and estimated growth for year and more.

Definitely yes. I would not reveal other options we looked into but I believe everyone is aware of the top five backup solutions.

Infrastructure team leader - senior infrastructure analyst, storage and virtualisation at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
    One of the biggest features is the global deduplication of our data sets.

• "The cloud integration is a massive win for us, giving us a single backup service for all of our on-premise and cloud systems."
    • "The new HTML5-based management portals are very nice, but do not yet have all of the features of the Java-based client."

How has it helped my organization?

We have changed out approach to our ROBO backup solution. Utilising Commvault we can now automate the decommissioning of our remote project sites and convert these on-premise backups into Azure hosted VMs. This not only brings the service online faster for our users but also reduces the operational impact of our remote IT staff, as they now no longer need to manually manage the data into the cloud or our eventual archive platform.

What is most valuable?

One of the biggest features is the global deduplication of our data sets. AWE have deployed a disk-to-disk-to-cloud solution for our on-premise backups. The capacity savings of this approach lead to significant cost savings on the long term retention of data in the cloud for us.

We have also been very impressed with the integration with public cloud services. We have deployed our Commvault environment on-premise and into Azure and this has given us the ability to not only make use of cloud storage for long tern retention, but also achieve the same level of protection as our on-premise systems for our Azure hosted IaaS VMs. We have also deployed backups from Commvault in Azure to our Office 365 install base too.

I have also been very happy with the automated updating of the platform. Since we have been running the platform we have had around five service packs released. These are automatically updated after a period of time (we set the system to defer updates for one month). The updates run without service disruption and patches the central management system, the media agents and the client agents too. Compared to our previous vendor this is another huge operational saving for out IT staff and ensures we get to utilize the new features that are dropped with each new SP.

What needs improvement?

The new HTML5-based management portals are very nice, but do not yet have all of the features of the Java-based client. I’d like to see all of the features move over to HTML5 so that we do not have to use Java ideally.

We have had no issues with stability. The service has been running for 18 months with no loss of service due to the platform.

We have grown our initial, on-premise VM-only backup solution to cover all three of our on-premise datacentres as well as our Azure IaaS and O365 environments. This was easy to do and the central management tool set easily coped with our rapid scaling up to our entire estate.

We have had excellent engagement with our account team and they have been very helpful in ensuring that we get the most out of the platform. We get regular contact and they are keen to listen to data management issues that we have and see how they can address them with the Commvault platform. This has led us to be engaged in a couple of Beta test programmes and get early access to new features in some cases that resolved our challenges.

Very good! We have had some very good dealings with support. In the main, this has been around us securing new systems and tweaking policies to get the best result for our infrastructure. In most cases the person answering the call resolved the ticket first time. When calls were escalated, the response was fast and the issue resolved to our satisfaction.

We often had scale issues with our previous vendor deployment or found other solutions were better for a particular system and so would introduce differing technologies to address these challenges. This led us to have a large and awkward-to-manage backup estate.

The biggest driver for us was to get all of the backup services into one tool set and to get better control and visibility of our data estate.

The initial deployment was straightforward. The only complex part was seeding our initial backup into Azure as, at the time, we were not on Express Route. We set bandwidth limits for aux copies during the working day and allowed the copies to burst out-of-hours. This just meant it took a week or so for the initial seeding to complete but all subsequent incremental copies ran fine.

After implementing Express Route we changes our architecture to copy the data through Azure hosted media agents into Azure storage. This then allowed us to seed much faster, although we now use the Azure import service for migrating large archive sets when required, as this is the fastest/cheapest approach we have found.

We used a vendor team to perform our initial deployment (a single resource). The consultant was very knowledgeable on the Commvault platform and made good recommendations regarding policy approaches to the various services we were targeting. The consultant performed a handover to our internal staff and we complimented this with certified training courses for the team who engage with our backup solution the most so that they could take on the task of scaling the deployment to the rest of our estate.

We have consolidated all of our backup technologies into the single platform and reduced maintenance costs and complexity in doing so. The OPEX costs equate to around the same but the biggest value returns have been in addressing our scale issues, ensuring compliance with backup policies and a significant reduction in operational staff’s time to manage the estate.

There is now a subscription based licence option that, depending on your environment, could offer a more efficient method to licence the solution if you are OPEX cost driven rather than CAPEX. This was not a concern for our deployment and we implemented on perpetual licences which had more commercial value to our business.

Initially we were looking at Veeam, as our first challenge was to address our on-premise VMware estate. Although they had a good vSphere integrated solution, we found limitations in cloud and beyond the virtual environment to be an issue for us. This was driven form our desire to have a tool set which could encompass all of our estate and allow us to simplify management and compliance etc.

What other advice do I have?

Take the opportunity when engaging the Commvault sales team to walk them through other data management challenges that you have. You’ll likely find that the "backup" solution that you were looking for might be able to address these challenges and provide you with a greater ROI. This certainly worked for us and we have several new initiatives being developed to get more even value out of our deployment.

Dan Gillman
    Senior System Administrator at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
    Leaderboard
    The most valuable feature is the ability to backup over the dedicated Fiber Channel directly from SAN. There's no impact to the network or users.

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to backup over the dedicated Fiber Channel directly from SAN."
    • "Bare-metal restore needs some work. It's not intuitive and seems to have been an afterthought."

How has it helped my organization?

Backups happen over night instead of 3 days. Storage for backups has been reduced by 60%.

What needs improvement?

We've had no issues with stability.

As we have used and scaled out the product SQL integration with the companies automated scripts proved to be a challenge. The Work Flow feature is your only solution and therefor you end up with a mix of scripts then relying on the products work flow to run and return expected results allowing your scripts to then continue. Not a very clean solution yet.

Customer service is very good. They called back within 10 minutes of a request. They understood the issue and resolved it.

Technical support is also very good.

Veritas

Complex with several separate hardware pieces and software modules. Media Servers, SAN, Fileserver, Comm Servers, Fiber Setup etc. Not extremely hard but lots of parts.

Vendor, I was not impressed with performance of vendor.

If budget allows using the per socket license and not the agent based with per GB counter for Dedup is the way to go.

What other advice do I have?

The amount of hardware required to run the software and do the heavy lifting is this solutions biggest downside. In a time of reducing hardware being required to then add a media server a comm server a SAN and storage server and another media server. Well it's a bit overwhelming. Package it and create an appliance already.

If SQL heavy plan to use the work flow for your automated processes that involve Commvault.

Systems Administrator at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    CommVault - Leader in Gartner Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup Software and Integrated Appliances five times in a row. Looking at the competition in the market, big names comes up; so how possibly CommVault has maintained this position in the last five years? Let us go over a few points that stands out in the Simpana 10 software suite: 1. Deduplication - this leads to a reduction in data being written to the selected storage for your backups. You can have deduplication on your primary as well as your secondary backup copies (tape, cloud, disk). 2. Bug fixes and hotfixes - Commvault has build their software from scratch; no acquisitions were made to build the suite up. We can therefore say that they have a very talented R&D and global team. Added to that their support…

2. Bug fixes and hotfixes - Commvault has build their software from scratch; no acquisitions were made to build the suite up. We can therefore say that they have a very talented R&D and global team. Added to that their support centers operates around the clock from corners of the world, and for those with a support contract I must say you will be blown away by the number of things these support guys can actually teach you.

3. Partnership and integration: So how come CommVault push to the forefront its support for multiple platforms and vendors(storage etc)? I have been to a few CommVault events, webinars and have noticed how the list of partners have been growing; Software partners, hardware/storage, Cloud.

4. What else have we noticed about CommVault? Single software platform; right!

With Version 11 release this year, lets see what else Commvault has for us.

Solutions Architect with 51-200 employees
    NetApp E Series and CommVault Simpana
    Data protection is a challenge for most organisations and many are very dissatisfied with their current solutions – common issues tend to be Point solutions are used for VMware/Hyper-V, physical servers, laptops, remote offices and archiving which increases complexity and costs Purpose-Built Backup Appliances (PBBAs) are used, whilst they work well, they further increase the costs Ever increasing amounts of data are becoming difficult to backup in the amount of time available Tape backups can be unreliable, restores are slow and they are expensive to manage To address the problem NetApp and CommVault have created joint reference architectures that consist of NetApp E-Series storage and CommVault Simpana software – just add virtual or physical servers and away you go. So how do…

Data protection is a challenge for most organisations and many are very dissatisfied with their current solutions – common issues tend to be:

• Point solutions are used for VMware/Hyper-V, physical servers, laptops, remote offices and archiving which increases complexity and costs
    • Purpose-Built Backup Appliances (PBBAs) are used, whilst they work well, they further increase the costs
    • Ever increasing amounts of data are becoming difficult to backup in the amount of time available
    • Tape backups can be unreliable, restores are slow and they are expensive to manage

So how do these joint reference architectures solve these issues?

• NetApp E-Series provides:
      • Huge amounts of high-throughput and easy to expand storage, at a cost per TB way lower than PBBAs, that either negates the need for tape or keeps its use to an absolute minimum
    • CommVault Simpana provides:
      • A single solution to address all the above data protection use cases – managed from one console
      • An advanced software based de-duplication engine, similar to that found in PBBAs, tightly integrated with the data protection application
      • Advanced techniques for reducing backup times (i.e. source-based de-duplication, archiving, incrementals forever and array snapshots)

So we know it is good, but how much does it all cost?

Hypervisor licenses Non-hypervisor licenses Replicated Disk Libraries Price
    Small 6 CPUs 1 Tb 2x31 TB NL-SAS usable £23,000
    Medium 12 CPUs 2Tb 2x103 TB NL-SAS usable £63,000
    Large 24 CPUs 4Tb 2x181 TB NL-SAS usable £85,000

The beauty of this solution is that it includes two disk libraries therefore backing up to tape will often not be required, unless very long term retention is needed and even then it is likely to be very infrequent.

The above table is designed to demonstrate the affordability of the solution, in reality most organisations would want to customise both the software licenses and the amount of storage capacity to meet their exact needs.

Download the NetApp E-Series & CommVault Simpana datasheet to learn more.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are Partners with EMC and CommVault.
    Download our free Commvault Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.