ConnectWise Control Overview

ConnectWise Control is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Virtual Meetings tools. It is most often compared to TeamViewer: ConnectWise Control vs TeamViewer

What is ConnectWise Control?

ConnectWise Control is a fast, reliable and secure remote support, access and meeting solution. Use remote support and access to repair computers, provide updates, and manage machines. Conduct online seminars and presentations using remote meetings. ScreenConnect includes the same features as competing remote control solutions.

ConnectWise Control is also known as ScreenConnect.

ConnectWise Control Buyer's Guide

Download the ConnectWise Control Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

ConnectWise Control Customers

Jon Rosen Systems

ConnectWise Control Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Senior IT and Telecommunications Consultant Extraordinaire~ at a tech services company
Easy to use remote access but it lacks the ability to control Windows updates and patches

What is our primary use case?

We mostly use the unattended access. We only use the on-demand, remote support solution on occasion but it's good to have on the off chance that we're dealing with a customer who is not under contract with our service. We have just three people that use ConnectWise. We're not using any extensions.

• "It's very easy to use, very easy to understand. It gives us remote access to the PC without any issues."
  • "For my company, just installing the software and using it is very easy. But if I need to give one of my customers access to their machines, the process that you have to go through is some 15 to 20 steps. You have to create a group, and then you have to assign a policy. It takes 15 to 20 minutes to set up someone for remote access to their own machine."
  • "What we need this product to do is to be able to control Windows Updates. LogMeIn Central allowed us remote access but also allowed to push and install Windows Updates, and third-party updates... When we made the switch to ConnectWise we lost the ability to do patching. That forced us, for our larger clients, to move to WSUS. We had to set up a VM on those larger clients to push Windows Updates and patches into the network."
  • "We have had issues. We have had circumstances, for reasons we don't know, where the service will stop running, and when the service stops running that computer no longer becomes reachable. We haven't really seen that so much on desktops, but we have seen that happen quite frequently on server operating systems, Server 2008, Server 2012. You can install the product and then a week down the road it will just stop."

What other advice do I have?

It's very easy to use. I created a YouTube video to show people how to use it and it was relatively quick. In terms of advice, something that helps us is that we build agents by client and we have a secret web page that people can download them from.
Owner
A straightforward product, which is easy to use and deploy

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for the solution is remote support, as it is simple and pretty easy to use. I have enabled the command prompt extension for Windows. I use both the unattended access functionality and the remote support, but mainly primarily just the unattended access.

• "it gives me the ability to remotely connect to machines that I manage without user intervention."
  • "There is an issue which is pretty rare, but I find it at least when connecting from my mobile device. I am forced to refresh the screen by changing the screen quality to get screen updates. This only happens sometimes."
  • "I was not thrilled with their support. I do not have a lot of time to deal with the attention which is needed to fix issues."

What other advice do I have?

I am overall satisfied with the product. It is a pretty straightforward product, which is easy to use and deploy. I do not have any qualms with it.
Learn what your peers think about ConnectWise Control. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
501,499 professionals have used our research since 2012.
CEO
Reseller
Session groups and triggers make a greater degree of organization possible

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to access my devices remotely, since it is simple to use and responds quickly. Four people in my organization will be using this product. We enabled the following extensions: Edit web.config appSettings, edit app.config settings, Guest Session Starter, and Translation Extension Builder. We are primarily using unattended access.

• "The product's two-factor authentication means we are not worried like before about the state of our security."
  • "Session groups and triggers are the most valuable features, because they make a greater degree of organization possible. Greater degree of organization is valuable to my organization, because we have many sessions to handle."
  • "Support for PAC files on the guest's side and support for proxy on the host's side. Currently, there is no support for guest-side PAC files or for the host-side proxy (which uses authentication)."

What other advice do I have?

If you use proxies in your environment, then make sure to test out the product beforehand to see whether this product works in your environment.
MM
Senior Marketing Analyst at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
It is super easy to use and relatively inexpensive

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for this solution is remote support. The product is extremely easy to use. I am the only person in my office using it. I have enable all the possible extensions available through ScreenConnect. I use both the unattended access functionality and the remote support functionality.

• "It is super easy to use and relatively inexpensive."
  • "The unattended access functionality is a valuable feature, because I can go in at any time that I want, deploy fixes, or do maintenance."
  • "There is one back-end issue that I am running into at some of locations where I login to provide support, and sometimes port 443 is blocked. That is what it uses to connect. So, I am having to do workarounds to get a session started."

What other advice do I have?

Just do it. Especially people who are subscribing to LogMeIn or TeamViewer, they are not going to miss anything.
Owner at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The recent redesign has made it slower and basically worthless

What is our primary use case?

We are using this product as a Managed Services Provider. Two people in our business use this product. We use both the unattended access functionality and remote support. The console is okay at best. The recent redesign has made it slower and basically worthless.

• "Remote support is efficient and easy for our end users to receive support."
  • "The initial setup is fairly straightforward."
  • "The recent redesign has made it slower and basically worthless."
  • "Speed is a major factor in Automate, and the control panel is horribly slow."

What other advice do I have?

If your looking at anything aside from Control, keep looking.
IT Network Specialist at a educational organization
Very easy to use, I can fix end-users' computers from my office

What is our primary use case?

Connecting with end users, remotely. There is just one user in my business and I have not enabled any extensions. We just downloaded it and I use the client from my desktop.

• "If it had Chrome capability, that would be great; being able to use it on a Chrome device. Right now, I can't use it on my Chrome device."

What other advice do I have?

Get it. Save time, save mileage. There are no cons, all pros. I don't know how I functioned for that half a year without it.
    Owner
    Cost-effective business solution for remote access, but initial setup was complex

What is our primary use case?

Connecting to end-user computers, from a customer standpoint. We have two to three people using it. We primarily use remote support. We don't use the unattended access functionality nor do we have extensions installed.
    Dentist at a wellness & fitness company
    Gives me reliable remote access and allows IT to troubleshoot problems

What is our primary use case?

Both my IT guy and I use it to be able to access any computer remotely. Only the two of us have access to it. We mostly use the remote support.

What other advice do I have?

Once I figured out how it worked, it's not too hard. It's a matter of remembering the numerous steps that are necessary to get into the software, and then to access the particular computer that I'm interested in. My IT guy can do it much faster than I can because I only rarely have to use it.
    RH
    IT Manager
    Shows end-points' connection status so I can troubleshoot network issues

What is our primary use case?

Remote access to end-points. We don't use the unattended access functionality. We've had two people using it. We did not enable extensions.

• "It's very easy to use. Provides connections that are always on. It was nice to be able to see a list of end-points and see whether or not they were connected so I could troubleshoot any network issues I had."
    • "Setup was very straightforward. All I had to do was write a GPO on my domain controller and it automatically installed the agent that I downloaded from the software. I literally had to do nothing."

What other advice do I have?

Try it first before you buy it. It's really all just based on your personal preference. I think that the interface looks good, but someone else might not like the interface. It really just depends on how you like to set up your workflows and whether or not you like the way that they've set it up.
      System Administrator/Engineer
      Unattended access is a key feature for our use case

What is our primary use case?

We use it to give support to our customers. We have three technicians using it and 300 or 400 clients as well. We do have some ConnectWise extensions in use, and we use both unattended access and remote support functionalities.

• "Unattended access is the most important feature."

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product.
        AW
        IT Manager
        We are able to embed it in our web page with browser-dependent instructions

What is our primary use case?

We use it for remote support for ad-hoc clients. We have contract clients as well but we use SolarWinds for those, as an RMM dashboard. We have ConnectWise as a type of backup option and for clients on whose systems we don't have our monitoring agent installed. We only have one license which we share, as a backup, there are just three of us. It's not the primary software that we use. We do use two ConnectWise extensions, one called Remove Thumbnail Preview and another one called Report Manager.

• "We like the fact that on our website we can have the ConnectWise bit embedded, and it has instructions for the end-user about what they need to do. Previously, on LogMeIn, we used to have to almost talk them through everything... ConnectWise has step-by-step instructions, depending on the browser."
        • "Reporting could definitely use improvement. With LogMeIn Rescue, I used to be able to, for instance, at the end of the month, pull off a report of every session. It was very simple... I could see the name that was typed in, the IP address to the computer that it was connected to, if it was running Windows... It just doesn't seem - there might be but I haven't found it - to be a way of pulling that information out of ConnectWise."

What other advice do I have?

Go with the cloud version, rather than the on-premise. You don't have to have your own equipment. It is nice that it is looked after, it's in the cloud. We've had no problems with it. I would rate ConnectWise at eight out of 10, just because it is lacking in the reporting functionality, being able to find out, for instance, what remote connections were made two weeks ago or last month, for auditing purposes. I don't seem to be able to do that at the moment. I haven't investigated it too much but I just don't seem to be able to have the same reporting functionalities we had in LogMeIn Rescue.
        SA
        Manager of Implementation and Support
        Gives our engineers quick access to our clients' respective infrastructures

What is our primary use case?

Remote access. We use the Guest Session Starter extension. We have between eight and 10 people using it in our company and we use both the unattended access and remote support functionality.

• "There needs to be a way to run the agent without installing, like GoToAssist."

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you go through your requirements first.
          RF
          User at a tech company
          I can flip quickly among many monitors, detune video for fewer colors to make it faster

What is our primary use case?

We use it to support our company's customers. There are about 10 of us using it. We don't have any extensions enabled. We use both unattended access and remote support functionality.

• "Valuable features include the responsiveness, ability to tune up and tune down the connection, and video."
          • "Being able to flip quickly between however many monitors that I have running, detune the video for black and white, or with fewer colors to make it faster, is amazing."
          • "The flexibility to manage bandwidth and organize connections, and the price, make ConnectWise a really good choice."

What other advice do I have?

We like it. We recommend it to other companies. It's easy to use, and it's easy to understand, and it works very well. I would just say use it.
            IT & Operations at a consumer goods company with 51-200 employees

What is most valuable?

Remote connect via webpage. I use it to support employees when I am not in the office or when they are at a remote location.

How has it helped my organization?

I am able to support our remote users. This has been a great help.

What needs improvement?

Mobile interface.

I've used this solution for four months.

N/A.

Yes, I used TeamViewer and I found theirs to be a little less friendly and more expensive.

Good price…
            Founder
            I just clicked on what I wanted and all options were easy to setup

What is most valuable?

Remote access on all devices.

How has it helped my organization?

Better than TeamViewer and useful for fixing problems remotely.

What needs improvement?

They could provide a toolbox for the plan I'm on.

I've used it for a few months.

Haven't needed it.

TeamViewer, which was too expensive for the features.

Yes, straightforward, because I just clicked on what I wanted and all options were easy to setup.

What's my experience with pricing, setup

Senior System Administrator at a tech company with 51-200 employees
            It runs as a service and automatically reconnects if the client is rebooted. The previous version used to get blocked by anti-virus apps.

What other advice do I have?

The products works well for what they are designed to do. However, if you are an MSP, you may need other software for reporting.
            CTO at Techexeconline.com
            Makes unattended remote access faster and simpler than the other products I tried.

What is most valuable?

The ability to directly control a computer without having to worry about remote login on the destination computer.

What needs improvement?

The file transfer function could be a little more robust for multi-file transfers.

I have been using ScreenConnect for about three months now.

I've had no issues whatsoever, the application is very easy to deploy and very responsive.

The services scales very easily and adding additional seats is, thankfully, very simple.

I would give them 10/10 as they have been quick to respond to any inquiries I have had.

How was

Principal at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
            Senior Technical Support Specialist at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Has the ability to transfer support to another admin/technician on the fly. If the connection is not strong, it can lag behind.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a quick and easy web-based connection session without the need to be on intranet, then this is the solution for you.
            President at IBF Consulting
            Responsive and easy to install. I would like a full-blown fat client/desktop application.

What other advice do I have?

The product works very well and is easy for end users to install. I really like it.
            Director of Information Technology at a hospitality company with 51-200 employees
            It has become our default solution, especially for laptop clients.

What other advice do I have?

The simplest advice is give it a trial. It’s easy and it works.
            IT Admin at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
            The most valuable features are what it's made for, to control other computers. There are some bugs.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell someone interested in ScreenConnect the pluses and the minuses. If their needs are covered, I would recommend it. Different companies require different approaches to their clients. ScreenConnect answers most of them, but not all of them.
            Sage X3 Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
            The ease of setting up a connection with a client is the most valuable feature.

What other advice do I have?

Enjoy the product.
            Franchise Operations Specialist at a recreational facilities/services company with 501-1,000 employees
            With ScreenConnect it's easy to jump in and troubleshoot or do setup on the end users computer.

What other advice do I have?

Just try it out. It’s always easier to get a feel for software when you’re actually using it.
            Network Admin at a hospitality company with 10,001+ employees
            Enables us to provide access to our consultant without granting him access to the entire network.

What other advice do I have?

SaaS Cloud Hosted was dead simple. Make sure the access rules on your firewall(s) have the right allowances in place. It does require internet access for both the host and remote machines, which can be a challenge for some setups.
            Business Process Manager at a construction company with 501-1,000 employees
            Great performance when connecting remotely.