Control-M Overview

Control-M is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Process Automation tools. It is most often compared to AutoSys Workload Automation: Control-M vs AutoSys Workload Automation

What is Control-M?

Control-M simplifies application and data workflow orchestration on premises or as a service. It makes it easy to build, define, schedule, manage, and monitor production workflows, ensuring visibility, reliability, and improving SLAs.

• Accelerate new business applications into production—by embedding workflow orchestration into your CI/CD pipeline
  • Scale Dev and Ops collaboration, with a Jobs-as-Code approach
  • Simplify workflows across hybrid and multi-cloud environments with AWS, Azure and Google Cloud Platform integrations
  • Deliver data-driven outcomes faster, managing big data workflows in a scalable way
  • Take control of your file transfer operations with integrated, intelligent file movement and visibility

Control-M is also known as Control M.

Control-M Buyer's Guide

Download the Control-M Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Control-M Customers

CARFAX, Tampa General Hospital, Navistar, Amadeus, Raymond James, Railinc

Control-M Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Control-M pricing:
  • "The cost is basically $100 a job, give or take."
  • "This is an area where it is a little difficult to work with BMC. They want to do licenses by job, which is what we have. For example, the simplest is to license by job, but they can also license by nodes. While the licensing is simple to use, it might not be the correct licensing model for the customer. It is okay because we want to license by job, which is something measurable. At the end of the day, licensing by job is the most important."
  • "Pricing can be steep, but you get what you pay for."
  • "Licensing costs are around $3000 a year."

Randy Scott
Sr. Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use, extremely stable, and offers excellent technical support

What is our primary use case?

A lot of the things we've done are just based on our needs, not so much because the product allows you to do it. Basically, I can do everything in Control-M. I mean, we've got plugins for Oracle, SQL, and Informatica, and I can go on and on and on. However, we don't use any of them as our developers prefer not to. A lot of what they do is they do the necessary connections through the batch files themselves. It's used for our daily batch. It handles all the batch processes and a lot of our maintenance processes. I would say most of it is file movement of some sort. A lot of it is daily… more »

• "Technical support is very helpful and available 24/7."
  • "While they have a very good reporting facility, the reports that I'm asked to produce, a lot of times aren't necessarily what we need."

What other advice do I have?

We're customers and end-users. We're using the latest version of the solution. By far, BMC, from what I have seen, is the industry leader and they are the Cadillac of scheduling. I've worked with a lot of different scheduling systems over the years. When I first got into IT, years and years and years ago, as a JCL programmer, basically you had access to the scheduling system and you took care of the jobs. When jobs failed, you would do the restarts on them, do whatever fix needed to be done, and get them restarted, and get them to rerun. That was on a mainframe. I've used Cron, and I've worked…
NP
Director at a performing arts with 5,001-10,000 employees
By using the credentials vault, we don't need to share passwords anymore

What is our primary use case?

Because of security issues that we have, we are a private and public enterprise. Our main area is the lottery in Portugal. This is the most important business that we have. Also, because the money comes from the game, we need to invest it in social, health, and real estate areas.

• "Before Control-M, we didn't have a centralized view and could not view what happened in the past to determine what will happen in the future. The Gantt view that we have in Control-M is like a project view. It is nice because we sometimes have some application maintenance that we need to do. So, in a single console, we can hold the jobs for the next hour or two. We can release that job when it is finished. This is a really nice feature that we didn't have before. It is something really simple, but we didn't previously have a console where we could say, "For the next two hours, what are the jobs that we will run? And, hold these jobs not to run." This is really important."
  • "We develop software. More frequently, we are working with microservices and APIs, using our integration tool, MuleSoft. While Control-M is really a good tool to integrate with other tools, it is important for them to continue improving their microservices and API."

What other advice do I have?

I think that every single company should have Control-M installed, because it is really important and useful for everyone. I would rate this solution as a 10 out of 10.
Learn what your peers think about Control-M. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,742 professionals have used our research since 2012.
FaisalSyed
Presales- BMC Software at TechAccess
An intuitive, stable, and easy-to-use solution that provides insights and has a single window for defining workflows

What is our primary use case?

My client is one of the largest banks in Pakistan. They are using it for their international branches as well as for branches all over Pakistan. They have around 16 or 17 international branches in Gulf, North America, South Africa, Seychelles, and Singapore.

• "It has multiple features. You can plan your execution in Control-M. It provides one single window where you can define workflows regardless of geographic boundaries and platforms. A batch process can be executed from this single window. It provides insights into your processes. Your business people will know what process they are running and what is the state of the process. Instead of knowing that they're not going to meet the SLA the next morning, the business people immediately know the changes in their process. Control-M is very easy. I can tell a non-technical person that this is how it works, and he would be able to easily understand it. Business people can understand the methodology of Control-M and the intuitive features that it has. It has a fantastic graphical user interface and is easy to understand. You just have to drag and drop but in a very intuitive way. Monitoring features are also good. It has different color coding schemes, which can help you to understand the status of your workflow. An operator who is not that technical and is just monitoring the status of the application can see by color-coding the status of a process. If anything goes wrong or a process is stuck, it gives you a hint. You can just right-click and see the logs and the output. Even if the system is not right there in the data center and is located somewhere else, you can monitor it right from there and see the workflows."
  • "A Control-M on-prem license is based on the number of jobs, which is the number of tasks a particular customer wants to have. These tasks have to be run within 24 hours window. For example, if you have a license for 100 jobs, you can run a maximum of 100 jobs in a 24-hour window. If your operations could not run 10 jobs, and they ran only 90 jobs, they just carry over to the next day, but the next day, they will have 110 jobs. Control-M asks you to buy those 10 more licenses because you were out of compliance in terms of the number of licenses. This is something that needs to be indicated in Control-M GUI so that customers know the number of licenses they're going to use in this time window. Their support and documentation should be improved. I am not that satisfied with their customer support. Sometimes, they don't have the answers. Their documentation is very poor. It is not well written, and it is not in a very logical manner. You can use it on Unix, Linux, Windows, and AIX, but it needs some improvement on iSeries. It needs a built-in mechanism inside the system to give you an option to restore from the last point of failure. If a process crashes, the Control-M needs to have a mechanism in iSeries where the process can be restored from the last point of failure."

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend this product. Its setup is complex, but once the setup is done, it hides away all the complexity. The end-user will have a very clear and intuitive interface to define the workflows. It is very easy to use. I would rate Control-M an eight out of ten.
BB
Application Automation Deveoper at iPSL
Easy to use, integrates well, and provides visibility that is invaluable

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for enterprise workload automation in the financial industry. We schedule and monitor hundreds of business-critical processes. We also leverage the Managed File Transfer capabilities of Control-M to handle our file transfers securely & efficiently. Most of our tasks also deal with databases, and Control-M's purpose-built module for the databases comes in very handy when handling database components. It adds value with its capability to execute tasks natively and bring more information to the output. The BIM feature is used to monitor the important set of jobs as a service… more »

• "Most of our tasks also deal with databases, and Control-M's purpose-built module for the databases comes in very handy when handling database components."
  • "A developer sandbox could be very helpful to try out new features or experience them."

What other advice do I have?

I like this solution, and my advice is to go for it :)
Anthony Heilbronn
IT Specialist TWS at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
One of the best options on the market with good stability and good add-on features

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for scheduling, including compiling for scheduling and financial scheduling across our countries. We use the schedule for 19 African countries and also in the UK, on the Isle of Man, where our corporate business is done.

• "The initial setup is largely straightforward."
  • "You need to pay for extra features if you need them."

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and end-user. We use the latest version of the solution. We try to stay on the most advanced option. It is deployed both on-premises and on the cloud. We also use various clouds, including public and private. IBM Workload Scheduler and Control-M are far superior to any of the other products on the market. In general, I'd recommend TWS or IBM Workload Scheduler to other organizations. I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. It's a top-of-the-line product.
Robert-Stinnett
Sr. Automation Engineer at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Increases efficiency, helps maintain compliance, and the Automation API is very helpful

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for automating workloads across traditional data centers, the cloud, SaaS offerings, and various other Enterprise software packages. It is allowing developers and product owners to create complex workflows that may encompass several different products or technologies and have it all visible, monitored, and managed from one place.

• "The Automation API has opened up a world of possibilities for us, including the ability to create workflows on-demand using traditional DevOps tools."
  • "The next major release needs to focus on the lightweight web client."

What other advice do I have?

You can try it without buying it. I would suggest checking out the workbench at: https://jobsascode.io This is a free version of the Control-M package that is perfect to take for a spin.
Cristian Martinez
Pre-Sales Engineer, Solution Architect, Technical Area Coordinator at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
Very easy implementation, good integration capabilities, and very stable

What is our primary use case?

We have a lot of projects with many companies, mostly in México. There are two main companies in the retail sector. The clients use this solution for their process orchestration.

• "The solution has the power to reduce resources, which is good for business. It is constantly updated to remain compatible with new technologies such as Amazon, Azure, and Google Cloud. It's very easy to take advantage of the compatibilities."
  • "The infrastructure could be improved."
  • "Right now, Control-M is the leader in EMA analysis, which is similar to Gartner. However, clients want to invest in a strong technology, and therefore this product needs to keep up with the high expectations set for it."

What other advice do I have?

We're BMC partners. We have a business relationship with the solution. While we typically handle on-premises deployments, we also deal with the cloud. I would recommend the solution. My recommendation is based on the stability, the constant evolution, and the capabilities of the integration with other software. The implementation is easy. It's easy to use and easy to implement then it's worth the expenditure. Overall, I would rate the solution ten out of ten. We've been very happy with it.
SD
IT Manager at a consumer goods company with 201-500 employees
It helps us keep track of our help desk tickets but it is not very user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to keep track of our help desk tickets.

• "I find it very helpful to be able to keep track of all our help desk tickets."
  • "There's a lot of room for improvement and I think it can be more user-friendly."

What other advice do I have?

My rating for this solution is five out of ten. It's not bad, but it's not good either. There's a lot of room for improvement and I think it can be more user-friendly. In the next version I would like to see something with integrated mobile device management so that I can keep track of software and devices, having it all in one software for our help desk. I think it would be very useful.
See 4 more Control-M Reviews