Control-M Overview

Control-M is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Workload Automation tools. It is most often compared to AutoSys Workload Automation: Control-M vs AutoSys Workload Automation

What is Control-M?

Control‑M is a digital enterprise management solution that simplifies and automates diverse batch application workloads while reducing failure rates, improving SLAs, and accelerating application deployment.

Automate job scheduling and application deployment

• Connect applications and workflow processes to quickly and reliably deliver business services
  • Realize the potential of big data while freeing IT for other tasks
  • Take control of your file transfer operations with secure scheduling, instant status visibility, and automated recovery
  • Accelerate application change and deployment cycle times with automated application workflow between test and production
  • Empower users to make decisions in real time and perform basic tasks in a view and language they understand
  • Deploy Control-M on-premises or on the cloud

Control-M is also known as Control M.

Control-M Buyer's Guide

Download the Control-M Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Control-M Customers

CARFAX, ChipRewards, Sun Chemical, University of California, Unum

Control-M Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

User at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
User
It has the ability to handle files remotely, but a smartphone interface would be welcome

What is our primary use case?

Relatively small setup for ETL jobs only. We do not use Control-M for enterprise-wide scheduling and automation.

How has it helped my organization?

Job scheduling for our ETL batch jobs has become streamlined and more efficient.  We are now able to deliver data to our data warehouses and dashboards promptly.

What is most valuable?

There is a wide range of connectors.  Ability to handle files remotely through the advanced file transfer feature.

What needs improvement?

A smartphone interface would be welcome.  Finding documentation on the website can be a bit confusing.

Three to five years.
Principal, IT Data Research and Mining Analyst at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Enables batch job automation and the dashboards allow us to see what's happening

What is our primary use case?

It is primarily for batch job automation. It's working just fine.

• "Automation of the batch jobs is the most valuable feature."
  • "I would like to see automatic license management. And probably more importantly, some kind of machine learning to help identify the optimum automation path."

What other advice do I have?

Your process, standards, and control libraries: It's really important to have an advanced strategy around how development is going to take place. If each team is doing their own thing, it's hard to manage it. My most important criteria when selecting a vendor, in this case, since it's a mature product, would be ease of migration and, obviously, reduction in cost. I rate it a nine out of 10. What would make it a 10 would be a reduction in the cost and, even more so, the intelligent automation. The ability to do some machine learning and dynamically reduce the amount of time that the automation…
Learn what your peers think about Control-M. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
479,323 professionals have used our research since 2012.
BS
Head of IT Procurement at a renewables & environment company with 5,001-10,000 employees
We are able to let users access the system and manage jobs: self-service

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case is automation, and it has performed fine.

• "You can let users access the system and manage jobs: self-service."

What other advice do I have?

If you can afford it, it's good. If you do have an unlimited budget, or budget is not the main concern, and you want stability then I would say go for this. It's easy to use, it's easy to install, it's easy to run, it's easy to operate. I have a student assistant who had six hours of e-learning and she can run the system. That's good. Yes, you need the right student assistant but she doesn't have any IT background. It's very easy to use but also an expensive product. In terms of criteria when selecting a vendor, if I am to decide the vendor, it would be the biggest bang for the buck and then…
    DW
    Operations Manager at L Brands, Inc.
    User
    It maintains and monitors workloads

What is our primary use case?

* We use it to run batches in SAP, Teradata, WMS, Manhattan, and a wide array of applications. * We use it for mainframe, AS/400, Linux, Unix, and \Windows servers.

• "There is a batch monitoring tool called Batch Impact Manager, which proactively warns when processing is behind and SLAs are in jeopardy of being missed."
    • "Maintaining and monitoring of workloads have been and continue to be the most valuable feature in our environment."
    • "It has a slight issue with daylight savings time while advancing the clock in the Spring."
    Operations Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    The ability to dynamically predict batch run time is so valuable

What is our primary use case?

We implemented Control-M to replace our mainframe only scheduler and the other disparate group of schedulers that we had used in lieu of a cross platform solution. That was nearly five years ago, and it has had a huge impact on the speed in which we can implement new solutions.

• "We can tie together all the workloads across the estate and make the whole process reactive to events."
    • "The ability to dynamically predict batch run time is so valuable."
    • "It is a very strong product, but the reporting could be better."
    Co-fundador with 1-10 employees
    User
    Speeds up processes and automated tasks

What is our primary use case?

Main use: Control of batch processing for many subprocesses on the servers in our datacenters for many of our customers.

How has it helped my organization?

Speeds up processes and automated tasks. BMC has taken the control of batch processing very far.

What is most valuable?

Unlike the batch controls of other solutions, BMC includes a graphical user interface (GUI). It is comprehensive and a little daunting, but there are many options you can pick.

What needs improvement?

Consider adding a mobile application for remote management or expand the integration with My IT.
    Automation Specialist at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Has enabled true enterprise batch automation, which allows us to run a 24/7 site with the lights out

What is our primary use case?

Enterprise workload automation across mainframe and mid-range environments for a medium-size financial institution.

How has it helped my organization?

Control-M has enabled true enterprise batch automation, which combined with the other BMC Control products on our mainframe platform, allows us to run a 24/7 site with the lights out.

What is most valuable?

Most valuable feature would be the ability to detect and notify when a process has not completed successfully.

What needs improvement?

The main area that could be improved would be documentation, just like every other software product out there!

More than five years.
    Database Security Specialist at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    It works on agent-level architecture, hence the usability is enhanced

What is our primary use case?

I have used Control-M for batch recovery and job processing providing automation solutions for in-house IT teams and dependent businesses.
    Consultant at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    The product is useful for moving large amounts of data

What is most valuable?

Workload Manager.

How has it helped my organization?

Using it to moving large amounts of data.

What needs improvement?

Scalability.

12 years.

No issues with stability.

Yes, it is not currently suited well for the Cloud.

10 out of 10.

Very simple to install.
    Technical Consultant at Atgen Software Solutions LLP
    It provides job management. The GUI is user friendly.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend to make use of outsourced software solutions such as Atgen for ensuring a stable setup process.
    Production Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    The deployment agent in this version was the most attractive thing I have found -- it's fast and very useful to upgrade in one go.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

Usually, we have to raise a change request with each application owner to upgrade agents -- which was very time consuming since we had to login and do the installation. Now it's all in one go.

What needs improvement?

Area of improvement would be if it could attach anything other than .txt files as output files.

It's been seven years now.

Few database errors.

How are

Consultant, Production Control Services at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Control-M has a huge number of features and utilities that assist users in monitoring their schedules and developers to build schedules that interface with many technologies

• "Cross-platform support: A Linux job can be dependent on a Windows job, which can be dependent on many other flavours of hardware/software. Your batch is therefore managed by a single tool, allowing you to monitor your entire flow."
    • "Reporting in Control-M could use improvement."

What other advice do I have?

Excellent product.
    Workload Automation Wizard at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Offers a single pane of glass to our enterprise batch\workload automation environment.

• "Self Service for repeatable, low impact workload automation processes."
    • "Advanced File Transfer (AFT) has limitations that cause us to use a bit more licensing than we feel is appropriate."
    Technical Support at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    MSP
    The administration part is much more valuable than any other feature. In our environment due to the huge amount of data, it is a little slow.

• "I think the administration part is much more valuable than any other feature."
    • "We did encounter a few scalability issues. Sometimes, there are too many jobs in our environment on different servers, but that’s not the tool issue, we can simply increase the FS size. However, that requires bank cost; hence the scalability issue."

What other advice do I have?

It’s a good, easy to use, and automated product. It is already used in every organization.
    Senior Technical Consultant at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    After upgrading to version 7, application team benefited with the new features and very to easy manage their application jobs.

• "Self Service, BIM features are most valuable. As no need to login to EM client and check the job status."
    • "But for some issues, BMC will suggest to upgrade to new version which will not be feasible to standards of the organisation. Hence some work around should be shown to run the business until new version was upgraded."

What other advice do I have?

No.. Happy to work on Control-M and looking to upgrade current version Control-M ver 7 to 9. One suggestion after a stable version released there should be gap of 2 year of support.
    Senior Technologist at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    The user interface is very easy to navigate. The batch team is now able to run an average of 1,500 jobs per day .

What is most valuable?

The user interface is very easy to navigate.

How has it helped my organization?

The batch team is now able to run an average of 1,500 jobs per day with incidents automatically created and routed to the correct team if a job fails or has an error.

What needs improvement?

The process to apply patches and upgrades is cumbersome. It feels like there could be a simpler or more streamlined way to apply patches.

We have been using Control-M for almost a year.

The deployment went smoothly.

We are having issues with failover working correctly but we are working with BMC Support.

What do I think about the

Control-M Workload Admin at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Product is intuitive, you can start working with it and figure out the basics pretty quickly.
    Produktionssteuerung at a wellness & fitness company with 10,001+ employees
    Some of the valuable features are job scheduling, self-service, and workload archiving.

What is most valuable?

Job scheduling in general Self-service Workload archiving

How has it helped my organization?

We rely on Control-M in our production environment. The automated notification in a case of an error has helped us a lot in reducing downtime and erasing errors.

What needs improvement?

Support for Z/OS output.

The company has used Control-M since the late 90s.

I did not encounter any issues with deployment.

The GUI had some problems in the early stages, but those seemed to have been solved.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

User at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    It is easy to use and most of the add-on features are available.

What other advice do I have?

From my experience with the last version, you are able to manage everything. The conversion tool can offer an easy way to migrate jobs from another tool.
    Technical Support at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    Versioning allows for a restoration when an error is found.

• "Promotions between environments, as well as local, mass update, versioning, and self-service."
    • "It can definitely expand promotions, so that a single job can be moved. Currently you can only promote a job by promoting the entire table."
    Operations Specialist at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Scheduling has changed from basic to more complex.
    Business Service Management Architect at a tech consulting company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Offers high availability through software, supported by an Oracle RAC with ASM.

What other advice do I have?

Is a very good option for the WLA tasks within a company. There is a lot of information on the internet for it. Analyze the costs vs the benefits and if you have the option to invest in a solution that gives you automation of almost everything in IT, acquire it. You will not regret it.
    Master Scheduler at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    Most of the batch processing is now centralized into a single scheduling platform.

What other advice do I have?

We use BMC’s Control-M software for our open systems and SAP batch processing. We will be looking at converting the batch we are running via the solution to the same. I’ve never used the mainframe version of Control-M before, so I don’t have any opinions about it.
    Sr System Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Use of AFT, DB and other modules has reduced human error.

What is most valuable?

AFT SAP DB

How has it helped my organization?

We use AFT, DB and other modules extensively. They have reduced a lot of human error and achieved our SLAs.

What needs improvement?

In each module, one or more improvements need to be made. However, that is out of scope for this review. In a sense, if anything cannot be done in batch mode, it requires online processing with middleware.

I have used it for nine years.

I have not encountered any stability issues. Control-M is a bulletproof product and very stable.

I have not encountered any scalability issues. It is a very scalable product.

Technical Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    MSP
    Plugins (Control Modules) are available for almost all of the widely used applications.

What is most valuable?

The GUI is very user friendly and also plugins (Control Modules) are available for almost all of the widely used applications.

How has it helped my organization?

It helped to automates batches in the best possible way.

What needs improvement?

They could improve the reporting.

I have been using it for 10 years.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support is very good.

I previously used another solution, but switched due to…
    IT Consultant at a tech consulting company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Facilitates process automation.

What other advice do I have?

Improve the disclosure of the modules for the clients and show the cases of success.
    App Support Sr. Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Provides visual linking of jobs, and shows when there is no link to other jobs.

What other advice do I have?

Nothing to worry, as the product works well. It is a good product compared to the other products in the market.
    Senior IT Specialist at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The central scheduler tool provides automation of cross platform and batch processing. It has agents for iSeries, z/OS and UNISYS 2000.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you plan well when you begin automating jobs in Control-M.
    Control-M Developer at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Cross-platform support means your batch is managed by a single tool, allowing you to monitor your entire flow.

What other advice do I have?

Do it.
    Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The Forecast and BIM features show deadlines and alert us of schedule overruns.

What other advice do I have?

If you need a one-stop solution for all your automation needs, Control-M is your answer.
    Middleware Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Being able to view a history of jobs or tasks that have run helps with troubleshooting.

What other advice do I have?

Decide on bulletproof naming standards\site standards. This will make implementation and promotion of workflows incredibly easy.
    Production Support Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It generates reports for all batch processes. Setup was easy.

What other advice do I have?

It is the best in the market.
    Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    MSP
    It acts as the mediator between the applications and the servers.

What other advice do I have?

It is an awesome product in the automation area, very robust and user friendly.
    Systems Engineer - Senior Control M Admin at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Efficient, effective and easy to use, some of the qualities that makes Control-M that much more desirable

What other advice do I have?

It is a great product and it will be worth it, if you plan to utilize it to its full potential and on a larger scale.
    Control-M Analyst at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It supports a range of job types and integrates with other products such as Hadoop and SAS.

What other advice do I have?

Use it. It’s the best out there from my experience.
    Senior Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
    Automatic failover allows for active-passive high availability. You can upgrade or patch agents directly from the configuration manager.​

What other advice do I have?

Do a proof of concept to see if it meets your needs.
    Assistant Director at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    We execute more than 30k jobs through a single window.

What other advice do I have?

Control-M is very stable. It is rare to have any issues with the application. Nonetheless, the bigger the workload, the more a tool like Control-M is needed or else it’s too pricey.
    Application Development Analyst at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    It automates batch run scheduling, and helps document the runs.

What other advice do I have?

It is definitely a good tool in the business intelligence domain, which can be used for small or big batch runs.
    Operational Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    The scheduler integrates with many applications to automate business cycles. It is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

If you are willing to pay for it, the product is excellent.
    Integration Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Modules easily integrate non-basic batch jobs with regular batch jobs.

What other advice do I have?

Plan the hardware setup carefully, favoring *nix OS systems in the CTM-Server engine. Try to follow “best practice” instructions about the database considerations and software setups.
    Senior Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    It helps my customers speed up daily batch processes and provides early warning if one or more processes are not running normally.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend that others wanting to implement workload automation tools choose BMC Control-M as their solution.
    Production Control Analyst with 501-1,000 employees
    MSP
    It gave us the tools to work toward more tightly integrating processes that were unnecessarily dependent on each other.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it.