Cortex XDR by Palo Alto Networks OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cortex XDR by Palo Alto Networks is the #1 ranked solution in our list of XDR Security products. It is most often compared to CrowdStrike Falcon: Cortex XDR by Palo Alto Networks vs CrowdStrike Falcon

What is Cortex XDR by Palo Alto Networks?

Cortex XDR by Palo Alto Networks is the world's first detection and response app that natively integrates network, endpoint and cloud data to stop sophisticated attacks. Cortex XDR by Palo Alto Networks accurately detects threats with behavioral analytics and reveals the root cause to speed up investigations.

Cortex XDR by Palo Alto Networks is also known as Cyvera, Cortex XDR, Palo Alto Networks Traps.

Cortex XDR by Palo Alto Networks Buyer's Guide

Download the Cortex XDR by Palo Alto Networks Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Cortex XDR by Palo Alto Networks Customers

CBI Health Group, University Honda, VakifBank

Cortex XDR by Palo Alto Networks Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cortex XDR by Palo Alto Networks pricing:
  • "It's about $55 per license on a yearly basis."
  • "Its pricing is kind of in line with its competitors and everybody else out there."

WillAgudo
System Administrator at NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS
Has a centralized console and does predictive analysis of malware

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is mainly endpoint protection.

• "I like the centralized console and the predictive analysis it does of malware. It is very stable and also scalable."
  • "It would be good if they could make an exception for applications. Sometimes, it can be a bit of a challenge to make exceptions for certain applications that have been used as rogue."

What other advice do I have?

Learn the product because once you deploy it and a lot of people look at it from an endpoint perspective, they get the endpoint protection instantly. However, there are other things that you need to learn more about. Once you deploy Cortex XDR, you get a subscription to a data lake, which helps you retain logs. We have Palo Alto firewalls and later on learned that we can also integrate our firewalls and get the logs. You have a limited amount of space for log retention, but things like that are important in cases where you need to have PCI compliance or have a company policy of retaining a…
CM
Network Designer at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to set up with excellent trend analytics and isolation feature

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the product as endpoint security which we have deployed on all servers and locations. This is not limited to the endpoint, however, as it has further integration with the firewalls and email solutions. Therefore, it can give us quick visibility in case there is any malicious or suspicious activity happening.

• "The initial setup is pretty easy."
  • "In reporting they should have a customizable dashboard due to the fact that C-level people don't like reporting to the IT department. They prefer to have a real-time dashboard. That kind of dashboard needs to have various customizations."

What other advice do I have?

While we deal with the cloud deployment model, we've also often used the on-premises deployment. I'd advise other companies to use the solution. It really is the best one out there. Overall, I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. The reporting is a bit weak, and it's my understanding they are working on that. However, performance-wise and security-wise, this is the best product.
Learn what your peers think about Cortex XDR by Palo Alto Networks. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
535,544 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AA
Senior Information Security Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Great machine learning capabilities, a strong cloud platform and good overall features

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use this solution for my clients. I don't use the solution myself.

• "It collects and caches and the knowledge of machine learning from different customers to take to the cloud. It makes it better to use for everybody. It allows for quick learning and updates and can, therefore, offer zero-day malware security. This sharing of metadata helps make the solution very safe."
  • "The solution can never really be an on-premises solution based simply on the way it is set up. It needs metadata to run and improve. Having an on-premises solution would cut it off from making improvements."

What other advice do I have?

We have a partnership with Palo Alto. I'm a consultant, I'm pre-sales as a technical sales engineer. I try to show the value of any product for the customer. I don't actually use the solution myself. The solution does not have an on-premises option. It's only available on the cloud. For XDR new users just need to make sure they have the right policies in place. The solution does offer pre-configured policies. Organizations will want to make sure it is actually fitting them in the places where they will be working best. It's important as well that they don't make it a default selection. Users…
Jeff Wolach
Vice President / Chief Technology Officer at Sinnott Wolach Technology Group
Reseller
A stable, scalable, and user-friendly solution that comes with good support and stitches everything together to provide the actual complete picture

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our own company as well for our clients. It is mainly used for protecting the endpoints. Like everybody else nowadays, we're all working from home, and we have access to data on the public cloud, private cloud, and on-prem. We got to make sure that we're not exposing our endpoints to anything out there that could be malicious and that could cause any problems within our networking environment.

• "The ability to kind of stitch everything together and see the actual complete picture is very useful. I guess you'd call it a playbook. Some people call it the forensics analysis of what was happening on particular endpoints when they detected some malicious behavior, and what transpired before that to cause that. It is also very user friendly. The way they have done everything and integrated all the solutions that they've purchased over the years to make it a very seamless, effective product is very good. One thing about Palo Alto is that they take the products or services that they purchase and make them seamless for the end user as compared to some companies that purchase other companies and then just kind of have their products off to the side or keep different interfaces. Palo Alto doesn't do that."
  • "A little bit more automation would be nice."

What other advice do I have?

You don't have to be a Palo Alto customer to implement this solution. Some people think they have to, but no. It is a completely separate solution on its own. I would highly recommend it just because it is a complete package. It not only takes in data from your endpoint; it also takes in data from other sources that are not Palo Alto and helps to create the story about what's going on by stitching things together. I would rate Cortex XDR a nine out of ten. It is pretty good. The reason for giving a nine is that there is always room for improvement.
Darshil Sanghvi
Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Reseller
User friendly, stable, and automatically correlates events and logs

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use it for endpoint protection, exploit prevention, and malware prevention.

• "It can automatically correlate events and logs, which is very helpful for an IT administrator. It can correlate different kinds of malware activities over a network, agent, or host system. You do not need to do it manually. It is a good feature. It is also a user-friendly solution. We have deployed it on the cloud because our space does not provide any flexibility for on-premises deployment, but Palo Alto has added some flexibility to install it on-premises. It must be like the same Cortex XDR agent for all the VPN services, web filtering services, and everything else."
  • "It is not a suitable solution if you are looking for a single product with multiple features such as DLP, encryption, rollback, etc."

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for security, mainly for advanced threat prevention from ransomware and malware attacks, I would recommend Cortex. Even if you want to integrate your firewall, I would recommend Cortex, but if you are looking for a single product with multiple options or features, such as DLP, encryption, rollback, and other features, I would not recommend Cortex. I would rate Cortex XDR a nine out of ten.
MJ
CIO/CTO at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Good GUI, however lacks features overall and tends to eat memory

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our endpoint server and endpoint protection.

• "They have a new GUI which is just fantastic."
  • "There's an overall lack of features."

What other advice do I have?

We simply use the solution as a customer. I would not recommend the solution. I'd advise other companies to rather go with Palo Alto's firewall as a better option. I've already advised others not to touch it. It's not worth it at all to even consider using it. I'd rate the solution six out of ten. Their new GUI is very nice, however, as a professional service, it's lacking in a lot of areas.
CS
Cybersecurity Incident Response Analyst at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Very powerful tool; provides behavior-based detection tailored to your environment

What is our primary use case?

As with any advanced malware protection tool, it's really about the results and getting the security you need. We are end users and I'm a cybersecurity incident response analyst.

• "Provides behavior-based detection which offers many benefits over signature-based detection."
  • "There are a large number of false positives."

What other advice do I have?

The same things apply to anyone looking to implement any form of anti-malware agent. You really want to take the time to make sure your environment is organized and configured the way that you want it to be, because once you start getting empty policies and machines in run groups, you run into a pretty big mess. Another thing would be documentation. If you're adding suppressions or custom detections or your AOCs, keep a document which logs all the changes, because people come and go, and handing down an anti-malware tool to somebody that doesn't know how or why it was configured a certain way…
KostiantynFrolov
Lead Security Engineer at ESKA
Scalable with excellent protection features and is very user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

Cortex XDR is used for endpoint detection and response. This is software placed into endpoints and work in this cloud. In cloud has the analytics, login, prevention models, et cetera.

• "The solution doesn't need a high level of technical training."
  • "Cortex does not offer an on-premises solution. However, some customers would prefer not to be on the cloud. It would be ideal if it could offer something on-prem as well."

What other advice do I have?

Cortex XDR is a threat analytics security manager that allows users to see what threats are going to endpoints. It's a very high-security solution. The next step up from Cortex XDR is Cortex XSOAR. XSOAR is an automated threat solution. It's a security solution from Palo Alto. I'd recommend the solution to others. I'd rate it at a nine out of ten overall.
See 20 more Cortex XDR by Palo Alto Networks Reviews
Download our free Cortex XDR by Palo Alto Networks Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.