CrowdStrike Falcon OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

CrowdStrike Falcon is #1 ranked solution in endpoint security software, top Anti-Malware Tools, top Threat Intelligence Platforms, and EDR tools. IT Central Station users give CrowdStrike Falcon an average rating of 8 out of 10. CrowdStrike Falcon is most commonly compared to Microsoft Defender for Endpoint:CrowdStrike Falcon vs Microsoft Defender for Endpoint. CrowdStrike Falcon is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 47% of users researching this solution on IT Central Station. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.
What is CrowdStrike Falcon?

CrowdStrike is the leader in cloud-delivered next-generation endpoint protection. CrowdStrike has revolutionized endpoint protection by being the first and only company to unify next-generation antivirus (AV), endpoint detection and response (EDR), and a 24/7 managed hunting service — all delivered via a single lightweight agent.

Many of the world’s largest organizations already put their trust in CrowdStrike, including three of the 10 largest global companies by revenue, five of the 10 largest financial institutions, three of the top 10 health care providers, and three of the top 10 energy companies.

Request a free trial here: https://go.crowdstrike.com/try-falcon-prevent

CrowdStrike Falcon is also known as CrowdStrike.

CrowdStrike Falcon Buyer's Guide

Download the CrowdStrike Falcon Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

CrowdStrike Falcon Video

Archived CrowdStrike Falcon Reviews (more than two years old)

HA
Senior Associate - IT at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
A lightweight solution that readily alerts us to unusual behavior

• "This solution has made the lives of the IT staff much easier, compared to the previous one."
  • "I would like to see the machine learning feature enhanced."

What is our primary use case?

CrowdStrike is an anti-virus solution, and we use it to protect our users from malware.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has made the lives of the IT staff much easier, compared to the previous one. This is the lightest client available that is compatible with different versions of the OS.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that our systems are monitored and we are alerted to any unusual behavior.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the machine learning feature enhanced.

One year.

So far, the solution has been stable. It did not clash with any other product that we have. Also, it is very light, and the users do not have the impression that anything is slowing down their system.

This is simply a client that you have to roll out, so it is fully scalable.

All of the people in our company use this solution.

Technical support for this solution is good.

We did use another solution previously, but technologies keep changing. We found that CrowdStrike meets our requirements.

Our implementation was straightforward, and it was completed within one week.

The first step was to uninstall the old anti-virus solution, and then the CrowdStrike protection was enabled. There was a brief period where both of the solutions were running at the same time.

The implementation was handled by the consultants from CrowdStrike. Everything was done by their staff, from their end and according to their recommendation. The consultants and their service were excellent.

This solution has a very competitive price.

We evaluated solutions by TrendMicro, Kaspersky, Carbon Black, and SentinelOne.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody implementing this solution is to understand the requirements. Look at their vision, and understand how the technology is changing in the market in order to meet the threat of cyber attack. They need to follow the latest standards.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Kunal Gupta
Security Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It can connect to host and isolate it from the network if needed

What is our primary use case?

We are currently using this solution as an ERD tool to control and remediate threat from the endpoint remotely, it serves as a next-gen antivirus solution. It can also be used in a forensic investigation, threat hunting, trend analysis, malware analysis, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

• CrowdStrike is a SaaS-based solution which means it can be operated from anywhere, which gives the admins access to control the endpoints from multiple endpoints.
  • It has a very low footprint, using 1-2 % CPU and around 40 Mb of RAM, and the agent size is small and easy to deploy as well.
  • It has segregation of roles at various levels for the analysts, admins, SMEs, etc.

What is most valuable?

• It can connect to host and isolate it from the network if needed; this feature helps us to investigate the endpoint without visiting the endpoint and then testing.
  • It saves time and helps to contain the threat in less time.
  • complete visibility into the endpoint

What needs improvement?

The current version of Falcon does not support DLP which is a may be a good to have in a EDR Solution. It must be included in the future version if possible. There must be a on-premise versions. MDM is also coming soon must also have ability to be controled from same dashboard.

One Year

The solution is pretty stable, and it does pretty accurate work. I have never encountered any issue in this dept.

The solution is scalable to multiple thousands of systems at once. There is no restriction for that.

The support portal of CrowdStrike is active and helpful if needed.

We compared multiple solutions in EDR and out of them, CrowdStrike gave the most features and value for money.

It is pretty straightforward and without any complex mechanism.

We as a team implemented the solution on our own, with the help of the manual and help desk.

It helps to manage a lot of threats with pretty less manpower and in a graceful way.

The setup of CrowdStrike is very simple. It supports all three platforms (Windows, MacOS, Linux), and it has support for the specific version of the above OS. Which means sometimes, a particular OS won't be compatible with the CrowdStrike version.

Before choosing the solution, we evaluated various products from the Gartner magic quadrant for endpoint protection platforms (EDR and MDR).

What other advice do I have?

It comes with various modules, so you can choose the module that you need on the basis of the costing it comes with. This is definitely not cheap; it comes with a cost which may depend on the organization if they need it.

Learn what your peers think about CrowdStrike Falcon. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,407 professionals have used our research since 2012.
ES
Director of Security at a insurance company with 51-200 employees
We are now able to find the root cause analysis on any threat

• "We are now able to find the root cause analysis on any threat. We can figure out where the issue came in versus just dealing with where it is at the moment."
  • "As the company has grown, the technical support has felt less personal."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is detection and forensics.

The product is cloud-based, so we use the latest build which is available.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its forensics capability.

What needs improvement?

It probably needs more integration with firewall vendors.

It needs integration with other technologies. It doesn't play well with anything else. It is more of a standalone solution. Therefore, integration with other technologies would be great.

Three to five years.

It is extremely stable. It has been around for many years. We have been a customer for almost five years.

It has met every scale need that we have come across.

The technical support is excellent. Though, as the company has grown, the technical support has felt less personal.

Our previous detection software, Webroot, was letting too much stuff through.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It just required an agent being installed. After that, it was self-managing.

We did the deployment directly with the vendor.

The solution has helped to increase staff productivity by probably 25 percent.

We are at about $60,000 per year.

We also looked at Cylance and SentinelOne. We went with CrowdStrike based on our own experimentation with it. We threw our own vulnerabilities at it, and it performed the best.

What other advice do I have?

It does everything that it claims, making our life significantly easier. Definitely consider CrowdStrike. It will probably save you from a lot of threats that other products wouldn't catch.

Our security program is relatively immature, but this product has definitely been one of the keystones of our program.

SS
Security Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
When an issue is detected you can log into the GUI and get very specific details about what happened

• "The GUI can use improvement, it's cloud-based so sometimes the interface can be a bit slow. The interface could use a little bit more speed."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is as an endpoint protection service

How has it helped my organization?

We get a notification when there are some malicious activities on our PC whenever we have a detection. The other administrator and I can log in to check the exact details of what happened, what was running, and what caused the detection. We know exactly what was happening on the end user's PC and we can tell if it's something that we actually need or something that's malicious.

What is most valuable?

When something is detected you can log into the GUI and you can get very specific details about what happened. It's very helpful for investigating incidents and this sort of thing.

What needs improvement?

When I change the policies for some users, I would like to have an option to apply that policy immediately. Right now, I have to wait for the users to connect to the cloud to take the new policy. I would like for them to develop the ability to have an option to apply the post the policy immediately.

It's very stable, we haven't had any issues so far.

We haven't had any issues when it comes to scalability. We have thirty to forty users.

We haven't had to use their technical support.

The initial setup was very straightforward. You just download the agent and install it; that's it. The deployment took two to three hours. We have two admins. One of us logs in and sees what happened.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise someone considering this solution to just read the documentation. You should start with the documentation, it's very clear and very simple. Anything you need is in the documentation.

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

DC
    Director of Cloud Architecture at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
    We are happy with its ease of use and touch notification

• "We have seen a reduction to the performance hit to our operating systems."
    • "We are happy with CloudStrike's ease of use and touch notification."
    • "We have had to open a case with the technical support to get some issues and bugs resolved."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for threat management.

How has it helped my organization?

We are now able to pick up more alerts than we were with McAfee. A lot of things were being missed by our security team using McAfee.

We are happier with CloudStrike's ease of use and touch notification than McAfee's.

What is most valuable?

I noticed that the performance hits on our operating systems are a more minimal than they were on McAfee.

What needs improvement?

We have had to open a case with the technical support to get some issues and bugs resolved, but they were resolved relatively quickly.

Less than one year.

The scalability has been good so far. We have been using it on-premise and on the cloud. We can move it to a different cloud platform, because it is cloud agnostic.

We just moved over from McAfee to CrowdStrike, which detected a lot of things that McAfee did not. We detected a malicious code on our on-premise system, even though we are migrating our application to the cloud. It was able to detect it right away to send us what the code had tried change and execute.

Our company decided to make the switch between the two products, and I have seen the value-add since then.

It was pretty easy to set up. We baked it into our subscripts during the start-up process.

Its integration has been pretty seamless.

What other advice do I have?

I would anyone to look at this product based on our company's experience so far.

We have both the on-premise and AWS versions of the product.

PG
    IT Manager at a consultancy with 5,001-10,000 employees

• "Because it is security product and acts like an AIML smart product, not merely based on daily/weekly updates and signatures."
    • "Unfortunately, native applications are not supported."

What is our primary use case?

It's security-related product. A security environment based on AIML. It is not like the older stuff, which used to have signature-based updates.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us with security and managing threats that we see currently in our environment.

What is most valuable?

Because it is security product and acts like an AIML smart product, not merely based on daily/weekly updates and signatures.

What needs improvement?

Unfortunately, native applications are not supported.

Less than one year.

It manages around a few thousand endpoints and servers in our environment, and it is doing well so far.

There are no issues in terms of scalability.

We can call the tech support, if needed. Then, they have a dedicated rep for us.

It went well. We just installed an app on all the endpoints or devices. They have a good console which helps do this. So, it is as simple as that.

We are using this for endpoint security, so it doesn't need to integrate with anything else.

We evaluated three to four other vendors.

During the PoC, we figured out that this product is far better, and it met our requirements. That is why we went for CrowdStrike. With our PoC, they did a good job in explaining the product. So, the PoC went well, and we were able to achieve what we intended to with it.

What other advice do I have?

Do a thorough PoC. Don't go ever go by the sales team unless you have tested it and know it works for your environment, because every environment is unique. The sales guy will promise you the moon. Only unless you have tested, you know it delivers.

The product has met its purpose for us.

We use both the on-premise and AWS versions. They are both good products and very simple to move, install, and configure.

AM
    User
    It alerts us to malicious malware issues 99% of the time, and will end the attack.

What is our primary use case?

It logs automatically and generates alerts. It is all automatically integrated with the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

CrowdStrike will detect any malicious malware attack on the machine. It will end the attack, and immediately alert us to the issue. I would say it catches the attacks 99% of the time.

What is most valuable?

I think the automatic alert feature is the most important feature.

What needs improvement?

The management  and log aggregation need some improvement. We have had some issues with the logs.

It is stable.

It is a scalable solution.

How was

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

I think the automatic alert feature is the most important feature.

It is stable.

It is a scalable solution.

The setup was very straightforward. We just had to install it. We did not have to do the dependencies.

I do not have experience with the cost or licensing of the product.

Fadhullah Iskandar Roy
    Solution Architect at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The AWS configuration is good, but the cost is quite pricey

• "The most valuable feature is its threat analysis."
    • "Scalability is good. We have had no issues with it."
    • "I would like CrowdStrike to provide some correlation in the threat analysis, so we can visualize things better."
    • "Whenever there is a feature release (upgrade) where we push to all the endpoints, it causes something to be blocked without us knowing."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is threat protection.

How has it helped my organization?

It improves a lot of our security operations for threat management. It provides a lot for our day-to-day operations too.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its threat analysis.

Three to five years.

It is quite stable. However, whenever there is a feature release (upgrade) where we push to all the endpoints, it causes something to be blocked without us knowing.

We have not put that much stress on it, about 20 percent.

Scalability is good. We have had no issues with it.

Currently, we have about 4800 resources in the cloud.

Their technical support is good and helpful.

The AWS integration is good, and its configuration is straightforward.

We have seen ROI.

Purchasing the product through the AWS Marketplace is just a click away. Since we were using the on-premise version of the product, we continued on the cloud by purchasing it through the AWS Marketplace.

I would like them to further reduce the price, because it is quite pricey at the moment.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend CrowdStrike as a first option product, but to look at others as well.

The new features that they have released were not bad.

AWS is better than the on-premise version because it can support cloud resources.

Nachiket Sathaye
    Information Security Consultant with 201-500 employees
    I like the overall reports of this solution. They are crisp, and to the point.

• "I like the overall reports of this solution. They are crisp, and to the point."
    • "It has an extremely low footprint, so it has got minimum impact on the user end points in terms of CPU and memory usage."
    • "It is cloud-based, and this does make some weary of the data being held on the cloud. Privacy requirements must be taken into account."
    • "The dashboard does not have the facility to export the reports in a PDF format, which I can quickly share with internal stakeholders."

What is our primary use case?

We are currently using this solution as a replacement for our antivirus solution. It also helps us in terms of forensic investigation, malware analysis, endpoint detection and response.

How has it helped my organization?

First, it is a production from known and unknown interests. Second, it has an extremely low footprint, so it has minimal impact on the user endpoints in terms of CPU and memory usage. The tamper protection of the CrowdStrike agent is extremely good even if the user is having admin rights and he tries to disable these CrowdStrike services. The CrowdStrike service will respawn itself. It is practically impossible to tamper with these services. If I managed to craft some malware that would shut down the services, CrowdStrike will respond itself, and it will still to protect my endpoint.

In addition, it reduces the overall containment timing, and quickly isolates the endpoints to quickly mediate the issues.

What is most valuable?

The EDR feature of CrowdStrike is fantastic. Also, in comparison to other solutions, it can connect remotely, so our security analysts can get into the system directly and do manual analysis as well.

I also like the overall reports. They are crisp and to the point.

What needs improvement?

There are a couple of issues with the compatibility to some of the operating systems. But, I see that there are a lot of things in the pipeline. They have a roadmap, and continuously are improving. Within the last three months I have seen lot of new features in the overall CrowdStrike suite.

A couple of things were on the cosmetic part. CrowdStrike needed some improvements on the report functionalities, specifically the dashboard functionalities. Technically there a lot of things also coming from a visual perspective. There are a couple of things they still need to work out like the dashboards. The dashboard does not have the facility to export the reports in a PDF format, which I can quickly share with internal stakeholders. These are minor things, but they are in the pipeline.

The product is quite stable.

It is very scalable. It can be used for 10,000 endpoint users. So, it is very scalable in terms of volume.

Tech support is helpful, but they need a little bit of improvement. The response time is good. This was not a "show-stopper" for us.

Initial setup was pretty straightforward. It has cloud-based hosting, so you can just get your installation agent, install it, authenticate the agent with your cloud instance and start managing the agent.

CrowdStrike has helped us in terms of manpower and cost savings. I work with a team of less than 10 people, and I have worked in other organizations where I used to handle more than 20 to 25 people for the same things.

The pricing will depend upon your volume of usage.

I have prior experience with Cylance and Dell Data Security Agent powered by Cylnace, which I would not say is a complete EDR. I also have prior work knowledge of SECDO, which has been acquired by Palo Alto.

What other advice do I have?

It is a complete cloud-based solution, so they will have to factor in the compliance requirements as well. Not everyone is comfortable sending the data to the cloud, especially considering the privacy requirements. CrowdStrike needs to think of local and regulatory requirements. But, one thing is for sure, CrowdStrike will not take your personal data to the cloud, it only takes your metadata from the endpoint. But, if the company's having some stringency regulations, it will definitely be harder for them to keep the data in the cloud.

it_user871761
    Senior Financial Analyst - Data Analytics at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We can see what processes are running on the system, what registry keys have been enabled

• "Enables us to understand what processes are running on the system, what registry keys have been enabled."

What is our primary use case?

Primary use is for endpoint investigations.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to determine root cause, do the analysis, a lot quicker.

What is most valuable?

Visibility into the endpoint rate. Understanding what processes are running on the system, what registry keys have been enabled. Pretty much understanding the whole frantic side of the endpoint.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if we could extrapolate indicators of compromise and write them within sandboxes.

It's fairly stable. We haven't been having too many issues with that.

It scales quite well because it's cloud-based and subscription-based. It can scale pretty quickly.

I would say technical support is fairly good. They understand the technology quite well so they are able to support us a lot better.

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor come down to the capability of the technology, the cost, the support, how it fits into our overall architecture strategy, and the stability of the company. For instance, if it's a small company and they go under, you might as well have not invested in it.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10 because it has all the features that we need. It's within our budget, and it fits into our overall architecture strategy. There are a few features that could be added, as mentioned.

I would recommend this technology.

Download our free CrowdStrike Falcon Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.