CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Password Managers. It is most often compared to HashiCorp Vault: CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault vs HashiCorp Vault

What is CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault?

CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault, a component of the CyberArk Privileged Access Manager Solution, is designed to discover, secure, rotate and control access to privileged account passwords used to access systems throughout the enterprise IT environment. The solution enables organizations to understand the scope of their privileged account risks and put controls in place to mitigate those risks. Flexible policies enable organizations to enforce granular privileged access controls, automate workflows and rotate passwords at a regular cadence without requiring manual IT effort. To demonstrate compliance, organizations can easily report on which users accessed what privileged accounts, when and why.

CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault Buyer's Guide

Download the CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault Customers

AstraZeneca, Time, DBS, Novartis, Motorola, BT, pwc, Braun, Deloitte, Williams, Revlon, Belgacom, Barclays

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault pricing:
  • "CyberArk is very expensive and there are additional fees for add-ons."
  • "This solution is expensive."
  • "It's per-company, license-based."

GJ
PAM Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Stable, good support, and secures each password with individual encryption

What is our primary use case?

I'm an integrator and we identify and provide performance discovery, and we select the best product for our clients. We have users that are administrators in the environment, and we convert them into a shared account model. Many of the organizations have two accounts. One is a regular user account and the other gives them administrative rights. CyberArk allows for a higher degree of segregation of duties, although CyberArk itself doesn't do that. You have to have knowledge of role-based access control and least privilege principles. It supports it, but you have to implement it. There is also… more »

• "CyberArk probably has probably the best vault on the market because of the multiple layered security and each password getting its own encryption."
  • "CyberArk has two disadvantages; the first is that it's insanely expensive and the other is it's very complex."

What other advice do I have?

CyberArk Password Vault is probably the top vault on the market and Thycotic would be a close second. CyberArk is not always suited for our clients but it is the best solution. Eight out of 10 organizations don't implement it. Just because you know CyberArk doesn't mean you understand it. The SaaS solution is sound but the on-premises is primarily what I have worked on. I am CyberArk certified. When I started off several years ago, I got my CIS as PE. I was put into a security group in EDS. Network admins who work for the company have to be administrators, with high skill levels. Before…
BrettZych
Identity and Access Management Advisor at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Improves our ability to control, secure, and manage access across the enterprise

• "Service count rotation is probably one of my favorite features... The ability to automatically rotate any password I need to really helps with the entire enterprise strategy that we're pushing right now."
  • "I'd like it to be a little more granular. I want a little bit more control over exactly what we do. I know if you do that, you add more knobs and dials to deal with, but that's just my personal approach: granular access."

What other advice do I have?

Use the tool, but communicate with your user base. If you're not going to communicate with your user base, then you're dead in the water already. Don't force this on someone. Work with them in order to use it. The product has delivered innovation with each update. When I first started, we weren't able to run scans and pull service-account information and reset those service accounts at any endpoint. That, as a whole, as I mentioned earlier, was my favorite feature of the product. That innovation alone is probably one of my favorites, and definitely something that deserves praise. I would rate…
Learn what your peers think about CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
535,015 professionals have used our research since 2012.
GK
Consultant at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Stable, secured access solution with good flexibility

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for third-party developers that come into our infrastructure from VPN to connect. They are organizations that are outside of our organization.

• "The most valuable feature is that it is flexible. It has many connectors. that have done well, the EPV and SSH sessions are all being recorded and everything works fine."
  • "In the next release, they could simplify the setup and I would like some tasks added like file sharing. When a client connects to CyberArk and wants to put a file on the server, they cannot."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to compare with other products and if they don't want such a large solution they could try Fudo or a similar solution that is easier and can scale like CyberArk. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
PG
Technical Lead IMSS at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Create, request, access and manage privileged passwords

What is our primary use case?

We use it for storing and rotating passwords. Within our organization, a lot of people are using this solution for a lot of projects. We have already implemented CyberArk as a SaaS solution. We are not using the core parts, but we are using the software as a service for a project. At my previous job, there was a team of seven people who were in charge of maintenance. Mostly analysts, senior analysts, and a technical lead used this solution.

• "It's highly secure and very flexible. It gives us all types of storage options and it gives us a high level of security."
  • "The only problem involves granting access to people who are authorized to view it."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault. On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.
IkedeEbhole
Pre-sales Engineer at StarLink - Trusted Security Advisor
Storing User Passwords and Credentials, Facilitates auditing by recording activity

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for storing user passwords and administration credentials. I am the engineer for a company that sells this solution mostly to financial institutions. It is also useful for auditing and securing shared accounts or co-shared accounts.

• "The most valuable feature is the special management. It records the activity and the actions that we use for auditing."
  • "The stability depends on the infrastructure it is installed on, which is important because CyberArk does not have the hardware appliance."

What other advice do I have?

I have learned that the deployment can be tricky. Always plan your deployment in phases. Don't unload all of your privilege credentials at once, otherwise, you have an issue with the passwords. Always, have help available on standby when you are deploying this solution to prevent issues. This solution is quite efficient. You don't always have to have your applications. If you are encrypting the server, you don't need the applications. You are required to do it on your workstation. The server will deliver that to you from the managing pack when you try to implement the sessions. I would rate…
VS
Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Every aspect of the solution is very well integrated and it is fail-safe

What is our primary use case?

There are threats that get opened because of the vulnerability of privileged access that says to directly put it in a vault.

• "Every aspect of the solution is very well integrated, and even that gives comfort. It is a fail-safe kind of environment."
  • "Having a cloud version would be very helpful. You have to invest a lot of money for the infrastructure hardware so the cloud version would help."

What other advice do I have?

The most important phase is the discovery phase. Pay the most attention to that. Spend the most amount of time on the discovery phase, which is really the startup planning. The project becomes smoother. Book stricter guidelines on timelines and let there be a senior sponsor part of the project so that you are able to get milestones addressed quickly otherwise, these projects tend to drag longer. In the next release, I would like to have the cloud option and all of the features that come with it. I would rate CyberArk a nine out of ten.
FabioPericoli
Director / Engineer at Provincia
Enables users to connect to a target machine without the need to know the privileged accounts' password

What is our primary use case?

I have worked as a CyberArk SME, team leader, project manager in the financial industry. I've managed both the implementation and configuration of enterprise CyberArk infrastructures.

• "Our most valuable features would probably be key rotation, the SKM or SSH key manager, and account discovery."
  • "I think they can improve account onboarding. For instance, you have to use the Password Vault utility, whereas in Thycotic I think there is a feature in the user interface that allows you to upload your account with an Excel file. So I'd like to have a similar thing in CyberArk."

What other advice do I have?

You have to analyze the target hosts that you have in your organization and understand what is the scope of your project. You have to make a very clear plan for the project and CyberArk infrastructure sizing. Then you have to do a very good job with the project management and collaborate with the privileged accounts stakeholders. With all that in mind, you can go ahead with CyberArk. Be careful with the configuration. When you make changes and so on, be very careful to understand what you are doing. Plan and test what you are doing in a test environment before switching to production. I would…
OZ
Lead Systems Architect at IT Specialist LLC
Very good security, good scalability and a recently lowered pricing model

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of the solution is to gather privileged accounts from different systems and to contain privileged accounts in one secure place.

• "Security is the solution's most valuable feature. As far as I know, this solution is the most secure system of this class on the market today, even considering another management system like Fudo Security, which we also use. The integration capabilities are very good; it helps strengthen our overall security."
  • "The solution is too big and complex for any businesses that are small or medium-sized. They should offer a more compact version or make a solution better suited to smaller businesses."

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. In terms of advice, I'd suggest others follow the implementation carefully. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. It's not easy to install and it's got too many components which means it's not really suitable for small or medium-sized businesses.
See 4 more CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault Reviews
Download our free CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.