DataCore SANsymphony SDS Overview

DataCore SANsymphony SDS is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Storage Software tools. It is most often compared to VMware vSAN: DataCore SANsymphony SDS vs VMware vSAN

What is DataCore SANsymphony SDS?

DataCore™ SANsymphony™ enterprise-class Software-defined Storage (SDS) platform provides a high-performance, highly available and agile storage infrastructure with the lowest Total Cost of Ownership (TCO).

DataCore SANsymphony SDS is also known as DataCore SANsymphony, SANsymphony, DataCore Virtual SAN.

DataCore SANsymphony SDS Buyer's Guide

Download the DataCore SANsymphony SDS Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

DataCore SANsymphony SDS Customers

Volkswagen, Maimonides Medical Center, The Biodesign Institute, ISCO Industries, Pee Dee Electric Cooperative, United Financial Credit Union, Derby Supply Chain Solutions, Mission Community Hospital, Bellarmine College Preparatory, Colby-Sawyer College, Mount Sinai Health System, The Royal Institute of International Affairs, Quorn Foods, Bitburger, University of Birmingham, Stadtverwaltung Heidelberg, NetEnt to name a few.

DataCore SANsymphony SDS Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about DataCore SANsymphony SDS pricing:
  • "This solution allows the use of off-the-shelf hardware and charges by the TB of storage."
  • "Make sure you are made aware of the annual subscription cost when purchasing."
  • "This product has a good ratio between quality and price. In many cases, it's less expensive to work with DataCore than other storage systems."
  • "The cost is at the same level as other storage solutions and it is easy to understand the licensing."

DataCore SANsymphony SDS Reviews

Damon
System Engineering at Patriot LLC
Jan 31, 2020
Provides HA virtualized storage independent of storage type or vendor

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for providing software-defined storage that is virtualized, in a true HA configuration. It provides SAN storage services to VMware vCenter hosts and VMware Horizon hosts, as well as some physical Windows and Linux servers. This platform allows us to leverage any storage that Windows can leverage, including other vendor SAN devices. This allows us to keep existing storage, mirror SANs from 2 different vendors and even allow very easy migration from one vendor to another. Most of our locations just use RAID attached storage (as it is the least expensive) with… more »

• "The ability to pool the storage to leverage thin-provisioning is a huge saving in space and costs."
  • "Having an enterprise "Storage Dashboard" that can show capacity, usage, performance, and any issues would be very beneficial."

What other advice do I have?

While they support de-dup, it is recommended that you not de-dup the storage used for operating systems or high-change rated type data. The requires some planning to ensure the storage that is targeted for de-dup only have data that end users would be using (such as MS Office files, etc.)
reviewer1090101
May 14, 2019
Auto-tiering improves performance by automatically balancing demands for storage

What is our primary use case?

DataCore is the primary storage solution for all of our VMware hosts, installed on a Dell EMC RX740 server with a combination of spinning and NVMe storage. We have just moved to a 2-host, hyperconverged solution utilizing DataCore. All of our servers and services are running off the 2-node DataCore solution.

• "DataCore has helped provide flexible, highly available, high-performance storage that otherwise would have been outside our price range."
  • "The cost is becoming prohibitive since they moved to a subscription model."
Learn what your peers think about DataCore SANsymphony SDS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
473,792 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RF
Rog Fed
Technical Services Manager (Enterprise Systems) at Maimonides Medical Center
May 29, 2019
A flexible and efficient solution for disaster recovery

What is our primary use case?

DataCore is our main Enterprise SAN solution. We serve all workloads among five different DataCore server groups. These workloads include all hypervisors, SQL and Oracle Databases, file shares, archive, and backups. DataCore helps us achieve disaster recovery by allowing us to mirror our data between two sites.

• "DataCore's ability to seamlessly move virtual volume data between storage pools as well as their synchronous mirroring has made maintenance and disaster recovery planning achievable."
  • "DataCore needs a more efficient and better way to keep track of metrics and counters so that we can do baseline analysis to measure performance."
SL
Scott Lambourne
System Administrator at Superior Water And Air
Apr 13, 2019
I have found it to be easy at increasing storage needs

What is our primary use case?

I run two servers with DataCore doing what it does. I then run VMware on top of that for my Window servers. I currently have roughly 50 users that are constantly using the various servers.

What other advice do I have?

As a side note, I use Veeam to backup my servers, including the DataCore servers, and I have had no problem doing so.
SG
reviewer1058013
Presales Engineer at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Mar 20, 2021
A stable enterprise-class software-defined storage platform that's highly scalable.

What is our primary use case?

I work with many customers that ask us to put their solution near the production because they can't stop the production. It's easier to protect the network this way.

• "It's a software storage solution that can scale as we like. There is also has a parallel feature that enhances the performance of the storage solution. We can separate storage and computing, and we can scale these two parts of the platform to meet business needs efficiently."
  • "Problem detection could be easier. It should help customers identify problems very quickly because it's not easy to analyze on the platform today."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give DataCore SANsymphony SDS a ten.
reviewer1155771
Aug 6, 2019
Good performance, saves money, and has eliminated our storage-related downtime

What is our primary use case?

We have been using DataCore SANsymphony for many years to protect data-availability and keeping productive. It helps us to improve reliability for our complete IT solutions.

• "Supporting of Automated-Storage-Tiering (AST) is a good feature that saves money."
  • "We are waiting for container support (on the roadmap), as well as a user-friendly full web-administration capability, and an improved API."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, we are happy with innovations, but in the future, we will also look into more improvements.
reviewer1068588
May 6, 2019
Enables us to use much less hardware for storage which leads to lower power consumption and less heat

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for a high-availability and redundant storage system with fast read and writes times with low latency.

• "The features I have found most valuable are the active-active, or so-called grid technology, and the integration into our VMware-vCenter."
  • "I think an easier way to open a service call, right through the DataCore GUI, would be an improvement, especially when there is an urgent issue."

What other advice do I have?

I recommend taking a look at DataCore because it is a simple-to-use product that saved us from spending more money on additional hardware and support.
MF
Mike Felber
User at Kommunaler Sozialverband Sachsen
Jul 29, 2019
We enjoy great reliability, flexibility and performance

What is our primary use case?

With DataCore we manage the central storage for VMware virtualisation and Oracle databases. At the first location are two mirrored DataCore servers. At a second site, we use a DataCore server as an asynchronous replication target.
See 6 more DataCore SANsymphony SDS Reviews
Download our free DataCore SANsymphony SDS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.