DataCore SANsymphony SDS Overview

DataCore SANsymphony SDS is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Storage Software tools. It is most often compared to VMware vSAN: DataCore SANsymphony SDS vs VMware vSAN

What is DataCore SANsymphony SDS?

DataCore™ SANsymphony™ enterprise-class Software-defined Storage (SDS) platform provides a high-performance, highly available and agile storage infrastructure with the lowest Total Cost of Ownership (TCO).

DataCore SANsymphony SDS is also known as DataCore SANsymphony, SANsymphony, DataCore Virtual SAN.

Download the Software Defined Storage (SDS) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

DataCore SANsymphony SDS Customers

Volkswagen, Maimonides Medical Center, The Biodesign Institute, ISCO Industries, Pee Dee Electric Cooperative, United Financial Credit Union, Derby Supply Chain Solutions, Mission Community Hospital, Bellarmine College Preparatory, Colby-Sawyer College, Mount Sinai Health System, The Royal Institute of International Affairs, Quorn Foods, Bitburger, University of Birmingham, Stadtverwaltung Heidelberg, NetEnt to name a few.

DataCore SANsymphony SDS Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

RF
Technical Services Manager (Enterprise Systems) at Maimonides Medical Center
Leaderboard
A flexible and efficient solution for disaster recovery

What is our primary use case?

DataCore is our main Enterprise SAN solution. We serve all workloads among five different DataCore server groups. These workloads include all hypervisors, SQL and Oracle Databases, file shares, archive, and backups. DataCore helps us achieve disaster recovery by allowing us to mirror our data between two sites.

• "DataCore's ability to seamlessly move virtual volume data between storage pools as well as their synchronous mirroring has made maintenance and disaster recovery planning achievable."
  • "DataCore needs a more efficient and better way to keep track of metrics and counters so that we can do baseline analysis to measure performance."
Leaderboard
Auto-tiering improves performance by automatically balancing demands for storage

What is our primary use case?

DataCore is the primary storage solution for all of our VMware hosts, installed on a Dell EMC RX740 server with a combination of spinning and NVMe storage. We have just moved to a 2-host, hyperconverged solution utilizing DataCore. All of our servers and services are running off the 2-node DataCore solution.

• "DataCore has helped provide flexible, highly available, high-performance storage that otherwise would have been outside our price range."
  • "The cost is becoming prohibitive since they moved to a subscription model."
Find out what your peers are saying about DataCore, Nutanix, Microsoft and others in Software Defined Storage (SDS). Updated: June 2021.
509,641 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Leaderboard
Enables us to use much less hardware for storage which leads to lower power consumption and less heat

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for a high-availability and redundant storage system with fast read and writes times with low latency.

• "The features I have found most valuable are the active-active, or so-called grid technology, and the integration into our VMware-vCenter."
  • "I think an easier way to open a service call, right through the DataCore GUI, would be an improvement, especially when there is an urgent issue."

What other advice do I have?

I recommend taking a look at DataCore because it is a simple-to-use product that saved us from spending more money on additional hardware and support.
User
Built-in redundancy allows us to perform maintenance 'on the fly'

What is our primary use case?

We use SANsymphony for all of our business-critical data. We run a dual host, VMware 6.7 host environment with a 25Gb/s network fabric connecting to mirrored SANsymphony nodes. We have two business systems running in this environment. One is running Red Hat Linux and Progress DB, whereas the other is running Windows and Microsoft SQL server.

• "I'd have to say that the biggest improvement gained by using SANsymphony has to be the performance of the product."
  • "There is no way of quickly matching the exact size of a vDisk to a disk pool."
IT manager at Sciences Po Bordeaux
Easy to administrate and we can adjust the size of the storage very easily, without stopping production

What is our primary use case?

The project was to replace an old SAN (from Dell EMC) with a new system that is more resilient and offers high availability.

How has it helped my organization?

We replaced a SAN (Dell EMC) product with two servers and the SANsymphony software. The solution is more scalable and very easy to administrate.

What is most valuable?

We have gained in scalability. The most valuable feature for us is that we can adjust the size of the storage very easily, without stopping production. The product is easy to administrate.

What needs improvement?

Even though it is easy to administrate, the initial installation and configuration can be complicated. The alert system could have more features.

Three to five years. …
IT manager at SRADDA
Improved performance and security in our small infrastructure

What is our primary use case?

I use DataCore SANsymphony for the redundancy with two nodes. It's a good solution with a good price for a small infrastructure like us.

• "Good security with this solution."
  • "I would like for it to improve into a more ergonomic management console and a translation into the French language. It should have some process for a shutdown of a VM properly in case of a problem."

What other advice do I have?

Good support, very reactive.
SL
System Administrator at Superior Water And Air
I have found it to be easy at increasing storage needs

What is our primary use case?

I run two servers with DataCore doing what it does. I then run VMware on top of that for my Window servers. I currently have roughly 50 users that are constantly using the various servers.

What other advice do I have?

As a side note, I use Veeam to backup my servers, including the DataCore servers, and I have had no problem doing so.
User
The new third node is great for an always-on experience

What is our primary use case?

A powerful, always-on system. We used DataCore for a few years.  The best solution to get build and an always-on strategy. It has zero downtime and is very fast and flexible.

How has it helped my organization?

Creates and build fast flash-only storage systems Creates storages with TB in small units Saves many kW of power and cooling.

What is most valuable?

Mirrored vDisk, and creating a third node with asynchronous replication to get the data out of the datacenter. The new third node is great for an always-on experience.

What needs improvement?

Better integration into backup solutions like Veeam An HTML5 feature GUI will improve usability.

Network Administrator at LAN Professionals
Although the product itself is developed and runs so well, the only area I see lacking is their support

What is our primary use case?

We are using DataCore to increase I/O, to more flexibly utilize storage and to provide a robust offsite replication solution.

How has it helped my organization?

It has really helped with I/O and being able to manage our storage more simply.

What is most valuable?

The ease with which I can create and manage storage for my entire network from one easy-to-use interface.

What needs improvement?

The only area I see lacking with DataCore is their support. It's not very good at all, and it's frankly, very frustrating and has almost caused me to swear off the product. With that said, the product itself (especially when working) is developed and runs very well and because of that I will keep using it.

One to…
JP
Commercial Director with 1-10 employees
Reseller
You can install it on almost any hardware and/or hypervisor

What is our primary use case?

Low-cost infrastructure for SOHO.

How has it helped my organization?

Excellent performance and reliability, and very low cost using home hardware.

What is most valuable?

Flexibility. You can install it on almost any hardware and/or hypervisor.

What needs improvement?

Deduplication works but implementing it is complex.

Head of IT at United Planet GmbH
Technical support is amazing, very fast, and always has a solution in no time

What is our primary use case?

We use the DataCore software to provide (virtual) storage hardware to our virtualisation environment (VMware ESX).

What other advice do I have?

The installation is only supported if it is installed by a DataCore certified implementation engineer. Also, updates should be done by this DCIE. If you want to manage everything by yourself, you have to get a DCIE.
KC
Administrateur Systèmes et réseaux at Centre Hospitalier de PAU
The better features are the synchronous replication and the management console

What is our primary use case?

* We use DataCore SANsymphony as our primary storage solution replicated on two hosts since October 2012. In July 2018, we dispatched them to the two server rooms. * Each DataCore node consists of a server and two storage bays connected in SAS. * We use this SAN to store our VMware datastore (300 virtual machines) for our 10 ESXi servers. * Each server is connected to storage via two fiber channel links 8Gbps.
User at a non-profit with 1,001-5,000 employees
Has easy cluster maintenance and auto-tiering moves data to fast disk if needed

What is our primary use case?

SAN volumes for all system types. You can serve Linux and Windows systems alike, just add the multipath software.

How has it helped my organization?

Multi-site redundancy, who wouldn't want that? Cluster maintenance is super easy: just add a node to the second site and the software takes care of the data.

What is most valuable?

Auto-tiering moves data to fast disk if needed. Works great. I don't have to think about the second set of data.

What needs improvement?

Maybe adding a Linux data manager, and moving away from Windows. It has become more reliable when using 2012/2016.

Using the newer MS server version has made the system…
Administrator at Conseil Departemental 93

What is our primary use case?

We use it as part of the PCA. And also to recycle berries for which we deport their native intelligence on DataCore.

How has it helped my organization?

DataCore SANsymphony has improved our organization in terms of performance, data security and maintenance plan. We can stop one of our machine rooms without interruption of service to the user.

What is most valuable?

The most useful feature is the continuity of service and the associated performance. It brings great flexibility.

What needs improvement?

Additional features that should be included in the next release are "application performance and storage" (new tuning and troubleshooting options).

Three to five years.
Technicien SIC at SDIS 58 - Service Départemental d'Incendie et de Secours
Leaderboard
Fast storage, applications start faster, and database access is improved

What is our primary use case?

We use DataCore for VMware datastore. Each ESXi can access datastores stored on DataCore servers on different sites.
IT Manager at IMS
The parallel I/O function is very useful when there are many requests for read/write access to the disks

What is our primary use case?

Installation of this hyper-converged infrastructure in our school this summer with two servers directly attached. It works perfectly!!
IT System Administrator at Molkerei Ammerland eG
Continuous data protection is an important part of our backup strategy

What is our primary use case?

We can not afford periods for maintenance. So we need a solution with which we can provide appropriate high availability. 100% guaranteed with DataCore SANSymphony-V.

What other advice do I have?

No, it was almost perfect.
SL
Senior Manager at Leisse & Soehne GmbH
Fast implementation and integration

What is our primary use case?

We use DataCore to improve the redundancy of our virtual machines so that we can achieve high availability of our server systems.

What other advice do I have?

Maybe using a good IT partner who already has some experience with the product.
IT Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
User
A well-proven, automated management tool in all dynamic provisioning, auto-tiering, and parallel I/O​

What is our primary use case?

Oracle OLTP benchmark to test how it improves the performance while using flash drive NVMe.

How has it helped my organization?

It is a well-proven, automated management tool in all dynamic provisioning, auto-tiering, great performance, parallel I/O, cache speed mechanism, etc.

What is most valuable?

Parallel I/O, because there is no performance degrade nor cache hit when there is a 100% update and 70/30 read/write. There is no performance impact and latency is just 20 ms.

What needs improvement?

Unified storage (all block, objects, and files) should be in a single storage pool with unified storage concepts, hence providing the user with whatever they want.

Owner at David Strom Inc.
Writer
ExpertTop 20
a solid storage hypervisor

What is most valuable?

Easy to manage disk pools, different storage tiers and virtual storage repositories Continuous data protection just takes a single click to enable

What needs improvement?

Pricing can be confounding with many options

What other advice do I have?

SANsymphony-V offers a comprehensive set of storage virtualization functions to build a very robust storage network that speeds up applications, ensures business continuity and facilitates disaster recovery.
Director of IT at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Inexpensive and runs on commodity hardware, but beware of technical support

Valuable Features:

inexpensive for the amount of storage runs on commodity hardware

Room for Improvement:

tech support is NOT good at all, even when buying the higher level support from them. You feel like you know more than the person you are speaking with.
Download our free Software Defined Storage (SDS) Report and find out what your peers are saying about DataCore, Nutanix, Microsoft, and more!