DataCore SANsymphony SDS OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

DataCore SANsymphony SDS is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Storage Software tools. It is most often compared to VMware vSAN: DataCore SANsymphony SDS vs VMware vSAN

What is DataCore SANsymphony SDS?

DataCore™ SANsymphony™ enterprise-class Software-defined Storage (SDS) platform provides a high-performance, highly available and agile storage infrastructure with the lowest Total Cost of Ownership (TCO).

DataCore SANsymphony SDS is also known as DataCore SANsymphony, SANsymphony, DataCore Virtual SAN.

DataCore SANsymphony SDS Buyer's Guide

Download the DataCore SANsymphony SDS Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

DataCore SANsymphony SDS Customers

Volkswagen, Maimonides Medical Center, The Biodesign Institute, ISCO Industries, Pee Dee Electric Cooperative, United Financial Credit Union, Derby Supply Chain Solutions, Mission Community Hospital, Bellarmine College Preparatory, Colby-Sawyer College, Mount Sinai Health System, The Royal Institute of International Affairs, Quorn Foods, Bitburger, University of Birmingham, Stadtverwaltung Heidelberg, NetEnt to name a few.

DataCore SANsymphony SDS Video

Archived DataCore SANsymphony SDS Reviews (more than two years old)

Johann R.
User at Groupe d'Aucy
Easy migration of data between storage areas, and an overall performance improvement

• "During the maintenance periods, on any part of the storage or VMware migration, we have had no downtime."
  • "I think the performance reporting can be improved by adding historical statistics into a database for the purpose of comparing."

What is our primary use case?

The first use case was for our data center at the headquarters. We currently have two server rooms, connected by fibre, and the data is synchronized between both using DataCore.

How has it helped my organization?

Since DataCore has been installed, the performance of our server has been improved. During the maintenance periods, on any part of the storage or VMware migration, we have had no downtime.

Recently we decided to deploy DataCore™ Hyperconverged Virtual SAN in our manufactury.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the ability to migrate from one storage area to another one easily. The evolution of the solution by adding new storage without having to go through a difficult migration is very helpful.

What needs improvement?

I think the performance reporting can be improved by adding historical statistics into a database for the purpose of comparison.

A capacity planning solution would be a great addition.

We have been using this solution for more than five years.
reviewer1155771
User
Good performance, saves money, and has eliminated our storage-related downtime

• "Supporting of Automated-Storage-Tiering (AST) is a good feature that saves money."
  • "We are waiting for container support (on the roadmap), as well as a user-friendly full web-administration capability, and an improved API."

What is our primary use case?

We have been using DataCore SANsymphony for many years to protect data-availability and keeping productive. It helps us to improve reliability for our complete IT solutions.

How has it helped my organization?

In the time of using DataCore SANsympohny Hyper-converged-Infrastructure, we had no storage-related downtime in our environment. The server and storage functionality works, and maintenance is easier to handle depending on the redundancy.

DataCore is an administrator's and users' friend.

What is most valuable?

Performance boost (MegaCash, Parallel I/O technology) and Continuous data protection (CDP) are the features we love most because security and being productive are big points for us.

DataCore is helping us focus on our core business and keep it running, which is important for our customer success.

Supporting of Automated-Storage-Tiering (AST) is a good feature that saves money.

What needs improvement?

We are waiting for container support (on the roadmap), as well as a user-friendly full web-administration capability, and an improved API.

Supporting newer Windows Server versions faster (e.g. Microsoft Windows Server 2019) would be nice.

We have been using this solution for more than three years.

This solution is very robust and reliable.

It has good scalability. We can scale up in 1TB steps.

We have found that technical support has good skill levels and availability.

We did not have another SDS solution before this one.

This initial setup of this solution wasn´t complex. The necessary functional test plan of the implementation company was time-consuming, but it guaranteed the correct implementation.

We implemented this solution using our solution provider with vendor support in the background, and it worked well for us.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, we are happy with innovations, but in the future, we will also look into more improvements.

Learn what your peers think about DataCore SANsymphony SDS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MF
User at Kommunaler Sozialverband Sachsen
We enjoy great reliability, flexibility and performance

What is our primary use case?

With DataCore we manage the central storage for VMware virtualisation and Oracle databases. At the first location are two mirrored DataCore servers. At a second site, we use a DataCore server as an asynchronous replication target.

How has it helped my organization?

It is easy to manage the storage and simple to enlarge our virtualisation environment.
DataCore SANsymphony has improved performance, stability and data security of our datacenter.

What is most valuable?

• The most useful features are the continuity of service, mirroring and auto-tiering, and the associated performance.
  • We enjoy great reliability, flexibility, and performance.
  • DataCore helps to use memory efficiently.

What needs improvement?

• The client console should be improved. It starts slowly and heavily.
  • After a long time (idle), the displayed information is no longer completely reliable. You have to close and reopen the console for current data. (symptom after upgrade to PSP8)

More than five years.

Very stable, no failures, no interruptions.

High scalability.

quick support enabled  ;-)

No, we did not.

The initial setup was straightforward, no special hardware, good documentation.

Implementation with a DCIE (DataCore certified implementation engineer).

Not calculated.

For installation and upgrades, work with a good IT partner with a DCIE.

EMC, NetApp.

RF
Technical Services Manager (Enterprise Systems) at Maimonides Medical Center
A flexible and efficient solution for disaster recovery

• "DataCore's ability to seamlessly move virtual volume data between storage pools as well as their synchronous mirroring has made maintenance and disaster recovery planning achievable."
  • "DataCore needs a more efficient and better way to keep track of metrics and counters so that we can do baseline analysis to measure performance."

What is our primary use case?

DataCore is our main Enterprise SAN solution. We serve all workloads among five different DataCore server groups. These workloads include all hypervisors, SQL and Oracle Databases, file shares, archive, and backups. DataCore helps us achieve disaster recovery by allowing us to mirror our data between two sites.

How has it helped my organization?

DataCore has been doing software-defined storage since back before SDS was even a buzzword. It has provided a great deal of flexibility, performance, and efficiency for our Enterprise SAN. We are not tied to any one hardware vendor and over the nineteen years that we've had DataCore, we have gone through various models of IBM servers to Dell servers as well as various storage arrays from IBM, Dot Hill, XIO, Kaminario, and Dell (all with some of the same data from year one).

What is most valuable?

DataCore's ability to seamlessly move virtual volume data between storage pools as well as their synchronous mirroring has made maintenance and disaster recovery planning achievable. DataCore's auto-tiering feature also allows us to use our SSD arrays efficiently.

What needs improvement?

DataCore needs a more efficient and better way to keep track of metrics and counters so that we can do baseline analysis to measure performance. Datacore has some functionality where you can send performance metrics to a SQL database however it has not always worked well for us. We actually had to turn it off because we were actually collecting too much data, but in my opinion we sometimes want this data. Ideally if there was a way to see metrics for current and specific points in time it would be great for troubleshooting and any type of trend analysis.

Nineteen years.

I used to say the problem with DataCore was that it ran on Windows. However, with 2012 R2 and now Windows 2016, things have become much more stable. In general, stability has improved over the years. Most of the problems we've had in the past were due to Windows blue screen errors stemming from our HBA cards.

Scalability has worked well so far. We are up to managing about 2PB of data across five different DataCore Groups.

Technical Support is responsive. They could be a little faster when there is a critical emergency, but for the most part, technical support is good.

We have always had DataCore as our Enterprise SAN.

We've always had DataCore come in with Professional Services to do the initial setup.

In regards to Fibre Channel, buy a server that can handle the highest number of Quad Port HBA cards. Purchase as much memory for the server as you can afford. Anything you spec out, you will need to double if you want redundancy.

We did not evaluate other solutions prior to selecting this one.

reviewer1090101
User
Auto-tiering improves performance by automatically balancing demands for storage

• "DataCore has helped provide flexible, highly available, high-performance storage that otherwise would have been outside our price range."
  • "The cost is becoming prohibitive since they moved to a subscription model."

What is our primary use case?

DataCore is the primary storage solution for all of our VMware hosts, installed on a Dell EMC RX740 server with a combination of spinning and NVMe storage. We have just moved to a 2-host, hyperconverged solution utilizing DataCore. All of our servers and services are running off the 2-node DataCore solution.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is auto-tiering, which allows for storage pools containing different speed storage systems and the data automatically moved to the most appropriate pool.

What needs improvement?

The cost is becoming prohibitive since they moved to a subscription model.  'Education' pricing is such in name only (we are a school).

When we originally purchased Datacore (in 2014) it was on a perpetual basis and provided exceptional value for money. We have renewed our DataCore solution this year, in 2019, and have found that DataCore has moved to a subscription model. Not only was the initial licensing far higher than previously, partly due to additional storage requirements but also because we can no longer acquire a 'limited' license and we also find we now have a large subscription to pay each year.

Six years.

DataCore has been incredibly stable in the last six years that we've been using it, with zero downtime due to a failure in the DataCore component.

DataCore gives me the impression that it is hugely scalable. We currently use it on a tiny scale of two nodes, but this would be expandable to many many more.

DataCore support has always been top-notch whenever we've called on their services, although this has admittedly been rarely due to the stability of the product.

Previously we had local storage on separate physical servers. DataCore seemed the ideal solution for our vSAN when moving to a virtualized environment in VMware.

The initial setup of a conventional vSAN is straightforward.

Our recent setup of a two-node hyperconverged solution was a little more complicated, though this was mainly due to the Dell servers we had ordered as hosts, rather than DataCore itself. The DataCore consultants setting up the solution were very knowledgable and it was completed without too much trouble.

Our solution was implemented through a DataCore specialist, external contractor, who helped configure the whole solution.

When we initially purchased DataCore, it was extremely cost-effective with a perpetual license. They have since moved to a subscription model, which may prove too expensive for us in the future.

Make sure you are made aware of the annual subscription cost when purchasing.

DataCore appeared to be the most suitable, best-value solution at the time and as such, we did not evaluate other alternatives.

reviewer1068588
User
Enables us to use much less hardware for storage which leads to lower power consumption and less heat

• "The features I have found most valuable are the active-active, or so-called grid technology, and the integration into our VMware-vCenter."
  • "I think an easier way to open a service call, right through the DataCore GUI, would be an improvement, especially when there is an urgent issue."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for a high-availability and redundant storage system with fast read and writes times with low latency.

How has it helped my organization?

DataCore SANsymphony has improved our organization by using much less hardware for storage. The power consumption and heat have decreased, so we were able to shut down one air conditioner. Also, it is a faster storage system.

What is most valuable?

The features I have found most valuable are the active-active, or so-called grid technology, and the integration into our VMware vCenter. Our vCenter is now much easier to manage.

What needs improvement?

An easier way to open a service call, right through the DataCore GUI, would be an improvement, especially when there is an urgent issue.

Less than one year.

Although we have just started to use DataCore, we are very happy with the stability of this solution.

The scalability of this solution is very good.

So far, we have not had to contact customer support.

We used the IBM SAN Volume Controller and switched to DataCore. In our case, it was possible to use less hardware and get more performance.

The initial setup was not complex. The migration was fast and we experienced no problems.

We implemented this solution through a partner company.

The cost is at the same level as other storage solutions and it is easy to understand the licensing.

We have some experience with IBM storage solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend taking a look at DataCore because it is a simple-to-use product that saved us from spending more money on additional hardware and support.

JN
Head of Repair at a logistics company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Built-in redundancy allows us to perform maintenance 'on the fly'

• "I'd have to say that the biggest improvement gained by using SANsymphony has to be the performance of the product."
  • "There is no way of quickly matching the exact size of a vDisk to a disk pool."

What is our primary use case?

We use SANsymphony for all of our business-critical data. We run a dual host, VMware 6.7 host environment with a 25Gb/s network fabric connecting to mirrored SANsymphony nodes. We have two business systems running in this environment. One is running Red Hat Linux and Progress DB, whereas the other is running Windows and Microsoft SQL server.

How has it helped my organization?

I'd have to say that the biggest improvement gained by using SANsymphony has to be the performance of the product. When we migrated from our physical SQL server hardware storage to SANsymphony's software-defined storage, with its clever caching mechanism, we saw a huge increase in performance. This decreases the amount of time it takes to make a sale and keeps both our staff and customers happy.

What is most valuable?

SANsymphony is a very versatile product and its vendor's agnostic nature allows us to pick and choose our hardware platform. Its redundancy allows us to perform maintenance 'on the fly' and protects our data from all manners of failure.

What needs improvement?

As a policy, we tend not to over-commit our storage (a feature I'm sure others find really handy). There is no way of quickly matching the exact size of a vDisk to a disk pool.

I can't think of any other features that SANsymphony needs - it is a very comprehensive storage solution.

IT manager at Sciences Po Bordeaux
Easy to administrate and we can adjust the size of the storage very easily, without stopping production

What is our primary use case?

The project was to replace an old SAN (from Dell EMC) with a new system that is more resilient and offers high availability.

How has it helped my organization?

We replaced a SAN (Dell EMC) product with two servers and the SANsymphony software. The solution is more scalable and very easy to administrate.

What is most valuable?

We have gained in scalability. The most valuable feature for us is that we can adjust the size of the storage very easily, without stopping production. The product is easy to administrate.

What needs improvement?

Even though it is easy to administrate, the initial installation and configuration can be complicated. The alert system could have more features.

Three to five years. …

What needs improvement?

The alert system could have more features.

Three to five years.

We feel that this solution is very scalable.

kevinblachon
IT manager at SRADDA
Improved performance and security in our small infrastructure

• "Good security with this solution."
  • "I would like for it to improve into a more ergonomic management console and a translation into the French language. It should have some process for a shutdown of a VM properly in case of a problem."

What is our primary use case?

I use DataCore SANsymphony for the redundancy with two nodes. It's a good solution with a good price for a small infrastructure like us.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved performance, security, RTO, RPO, and timeout. It has improved my organization with the prevention of a breakdown.

What is most valuable?

Redundancy and improved performance in terms of storage with auto-tiering are the most valuable features.

It needs just two nodes for the operating system and licensing.

What needs improvement?

I would like for it to improve into a more ergonomic management console and a translation into the French language. It should have some process for a shutdown of a VM properly in case of a problem.

Less than one year.

The stability is good for the moment.

I feel that the scalability of this solution is very good.

This is our first solution in the world of the hyperconvergence.

Our ROI is from good security.

Storage costs are better with DataCore SANsymphony.

The pricing and licensing are better with DataCore.

I compared it with vSAN.

What other advice do I have?

Good support, very reactive.

SL
System Administrator at Superior Water And Air
I have found it to be easy at increasing storage needs

What is our primary use case?

I run two servers with DataCore doing what it does. I then run VMware on top of that for my Window servers. I currently have roughly 50 users that are constantly using the various servers.

How has it helped my organization?

DataCore gave us speed, redundancy, reliability, and works great with our backup system.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to create storage and assign them to the various datastores in my VMware environment.

What needs improvement?

Installing updates could be a bit more straightforward and easier to install. I have only installed one update on the systems, and for that, I had to bring in outside help that was more knowledgeable with the product than I currently am. He also had to contact DataCore support for assistance as the update did not go smooth. I also did Windows updates at this same time as it was strongly suggested to me not to do the Windows updates as they are released. The Windows updates were installed with no problems and caused no problems to the system.

Very pleased. This system should last me for another five years. That is my hope.

I only run two systems, and I have not had any problems. Nor have I needed to add additional hard drives, but I have been informed that they can be added as needed. I have talked with other DataCore users in my area that have hundreds of terabytes, and they are very happy with the scalability.

I have only needed to contact them once, and they were quick to assist. Excellent support was provided locally and directly from DataCore.

No. This is my first time using software-defined storage.

I had to bring in outside support as I was not familiar with the setup. I believe it took about two days to set everything up.

Vendor team did the setup, and the individual that did the setup was a complete professional. I will continue to use this same individual.

I'm sorry, I don't know this.

I had the vendor that sold me the software and hardware assist with setting up the systems. I also paid for three years of support at the same time when I purchased the software. Again, I found it affordable.

I did look at using VSAN from VMware, but that was going to be more money, hardware, and time involved to implement.

What other advice do I have?

As a side note, I use Veeam to backup my servers, including the DataCore servers, and I have had no problem doing so.

reviewer1061202
User
The new third node is great for an always-on experience

What is our primary use case?

A powerful, always-on system. We used DataCore for a few years.  The best solution to get build and an always-on strategy. It has zero downtime and is very fast and flexible.

How has it helped my organization?

Creates and build fast flash-only storage systems Creates storages with TB in small units Saves many kW of power and cooling.

What is most valuable?

Mirrored vDisk, and creating a third node with asynchronous replication to get the data out of the datacenter. The new third node is great for an always-on experience.

What needs improvement?

Better integration into backup solutions like Veeam An HTML5 feature GUI will improve usability.

What is our primary use case?

• A powerful, always-on system. We used DataCore for a few years.
  • The best solution to get build and an always-on strategy. It has zero downtime and is very fast and flexible.

How has it helped my organization?

• Creates and build fast flash-only storage systems
  • Creates storages with TB in small units
  • Saves many kW of power and cooling.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

• Better integration into backup solutions like Veeam
  • An HTML5 feature GUI will improve usability.

AndrewBouwhuis
Network Administrator at LAN Professionals
Although the product itself is developed and runs so well, the only area I see lacking is their support

What is our primary use case?

We are using DataCore to increase I/O, to more flexibly utilize storage and to provide a robust offsite replication solution.

How has it helped my organization?

It has really helped with I/O and being able to manage our storage more simply.

What is most valuable?

The ease with which I can create and manage storage for my entire network from one easy-to-use interface.

What needs improvement?

The only area I see lacking with DataCore is their support. It's not very good at all, and it's frankly, very frustrating and has almost caused me to swear off the product. With that said, the product itself (especially when working) is developed and runs very well and because of that I will keep using it.

One to…

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

It has really helped with I/O and being able to manage our storage more simply.

JP
Commercial Director with 1-10 employees
Reseller
You can install it on almost any hardware and/or hypervisor

What is our primary use case?

Low-cost infrastructure for SOHO.

How has it helped my organization?

Excellent performance and reliability, and very low cost using home hardware.

What is most valuable?

Flexibility. You can install it on almost any hardware and/or hypervisor.

What needs improvement?

Deduplication works but implementing it is complex.

What is our primary use case?

Low-cost infrastructure for SOHO.

How has it helped my organization?

Excellent performance and reliability, and very low cost using home hardware.

What is most valuable?

Flexibility. You can install it on almost any hardware and/or hypervisor.

What needs improvement?

Deduplication works but implementing it is complex.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're resellers based in Mexico. We also work with this solution in our own environment. So, we are also real users of this product.
MichaelP
Head of IT at United Planet GmbH
Technical support is amazing, very fast, and always has a solution in no time

What is our primary use case?

We use the DataCore software to provide (virtual) storage hardware to our virtualisation environment (VMware ESX).

How has it helped my organization?

• SANsymphony gives us the possibility to get storage redundancy with a very good ROI.
  • It also helps us to get a more balanced performance of our storage systems.

What is most valuable?

• Redundancy of vdisk: It provides less downtime.
  • Continuous data protection: It is always good to have a possibility to "go back".
  • Technical support: Technical support is amazing. It is very fast and always has a solution in no time.

What needs improvement?

• It will help if there is a possibility to backup the vdisks directly.
  • An idea could be that there is a second storage just for backup which doesn't count to the license usage.
  • A better (and easier) tool to detect performance issues.

More than five years.

With SANsymphony we never had any issues of stability.

It is very scalable because you can just extend the storage with other (different) hardware. There is a lot of certified storage hardware. Also, the tier level helps to scale.

Fast, faster, DataCore support.

They are also kind and solution-oriented. They are easy to understand, and you have the feeling they want to help you and get you satisfied.

No, we have only used DataCore SANsymphony as SDS.

The setup was done by our IT partner. It is complex because he also had to set up our iSCSI environment. With Fibre Channel it would be much easier.

Our IT partner started the initial installation. We implemented it in our environment.
The partner had very good expertise.

We didn't calculate the ROI.

We have not calculated the ROI of the software. Only the benefits in redundancy and scalability were important for us.

The licensing is very easy to understand/calculate since the new license model. You just have to license the storage and additional features.

What other advice do I have?

The installation is only supported if it is installed by a DataCore certified implementation engineer. Also, updates should be done by this DCIE.

If you want to manage everything by yourself, you have to get a DCIE.

KC
Administrateur Systèmes et réseaux at Centre Hospitalier de PAU
The better features are the synchronous replication and the management console

What is our primary use case?

• We use DataCore SANsymphony as our primary storage solution replicated on two hosts since October 2012. In July 2018, we dispatched them to the two server rooms.
  • Each DataCore node consists of a server and two storage bays connected in SAS.
  • We use this SAN to store our VMware datastore (300 virtual machines) for our 10 ESXi servers.
  • Each server is connected to storage via two fiber channel links 8Gbps.

How has it helped my organization?

Previously, we had some Windows and Linux servers with direct-attached storage. Our server's farm increases faster than our server room. So, we thought about virtualizing our applications. We chose to use VMware ESXi and DataCore SANsymphony to create our new infrastructure and then began to deploy our infrastructure on one server room. Then in 2018, we chose to dispatch them for more security in two server rooms.

What is most valuable?

• The better features are the synchronous replication and the management console.
  • The synchronous replication gives us the ability to make business continuity planning.
  • I like the management console which is very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

DataCore is currently working with Veeam software for a better integration; this is my only desired missing feature today.

With this feature, Veeam do a snapshot on Virtual Machine, then snapshot the storage.
When storage snapshot is done, Veeam remove the Virtual Machine snapshot to avoid long period snapshot.
With a VMware snapshot period smaller, consolidate will be faster and production will be less impacted.
Then Veeam save VMs directly from storage snapshot without VM performance impact.

When Backup Job is done, veeam ask to Datacore to remove Storage snapshot without any VM interruption or impact performance.

reviewer1003731
User at a non-profit with 1,001-5,000 employees
Has easy cluster maintenance and auto-tiering moves data to fast disk if needed

What is our primary use case?

SAN volumes for all system types. You can serve Linux and Windows systems alike, just add the multipath software.

How has it helped my organization?

Multi-site redundancy, who wouldn't want that? Cluster maintenance is super easy: just add a node to the second site and the software takes care of the data.

What is most valuable?

Auto-tiering moves data to fast disk if needed. Works great. I don't have to think about the second set of data.

What needs improvement?

Maybe adding a Linux data manager, and moving away from Windows. It has become more reliable when using 2012/2016.

Using the newer MS server version has made the system…

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

• Multi-site redundancy, who wouldn't want that?
  • Cluster maintenance is super easy: just add a node to the second site and the software takes care of the data.

What needs improvement?

Using the newer MS server version has made the system more stable.

Very helpful support!

Straightforward. It supports fibre channel.

In-house.

Check what's out there.

What other advice do I have?

Once you use it, you won't want something else. No vendor lock-in.

Larchevesque
Administrator at Conseil Departemental 93
User

What is our primary use case?

We use it as part of the PCA. And also to recycle berries for which we deport their native intelligence on DataCore.

How has it helped my organization?

DataCore SANsymphony has improved our organization in terms of performance, data security and maintenance plan. We can stop one of our machine rooms without interruption of service to the user.

What is most valuable?

The most useful feature is the continuity of service and the associated performance. It brings great flexibility.

What needs improvement?

Additional features that should be included in the next release are "application performance and storage" (new tuning and troubleshooting options).

Maxence VIODET
Technicien SIC at SDIS 58 - Service Départemental d'Incendie et de Secours
Leaderboard
Fast storage, applications start faster, and database access is improved

What is our primary use case?

We use DataCore for VMware datastore. Each ESXi can access datastores stored on DataCore servers on different sites.

How has it helped my organization?

We don't have to check if sync is good or not between each server, DataCore does it for us and replicates on another site.

Storage access is improved. Just after migration, applications respond faster.

What is most valuable?

DataCore is very fast storage, applications start faster, and database access is improved. You can attach different storage pool and DataCore chooses where to store data (the most accessed data are on the faster storage automatically).

Replication helps us to replicate virtual servers on different sites easily.

What needs improvement?

• A web console in HTML5 could help us to manage storage from any computer.
  • Veeam cannot directly access to DataCore storage at the moment; this feature would improve snapshot.

We used Dell EMC and NetApp storage before.

The price and performance of DataCore helped us to change our storage.

Check what really needs fast storage and migrate it to DataCore and let low access data be on other storages.

jfourrier
IT Manager at IMS
Leaderboard

What is our primary use case?

Installation of this hyper-converged infrastructure in our school this summer with two servers directly attached. It works perfectly!!

How has it helped my organization?

• DataCore SANsymphony allows us to have a reliable, fast and easy administration infrastructure.
  • We have a reliable and secure infrastructure thanks to SANsymphony, and all at less cost.

What is most valuable?

• The parallel I/O function is very useful when there are many requests for read/write access to the disks.
    The administration is simple and easy.
  • It is possible to create a virtual disk very easily, and moving the virtual machines is fast.

What needs improvement?

The heavy client mode console should be improved by having a web console to improve accessibility. Also, the analysis time on the storage increase is one month now. This could be improved.

IT System Administrator at Molkerei Ammerland eG
Continuous data protection is an important part of our backup strategy

What is our primary use case?

We can not afford periods for maintenance. So we need a solution with which we can provide appropriate high availability. 100% guaranteed with DataCore SANSymphony-V.

How has it helped my organization?

Our data centers are divided into three sections. It is possible that the provision of data is guaranteed in the event of an error. We use a three-way-mirror from DataCore SANSymphony-V.

What is most valuable?

• Three-way mirror synchronization of the data over three sections
  • Auto-tiering: effective utilization of fast to slow memory areas
  • CDP: Continuous data protection is an important part of our backup strategy.

What needs improvement?

The management: management should take place via OS-independent access. Here a web-based client would be desirable.

More than five years.

Runs very stable and therefore very trustworthy. Without that, a storage solution would be unthinkable.

The scalability is given in all directions (frontend and backend, capacity) to our requirements.

Very fast, very competent, short ways via mail or telephone.

HP EVA4400.

Simple, as the initial training by the manufacturer and the help is very good.

Initially through a system house, then through our in-house team.

One hour of production downtime is more expensive than the solution.

A very good price-performance ratio. The license model is very successful.

The data was only asynchronously mirrored; thereby there was no transparent failover.

What other advice do I have?

No, it was almost perfect.

SL
Senior Manager at Leisse & Soehne GmbH
Fast implementation and integration

What is our primary use case?

We use DataCore to improve the redundancy of our virtual machines so that we can achieve high availability of our server systems.

How has it helped my organization?

We are now able to run a hot standby solution for our virtual systems with separated server rooms (in case of fire), and so we can minimize downtimes of our IT infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

• High availability of storage
  • Stability and performance
  • Fast implementation and integration.

Installation time was about one day. Since then, it runs stable.

What needs improvement?

The product runs stable in the background and does what it should do, so I don't have any special issues at the moment, but increasing performance and improving the user interface for easier setup is always a good idea.

It runs fast and stable.

Since its installation, we had no problems.

In our actual environment it runs stable and fast, and about scalability, I can not (yet) say anything, sorry.

To be honest, we did not need the support until now.

No, we did not.

We installed it through our IT partner. Installation time took around one day.

Installed by our standard IT partner.

Expert level I think.

Increased high availability.

The product was installed by our IT partner in one day, so the installation cost is OK.

Pricing and licensing was also fair.

The product was offered by our system integrator, they had installed it several times for other customers without problems, so we trusted them and they were right.

What other advice do I have?

Maybe using a good IT partner who already has some experience with the product.

it_user811419
      IT Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
      User
      A well-proven, automated management tool in all dynamic provisioning, auto-tiering, and parallel I/O​

What is our primary use case?

Oracle OLTP benchmark to test how it improves the performance while using flash drive NVMe.

How has it helped my organization?

It is a well-proven, automated management tool in all dynamic provisioning, auto-tiering, great performance, parallel I/O, cache speed mechanism, etc.

What is most valuable?

Parallel I/O, because there is no performance degrade nor cache hit when there is a 100% update and 70/30 read/write. There is no performance impact and latency is just 20 ms.

What needs improvement?

Unified storage (all block, objects, and files) should be in a single storage pool with unified storage concepts, hence providing the user with whatever they want.

davidstrom
      Owner at David Strom Inc.
      Writer
      ExpertTop 20
      a solid storage hypervisor

What is most valuable?

Easy to manage disk pools, different storage tiers and virtual storage repositories Continuous data protection just takes a single click to enable

What needs improvement?

Pricing can be confounding with many options

What other advice do I have?

SANsymphony-V offers a comprehensive set of storage virtualization functions to build a very robust storage network that speeds up applications, ensures business continuity and facilitates disaster recovery.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Pricing can be confounding with many options

it_user2193
      Director of IT at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
      Inexpensive and runs on commodity hardware, but beware of technical support

Valuable Features:

inexpensive for the amount of storage runs on commodity hardware

Room for Improvement:

tech support is NOT good at all, even when buying the higher level support from them. You feel like you know more than the person you are speaking with.

Valuable Features:

inexpensive for the amount of storage runs on commodity hardware

Room for Improvement: