Dell EMC Avamar Competitors and Alternatives
Read reviews of Dell EMC Avamar competitors and alternatives
Senior Network System Engineer at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Oct 7, 2019
Takes the load off vSphere or any of our ESXi hosts and makes things just a dream to manage
What is our primary use case?The primary use case for Rubrik is backup and restore and as an archival system. We use it for backup and restore for virtual machines, managed volumes that are mounted and which we use for snapshots from Rubrik to endpoint devices, NAS shares from our Isilon system, as well as SQL databases, Oracle Databases, and Windows and Linux. We may have some failover cluster Windows shares going to it. It's for backups and restores of pretty much everything. It works really well in concert with Pure Storage technology. We have a really large Pure Storage environment and they play really well together… more »
Pros and Cons
- "The fact that the API is so available to us with the playground — there's an internal and public playground — is also valuable. We can write API calls — and although I'm sure there's a way we could hurt the data — we write those calls with a lot of certainty that we won't be destroying anything. We write these API calls using really easy mechanisms and generate automation a lot faster."
- "Also, the web interface is really great. The design, from a user-experience standpoint, is really straightforward and easy to use... they nailed it. Usually, from the very first panel, the dashboard that you land on after login, you've got most of your functionality right around where you need it to be. You've got your new items on the left, you've got your support on the top right. Nothing really seems out of place or just stuck in someplace."
- "I have a personal want which might not necessarily make sense with Rubrik as a company or Rubrik as a software, but it'd be really nice if they could also handle things like item-level backups and restores of Active Directory objects and DNS and DCP objects."
What other advice do I have?My advice would be in the form of a question. If you have the money to purchase Rubrik, the real question is do you want success? Do you want it to work? Because if you want it to work and you want it to be easy — I don't know if Rubrik has won awards for support and service, although I feel like they should have — if you want that support for the few times that you need it, then you go with Rubrik. It's a really good, seamless system. It's a no-brainer, sometimes. It just works. I met up with them at VMworld and I actually got to talk to one of the people who was writing the PowerShell…
Enterprise Data Management Supervisor at Southern Farm Bureau Casualty Insurance Company
Real UserTop 5
Jul 15, 2020
Instead of one mass disaster recovery exercise, we're easily able to perform up to 12 in the year
What is our primary use case?We use it for disaster recovery and to migrate machines from one location to another.
Pros and Cons
- "In situations of failback or moving workloads, it saves us hours. If I were to have to move a four or five terabyte machine using something like VMware's virtual copy it has to install on the machine and copy the data over. Then it has to shut the machine down and do a final copy, which means there's a lot of downtime while it's doing the final copy."
- "The interface is the only thing that we've ever really had an issue with. It's gone through some revisions. The UI, it's not clunky, but it's not as streamlined as it could be. Some of the workflow things are not as nice as they could be."
What other advice do I have?My advice would be to do the proof of concept. They're very willing to help you with the installation. Do a proof of concept. If you're not amazed by it, I would be surprised. Everybody that we've ever talked to about this and have done a test of it says, "I can't believe it's just that easy." I would rate Zerto a ten out of ten.
Consultant, Backup Systems at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Jan 22, 2021
User-friendly GUI and fast support, but container support should be improved
What is our primary use case?The primary use cases are file system backup, endpoint backup, and virtualization backups. We are using it with Quantum and Dell Data Domain.
Pros and Cons
- "The GUI is user-friendly."
- "The process of upgrading versions should be improved because as it is now, you have to completely uninstall the old version first, and then install the new version."
What other advice do I have?For a file system backup or one that is on disk or in a tape library, or for virtualization, I recommend using NetWorker. I say this because of ease of deployment, ease of use, and the user-friendly GUI. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Customer Solution Architect, IT Outsourcing & Cloud Computing Services at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Real UserTop 10
Jun 29, 2020
Very good VM portal and the CloudCatalyst but needs disaster recovery capabilities
What is our primary use case?I primarily use the solution to back up my customer's CMs or servers inside all of their data centers.
Pros and Cons
- "The VM portal and the CloudCatalyst are two of the solution's most valuable features."
- "It would be helpful, in future releases, if the solution could add WORM (Write Once Read Many) support right within the product."
What other advice do I have?Since we are a service provider, we have a close relationship with Veritas. We offer services based on their technology and on their product. I'd advise others considering implementing the solution to first evaluate against use cases. Depending on the use cases, the cost can change quite a lot. Overall, I'd recommend the solution, however. It's quite good and very reliable. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.
IT specialist - Monitoring and security at Operator ICT
Real UserTop 5
Sep 16, 2020
A very user-friendly and intuitive solution that helps maintain stability
What is our primary use case?We bought the Veeam Enterprise license for Linux and Microsoft backup for the virtual machines running on those operating systems. The reason we bought this software is that I have a lot of experience with Veeam software. When I compare Veeam with the storage manager from IBM or data protocol from HP or Exeter or some backups from Dell, Veeam is superior. I could buy these other products but Veeam is best because it is very user-friendly as well as being a very great solution. In addition to my personal experience and opinion, when we bought this software, our virtualization software only had… more »
Pros and Cons
- "Veeam helps to create a stable environment with virtual servers."
- "The initial setup is very straightforward."
- "Veeam is very user-friendly and intuitive software."
- "The solution could use some updates to minor details omitted from current reporting."