AA
Modern Data Center and Cloud Engineer II at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
MSP
Flexible and stable with great reporting

• "The solution is very stable."
  • "The product could offer more integration capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution the database replications in web hosting, mostly.

What is most valuable?

The duplication capabilities are very helpful.

The native data protection capability and remote data protection capabilities make it a unique solution. It makes it possible so that it will fit with any kind of vendor the customer needs.

The backup features. for example, the exclusionary statement, are excellent.

Overall, the solution offers some really great reporting.

It's very flexible when it comes to the end-user device backup.

In general, the product has been extremely easy to use. It's one of the best aspects.

The solution is very stable.

What needs improvement?

The solution does not scale. It would be nice if there were much more scalability capabilities.

The solution could get better at data process managing. It can take more than three or four hours for supporting images. It's critical to do this faster.

It would be helpful if the product could support Linux patches. It's my understanding it only offers HTML.

The product could offer more integration capabilities.

We've been using the solution for a few years at this point. It's been a while. I personally have been dealing with the solution for four years or so.

The solution is very stable. It doesn't crash or freeze. There are no bugs or glitches. The performance is very reliable.

The product does not scale. If a company needs something that can scale, they need something else.

We have three customers that are currently using the solution.

Typically, we handle support-related queries from customers, however, we have dealt with Avamar's technical support in the past and they have been helpful and responsive. The response time in particular has always been very good.

The installation process is not complex at all. It's very straightforward. A company shouldn't have any trouble with the process. It's easy.

Deployments typically take about one and a half hours or so.

Currently, we have five technical engineers. Each one has its own specialization that they are capable of deploying Avamar. We can deploy the solution for our clients.

Customers do have to pay for a professional license in order to use the solution.

What other advice do I have?

We are integrators.

We tend to work with relatively new versions of the solution. It may not always be the latest version. Typically the versions we use have been released in the last six months or so.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations and especially to end-users.

In general, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

DW
Storage Administrator at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
An easy initial setup with good duplication and good stability

• "The initial setup is easy."
  • "It would be helpful if there was cloud support."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for virtual infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The duplication is the solution's most valuable aspect.

The initial setup is easy.

What needs improvement?

The solution is actually moving over to a new PowerProtect solution. I'm not sure, in terms of the roadmap, how long they'll have Avamar and NetWorker as they have now launched a new PowerProtect backup solution.

Therefore, the concern really is what the future will be with another product. Will we have to migrate, for example, and will it be easy or hard to do so?

It would be helpful if there was cloud support.

I've been using the solution for about eight years now. It's been a while.

We've been happy with the stability. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's not buggy. It's been good.

The scalability is limited right now. A company shouldn't expect to be able to expand it too much. That may be just the case in general for the kind of software it is.

We typically work to size accordingly to avoid having to make upgrades.

The support is okay. They are pretty knowledgable and prompt. I'd rate them seven out of ten overall. We're mostly satisfied with their level of service.

We actually used to use Veritas. We got rid of Veritas Symantec NetBackup because it couldn't do all the deduplication we needed and didn't have all of the features that Avamar has. The support was also very bad. We were happy to switch to something else.

The initial setup is not complex. Implementation is pretty straightforward.

We had Dell assist us a bit in the implementation process.

I'm not sure how to calculate the cost. It's a hard question to answer. I do know that we pay for support upfront for five years.

I'm not sure how to compare costs, however, I can say that based on what we're seeing we get very good deduplication rates with the data domain on the backend.

We did briefly look at another solution, however, we decided not to move forward with it.

What other advice do I have?

We're currently just customers with Dell. We don't have a business relationship with them.

I'm not sure if I would recommend the solution as there's a new solution that will be replacing it. However, it's not a bad solution as it stands.

Overall, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. It's a pretty decent product.

Learn what your peers think about Dell EMC Avamar. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,608 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Shehan Attapattu
head of presales at a integrator with 11-50 employees
A stable and scalable solution that's always improving

• "The source site replication feature is valuable."
  • "It would be better if we could integrate easily with other platforms."

What is our primary use case?

In a data center, the entire workloads are virtualized, and they are backing up the content, and sometimes because of bandwidth, operations need to be backed up quickly. In that kind of scenario, this source site replication is very supportive. Avamar evaluates the data that's already backed up, and only the chain blocks can be transferred via the network. There won't be any heavy network traffic, and the time it takes to backup is quick and within the window.

On the client-side, we can also backup clients with Avamar. These days with the pandemic, most of them work from home, and we're using less network bandwidth to backup end user transfers.

What is most valuable?

The source site replication feature is valuable.

What needs improvement?

It would be better if we could integrate easily with other platforms. I would like to see better integration with VMware vCenter. We normally integrate Avamar with VMware vCenter Server and virtualize Avamar within the VM. Once, we wanted to backup only a few VMs within the vCenter, without integrating it to the vCenter. But we come across some problems. Without adding the vCenter directly, there was some difficulty in adding the VMs. When we replaced more clients in the OS, this problem was solved.

I have been using Dell EMC Avamar for three years.

Dell EMC Avamar is stable so far. As we have worked with software engineers trained to use this product, they can configure and provide support on their own.

Dell EMC Avamar is a scalable solution.

Support is okay. We don't use it frequently as our engineers can manage well. Only when they can't handle a problem, they call support. We also use technical sites and the web portal, and these help our engineers capably handle day to day requirements.

The initial setup isn't complex. Because the engineers are trained, they're familiar with the product and can do this implementation.

The implementation time depends on the data center. The issues we face are mainly on the network. For example, sometimes, their policies on implementing the communication between the servers lead to some downtime. Other than that, we can implement Dell EMC Avamar between two-three days.

We implemented Dell EMC Avamar ourselves, in-house.

It was very expensive before, but after integrating it with Dell EMC Avamar Data Protection suite licensing, we are getting better discounts.

What other advice do I have?

I always see improvements on the Avamar side, and we are happy with that.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Dell EMC Avamar a ten.

RN
Deputy General Manager ( Practice Head Data Protection and Migration) at Netmagic Solutions (An NTT Communications Company)
Great duplication and backup speed made a huge difference to us but it is expensive

• "Duplication and the speed of backup are great."
  • "It's an expensive solution."

What is our primary use case?

I recently stopped using this product because my work moved away from operations and I'm now a patents director, so I generally do the designing. My client was looking for backups and for an application along with a desktop backup. We are partners with Dell and I'm the deputy general manager of the company.

What is most valuable?

The best feature is the duplication and the speed of backup, which really made the difference for us.

What needs improvement?

Everyone is now talking about hyperscalers like AWS, Azure and Google, so I guess Data Domain and others are coming in a native format, but the pricing is really expensive compared to the rest of the competitors' software. Beam and maybe Commvault are providing cheaper solutions compared to Avamar and Data Domain on software hyperscalers. They should really move to cloud and reduce the price. It's not a portal service, so we have to buy the devices along with it. That was the problem we kept facing in the market.
Nowadays every backup solution has more features compared to this, but I can't think of anything that needs improving in Avamar because it's already an enterprise tool.

I've used this solution for the past three years.

The stability is good.

The scalability is good.

Dell EMC is pretty good in terms of customer support. We use our own team for maintenance.

In the  case of Commvault, you should have a drive or your DVD engine, key machines which you have to start because you need to have the ability for the machine. That is the only difference I've seen between Avamar and Commvault. Commvault seems to have the upper hand because of the computation and duplication services. That said, Avamar is used mainly  for enterprise and Commvault is good for SMB and smaller customers.

The initial setup was a bit complicated, it's not a simple setup. There are a lot of challenging networks to deploy. It's not related to the software, it's more from a customer network point of view. The deployment took me about one or two days, not more than that.

What other advice do I have?

If you're enterprise, you are definitely going to use Avamar because it can save a lot of space because of its duplication feature, which is great. Just the backup speed is tremendous compared to other backup solutions. If you're enterprise and having issues with set up, then I'd definitely recommend Avamar.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

Private Cloud
SA
Snr. Systems Architect at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Reseller
Very user-friendly but lacks support for certain plugins

• "Graphically, it's very user interactive. It's got a very nice interface."
  • "It lacks support for certain plugins, like SAP HANA, for example."

What is our primary use case?

My customer has a huge virtual environment — vCenter and VMware. They need images backed up, they have different workloads like Oracle, SAP, and NetWorker. They have a compliance policy that they have to tape out but Avamar, out of the box, cannot do the tape out. That's why I had to introduce NetWorker into the picture.

What is most valuable?

Graphically, it's very user interactive. It's got a very nice interface. Compared to NetWorker, although Avamar is more user-friendly, it lacks support for certain plugins, like SAP HANA, for example. In this particular project that I'm working on, they need to back up SAP HANA but Avamar does not support that. Also, regarding compliance, they need to tape out. Avamar does not support that out of the box.

I have been using this solution for over six years.

For the project that I am currently working on, I will be using Avamar to migrate their old historical data to the new environment because this new environment is attached to Data Domain. Scalability-wise and stability-wise, I don't see any issues.

I haven't had to contact support as of yet.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. It's good that Dell EMC provides the virtual additions of these appliances for people to practice beforehand. Otherwise, you might be familiar with a certain version but not understand the subsequent versions. You would never know unless you could get a production set up, which is not possible. You can't go and play with the client setup. For this reason, Dell EMC, like other good vendors, offers virtual additions. Data Domain, NetWorker, Avamar, everything you can practice.

The client has directly bought this solution from another partner. I've been subcontracted for this. I don't know anything about the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

Regarding end-users, I would say stick with disk-based backup. Avamar does it very well with the VMware virtual environments, even Hyper-V for that reason.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Dell EMC Avamar a rating of seven.

The reason I am giving it a rating of seven is because of the plugin issues and the inability to tape out. Frankly, there are still a lot of clients in this region who need to be in compliance — they need the tape out. It's really a nightmare if you want to tape out with Avamar. There's a way to work around this but you've got to install an ADME node, which is actually a small brother of NetWorker. Still, it's a really painful process.

MD
HSSE Director at a wellness & fitness company with 10,001+ employees
Good technical support and needs little bandwidth but requires better orchestration

• "The most valuable feature of Avamar would have to be the way it works over needing very little bandwidth to move data across a WAN or LAN."
  • "The interface has room for improvement. It's not ideal right now."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The interface has room for improvement. It's not ideal right now.

The product needs to have compatibility with more advanced systems such as Oracle ASM files.

The automation and orchestration features need work. Other products like Vain, for example, lend themselves to better automation and orchestration.

If you want to set up integration with a cloud environment, for example, it's very difficult to do that. Avamar doesn't work very well in the cloud environment.

The solution requires better ease of use and compatibility. It would be ideal if it could work with Oracle on an ISM environment.

There needs to be better iintegration into the public cloud environments.

It would be better if the cost of the product was less.

I've been using the solution for about ten years now. It's been at least a decade at this point. I've worked with it in various companies as well.

Technical support, from my experience with the vendor, has been good. We're satisfied with the level of service Dell offers. They seem to be knowledgeable and responsive.

I personally have a lot of experience in the space. For example, I've worked with Looker, NetWorker, Commvault, and other competitive technologies, including Dell's own NetWorker.

The initial setup is okay. It's a little complex, however, overall, it's not too bad to implement.

The price of the product could be lower. It's actually probably one of the more expensive products, at least in the enterprise-class. Other technologies are cheaper, and other vendors are adding more features. Therefore, it's falling behind a bit in what other vendors are doing. They need to catch up.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a customer and don't have a professional relationship with Dell.

Whether or not, I'd advise a new user to implement this product depends on their environment. It's very good. It's a very well distributed environment and it's probably the best product on the market. However, most companies today are engaging in leveraging the cloud, and in that case, my advice to them is to look at other technologies.

On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate it a seven. If it offered better orchestration and cloud capabilities, for example, it would push it up to a nine. A cost reduction in their pricing model would push it up there as well.

SL
Senior Consultant at a tech company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Good stability and backup speed, but the GUI and reporting need to be improved

• "It works quickly and is very stable."
  • "The screen design is a bit back-dated."

What is our primary use case?

We are system integrators who are selling backup solutions, and Dell EMC Avamar is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

I had come across it for backing up laptops and VMware but previously, I have had clients using it to backup system machines like AIX, Solaris, and others. Slowly, people are moving away from those.

What is most valuable?

Using Avamar for VM backup is pretty good, but we've used it for other purposes as well.

It works quickly and is very stable.

What needs improvement?

The screen design is a bit back-dated.

The reports are not very presentable.

The price of this product should be lower.

We have been working with Dell EMC Avamar for a few years.

This is a very stable product.

Avamar is quite scalable.

With respect to technical support, sometimes you get a good technician or a good engineer, and you can get the problem resolved pretty fast. If on the other hand, you get someone with a very heavy accent then you can speak for three hours and not understand what the other is trying to say.

We work with quite a number of backup products including Veritas NetBackup, Veritas Backup Exec, Dell EMC Networker, Dell EMC Avamar, and Rubrick.

The choice of product that I recommend depends on the situation and what the customer is saying. If they are not happy with one then I can suggest others that are good, too.

What other advice do I have?

If my customer is already using an existing product then I will not recommend that they switch unless there are serious problems. If there is some heavy restructuring, for instance, because a previous person knew the environment very well, it will be difficult to take over. It is best if they have something very simple to manage.

In general, it is not easy to switch from one backup platform to another because of incompatibility.

My advice for anybody who is implementing Dell EMC Avamar is that it's always good to have a plan first. You want to know exactly what you have on-hand that you need to back up.

Overall, this is a good product. The stability and backup speed are very good but the GUI and reports are not something that a new user can get used to.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Hermann Eric Steve ZE MVONDO
Expert IT Infrastructure and Systems at ITGSTORE CONSULTING
Enables our customers to meet their goals but it is hard to manage

• "It's a good solution."
  • "The management of this solution is a little bit difficult for IT administrators. They have to be trained before going through the system."

What is our primary use case?

As solution providers, we provide solutions to meet the objectives and goals of customers. We provide a general global architecture and the right solution that will solve a customer's problem and meet the goal at the fixed cost. If the customer doesn't mention a specific provider, then to meet the goal, we use the provider that we have to.

What is most valuable?

It's a good solution.

What needs improvement?

We have been using Dell EMC Avamar for two to three years.

We haven't worked on the extension or scalability of Dell EMC Avamar. We didn't find it fairly straight forward. When we have to upgrade or scale it, a lot of things don’t fit.

Dell EMC Avamar is hard to manage because of the support. It’s very difficult to get support. Our solution is complex which makes it more difficult to get an answer from them. We have multiple vendors in our environment. Support only looks at their own solution and not the solution as a whole. It would be easier if our whole infrastructure was Dell EMC. It’s very difficult to get help with troubleshooting. When you have an architecturally multiple-vendor solution, like we do, it’s hard to find a solution to the problem. It’s normal that they only focus on the part that corresponds to their company, but I would like for them to look at the environment as a whole.

I did not find the setup to be fairly straightforward. There are a lot of things that don’t fit when we try to upgrade or scale it. We have to break every chain and reduce it from scratch.

What other advice do I have?

It's difficult to manage the Dell EMC Avamar template, so we try to avoid that program. The return process, when there was no space and we had to create some space, was very time-consuming. There are solutions that are simpler than Dell EMC Avamar.

I would rate Dell EMC Avamar a six out of ten.

From my IT experience, there are much simpler solutions than Dell EMC Avamar for management and recovery. Dell EMC Avamar would not be my first choice.

Download our free Dell EMC Avamar Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.