Dell EMC Data Domain Boost Overview

Dell EMC Data Domain Boost is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top Deduplication Software. It is most often compared to HPE StoreOnce: Dell EMC Data Domain Boost vs HPE StoreOnce

What is Dell EMC Data Domain Boost?
EMC Data Domain Boost provides advanced integration with backup and enterprise applications for increased performance and ease of use.
Dell EMC Data Domain Boost Buyer's Guide

Download the Dell EMC Data Domain Boost Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Dell EMC Data Domain Boost Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dell EMC Data Domain Boost pricing:
  • "We scale this product by adding licenses, which are related to capacity."
  • "The cost is monthly."
  • "The pricing is high compared to the competition and should be reconsidered."

AG
Backup & Storage Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Extremely stable, very easy to scale, and very good deduplication compression ratio

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as an SQL backup. We also use the DD Boost protocol.

• "The solution is quite scalable. An organization shouldn't have any problem expanding if they use this solution."
  • "Technical support is okay but could be improved. I've sent a lot of complaints their way and I feel like they might be able to respond a bit better."

What other advice do I have?

We don't have a business relationship with EMC. We're just customers. Data Domain, on a scale out of ten, I would give an eight due to the amount of compression and data retention it offers. It's very stable as an infrastructure for backup, and we can use it as a storage as well. I'd advise other organizations to do some comparisons with other solutions, however, and especially look into scalability and how that might affect their decisions. They should also do their homework to find out things like how soon it's possible to restore an item.
Pre Sales Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Integrates well with support for multiple protocols

What is our primary use case?

I am a solution engineer, and I help customers design and implement their solutions and architectures. I propose technologies, such as Dell EMC. I also assist the sales consultants with technical questions from customers. This solution, Data Domain Boost, works with Data Domain to improve the backup speed. For example, we propose this solution for customers who need to back up their VR LAN quickly. The best use case for this solution is a client that has a LAN architecture backup with a lot of data. It may include databases like Oracle and MSSQL. Recently, we integrated a Data Domain 9300 for… more »

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is that it can support both the CIFS and NFS protocols simultaneously."
  • "There are limitations when using the VTL protocol in extreme cases."

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I recommend without any doubt. One of my clients had trouble with sizing and architecture because initially, he had little data and a small budget. When the size of his business increased he wanted to keep the same model, but it was not possible because each model has limitations. All of the features are really good and respond well to business and client needs. All of my clients are satisfied and have not asked for any additional features. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Dell EMC Data Domain Boost. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
510,204 professionals have used our research since 2012.
System Engineer at Seal Software
Easy to install, improves our customer's backup speed, and reduces storage space

What is our primary use case?

As a cloud-based solution, customers buy cloud applications like Veeam or Backup X6, and they need storage to put data on the cloud. We recommend Data Domain to them and we implement a solution using Data Domain Boost with their backup solution. I implement and troubleshoot for the customers. In the last six months, the deployment model we were using is on-premises. I have only deployed on the cloud once, and it's easy for our customers. It's a pleasure to do. All of my experience is on-premises.

• "The most valuable feature is the support for plug-ins."
  • "There are some limitations where you cannot use it as a shared server or as a file server, it is limited for the only backup."

What other advice do I have?

There are good and bad points to having this solution only for backup. It's good to protect your data from attacks such as ransomware. You only use the storage for backups, so you don't have to share folders. The main difference between EMC Data Domain and EMC Data Domain Boost is that the Boost is an add-on you install that allows you to transfer the backup job quickly. After performing a full backup, you would schedule it to run every week, and instead of it doing a full backup of all of the data, Data Domain Boost will back up only the data that has been added or that is different from the…
AA
Senior Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reliable software for enhancing how backup servers function

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this product for cost savings and saving server capacity.

• "This product's unique protocol make it superior to competing products and alternate solutions."
  • "Connectivity with the cloud and on-premises needs improved gateways."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Dell EMC Data Domain Boost as a ten. I strongly recommend this product for all its capabilities. I do self-study and read articles about this product to learn about capabilities and solutions even though I am familiar with it. It is good for users to do self-study to get the most out of the product.
SJ
Trainer, storage consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A reliable backup solution that scales with your throughput

What is our primary use case?

We are an integrator and this is one of the solutions that we supply to our customers. I do some of the training on this solution for our customers, as well, so I use it personally in that regard. This is primarily used as a backup solution.

• "Overall, scalability is great."
  • "This solution should cover more platforms, and there should be more product coverage."

What other advice do I have?

My suggestion for anybody who is implementing this solution is to use the Fibre Channel, if possible. If not, then try to use it over IP. If you cannot use either then there are other options, but the Fibre Channel is preferred. It gives you not only an increased speed but also some additional features. The biggest lesson that I have learned when working with this solution is that you can always do something better. I have been in the backup industry for more than twenty years, and there have been times when I was bored with the products. What I have found is that you can always expect to see…
CR
Storage Specialist at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
Compresses our data storage and is user-friendly and easy to maintain

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to compress our data storage and as a data backup environment. We only store our data for two weeks, so in a two-week period, for the volume of data as well as our mixed types of data, we get the best cost per terabyte stored on Data Domain.

• "I like the tool set, it's easy to work on and the support is brilliant."
  • "It would be nice if they could have the same tool set right from the smallest to the biggest modules, but being specific frame dependent."

What other advice do I have?

I will definitely recommend this solution, but I obviously don't know other people's environment. I would say that you should write down what your criteria is, what you want, and then do a proper test with all the vendors. Most often people promise you things, and once you start digging into it, it is not there. Like Huawei - many of the functions we needed, they just don't have, so they rely on tools from other vendors to give you that functionality. So I would obviously recommend it as a solution, because I know it works. In the future I would like to be able to pump data straight into…
AZ
Storage Team Leader at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Very fast with good dashboards and has the potential for discounted pricing

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for the backup capabilities. I'm using about 100 terabytes daily.

• "The initial setup is very straightforward."
  • "The solution doesn't scale. If you hit your capacity, you need to buy a new device."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Dell. I would recommend the solution to other organizations. I'd advise companies to take care to think about capacity, as you can't really resize anything. If you decide to upgrade, it may be smart to ask them about discounts. It can save you money and give you a good deal. I would rate the solution eight out of ten. We've been mostly happy with the product.
Head of IT Infrastructure and Security Operations at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
Offers fast and efficient data restore and is stable

• "Data Domain is valuable, especially to restore data. For normal data, the restore from Data Domain is very efficient and fast."
  • "The experience of restoring VMware or Veeam Backup is difficult, when the backup you are using is a solution for backup, which is already having a deduplication. When you try to restore from Data Domain, it doesn't work perfectly, because Data Domain is already having a deduplication as well."

What other advice do I have?

Study the workload very well before you go into the sizing phase. You have to study your workloads, so you can anticipate them and avoid any unplanned workloads. I would rate the solution as eight out of ten. It is quite sufficient but needs a little bit of improvement.
See 7 more Dell EMC Data Domain Boost Reviews