Dell EMC Data Domain Boost OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dell EMC Data Domain Boost is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top Deduplication Software. It is most often compared to HPE StoreOnce: Dell EMC Data Domain Boost vs HPE StoreOnce

What is Dell EMC Data Domain Boost?
EMC Data Domain Boost provides advanced integration with backup and enterprise applications for increased performance and ease of use.

Download the Deduplication Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Dell EMC Data Domain Boost Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dell EMC Data Domain Boost pricing:
  • "The pricing is high compared to the competition and should be reconsidered."
  • "The solution is very good because it is easy to use and it speeds up the backup and lowers the requirement for the storage rate. It is capable of encryption, compression, and deduplication and it is fast for sending all of the data over the network because it sends only the change blocks from the client to the DD server."
  • "The hardware platform is cost intense, so for small and mid-range, this product is not the best choice."

Dell EMC Data Domain Boost Reviews

AG
Backup & Storage Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Extremely stable, very easy to scale, and very good deduplication compression ratio

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as an SQL backup. We also use the DD Boost protocol.

• "The solution is quite scalable. An organization shouldn't have any problem expanding if they use this solution."
  • "Technical support is okay but could be improved. I've sent a lot of complaints their way and I feel like they might be able to respond a bit better."

What other advice do I have?

We don't have a business relationship with EMC. We're just customers. Data Domain, on a scale out of ten, I would give an eight due to the amount of compression and data retention it offers. It's very stable as an infrastructure for backup, and we can use it as a storage as well. I'd advise other organizations to do some comparisons with other solutions, however, and especially look into scalability and how that might affect their decisions. They should also do their homework to find out things like how soon it's possible to restore an item.
AA
Senior Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reliable software for enhancing how backup servers function

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this product for cost savings and saving server capacity.

• "This product's unique protocol make it superior to competing products and alternate solutions."
  • "Connectivity with the cloud and on-premises needs improved gateways."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Dell EMC Data Domain Boost as a ten. I strongly recommend this product for all its capabilities. I do self-study and read articles about this product to learn about capabilities and solutions even though I am familiar with it. It is good for users to do self-study to get the most out of the product.
Find out what your peers are saying about Dell EMC, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Veritas and others in Deduplication Software. Updated: September 2021.
536,244 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AZ
Storage Team Leader at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Very fast with good dashboards and has the potential for discounted pricing

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for the backup capabilities. I'm using about 100 terabytes daily.

• "The initial setup is very straightforward."
  • "The solution doesn't scale. If you hit your capacity, you need to buy a new device."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Dell. I would recommend the solution to other organizations. I'd advise companies to take care to think about capacity, as you can't really resize anything. If you decide to upgrade, it may be smart to ask them about discounts. It can save you money and give you a good deal. I would rate the solution eight out of ten. We've been mostly happy with the product.
Mahmoud-Yassin
Head of IT Infrastructure and Security Operations at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
Offers fast and efficient data restore and is stable

• "Data Domain is valuable, especially to restore data. For normal data, the restore from Data Domain is very efficient and fast."
  • "The experience of restoring VMware or Veeam Backup is difficult, when the backup you are using is a solution for backup, which is already having a deduplication. When you try to restore from Data Domain, it doesn't work perfectly, because Data Domain is already having a deduplication as well."

What other advice do I have?

Study the workload very well before you go into the sizing phase. You have to study your workloads, so you can anticipate them and avoid any unplanned workloads. I would rate the solution as eight out of ten. It is quite sufficient but needs a little bit of improvement.
MT
Data Protection Specialist at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Speeds up backups, easy to use, and installation is straightforward

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution with Data Domain (DD) to enhance the data backups of our databases and applications. It is a very popular solution around the world.

What other advice do I have?

If you want to manage your database backups, then you should use DD Boost for Enterprise applications. I would recommend this solution to others. I rate Dell EMC Data Domain Boost a nine out of ten.
    MS
    Senior Consultant at a healthcare company
    Good management interfaces and has good functionality

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution mostly on-premises.

• "The functionality is very good. DD Boost and DD entry replication are used in almost all backup concepts. Those are the most used features."
    • "The multi-tier functionality can be improved, but it is quite good. They could improve replication and perhaps support additional sharing network protocols. I would also like to see better implementation of NFS Version 3, but it is already implemented and quite usable as it is."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product. I would rate it as nine of ten, overall.
    Shehan Attapattu
    head of presales at a integrator with 11-50 employees
    A stable solution that is easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

We proposed the use of Dell EMC Data Domain Boost with Oracle backend to a financial organization. They had a very good experience with backup times and fast resolutions.

What needs improvement?

Integration could be better. Sometimes when integrating with different systems, it's not straightforward.

I have been using Dell EMC Data Domain Boost for three years.

Dell EMC Data Domain Boost is a stable solution. Our team is trained and certified to use this product and don't have any complaints about it.

Their technical support was actually good. In the POC environment, we needed some help, and they…
    BT
    System Infrastructure Group Leader at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Data domain is very stable; application and compression are very good

What is our primary use case?

We are using the product as a back-up target solution.  I am an infrastructure group leader and we are customers of Dell.

What is most valuable?

I like the stability of the solution. We are using firewalls and the data domain is very stable, the back-up target and the application and compression are very good. It's a Dell EMC data domain boost.

What needs improvement?

The capacity of the solution is very low which is why we're moving to a different product.

I've been using this solution for five years.

What other advice do I have?

The main downside of the solution is the capacity, otherwise it's a good product. I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.