Dell EMC Data Domain Boost OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dell EMC Data Domain Boost is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Deduplication Software. It is most often compared to HPE StoreOnce: Dell EMC Data Domain Boost vs HPE StoreOnce

What is Dell EMC Data Domain Boost?
EMC Data Domain Boost provides advanced integration with backup and enterprise applications for increased performance and ease of use.

Download the Deduplication Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Dell EMC Data Domain Boost Video

Archived Dell EMC Data Domain Boost Reviews (more than two years old)

Mahmoud-Yassin
Head of IT Infrastructure and Security Operations at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
Offers fast and efficient data restore and is stable

• "Data Domain is valuable, especially to restore data. For normal data, the restore from Data Domain is very efficient and fast."
  • "The experience of restoring VMware or Veeam Backup is difficult, when the backup you are using is a solution for backup, which is already having a deduplication. When you try to restore from Data Domain, it doesn't work perfectly, because Data Domain is already having a deduplication as well."

What is most valuable?

Data Domain is valuable, especially for restoring data. For normal data, the restore from Data Domain is very efficient and fast.

What needs improvement?

The experience of restoring VMware or Veeam Backup is difficult when the backup you are using is a  solution for backup, which is already having a deduplication. When you try to restore from Data Domain, it doesn't work perfectly, because Data Domain is already having a deduplication as well.

This is only a deduplication issue. If you are restoring databases with a normal backup, it will work very fast. However, if you are restoring your database at the deduplication by VM backup, then the deduplication for it will be very slow.

I have used Domain for around seven or eight years, in different models.

The stability is there actually.

The problem with Data Domain is you have to size it to the right size for your workloads before you choose. Upgrading the platform is not that easy.

You can add some more shelves, but this will not give you that much capacity for your workload. You have to ensure that you study the workload well.

To be precise, it is not scalable if you are jumping from small to medium or from medium to large. Within the medium tier, however, it is scalable.

Excellent. The technical support at EMC is one of the best I have known.

The initial setup is a bit complicated. It's a difficult task to set it up. After this, however, things go fairly smoothly. After you define the main things, there is no need to do anything else.

What other advice do I have?

Study the workload very well before you go into the sizing phase. You have to study your workloads, so you can anticipate them and avoid any unplanned workloads.

I would rate the solution as eight out of ten. It is quite sufficient but needs a little bit of improvement.

MS
Senior Consultant at a healthcare company
Good management interfaces and has good functionality

• "The functionality is very good. DD Boost and DD entry replication are used in almost all backup concepts. Those are the most used features."
  • "The multi-tier functionality can be improved, but it is quite good. They could improve replication and perhaps support additional sharing network protocols. I would also like to see better implementation of NFS Version 3, but it is already implemented and quite usable as it is."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution mostly on-premises.

What is most valuable?

The functionality is very good. DD Boost and DD entry replication are used in almost all backup concepts. Those are the most used features.

What needs improvement?

The management interfaces are quite good at the moment. The multi-tier functionality can be improved, but it is quite good. They could improve replication and perhaps support additional sharing network protocols. I would also like to see a better implementation of NFS Version 3, but it is already implemented and quite usable as it is.

We've had experience with Data Domain for the last eight years.

It is stable to use.

The scalability depends on the licensing model, but it is quite good.

Usually, my direct customer is an enterprise, but we also have customers in the small and mid-range sectors. The hardware platform is cost intense, so for small and mid-range, this product is not the best choice.

The support for the DDB is about eight out of ten.

The initial setup was straightforward. You need to have experience in handling storage platforms, but from that point of view it's quite straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product. I would rate it as nine of ten, overall.

Find out what your peers are saying about Dell EMC, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Veritas and others in Deduplication Software. Updated: October 2021.
542,608 professionals have used our research since 2012.
StevenJamal
Enterprise Engineer at Computech Limited
Reseller
A stable, scalable solution with great backup features

What is most valuable?

The backup aspect of the solution is its most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to have a more transparent environment. The solution needs to be more user-friendly for the end-users.

I've been using the solution for one to two years.

The solution is extremely stable.

Scalability is good. I understand the concept, so for me, it's easy. Most of our clients are medium sizes enterprises in the financial sector.

Technical support is okay. We've only had limited interactions with them.

The initial setup…

What is most valuable?

The backup aspect of the solution is its most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to have a more transparent environment.

The solution needs to be more user-friendly for the end-users.

I've been using the solution for one to two years.

The solution is extremely stable.

Technical support is okay. We've only had limited interactions with them.

The initial setup can be a bit complex. It depends on the parameters of the implementation.

What other advice do I have?

We're a partner, we're not end-users of the solution itself.

I would recommend the solution because it has a very good integration process.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

MagedElgamal
System Engineer at Seal Software
Easy to install, improves our customer's backup speed, and reduces storage space

• "The most valuable feature is the support for plug-ins."
  • "There are some limitations where you cannot use it as a shared server or as a file server, it is limited for the only backup."

What is our primary use case?

As a cloud-based solution, customers buy cloud applications like Veeam or Backup X6, and they need storage to put data on the cloud. We recommend Data Domain to them and we implement a solution using Data Domain Boost with their backup solution.

I implement and troubleshoot for the customers.

In the last six months, the deployment model we were using is on-premises. I have only deployed on the cloud once, and it's easy for our customers. It's a pleasure to do.

All of my experience is on-premises.

How has it helped my organization?

An example of how this solution can improve an organization would be with one of our customers who has a data exchange server. Every backup takes two or three and a half-hundred gigabytes of storage.

When the customer was using another backup solution, QNAP, it was taking seven hours to perform a full backup. When we used Data Domain on his environment, we found that the time was reduced to two hours and thirty minutes.

Also, with Data Domain we found that the data was compressed by thirty times. For example, with the other backup solution, the data was three thousand gigabytes, whereas in Data Domain it would be one thousand gigabytes.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the support for plug-ins. For example, when backing up a server through data domain, it can take a long time. However, when you are using Boost, you just install a plug-in on the target server and the backup job is scheduled.

What needs improvement?

There are some limitations where you cannot use it as a shared server or as a file server, it is limited for the only backup.

We have customers asking for a file server that can be used to share data with their employees, with an organization, or to use it on VMware as a storage unit, but this solution is not suitable.

When we receive requests like this from the customers we recommend building EMC Unity, it's a full package, you can backup, you can share and you can use it as a LAN in your virtualization environment.

I have been using this solution for ten months.

This solution is stable.

This solution is scalable, but it's expensive.

The initial setup was easy. If you work with the manual and follow it step-by-step, it is easy and straightforward.

It takes about forty minutes to install the application and install the Data Domain on-premises in the data center.

The cost is monthly.

What other advice do I have?

There are good and bad points to having this solution only for backup.

It's good to protect your data from attacks such as ransomware. You only use the storage for backups, so you don't have to share folders.

The main difference between EMC Data Domain and EMC Data Domain Boost is that the Boost is an add-on you install that allows you to transfer the backup job quickly.

After performing a full backup, you would schedule it to run every week, and instead of it doing a full backup of all of the data, Data Domain Boost will back up only the data that has been added or that is different from the original data.

Pam Hartanto
Information Systems and IT Manager at Chiyoda Almana Engineering LLC
A High performance solution with good deduplication and technical support

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is deduplication."
  • "This product is expensive compared to other storage so the price can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is backup. We have an on-premises deployment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is deduplication. It's very good.

What needs improvement?

The restore and deduplication features are good, but they can be further improved.

I have been using this solution since 2012.

This solution is very stable. It doesn't crash and there are no errors.

The scalability is not good because if we want to upgrade then we need to purchase a higher version. We have approximately seven hundred and fifty employees, and all of their data is backed up.

We have not had any trouble with technical support. Sometimes we do not fully understand our problem, then people from technical support arrive and replace the hard disk. It's very good because you have the monitoring.

Prior to this solution, we used a tape backup. We switched because this solution is easier and you don't need a tape. Backing up files is very, very fast.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward. It's easy.

We purchased the box and then performed the implementation ourselves. We always have a technical meeting before anything is disconnected, and then deploy after that.

The price of this solution is very high.

What other advice do I have?

This is definitely a solution that I recommend. It is good, although it is very expensive.

Abderahim Raissi
Pre Sales Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Integrates well with support for multiple protocols

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is that it can support both the CIFS and NFS protocols simultaneously."
  • "There are limitations when using the VTL protocol in extreme cases."

What is our primary use case?

I am a solution engineer, and I help customers design and implement their solutions and architectures. I propose technologies, such as Dell EMC. I also assist the sales consultants with technical questions from customers.

This solution, Data Domain Boost, works with Data Domain to improve the backup speed. For example, we propose this solution for customers who need to back up their VR LAN quickly.

The best use case for this solution is a client that has a LAN architecture backup with a lot of data. It may include databases like Oracle and MSSQL

Recently, we integrated a Data Domain 9300 for a financial institution in Morocco that can back up both VTL and VMware virtual workloads. There is replication between two sites and it is integrated with NetBackup and TSM. So, in this project we used DD Boost to backup all VMware workload and the resuslt is the client is satisfied.

How has it helped my organization?

Dell EMC Data Domain Boost is a software that provides an advanced integration with enterprise applications and Data Domain Systems. It gives the customer more advantages in terms of backup speed and performance.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is, for me, that it enables client-side deduplication so only the unique data segments are sent to Data Domain System, which provides more backup speed and preformance.

What needs improvement?

During my experience with Data Domain selling and basing on customers feedback, there is really no limitations regarding Data Domain Boost (DD Boost).

In fact, I've been selling it, as a pre-sales, to my clients for three years.

In my opinion, this solution is stable. None of our clients have a problem in this regard.

We scale this product by adding licenses, which are related to capacity.

We have clients of all sizes including small, medium, and enterprise businesses.

Technical support for this solution is good, and we haven't had any problems with them. They have a good support team who will discuss any problem. If we have a support ticket then the work is done, without a problem.

Before my selling of DataDomain to my Customers, they have other solutions at the backup infrastructure. Besides, among all DataDomain Advantages, Deduplication and DD Boost were the most which encouraged the customers to change/upgrade their backup existant solutions.

The initial setup of this solution varies on a case-by-case basis. For example, we had the same client but with a different architecture or another workload, and there were a lot of  problems on the side of client existant infrastructure. However, in general, there is no difficulty when installing this solution.

There are a lot of products in the market for backup solutions. Data Domain has a lot of advantages, which is why my clients choose this solution.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I recommend without any doubt.

One of my clients had trouble with sizing and architecture because initially, he had little data and a small budget. When the size of his business increased he wanted to keep the same model, but it was not possible because each model has limitations.

All of the features are really good and respond well to business and client needs. All of my clients are satisfied and have not asked for any additional features.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

CR
Storage Specialist at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
Compresses our data storage and is user-friendly and easy to maintain

• "I like the tool set, it's easy to work on and the support is brilliant."
  • "It would be nice if they could have the same tool set right from the smallest to the biggest modules, but being specific frame dependent."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to compress our data storage and as a data backup environment. We only store our data for two weeks, so in a two-week period, for the volume of data as well as our mixed types of data, we get the best cost per terabyte stored on Data Domain.

What is most valuable?

The features I find most valuable is the ease of installation and the ease of maintenance, more than the functionality. I like the toolset, it's easy to work on and the support is brilliant.

What needs improvement?

My experience is that the fact that they give you certain toolsets based on certain modules only makes it difficult for us to save costs due to upgrading. So it would be nice if they could have the same toolset right from the smallest to the biggest modules, but being specific frame-dependent. The toolset itself does whatever I currently want.

I have been using this solution for longer than five years now.

The solution is very stable and I haven't had any issues with that so far.

I can't say that we had any issues in terms of either performance or capacity. This solution transports data between the client and the Data Domain. I would obviously like to have a better way to federate the Data Domains together as one, but that's not really possible.

We have about ten people working on data protection. With Boost I've never had issues where we couldn't pump or dump data though in time, or that there were reliability issues, so I think the solution is scalable.

The technical support is one of the biggest reasons for choosing EMC products, or staying with them. There was a slight wobble when Dell got into the picture, but I think they've sorted that out now, so now we are happy again.

The initial setup was straightforward. Our installation was done by a company that manages our servers for us.

What other advice do I have?

I will definitely recommend this solution, but I obviously don't know other people's environment. I would say that you should write down what your criteria is, what you want, and then do a proper test with all the vendors. Most often people promise you things, and once you start digging into it, it is not there. Like Huawei - many of the functions we needed, they just don't have, so they rely on tools from other vendors to give you that functionality. So I would obviously recommend it as a solution, because I know it works.

In the future I would like to be able to pump data straight into Amazon S3 Bucket. EMC has tools to pump it into the ECS array, and then it's free of charge. But if I pump it into Amazon S3, I have to pay. So, I would like to be able to do it into Amazon, into a different vendor's S3 Bucket, without having the vendor lock-in.

On a scale from one to ten, I rate this solution a 8.5.

AA
Senior Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
An extremely efficient solution with good stability and an easy initial setup

• "Data Domain Boost has a unique protocol. I don't think with other vendors you get the same efficiency. I work with some the other products, but this solution has amazing efficiency in comparison."
  • "The solution needs a better gateway between the on-premises and cloud deployment models. We have to work around it or find a third party to assist."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it as a solution for saving costs and capacity.

What is most valuable?

Data Domain Boost has a unique protocol. I don't think with other vendors you get the same efficiency. I work with some the other products but this solution has amazing efficiency in comparison.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs better performance and a more user-friendly operating system.

The solution needs a better gateway between the on-premises and cloud deployment models. We have to work around it or find a third party to assist.

The pricing is high, compared to the competition.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The solution is very stable.

The solution is scalable for us right now. There is a limitation number on it, but for different architecture.

We have about 500 users.

Technical support is very, very good. I'm satisfied with the level of service we receive form them.

I'm currently using two solutions: Veritas and Data Domain. Data Domain is more efficient for me and it's really scalable.

The initial setup was straightforward. It was very easy.

We implemented the solution ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I strongly recommend any organization to use it. I'm doing self study once a week or on a monthly basis to learn more about the product, so I'm quite familiar with it.

I would rate the solution ten out of ten.

EH
Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
A scalable solution that offers good data backup capabilities and is easy to manage

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution primarily for data backup.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to manage. That is its most valuable feature. The solution gives great backup performance.

What needs improvement?

It should be expanded to include other databases and software. It should also be made easier to restore.

I've been using the solution for two to three years.

The solution is very stable.

The solution is very scalable. It's easy to scale if you need to. We have about two or three licenses.

Technical support is good. Overall we've been…

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution primarily for data backup.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to manage. That is its most valuable feature.

The solution gives great backup performance.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for two to three years.

The solution is very stable.

Technical support is good. Overall we've been satisfied with their service.

The initial setup is easy.

We had a consultant help us with the implementation. We were satisfied with the work they provided.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I would recommend the product. I'd rate it eight out of ten as I think there are still some elements that need improvement.

SJ
Trainer, storage consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A reliable backup solution that scales with your throughput

• "Overall, scalability is great."
  • "This solution should cover more platforms, and there should be more product coverage."

What is our primary use case?

We are an integrator and this is one of the solutions that we supply to our customers. I do some of the training on this solution for our customers, as well, so I use it personally in that regard.

This is primarily used as a backup solution.

What needs improvement?

I think that the GUI should be improved because sometimes, not everything is properly displayed.

I would like to see better Fibre Channel support.

DDBoost is one of the most important features of the Data Domain appliance. The acronym stands for Data Domain Bandwidth Optimized OST, which gives the ability to distribute backup job tasks between DD and the host which writes to DD. This is called DSP - Distributed Segment Processing which is used during the backup process.

Another part of DDBoost, Clone Controlled Replication aka File Managed Replication, which is used on backup system site to easily replicate DDBoost created backup pieces of such. Lack of this functionality is, in my opinion, big limitation. When you consult interoperability matrices you will find (as an example of not full coverage)

1. No DDBoost support for Spectrum Space (former Tivoli Storage Manager) which claims market share higher than 15%

2. No support for Managed File Replication for Veeam Backup & Replication DD Boost over FC - which is one of the backup software leaders

The above are the most obvious examples on which I based my RFE to broaden the coverage.

FC improvements – I’d like to run DD replication over FC; if it would be possible then using DDBoost over FC and Replication over FC will remove the necessity for any data movement over IP. This solution would give us a clear separation between transport protocols used for management purposes (TCP) and those used for backup data transfer (FC).

I have been using this solution for more than seven years.

In my opinion, the stability is very good.

Scalability depends on the model that you have. For each model, you have a limited number of terabytes per hours. It provides the option to scale as you need it. Overall, scalability is great.

I have never needed to contact technical support personally.

I have not personally performed a setup for a system that was going into production. For the environment that I was using, the initial setup was very simple.

For the environment that I tried, I performed the implementation myself.

What other advice do I have?

My suggestion for anybody who is implementing this solution is to use the Fibre Channel, if possible. If not, then try to use it over IP. If you cannot use either then there are other options, but the Fibre Channel is preferred. It gives you not only an increased speed but also some additional features.

The biggest lesson that I have learned when working with this solution is that you can always do something better. I have been in the backup industry for more than twenty years, and there have been times when I was bored with the products. What I have found is that you can always expect to see something new, and something better.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.