Dell EMC ECS OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dell EMC ECS is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top File and Object Storage tools. It is most often compared to Amazon AWS: Dell EMC ECS vs Amazon AWS

What is Dell EMC ECS?

Dell EMC Elactic Cloud Storage (ECS) provides a complete software-defined object storage platform designed for today's cloud-scale storage requirements. ECS provides the simplicity and low cost benefits of the public cloud without the risk, compliance, and data sovereignty concerns. ECS benefits include:

• Cloud-scale Economics: 60% TCO savings versus public cloud services.
  • Simplicity & Scale: Single global namespace, unlimited apps, users and files.
  • Universal Accessibility: Support for object, file, and HDFS all on a single platform.
  • Faster App Development: API accessible storage and strong consistency accelerates cloud apps & analytics.
  • Turnkey Cloud: Multi-tenancy, self-service access and metering capabilities.

Dell EMC ECS is also known as EMC ECS, Dell EMC Elastic Cloud Storage, EMC Elastic Cloud Storage.

Download the File and Object Storage Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Dell EMC ECS Customers

Atos

Dell EMC ECS Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dell EMC ECS pricing:
  • "Dell EMC ECS is too expensive."
  • "We are not paying for the license at this stage."

Dell EMC ECS Reviews

TR
System Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
A reliable all-in-one solution with guaranteed performance

• "What I like best about this product is that it is a complete solution, both hardware, and software, by the same vendor."
  • "Technical support needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

This is a cloud-based object storage platform.

What is most valuable?

What I like best about this product is that it is a complete solution, both hardware, and software, by the same vendor. There are many object storage systems that are sold as a software solution, only. At the same time, some vendors only sell the hardware. With this product, they are combined to make a complete solution.

What needs improvement?

Technical support needs to be improved.

I have been using EMC Elastic Cloud Storage for about a year and a half.

This is a stable solution. In a traditional storage system, the more years that you use it, the more problems you can expect to have. With EMC Elastic Cloud Storage, we haven't experienced any such problems.

By comparison, we have experience with EMC Isilon network-attached storage, and after two or three years, you can expect to have hard drive failures and other hardware problems. This doesn't necessarily make the system unstable but there will be performance-related issues that come about because data is being rebalanced between drives.

This product is definitely scalable. We have a few hundred people who are connected to services that use this storage system. Less than ten of them are administrators and support staff, whereas the remainder is end-users.

Generally speaking, there have been some issues with support because Dell and EMC are still in the merging stage. Sometimes, after you find a solution to the problem you are trying to solve, the web page changes because they are still in the process of integrating everything. As a result, sometimes you spend a long time searching for the information that you need to resolve issues.

Another issue with technical support, in particular when it is being handled from India, is the difference in time. If you want to set up a Webex meeting with somebody from technical support then it is often not possible because of the difference in time.

I have experience with mixed-vendor solutions. For example, with Cisco, they sell the S-Series Storage Servers and you can use this hardware with software from another vendor. However, with a multivendor system, you can have trouble with interoperability between hardware and software.

The other problem with a multivendor solution is that you don't have packages that are tested for performance, so you don't know what to expect. In this cloud-based configuration, you have a product that is fully tested. Even if the performance is less than you hoped then you at least know what to expect in advance of implementing it. When we sell it to our customers, they are fully aware of what they are buying.

With a Cisco solution, you have more control over what you are purchasing. You can choose the amount of memory and cache, for example. The problem is that you aren't sure how much processing power you will need to get the results that you want. This is because they do not test the specific hardware and software bundle. With EMC, you have a tool that is guaranteed to work as marketed.

The initial setup is relatively easy. You have to take care to do it properly but overall, it is fine. It should take a few hours to deploy.

What other advice do I have?

There are many ways to make products better, although, for the purpose that our customers are using this solution, you can't do it better. It is a product that I recommend.

LL
Product Manager at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Competitive and stable, but they need better support and pricing

• "This product is very competitive."
  • "In Taiwan, they don't have professional technical support."

What is our primary use case?

We create a service for our customers to access EMC Storage.

We use this product for an on-premises server to access the EMC storage. We locate our EMC in our IDC center, and we provide our enterprise customers access to it.

We sell this service, space, and AWS SAN storage.

What is most valuable?

This product is very competitive. It's a good product.

What needs improvement?

In Taiwan, they don't have professional technical support. They don't have many channels or distributions to provide professional services.

They only provide preventative services for themselves. It is very difficult for us to resell this service to our enterprise customers because EMC doesn't have many resources. This is an area that needs to be improved.

Our customers need EMC for their Big Data services.

This product is very competitive but the professional services need to be improved.

Also, the price could be reduced. We need more marketing activity in Taiwan, as it would be very helpful in trying to resell this product.

I have been selling the latest version of this solution for six months.

It's a very stable storage solution.

Because we wanted to provide our enterprise customers with a multi-tenancy service, but they don't have the multi-tenancy architecture, they can only use it on-premises at one company. We contacted Dell EMC ECS and we created a scenario for the mechanics to build out a multi-tenancy service.

This is something that was not originally provided with Dell EMC ECS.

Dell has a very poor support channel in Taiwan. They sell the models directly to our enterprise customers. They don't have a very good vendor support system.

We need to start it ourselves, then we can provide it to our enterprise customers.

Dell EMC ECS is too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We plan to continue selling this solution, but we need them to support it on more than just a case by case basis because it takes too long.

It depends on the Dell EMC resources but we cannot rely on their distributors for help. It's not a good enough business model.

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it. That said, there are a few improvements needed, including that it could be cheaper.

I would rate this product a seven out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Dell EMC, NetApp, Red Hat and others in File and Object Storage. Updated: September 2021.
542,608 professionals have used our research since 2012.
WK
IT Infrastructure Engineer at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
Extremely stable with a straightforward setup and fairly good pricing

• "The stability is the most valuable aspect of the solution."
  • "The solution needs to provide better integration between this solution and all other kinds of systems."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this as a storage solution. My system is based on it.

What is most valuable?

The stability is the most valuable aspect of the solution.

The pricing, at least compared to HP, is quite good.

What needs improvement?

I've been using this solution for 12 years at this point. It's been more than a decade.

The stability is extremely good. It's one of its selling points. We don't have bugs or glitches. It doesn't freeze. It's completely reliable.

The scalability is quite good. However, in order to scale, we need to buy a new version in order to do so. Other than that, it's pretty good.

Our whole system is on this storage, therefore all of our ministry users can use the system.

Although we have no plans to increase usage right now, we will in the future.

We did use a different solution previously. It was an HP product. The solution was older and we didn't see a new version that met our needs, so we switched over to Dell, which had a very good reputation and price.

The solution's initial setup is not complex. It's very straightforward.

Our deployment was more than six years ago, however, from what I can recall, it took about two weeks to one month from beginning to end.

You only need two to three people for deployment and maintenance.

We had a reseller in our country that assisted us in the implementation process.

The pricing on the solution is pretty good. We pay for licensing on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with Dell. We're using the version before Unity. I'm not sure the name of it.

I'd recommend the solution. I'd rate it nine out of ten overall.

PC
Cybersecurity Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
100% stable, scalable, easy to deploy, and helpful support

What is our primary use case?

We are using it mainly for storage. We have its latest version.

What is most valuable?

It is 100% stable. It is also scalable.

What needs improvement?

Its security can be improved.

I have been using this solution since they took over EMC.

It is 100% stable.

It is scalable. We have approximately 5,600 users.

I have always found Dell very helpful.

What is our primary use case?

We are using it mainly for storage. We have its latest version.

What is most valuable?

It is 100% stable. It is also scalable.

What needs improvement?

Its security can be improved.

I have been using this solution since they took over EMC.

It is 100% stable.

It is scalable. We have approximately 5,600 users.

I have always found Dell very helpful.

Its installation is fine. The deployment duration varies based on the size and the number of deployments sites, but it has been pretty straightforward for me. Dell always provided good assistance.

I installed it myself. We have a team of ten for deployment and maintenance.

We are not paying for the license at this stage.

What other advice do I have?

I am pretty happy with this product. We plan to keep using it. It is a good product.

I would rate Dell EMC ECS a nine out of ten.