Dell EMC Integrated Data Protection Appliance OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dell EMC Integrated Data Protection Appliance is #45 ranked solution in best Backup and Recovery Software. IT Central Station users give Dell EMC Integrated Data Protection Appliance an average rating of 8 out of 10. Dell EMC Integrated Data Protection Appliance is most commonly compared to Veeam Backup & Replication:Dell EMC Integrated Data Protection Appliance vs Veeam Backup & Replication. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.
What is Dell EMC Integrated Data Protection Appliance?

The Integrated Data Protection Appliance (IDPA) delivers simply powerful backup and recovery for data everywhere in a single appliance. Starting at 8TB, IDPAs offers complete backup, replication, recovery, deduplication, instant access, and restore, search and analytics and tight VMware integration — plus, cloud readiness with disaster recovery and long-term retention to the cloud. All in all, it’s a powerful enterprise data protection solution for organizations of all sizes at a low cost-to-protect.

Dell EMC Integrated Data Protection Appliance was previously known as Dell EMC IDPA, Dell IDPA, EMC IDPA.

Dell EMC Integrated Data Protection Appliance Buyer's Guide

Download the Dell EMC Integrated Data Protection Appliance Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Dell EMC Integrated Data Protection Appliance Customers

Under Armour, Christian Brothers University, Presidio

Dell EMC Integrated Data Protection Appliance Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dell EMC Integrated Data Protection Appliance pricing:
  • "The licensing is billed on a monthly basis. Dell is bundled so that when you order IDPA, you get everything together with the license."

Dell EMC Integrated Data Protection Appliance Reviews

MT
Data Protection Specialist at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Stable, easy to upgrade, has good DPS search included, and has good reporting

• "It is very simple to perform an upgrade of the system and the environment."
  • "The two-factor authentication is missing from Dell products."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to replace existing backups for Avamar and Data Domain that have been integrated and set up earlier.

The primary use case is backup and restoration.

What is most valuable?

The upgrade process is a single upgrade. You don't have to upgrade Avamar Data Domain separately for DTA. These products get upgraded automatically with one upgrade.

It is very simple to perform an upgrade of the system and the environment.

DPA is built-in, and you have other features such as the DPA search. DPS search is a pretty good feature.

The DPC, which is data protection central, is a single pane of glass view of the environment. This is a new feature and it is helpful.

What needs improvement?

The biggest issue is with the SSO, which is missing. With other products, you login into a single user and have access to everything. DPC is not integrated.

You can log into it but you have to log into Avamar and Data Domain separately. It's not really a single sign-on to the entire environment in one shot.

I would like to see it fully integrated. They need to bring in the SSO so that you can log in once to the IDPA and should be able to access everything through a single user. You shouldn't have to re-authenticate to each of its components. This is a problem.

They have multiple logins. They could have made it easier by using SSO.

Another area that is missing is the two-factor authentication. The two-factor authentication is missing from Dell products.

They don't have the ability to integrate with Google Authenticator, Microsoft Authenticator, or Okta. There is no way of doing two-factor authentication.

They need SSO with role-based access. You will have role-based access control to log in, then you should be able to define that login. You can define what access levels it has to the various components. For example, I log in with one user, I should be able to say only have one backup operator, access to Avamar or Data Domain. I can have admin access, search, or have admin, your advisor, the DPA, or I can have normal monitoring of user access. I should be able to define that in a central location.

I have been working with Dell EMC Integrated Data Protection Appliance for one year.

It's more stable because everything is managed through one process.

It is scalable to a certain extent. There are some limitations. If you have a specific model then you have to upgrade to a higher one.

You can add another shelf, but once you have reached your limit, you have to go with a new model. You can't go on increasing it, you will have to invest in higher models of the IDPA appliances based on capacity.

The head IT team is using this solution and they support the IDPA. It's a team of 10 to 15 people. Our team is made up of managers, admins, engineers, and developers.

Depending on our customers' needs, we will increase the usage. It depends on the requirements for more capacity.

Our clients have already sized it for three to five years.

The installation is done by Dell. They take it as a project and complete it. It is not done by the current customer.

Dell offers a professional service to do it.

When you purchase a new appliance from Dell, you will get an IDPA, but you will no longer get a separate Avamar Appliance.

What other advice do I have?

Avamar is the brain, but we have Data Domain and you have the latest versions. Both are integrated closely.

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

Dell themselves will not sell to you individually. It depends on your environment. They are moving to IDPA everywhere.

In summary, this product is very stable, has the best of Avamar Data Domain, and has good reporting.

I would rate Dell EMC Integrated Data Protection Appliance a nine out of ten.

BH
Enterprise Solutions Architect at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
Good for backing up Windows and Linux systems but doesn't do well with databases

• "It backs up our Windows systems and our Linux systems and everything."
  • "After resizing and compression, the system continuously runs out of space. Dell EMC doesn't do automatic cleanup or other things, so we constantly have to manually go in there or work with Dell support on this. The solution has not been working as advertised."

What is our primary use case?

Right now, we are using it for traditional backup purposes. It's deployed on-premise. We do have an option to use 200 terabytes in the cloud, but it's not exactly what they told us it would be for a cloud-based solution.

What is most valuable?

We bought Dell IDPA to compress our backups.

What needs improvement?

After resizing and compression, the system continuously runs out of space. Dell EMC doesn't do automatic cleanup or other things, so we constantly have to manually go in there or work with Dell support on this. The solution has not been working as advertised.

I've been using Dell IDPA since the tail end of 2019, so going on two years.

We haven't had to restore anything, so IDPA has been pretty stable.

It takes a week for Dell's frontline support to find a solution or we have to escalate it with somebody above them.

We were using IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM). Well, with Tivoli, when we recycled and retired backups—if we claimed the space—we didn't run into any capacity issues. But it took longer to backup and restore. We haven't had to restore with the IDPA, so we can't compare the two. So, we're pretty much leaning heavily on the recovery point in our VxRail environment instead of taking a chance with restoring a full VM from IDPA.

We worked with the Dell professional services team, and there were a couple of delays getting things set up. For starters, there were a few specific components we needed that weren't included, and they didn't tell us that, so we had to wait weeks for parts to be shipped in. After we got everything we needed, their professional services set everything up, so it was pretty straightforward from there. However, it hasn't worked as advertised since.

We're on our second year of a three-year license.  When our third year is up, we're going to choose another solution.

What other advice do I have?

Based on our experience, I'd give Dell IDPA a five out of 10. Our experience with it so far has been underwhelming. We implemented the solution for a specific purpose, and it hasn't lived up to our expectations. I'm sure it's a good solution. It backs up our Windows systems and our Linux systems and everything. However, it doesn't do well with databases, no matter what they claim. That's where we're having a capacity issue. Every time we back up our databases, we're running out of space. And then, we have to work out work with support, which takes too long. Dell's support is a big reason for the low score. It has been completely unsatisfactory. We've always had to escalate that support to get traction.

If you're considering Dell IDPA, work with your Dell rep and make sure that the features you want are not an add-on. Get everything you need for your solution because whenever we had an issue, they told us we should've bought this or that. This solution has been piecemeal. Every time we're trying to solve a problem, their answer is to buy another product or add-on.

Learn what your peers think about Dell EMC Integrated Data Protection Appliance. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,382 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AdekunleAjayi
Technical Sales Specialist at CWG PLC
Good technical support and a commendable deduplication rate

• "The most valuable feature is the deduplication rate."
  • "The price could be lowered slightly, to make it more competitive."

What is our primary use case?

We are system integrators and this is one of the solutions that we provide to our clients.

This appliance allows you to expand into the cloud with a provider like AWS or Azure. It can provide the capability for a third-level backup.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the deduplication rate. It is high and quite commendable.

This product is very easy to deploy. It is integrated and you don't have to buy software then find hardware to work with it because it is an all-in-one solution.

What needs improvement?

In general, there is no perfect solution and there is always room for improvement.

The price could be lowered slightly, to make it more competitive.

I have been working with the Integrated Data Protection Appliance for about two years.

Our customers are satisfied with the stability, which is why they are still using the product. We have not heard back about any issues with the system not working well.

It is easy to scale, although there may be some limitations at the end of the day.

I have been in touch with Dell EMC's technical support a couple of times and they are fantastic. They are available from the day of your installation and can help you to check any issue that is happening. There are always people available to help with support.

In Nigeria, they have engineers available in case it is not possible to solve the problem remotely.

This appliance is physical, so it is installed on-site.

The deployment takes three to four hours, after which everything will be set up. Prior to purchasing the hardware, you will have the proper sizing of the environment.

We deploy this solution for our customers. Beyond this, we do not administer their infrastructure.

This solution is slightly more expensive than some of the competitors.

One of the competing solutions is the Veritas NetBackup Appliance. It is also an integrated solution and there is not too much difference between them. The last time I checked, the Veritas appliance was a little bit cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is to compare products from Veritas, Commvault, IBM, and Dell EMC. Personally, I feel that this is a robust solution and one that I can always recommend.

That said, there is no perfect solution. No matter how robust it is, all competitors have an edge in some way. It could be price, availability, simplicity, the level of support, or something else.

Hybrid Cloud
Download our free Dell EMC Integrated Data Protection Appliance Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.