SA
Snr. Systems Architect at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Reseller
Stable but tricky to use

• "If it's set up the right way, it's a stable product."
  • "The user interface has to be improved"

What is our primary use case?

We use NetWorker for login support for SAP and VMware. I handle all maintenance-related issues on my own.

What needs improvement?

There's a lot of room for improvement. The user interface has to be improved.

Sometimes it duplicates jobs. Overall, it's a strong legacy product but there's still a lot of room for improvement.

We have to perform the very basic client registration process twice. We have to do it on the client-side and the NetWorker server-side. Sometimes just re-installing a client can be a nightmare.

Also, the layout can be a bit scattered. It's difficult to learn for a new newcomer. If you work with Linux clients, if you've got another non-Windows system, it's a little bit tough — a little complex.

When it comes to the monitoring of backups, or if you want to grab a certain log, it's not as intuitive as other solutions. For example, if you want to find a backup for a certain client, it's not straightforward. With other solutions, like Avamar, this process is much easier.

Scheduling is complicated. If you use the GUI to create a schedule and you auto mark all your backups SQL, it's simply not there. You have to change the view of the schedule from a calendar view to what they call a non-calendar view. Then you have to modify the attributes. You have to operate in a non-conventional way. Typically, when using the GUI, the expectation is to use the GUI for everything. With this solution, you have to go online to check the logs. You have to do some manipulations here and there — it's complex.

Recovery is also complex. You have to build what we call 'a proper workflow' for recovery.

It's quite a stable product.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. If it's set up the right way, it's a stable product. So, my advice is to make sure you set it up right the first time. As long as you've done that, it will run for ages.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of six.

AA
Modern Data Center and Cloud Engineer II at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
MSP
User-friendly interface and scales well

• "The interface is user-friendly and can be used by the end-users."
  • "It is a little buggy at times, which is the only thing that I dislike about this product."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our customers.

When we initially implemented this product, it was used for virtual machines that were running SAP. It is used for virtual machine backup, database backup, Exchange backup, and file-level backup.

What is most valuable?

The interface is user-friendly and can be used by the end-users.

What needs improvement?

It is a little buggy at times, which is the only thing that I dislike about this product. If they could clear up this issue then it would be great because, for the most part, this is a very effective product from my perspective.

I would like to see more integration with third-party products, including both tape and disk products. I want to be able to perform backups not only from Dell EMC. Having this wide level of support would be very much appreciated.

It could be easier to deploy.

This is a scalable product.

The response time in my region is a little bit slow. It will take 12 hours, or even 24 hours depending on your problem. In the past, the response time was much better. I can recall when they responded within 10 minutes, which was very fast.

Now, only premium users, or enterprise-class users, receive a fast response.

Improving the response time for regular customers would be very helpful.

I have used several versions of this solution.

The initial setup for a new deployment can be a bit complex but with experience, it's very smooth. It takes perhaps 20 minutes to install.

Our technical team can handle deployment and maintenance.

Licensing is based on the number of terabytes, so you need to purchase packages.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product and I recommend it.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Dell EMC NetWorker. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,823 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1315983
User at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Supports legacy products well but the container support is lacking

• "The support for legacy products is very good."
  • "I would like to see better support for the container systems, and we would like to see more support for image backups instead of pure file backups."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Dell EMC NetWorker for backup and restore purposes.

What is most valuable?

The support for legacy products is very good.

What needs improvement?

The components for container support such as Docker and Kubernetes need improvement. They are lacking.

Stability needs improvement. Also, scalability could be better.

I would like to see better support for the container systems, and we would like to see more support for image backups instead of pure file backups. Image backups are faster.

I have been using this solution for more than 15 years.

We are not using the latest version, we are one major version behind.

We have had some issues with stability, but we can't say for certain that it is an issue with the client's environment, or if it's an issue with the server.

It's a scalable solution.

We have approximately 5,000 clients per backup server, and we have six servers.

We have not contacted technical support. We have only had a few issues that we were able to resolve.

What other advice do I have?

For newer software, EMC has expressed that they will not be supporting NetWorker for much longer. It is my understanding that they will continue for the next two years only.

We are looking for new technology, and we are in the middle of an RFI.

I would not recommend Dell EMC NetWorker, as the product will end in a few years.

I would rate Dell EMC NetWorker a seven out of ten.

AK
Senior Infrastructure Consultant at FORUM INTERNATIONAL
Compatibility with many databases, effective deduplication, and easy to install

• "The solution offers compatibility with many types of database systems. It is one of the largest backup solutions. Additionally, it gives important information about data domain systems with deduplication."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for the solution is for backup and recovery in all environments, such as physical and virtual ones.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers compatibility with many types of database systems. It is one of the largest backup solutions. Additionally, it gives important information about data domain systems with deduplication.

I have been using the solution for approximately three years.

The solution is stable.

We have more the five customers using Dell EMC NetWorker.

The technical support was slightly impolite in my experience.

The deployment of the solution is easy when integrated with the data domain systems. Additionally, the documentation is available and it is simple to follow. It took approximately one week to deploy it.

The implementation of the solution took approximately one week and we used two engineers.

The pricing of the solution is not the cheapest compared to other similar solutions. The Networker is available as a component of the Dell EMC Data Protection Suite package and it should have the ability to be purchased separately.

The solution requires a perpetual license. We can upgrade the solution without the need to be renewed at an additional cost.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution to others, especially due to the data domain system, as the target of the backup.

I rate Dell EMC NetWorker a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    SC
    System Administrator at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    MSP
    Stable, high performance, and straightforward installation

What is our primary use case?

Dell EMC NetWorker is used for backing up and restoring data.

What is most valuable?

Dell EMC NetWorker integrates well with our domain and the performance is quite good on-premise. We receive approximately 1 terabyte within one hour.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by having more integration.

I have been using Dell EMC NetWorker for approximately 10 years.

The solution is stable.

Dell EMC NetWorker is scalable but it has some limitations. We have approximately five people using this solution in my organization.

I have been satisfied…

What is our primary use case?

Dell EMC NetWorker is used for backing up and restoring data.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by having more integration.

I have been using Dell EMC NetWorker for approximately 10 years.

The solution is stable.

Dell EMC NetWorker is scalable but it has some limitations.

We have approximately five people using this solution in my organization.

I have been satisfied with the technical support.

I have previously used Commvault.

The installation is straightforward.

We can do the implementation with two engineers and one manager.

There is a license required to use the solution and it is on an annual basis.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the on-premise deployment of the solution but not the cloud version.

I rate Dell EMC NetWorker a seven out of ten.

AM
    System Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Easy to scale, and stable, but the user interface needs some work

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for backup and recovery.

What is most valuable?

It is the best umbrella, serving the best applications.

What needs improvement?

The user interface needs some work. It would be beneficial to have a single user interface for all of the features.

I have been using Dell EMC NetWorker for 10 years.

There are no issues with the stability of this solution. Dell EMC NetWorker is a stable product.

Dell EMC NetWorker is a scalable solution.

I have contacted technical support. As a percentage, I would rate them 70%.

How was the

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for backup and recovery.

What is most valuable?

It is the best umbrella, serving the best applications.

What needs improvement?

The user interface needs some work.

It would be beneficial to have a single user interface for all of the features.

I have been using Dell EMC NetWorker for 10 years.

Dell EMC NetWorker is a scalable solution.

I have contacted technical support. As a percentage, I would rate them 70%.

The initial setup is moderate.  It's not easy but it is not complex.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Dell EMC NetWorker a seven out of ten.

Download our free Dell EMC NetWorker Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.