Dell EMC NetWorker OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dell EMC NetWorker is the #15 ranked solution in our list of best Backup and Recovery Software. It is most often compared to Dell EMC Avamar: Dell EMC NetWorker vs Dell EMC Avamar

What is Dell EMC NetWorker?
EMC NetWorker backup and recovery software centralizes, automates, and accelerates data backup and recovery across your IT environment. NetWorker delivers record-breaking performance and a wide range of data protection options to safeguard your critical business data.

Dell EMC NetWorker is also known as NetWorker.

Dell EMC NetWorker Buyer's Guide

Download the Dell EMC NetWorker Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Dell EMC NetWorker Customers
Secure-24, Riverside Health System, Shriners, Panatonni, Qatar Islamic Bank, Eurosport
Dell EMC NetWorker Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dell EMC NetWorker pricing:
  • "It is not very expensive and not very cheap."
  • "It is excellent from the pricing point of view. It is free with Data Protection Suite. Similarly, when you purchase Avamar, Dell EMC NetWorker is free with one terabyte license capacity. Its price is very competitive."
  • "If you purchase Avamar, NetWorker is free with Avamar, for one terabyte license capacity."
  • "The licensing model can be traditional licensing or capacity-based licensing."

AK
Consultant, Backup Systems at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
User-friendly GUI and fast support, but container support should be improved

What is our primary use case?

The primary use cases are file system backup, endpoint backup, and virtualization backups. We are using it with Quantum and Dell Data Domain.

• "The GUI is user-friendly."
  • "The process of upgrading versions should be improved because as it is now, you have to completely uninstall the old version first, and then install the new version."

What other advice do I have?

For a file system backup or one that is on disk or in a tape library, or for virtualization, I recommend using NetWorker. I say this because of ease of deployment, ease of use, and the user-friendly GUI. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
FA
Systems Administrator Team Leader at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Duplication ratios and compression are very high but it is not compatible with other cloud environments

What is our primary use case?

We have everything - we have Oracle databases, SQL databases, Windows platforms, Linux platforms, Exchange Servers. We have many servers along with several different storages. This is a very big group with a variety of systems.

• "There are no problems in terms of stability."
  • "They need to be compatible with the cloud because EMC NetWorker cannot compete with other products at the moment. EMC focuses only on their own cloud and do not take into consideration other cloud vendors."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Dell EMC NetWorker a seven. They need to allow EMC NetWorker to be more agile and flexible with other cloud vendors. It has to come into the cloud arena because now everybody's talking cloud. They shouldn't be only restricted to on-premise. Everybody now is talking cloud, so it has to talk the latest language in IT. You need to make it more compatible with cloud vendors. When you talk about Commvault, it is very compatible with many cloud vendors like AWS. But you do not see the same thing with EMC NetWorker. They need to work on this point. I would not…
Learn what your peers think about Dell EMC NetWorker. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
533,285 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Sufyan Khan
Head of Operations at New Horizon Computer
A solid backup software with a wide spectrum of plugins, but not easy to understand and deploy

What is our primary use case?

I am a business partner of Dell EMC. For POC purposes, we deploy and use it on-premises to get an overview of each and every feature of Dell EMC NetWorker. We use Dell EMC NetWorker for physical workload as well as virtual workload. We have deployed it on-premises as well as on the cloud for our clients. We have deployed it for a number of projects, and we are completely satisfied with it.

• "The best feature of Dell EMC NetWorker is its wide spectrum of available plugins for each and every software that you can back up, such as SAP HANA, Oracle, AXI-based machines, or Dell-based machines. Whatever you want to back up, you can do it with Dell EMC NetWorker. It is a very solid backup software. It is the oldest backup software from EMC, and it comes from Dell EMC's legacy."
  • "It is not easy to understand and deploy. It is complex in nature. Simplicity is not there. When we deploy it, the customer always needs some training from us. To make it user friendly, there should be one agent that can be used to back up every product. Dell EMC NetWorker uses so many user agents. In PowerProtect Data Manager, you can just install its VM, import that VM into vCenter, and you can start to do backups directly from vCenter. However, in Dell EMC NetWorker, you always need one server, and from that server, you need to initiate all backups. You must know the interface and the CLI. It is not user friendly. It would be a great feature if we can deploy Dell EMC NetWorker on a virtual machine, like Avamar. The additional features that are required in Dell EMC NetWorker are already available in PowerProtect Data Manager and Avamar. Therefore, there is no need to enhance Dell EMC NetWorker. It would be better if they can just rename it to PowerProtect Data Manager or Avamar."

What other advice do I have?

We have deployed this solution for many companies and for every kind of company, such as banks, logistics companies. One of the biggest companies in Pakistan is using Dell EMC NetWorker since 2015, and they are very happy with it. Another company with a big data center is using this solution since 2016, and they are also happy. There is no challenge in adapting and having this solution in your environment. Dell EMC NetWorker is a very good software for physical workloads and virtual workloads. It is known for certain features. PowerProtect Data Manager is a next-generation backup software. It…
Sufyan Khan
Head of Operations at New Horizon Computer
Feature-rich with a wide spectrum of additional plugins, but it's complex in nature and not easy to deploy

What is our primary use case?

We are service providers and provide NetWorker for our end-users, our customers. For POC purposes, we use it on our premises. Also, to have an overview of each and every kind of NetWorker. We have a number of projects that we supply Networker for and we are completely satisfied with it. We use NetWorker to serve both workload types; a physical workload, and a virtual workload.

• "When you reach out to your maximum license availability, or you exceed your license limit, NetWorker never stops doing your backups."
  • "It's complex in nature."

What other advice do I have?

NetWorker is a good product. There is no challenge in having NetWorker in your environment. Powerprotect Data manager is the next generation backup software. I would recommend using the latest backup software suite. NetWorker is also a very good backup software, for physical or virtual workloads. People know the features that NetWorker is providing. If I had to choose one, I would go with Powerprotect. It provides simplicity and ease of use. It is not complex. Second I would recommend Avamar, then it would be Networker. I would rate Dell EMC NetWorker a seven out of ten.
ST
Sr. Area Technical Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Good GUI, easy to manage and configure, but the support does not resolve issues

• "The GUI is the best feature. It's very good and easy to use."
  • "Support is definitely an area of concern because of the time it takes to resolve our issues."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution, but if asked specifically about the support then I would not recommend this solution's support. As far as performance is concerned, and the working functionality point of view, definitely it is a good solution. We have also used this solution for the last 20 years. Definitely, there is a level of comfort. However, as of late, maybe when Dell had taken over from EMC, we have noticed there is an issue as far as support is concerned. We are not getting good support, which is what we are supposed to get from them, especially since we have been long-standing…
TL
Presales Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Stable with a long life span and okay scalability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for backup systems at the company. Ther is also a secondary use case whereby if our customers have this software, we can supplement it.

• "The solution has a longer lifespan."
  • "The initial setup is complex."

What other advice do I have?

We are an authorized service provider of Dell. The company is working on a hybrid cloud solution currently. In general, I would rate the solution nine out of ten. If it offered better access to Linux or virtual systems of files based on Linux, it would be perfect. I'd advise potential new users to take a look at the product if they are looking for a long-term solution. It is not software for one year. It is likely something that can be used for five or more years. That is why it is better to really research and compare to see if it really is needed as it's a bit hard to install it. And, once…
MC
Administrative at a university with 51-200 employees
Great automatization and backup capabilities with good training available from resellers

What is our primary use case?

We use the Dell EMC NetWorker to make backups for our virtual environment. We have about 14 servers and we backup everything using NetWorker.

• "The backup capabilities and the automatization of the backup - along with the potential to make the back up on a virtual machine - are the solution's most valuable aspects."
  • "The licensing rules are difficult to navigate and understand."

What other advice do I have?

We're Dell customers. We don't have a business relationship with the company. I am the administrator of our Dell EMC NetWorker and I make backups of the servers and also run the solution. We only backup our server. We do not back up a user's workstation. The only backups are made by the administrators. From my perspective, Dell EMC NetWorker is a good solution to make backups. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. I'd rate it higher if the administrator's interface was easier to navigate.
Muhammad Sharfuddin
Solution Architect & Technical Team Lead at NDS
MSP
Precise, stable and straightforward data protection; provides a good physical and virtual environment

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to protect our numerous file servers. We have SAP HANA servers, some Oracle servers, and we have an eM server. We have several partnerships and Dell is one of them. They are very good. I'm a solution architect and technical team lead.

• "Simple, stable and straightforward."
  • "Reporting templates could be easier to understand and more comprehensive."

What other advice do I have?

For anyone planning to implement this solution, it's essential to read the documentation, otherwise you will face a few issues. If you deploy having done all the reading, you won't have any problems. I believe that if something works as expected, it deserves a 10. In my case, it is working as per expectations so I don't have any complaints. I would therefore rate this solution a 10 out of 10.
See 13 more Dell EMC NetWorker Reviews
Download our free Dell EMC NetWorker Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.