Dell EMC NetWorker OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dell EMC NetWorker is #13 ranked solution in best Backup and Recovery Software. IT Central Station users give Dell EMC NetWorker an average rating of 8 out of 10. Dell EMC NetWorker is most commonly compared to Dell EMC Avamar:Dell EMC NetWorker vs Dell EMC Avamar. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 32% of all views.
What is Dell EMC NetWorker?
EMC NetWorker backup and recovery software centralizes, automates, and accelerates data backup and recovery across your IT environment. NetWorker delivers record-breaking performance and a wide range of data protection options to safeguard your critical business data.

Dell EMC NetWorker was previously known as NetWorker.

Dell EMC NetWorker Buyer's Guide

Download the Dell EMC NetWorker Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2021

Dell EMC NetWorker Customers
Secure-24, Riverside Health System, Shriners, Panatonni, Qatar Islamic Bank, Eurosport
Dell EMC NetWorker Video

Archived Dell EMC NetWorker Reviews (more than two years old)

OI
Client Infrastructure Technical Specialist at Clicks
Has good technical support and is fairly priced

• "I feel that it is a good product."
  • "There are too many reboots and the software requires constant updating."

What needs improvement?

I feel that it is a good product. However, if its setup is configured correctly, it will work well but if it's not, it's a total disaster. I think that goes for any backup product. Coming into architectural design thinking, for example, we introduced a backup network. This has helped speed up our backup time and the time it took Windows to backup. That has made a huge difference without impacting reduction systems elsewhere that connects into the same systems. So the main thing would be to optimize scheduling and do the setup correctly, then it will improve the backup features.

I have been working on this solution since I joined our company three years ago.

There are too many reboots and the software requires constant updating - just like Windows. I don't like that so I feel that it isn't very stable.

The technical support from EMC is 10 out of 10. I am really impressed by it.

The pricing of this solution is very good.

What other advice do I have?

I will rate this solution an eight out of ten, based on my knowledge and experience on it. In the next version, I would like it if Dell EMC could back up IBM. They call it IBMi, or the A400 system. That would be awesome for the networker. My advice to others would be that they should be very specific who they use to set up the software and make sure they check references for successful installations.

EB
Lead Offering Solution Architect Cloud and Workload with 10,001+ employees
A straightforward setup, but the solution needs better automation

• "The backup software has been much faster since we've deployed the solution."
  • "I haven't had a good experience with technical support. It takes them a very long time to resolve issues."

How has it helped my organization?

The backup software has been much faster since we've deployed the solution.

What needs improvement?

The system needs better integration with other toolsets.

Support could be improved. EMC also needs to offer more information for users online.

The solution needs more automation and more reporting, so we don't need to check everything manually.

I've been using the solution for six months.

We use the solution every day, for all of our backups. We don't plan to increase usage, but we do use it extensively right now.

I haven't had a good experience with technical support. It takes them a very long time to resolve issues.

We used to use HP DataProtector. It took too much effort to manage it, which is why we switched.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

We did the implementation ourselves.

It's approximate, but I believe we pay around $20-30,000 a month in licensing.

We did not evaluate other option before choosing this solution.

What other advice do I have?

We use the private cloud deployment model of the solution.

Networker is a fine solution, but there are other more modern automated solutions on the market. We are considering changing to one of those. They take up fewer resources, which is why we are considering switching. I believe this solution is better than Data Protector, but there's another one, Rubrik, that saves a lot of time and effort.

We should have involved EMC with the implementation because it was difficult. I would recommend others consider this lesson that we learned from our attempt.

I would rate the solution seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Dell EMC NetWorker. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2021.
554,676 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user882309
Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A solution that minimizes recovery time with good stability

• "The solution has minimized the recovery time objective, and the recovery point objective, the RTO and RPO. Most customers are looking for to minimize downtime. The solution has helped ensure this."
  • "It's not easy to integrate. We have to read a lot of documentation in order to configure the solution."

What is our primary use case?

Most customers are integrated with the hypervisor environment. It's a mix between VMware and Hyper-V. The database and integration with the database is SQL and it has since changed to Oracle. This is mostly what we are using to unify everything.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has minimized the recovery time objective, and the recovery point objective, the RTO and RPO. Most customers are looking to minimize downtime. The solution has helped ensure this.

What is most valuable?

The backup and configuration for the virtual environment have been the most valuable features, especially with VMware.

What needs improvement?

The operating system could be improved. The interface could also be much easier.

I've been using the solution for 12 years.

The stability is very nice.

The solution has very good scalability.

Technical support is good, but it depends on the time zone. I've noticed that some areas offer better support than others.

The initial setup isn't straightforward or complex. It's somewhere in between. Deployment took about two weeks.

I did the implementation myself.

The pricing is mid-range. It's not the cheapest, but it's not too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment model.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

It's not easy to integrate. We have to read a lot of documentation in order to configure the solution.

MM
System Engineer / Backup Admin at a government with 10,001+ employees
Good technical support in our Hyper-V environment

• "Technical support for this solution is very good."
  • "We are able to do direct backups, but analyzing the logs is not straightforward."

What is our primary use case?

We have a Hyper-V installation, with a mixed Linux environment.

We have an on-premises deployment.

What needs improvement?

Configuration for Hyper-V needs to be improved. Our original configuration did not work because of an issue that differed between versions.

We are able to do direct backups, but analyzing the logs is not straightforward. There are a lot of things that have to be done from the client-side in order to locate and identify errors. This should be made easier.

This solution should support part-loaded data.

I would like to see support for the enactment of errors, where the error should be very clear-mannered, on board, with NMC control only. When some backups fail, we investigate all of the possibilities and sometimes have to enter the admin from the client-side. We then have to render the log and investigate that. If it is a Microsoft issue, for example, then we will contact Microsoft. This entire process needs to be enhanced.

We have been using this solution for about four and a half years.

As long as all of the requirements are met, this is a very stable solution. It is used for our daily operations.

Scalability of this solution is very good. We have approximately four hundred employees using this solution.

Technical support for this solution is very good. They are nice people and whenever we need support, they turn up and investigate. Within an hour they will start an investigation.

The initial setup is a little bit complex, but it is very good. In terms of configuration, you have a basic administrator account. If you are going to be configuring Hyper-V or another technology then you have to have an admin account for those, as well. Without a proper administrator account, you will not be able to perform backup and restore functions.

There are also other things to consider, such as the network port and user compatibility. Hyper-V has issues to consider with respect to configuring the backup.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is researching this solution is to first check to make sure that your environment is stable, and compatible with this product. Even before doing a POC, the environment needs to be considered. Once any incompatibilities have been ruled out then a POC should be done, where everything needs to be tested.

This product can be complex and difficult to understand, but once you have some experience it is very good.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

AA
Backup and Storage Administrator at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Strong stability and technical support offers good solutions for any problems

What is our primary use case?

We used the on-prem version of this solution. Our primary use case of this solution is for backup and recovery software.

What needs improvement?

The deduplication needs improvement and it could use better integration.

I've been using EMC NetWorked for fifteen years.

It's very stable.

NetWorker has very good scalability.

They have good technical support. They had good solutions for any problems I had.

What is our primary use case?

What needs improvement?

The deduplication needs improvement and it could use better integration.

I've been using EMC NetWorked for fifteen years.

It's very stable.

NetWorker has very good scalability.

We are in the process of switching to Commvault. It was a business decision, not a technical problem with NetWorker.

What other advice do I have?

This solution might be a bit complex for an end-user but it's a great solution for a technical person.

I think it's a very good solution.

I would rate it an eight out of ten. No solution can be a ten.

ME
IT Infrastructure Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
A very stable solution, but not user friendly and with disappointing technical support

• "The solution is very stable, especially if you are using a RAC environment."
  • "The software also isn't user-friendly like Convault or Rubrik. The solution errors and management aren't so good in comparison."

What is most valuable?

It's a very good solution if you are using an Oracle-like environment. It's a very good, very powerful solution, but at the same time, it's a legacy solution. That's why we moved from NetWorker to Commvault.

What needs improvement?

They need to improve their level of support.

The software also isn't user-friendly like Commvault or Rubrik. The solution errors and management aren't so good in comparison.

I've been using the solution for six to seven years.

The solution is very stable, especially if you are using a RAC environment.

The scalability of the solution is okay.

I was very dissatisfied with technical support. It's one of the reasons we switched to Commvault.

The setup was very difficult.

We used an integrator for the implementation.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises version of the service. We were also using a legacy solution from EMC.

In terms of recommending the solution, it would be my third choice, behind Rubrik and Commvault. There are newer versions, which are hyper-converged, but I would have to seriously evaluate them before I could recommend them.

I would rate this solution five or six out of ten.

MS
Senior Consultant at a healthcare company
Works well for small-scale NFS file backup and disaster recovery

• "The most valuable features for us at the moment are NFS, file system backup, and IP backup."
  • "We are looking forward to better stability in future versions."

What is our primary use case?

I was hired as a solution architect and implementation specialist for this solution. We are maintaining this solution for a customer in Hamburg, Germany.

I am working with an SAP on Oracle solution at the moment.

Our customers use this solution for backup and disaster recovery.

The usual deployment model for this solution is on-premise.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The main problem that we are having had to do with stability. We are looking forward to better stability in future versions.

Our customers often ask for better integration with Microsoft Exchange.

I have been using this solution for six years.

Stability is something that needs to be improved.

This is a highly scalable solution, but on a larger scale, it is not very stable.

I was contracted to migrate our client's disaster recovery environment from Tivoli Storage Manager to EMC NetWorker.

The solution itself was easy to set up, but configuring a global disaster recovery environment was quite complex.

I am a consultant who implements these solutions for our clients.

What other advice do I have?

When it comes to choosing this solution, it depends on the environment and the scenarios that you're focused on. There are many advantages with EMC NetWorker compared to other disaster recovery solutions, but the software is lacking in some areas that other vendors focus on. It really depends on what you want to get from the solution.

OS
User at aitgrupo
A stable and reliable backup solution for our client's data center

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for disk storage, and to administer Save and Restore functionality in our client's data center.

How has it helped my organization?

When it was required that data had to be restored for our customer, it was accomplished successfully and this has kept our end users satisfied.

What is most valuable?

Stability of NetWorker is very good.

What needs improvement?

We would like support for tape space reclaim, using either the same or another pool. NetWorker uses only a stage directed to a clone pool, which is not enough to recover space on the tape.

Two years.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Stability of NetWorker is very good.

Two years.
Bolaji Olaloku
Enterprise Backup Administrator at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
The response time of the tech support is swift, but the security features need backup and encryption

• "The response time of the tech support is swift. The support is fantastic."
  • "The security features need backup and encryption. It would be nice if they added this feature. I would also like to be able to decrypt when restoring the security features. Hackers can sense these vulnerabilities today, and we need to have our enterprise prepared."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for our critical servers. We have servers across Unix and Linux environments. We back up our critical servers daily, some are scheduled and some are done manually.

What is most valuable?

It has deduplication capabilities, where you have two similar data sets. This helps to speed up backup processes because it takes a shorter amount of time to do a backup because it has the deduplication feature already. Though, you have to buy this deduplication software separately from the license.

What needs improvement?

The security features need backup and encryption. It would be nice if they added this feature. I would also like to be able to decrypt when restoring the security features. Hackers can sense these vulnerabilities today, and we need to have our enterprise prepared.

Overall, it isn't intuitive enough. It is a bit complex and not evolving with the technology.

More than five years.

The stability is 80 percent out of 100. It hardly goes down. When there are issues, we can check the logs and see how to resolve it. We have never had the whole system fail.

It is pretty scalable. This is not an issue.

The response time of the tech support is swift. The support is fantastic.

The initial setup was straightforward. The configuration was not difficult. We used user guides which helped us with best practices.

What other advice do I have?

When choosing a solution, I always consider:

• Support
  • Availability of parts
  • The technology of the solution.
SS
System Administrator with 1-10 employees
The best feature is the DR replication for us. But, the implementation was difficult.

• "This solution is really the best in the market! After evaluating other solutions, we automatically decided to use this one."
  • "The best feature is the DR replication for us."
  • "There are some limitations regarding scalability of the product."
  • "We have faced problems with the initial configuration of the solution."

What is our primary use case?

Primary use is a mixed and match backups, which include my file server, the Linux server as well as a the SQLs. As of now, we won't have that much of a challenge. But, sometimes it was required to make some manual intervention for any additional things. With Networker, we are having DD 25 MB as a back up solution. In addition, we are keeping the backup. So, currently it is working.

How has it helped my organization?

Earlier, we used the Veritas backup solution. Before, we had a lot of manual steps. Now, with Networker, we do not have those steps.

What is most valuable?

Currently, the best feature is the DR replication for us. So, whatever data we are taking in the backup, it will get replicated end of day to our DR site.

What needs improvement?

In Rubrik, we were getting less time for backup the things because snapshot feature is there. So we asked that our EMC account manager help us. He suggested some block based backup, but we have seen that it won't stand as compared to the rubric snapshot back up. Rubrik and Veeam has the directly cloud interface. So, you have to just  configure the credentials for the cloud access and you can start taking the backup from Rubrik, which means the local backup is after schedule. So currently we don't think there is anything  like this with the Networker. We would like Networker to have a cloud side approach, which it does not currently have.

In addition, we have been facing some problems what with the initial configuration. I heard that Networker has released some beta versions.

Three to five years.

The stability is not so good, in the middle range.  Within the last 3 months, we were having some issues while just storing the backup. But it has been resolved within a one to two weeks. In regards to another case, it took a bit longer.

This solution is bundled with this DD 2500. But, there is some limitation for scalability of the DD 2500 shells. I can add only one more single shell, and that is a limitation.

We have used them, but we need to renew the service.

I have used Rubrik and Veeam in the past.

The implementation was difficult and, due to some reason, it was not done properly and we had to suffer a lot. The problems were only rectified only a month ago, after multiple follow- up with EMC teams.

When considering a vendor, I think it is key to find a solution that has:

• Minimal manual intervention
  • Low cost

Any person who is going to be installing this product should have full knowledge, and they should deploy whatever most valuable features are there. They have to explain it to the end-user and get it utilized for them.

The low cost is important.

What other advice do I have?

Dell EMC Networker is really the best in the market! After evaluating the solutions, we automatically decided to use this solution.

it_user469044
IT
​It allows us to not worry about our backups

What is most valuable?

Management GUI Pools to direct backups to storage

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to not worry about our backups.

What needs improvement?

Some functionality is restricted to Data Domain.

21 years.

Excellent.

The initial setup was complex in 1996, but now our environment is simpler, thus requiring two servers.

What other advice do I have?

If you need to backup multiple OS platforms, this is the product to purchase

What is most valuable?

• Management GUI
  • Pools to direct backups to storage

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to not worry about our backups.

What needs improvement?

Some functionality is restricted to Data Domain.

21 years.

Excellent.

What other advice do I have?

If you need to backup multiple OS platforms, this is the product to purchase

it_user687456
System Network Administrator at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
Provides successful backup in multiple locations, but it is too complex to use properly

What is most valuable?

It is application aware for Meditech, Exchange and SQL. We do not want to check for successful backup in multiple locations. We want the backup application to handle all of that.

How has it helped my organization?

It has not improved functionality for us. At least the unsupported version we are on is difficult to administer. Most of the functions it can perform are not being used by us because of the complexity.

What needs improvement?

Reduce the product's complexity.

Eight years.

Stability is an issue.

A seven out of 10. We must engage a reseller…

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Reduce the product's complexity.

Eight years.

Stability is an issue.

A seven out of 10. We must engage a reseller who supports it. They also are having difficulty troubleshooting it.

Complex in this version. It is not intuitive and logs are not easily accessible or decipherable.

What other advice do I have?

Be sure to do a PoC.

it_user738378
Sr. Infrastructure Architect at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Provides our backup and recovery capabilities for Service Restoration and Disaster Recovery

What is most valuable?

DD Boost integration for capacity reduction and backup window.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has provide our backup and recovery capabilities for Service Restoration and Disaster Recovery for more than a decade. We have evolved with the product over the years and it continues to meet our requirements.

What needs improvement?

Automate/role-based Virtual Machine protection and automated DR recovery capabilities.

Initial install was in 2001 with Legato 6.4. We just completed the latest upgrade to EMC Networker 9.1.

All x.0 versions that we have deployed have had issues which get worked out in the subsequent releases. We generally never deploy the x.0 version and wait instead for the x.1 SP 1 release.

Early on, we had limitations in the number of servers as a single DataZone could manage when pushed up to deploy multiple DataZones. Those numbers have significantly increased but for large environments, this could still be a limit. The number of connections that the solution uses with the VMware Hypervisor can cause issues with vCenter's performance, but that is more a limitation with VMware than EMC NetWorker.

Over the years, it’s been up and down. For this latest version, I would suggest that it’s average, with not a large number of EMC specialists understanding how all the latest features in the product are supposed to work.

In a larger environment with multiple servers types and network security zones, it’s a complex installation to ensure stability with performance.

What other advice do I have?

Don’t install the newest x.0 version of the product. Make sure you understand you own requirements and expectations of data protection in terms of Service Restoration and Disaster Recovery to ensure you are implementing the solution appropriately to meet those requirements.

it_user719796
Backup & Storage administrator at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Multiple Useful Features And Long List Of Supported OSs

What is most valuable?

• Very nice tools (nsrwatch, nsradmin) in CLI for administration, monitoring, and management. And GUI is available with enterprise level as well.
  • NetWorker’s commands are executed directly from shell/command line (you don’t need to log in to the DB or to any other kind of tool).
  • Very good backward and forward compatibility between NetWorker’s versions. You are not limited by higher version on backup client side.
  • Availability of cumulative hot fixes.
  • NetWorker server is supported on Windows and Linux OSs (unlike Commvault).
  • List of supported OSs and their versions is really long and it is the same for DBs and applications.
  • Provided documentation from EMC is quite good and well organized.
  • Block based backup and parallel save stream features are really helpful for classic backup of big file systems and lot of small files.
  • DDboost protocol speeds up backups and saves bandwidth of your LAN.
  • Possibility to create and use your own scripts in backup process or in administration.

How has it helped my organization?

Backup admins don’t need to dedicate so much time to installation and configuration of backups.

What needs improvement?

NetWorker’s code needs improvement. There are so many bugs in each version, so I have to wait until the last cumulative hotfix of each service pack is released, to be sure that I will not affect production and create more work for myself.

Since 2006.

I had some issues in the past, but I fixed them by updating the product. I would recommend installation of new, major or minor releases of EMC NetWorker if the second service pack of each version, and sixth or higher cumulative hotfix of that version, are both available.

This is difficult question. Honestly, EMC NetWorker technical support is not very helpful for me, because I have much more experience with it than the engineers who are initially assigned to an issue. I have to wait till my service request is moved to a higher level of support and, often, by the time that happens, I have fixed many service requests by myself.

On the other hand, EMC engineers are friendly and try to help as much as possible, so if you are not an experienced customer they can search in knowledge database for your issue and fix it via a WebEx session. This can be done over a live chat session or via a regular service request.

You can enable notifications (at the EMC support page) for security and technical alerts as well, so you will be informed about any big issues quickly.

I used Hiback from NovaStor a long time ago, but it was not as good as NetWorker. I switched because I was no longer responsible for the Hiback backup environment; I focused on EMC NetWorker.

Initial setup of EMC NetWorker is really easy work if you have basic knowledge of OSs, LAN and SAN, if needed. (A basic IT background is really needed). Just a few clicks in Windows or the installation of a few RPMs in Linux. I really like that EMC provides specific RPM packages and not only binaries in its archive, which are installed by installation script.

Ask your EMC representative for discount. They can provide really good discounts.

I did not do so.

What other advice do I have?

Use EMC Data Domain (DD) system and EMC NetWorker. It really is number one on the market in backup and recovery solutions.

Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Provides backup automation and monitoring centralization.

What is most valuable?

Provides backup automation and monitoring centralization. Having easy scalability of the covered data zone is also a big advantage.

How has it helped my organization?

All environment backups are monitored by a central management console. This allows us to have a global view and the statistics of data protection in the overall data center.

What needs improvement?

Native reports are not really user-friendly. This is the case because EMC wants to sell DPA, which can give more reports/details. I think this policy is unfair.

We have been using this solution for seven years.

There were stability issues, especially with version 9.0. The backup integration failed many times and the resolution was related to bugs fixed in later releases.

There were no scalability issues.

We did not use a different solution before this one.

The initial setup was complex. In fact, the NetWorker Management Console is divided into many tables. To configure a simple backup, you have to switch between many tables. You must have a good understanding of the configuration logic before you can manage this tool.

Use capacity licensing instead of the traditional one. With capacity licenses, you have all the capabilities enabled. With traditional licenses, you have to activate functionalities one by one.

• TSM : This solution does not offer the media server option, which means that all data that has to be backed up has to be sent to the TSM backup server before being backed up to media devices. In the NetWorker solution, we can define media nodes which write data directly to the backup devices. There is no need to move data to backup server beforehand. Also in NetWorker, we can define different retention policies for backups and copies. In TSM, the same retention applies to both the first copy and the second copy.
  • DPM: This Microsoft solution is well defined for Microsoft environments, but for VMware and others (SAP, Oracle) EMC NetWorker suits better and does offer more functionalities/options.
  • Veeam: Suitable for VMware environments only. EMC NetWorker capabilities are greater regarding other platforms (Microsoft, SAP).
  • NetBackup: This is the real EMC NetWorker competitor. For price reasons, EMC NetWorker was chosen in our case.

What other advice do I have?

Take a training course before implementing this solution, especially if you are used to managing another backup solution. The backup integration generally takes a while to stabilize. However, once you have done it, you can forget about it. The backup will run automatically and backed up data will expire automatically based on configured policies.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a sales & service partner with DELL EMC
it_user324444
Senior Associate - System Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
With the integration with Data Domain Boost, we are significantly saving backup space. However, backups of VMs could be improved.

Valuable Features

• Support for various operating systems, we use, AIX, Solaris, Linux, VMware, and Windows
  • Excellent deduplication with Data Domain Boost
  • A good user interface, so we can, from a single console, manage the entire backup infrastructure

Improvements to My Organization

We are using a single product, with the same licenses, to backup Oracle servers, SQL Servers, Exchange, and our virtual environment. It also allows us to clone the backups to a disaster recovery site. With the integration with Data Domain Boost we are significantly saving backup space.

Room for Improvement

I think, first of all, the part that relates to backup virtual machines. I've seen better and faster solutions, for example: Veeam.

Use of Solution

We've used NetWorker for about ten years. We are primarily using NetWorker to backup our core servers with Solaris. For the last three years, we use Networker to backup the entire infrastructure.

We're also using the NetWorker Module for Microsoft v8.2.1.8, and the NetWorker VMware Protection v1.1.1.50.

No issues encountered.

We had no problems with stability.

We had no problems with scalability. We have two data centers with different infrastructure.

I have worked with local EMC partners, I have had a positive experience.

I did not use technical support for NetWorker, but I have used it for some other EMC products and I think they were a little slow. 7/10.

Initial setup was straightforward. The documentation is good.

Implementation Team

We did it in-house.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Other Advice

It is a good product with some problems backing up virtual machines (slow restore). We use NetWorker Capacity Licensing Model. Estimating the backup environment's capacity is, for me, very complex, and I think not even clear.

it_user303789
Infrastructure Analyst at a engineering company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It allows us to share our knowledge and experience with it on other sites in our organization, although it lacks support for Xen and RHEV.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to configure and manage.

How has it helped my organization?

In our organization, we are working with Networker on other sites, so we can share our knowledge and experience.

What needs improvement?

We pretend to start image backups from VMware, but we are also working with Xen and RHEV, and this product doesn't support those platforms.

I´ve worked on it for over 10 years, since v6.

No issues encountered.

Just in version 7.x.x, where they changed all graphical interface and had some stability issues.

When I used to work in a consultant office, we had to split one backup server into three to support the amount of clients. This customer had a lot of backup server instability.

It is great; EMC support is one of the best.

It is great, a good level of knowledgement and escalation.

I used to work with TSM as well, but Networker is easier to deploy.

What other advice do I have?

There are some features that other software, like Avamar, does better, and that EMC could incorporate into Networker.

Ensure you have good architecture job before implementation. At our organization, we are scheduling all our backups from the same business line to ensure it's all done at the same time, to ensure all backups are scheduled at the same time.

Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Backup software solution which supports majority of IT platforms (Windows, UNIX, Oracle, SQL, Lotus, VMware etc.)

Valuable Features

Backup jobs can be scheduled and automated

Monitoring of backups and configuration tasks are centralized

Compatibility of the solution covers large OS/DataBases/Applications

Improvements to My Organization

In a large enterprise DataCenter there is traditionally a lot of applications/databases which are owned by different administrators.

Without a centralized backup solution, each application/DB owner has to ensure its backup separately and if a problem occurs, he has to execute recovery tasks. In these conditions, the application rower has to make some extra jobs : backup scripting, verifying backups have finished successfully, recovery jobs... This does impact his efficiency and the global enterprise efficiency.

If a centralized backup solution like Networker is deployed, the backup/recovery tasks will be on the responsibility of only one resource which is the backup administrator. This does directly involve that each application/DB owner can spend more time on his real job: optimizing the platform that he owns.

Room for Improvement

With Networker 8.0 I had an issue related to VMware VADP backups.
An Image level backup of a RHEL VM finished successfully, but when I tried to restore it the transfer speed was very low, and the restore operation took 20 hours to restore 17 GB which represents 50% of total VM size. I was then obliged to abort the restore operation because there was backup jobs planned and Networker was deployed with only one tape drive in this case (the tape drive can't write backups and perform restores simultaneously).

I contacted the support team to analyze this performance issue. They said that this happened because it was a Linux machine backed up with Windows Vcenter Proxy. For me this is not acceptable... I hope this will be resolved in the 8.2 version of Networker, because restore speed is important (RTO)

Use of Solution

4 years

Deployment tasks are not really hard. Networker is well documented.

7/10

Initial setup was complex because I had to integrate Exchange Server and I had no knowledge on how it works.

I asked to the Exchange administrator to assist me on the deployment and together we setup up the Exchange backup job.

Other Solutions Considered

IBM TSM; HP data protector; Symantec Netbackup/Backupexec are main competitor to Networker.

I remember a customer asked me to advise him between deploying Networker or TSM. The customer wanted to integrate a Data Domain device to his backup solution. I advised him to use Networker because TSM is not compatible with DDBoost protocol which improves DataDomain performance: Deploying TSM in this case was a limitation!

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are an EMC partner
Download our free Dell EMC NetWorker Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.