Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Rack Servers. It is most often compared to HPE ProLiant DL Servers: Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers vs HPE ProLiant DL Servers

What is Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers?

PowerEdge R is available in three models and with the following advantages: Entry level is simple, entry level server ideal for businesses just migrating to server usage, advanced is offering more cache and speed, these servers offer more options for processors, expansion and virtualization, Premium create a dynamic infrastructure with flexible workloads from a complete virtualization platform.

Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers is also known as PowerEdge R.

Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers Buyer's Guide

Download the Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers Customers

NxtGen Datacenter, Medien-Service Untermain (MSU), Exasol, IndigoVision, Dayco

Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers pricing:
  • "It's not a very expensive solution."
  • "The licensing comes with a warranty."

Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers Reviews

Imad Awwad
IT Director at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Innovative designs to transform IT and maximize performance across the widest range of applications.

What is our primary use case?

Virtual Environment and performance enhancements for SQL applications and for future VDI implementations.

• "The availability is excellent."
  • "The solution could still use some more analytics."

What other advice do I have?

There are certain components on other solutions that I need to check with Dell. Dell was very good before and always is in the performance, availability and support. That said, our region in Lebanon, had some problems with the distributors and the people who are licensed to sell Dell products. It's been about five years now, and it's now official that everybody can partner again with Dell. You don't have to be an experienced partner, per se. Before, it was being controlled by one partner. Nobody is able to bring in Dell, and this partner had control for all the prices of all the support and…
YS
Field Solution Architect at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Very scalable, delivers on promises, and offers good terms

What is our primary use case?

We primarily used the solution for the servers. It's a node among many in a multiprocessor, supercomputer environment. It's a very verified application. The customer uses a lesser file system, which means that one file system is shared among the entire installation. You're not going to see that very often in your career unless you're in that business. It's a multi-node, high-performance computing file system. It's Linux based.

• "The solution delivers what it promises. You look at the specs and it delivers them."
  • "Until they get new technology and density, it would be nice to see four nodes in a one-year package instead of a three-year package."

What other advice do I have?

My company partners with Dell. I'm recently retired, however, I did most of the infrastructure, backup storage, and high-performance computing. I was in pre-sales. I was a solution architect. Therefore, I'm not an end-user. We only used Dell for the servers. We used Seagate for storage. They have hard drives. They've been in the hard drive business for 40 years. My biggest piece of advice for those considering the solution is to make sure they are delivered on time. When clients are spending $50 million for an installation and you say it's going to be ready September 15th, it better be ready…
Learn what your peers think about Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,114 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MW
Project Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy to use and maintain with a straightforward setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for computing.

• "The initial setup is pretty straightforward."
  • "The solution needs to offer better service feedback, their response rate is slow when we have questions."

What other advice do I have?

We're both users of the product, as well as integrators. We've used many versions of the solution over the ten years we've used Dell. We may be on version 13 or 14 at this tie. I can't recall the exact version number. We've been quite happy with the solution overall. From our point of view, Dell is the best choice for servers, even though we have worked with other brands and products. I'd rate the product at a nine out of ten.
RamaswamyK
M. I. S. Manager at Ruby Mills Ltd
Easy to setup, reliable, scalable, and has good support

What is our primary use case?

All of my server's requirements are currently using the Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers.

• "This solution has absolutely fulfilled our needs well."
  • "There are certain aspects, features, and functionality on the motherboard that need improvement."

What other advice do I have?

This solution has absolutely fulfilled our needs well. We are still running, this solution, we are upgrading only because of the features and abilities that it doesn't have. It's run now for 14 to 15 years. It's a brilliant product. I would recommend this solution to others looking into using this solution. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Md. Shohel Rawshan Sarker
Manager at Mutural Trust Bank
Enables us to do remote troubleshooting

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution to help me with battery and memory DIMM errors.

• "The initial setup is so easy."
  • "As the disks and memory should be expandable, I would highlight scalability as an issue."

What other advice do I have?

The reason we use on-premises and not cloud is because we are talking about a bank. The financial data is not published outside. Before I could recommend implementing the solution, I wish to describe a scenario. As mentioned, in terms of the rack server I can speak positively. However, were I to compare Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers to other solutions, such as Blade, it wouldn't be helpful for this rack server only, as we are merely talking about CPU, RAM and some disks. Owing to the scalability issue, I rate Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers as a nine out of ten.
TP
Vice President Product Management & Strategy at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Good management tools, good quality, rock-solid, and dynamite support

What is our primary use case?

We are a Dell partner, and we're kind of like a hybrid type of partner that sells new products and also maintains a large stock of inventory. We build servers, storage, and solutions for clients and data centers. In terms of a specific use case, we build a lot of VMware vSAN in this solution.

• "Their management tools are the most valuable. Our customers like the flexibility of being able to scale up and out. It is very easy for them to scale and add additional nodes and servers to their storage solutions, such as the ATI solution. It has very good quality and a great deployment model. Its warranty is also very good, and it is very stable. Their fixes have been quick if they have those."
  • "After purchasing the product, customers have not been getting the support that they need in the early stages of getting set up. They can provide customers a little bit more education as to what they get with certain warranty levels. The data is there if the customers dig, but a lot of times, the customers don't dig. Some of the other server models come out a little bit quicker than Dell. It would be good if Dell is quicker to market on new, larger drives when they become available. Sometimes, we do get hit on that against a couple of competitors. Dell vets them a little bit longer than like the super micros to keep their stability and quality level up, but they lose a little bit of ground to a super micro. It would be good if they can release features and models as soon and as fast as they can. It would help them to stay more competitive."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise to just do your homework and make sure that you get the warranty and support levels that you're going to need. Understand what you will get and whether you need software support along with it. We do a cost analysis for our clients based upon the total cost of ownership. We do that for every deal. That's a very smart process to follow for any tech solution because some people think that if they just put a solution, it will solve all of their problems, which is not necessarily the case. I would rate PowerEdge Rack Servers a ten out of ten. We love these servers. These are quality…
SR
Pre-sale and Post-sale Engineer at a reseller with 201-500 employees
Great performance, fair pricing, and can scale well

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for a variety of use cases. These include holding technologies such as VMware, databases, web application servers, and copies, in some cases.

• "Their support is very good and very effective."
  • "The shipment times could be improved. Sometimes we have to wait four or five days before we get the actual servers. It could even be longer. Sometimes it is many days."

What other advice do I have?

We are Dell partners. We work with various versions of the solution. These include the 14 Generation, 13 Generation, and 11 Generation. We aren't currently in the process of buying a new server. I'd recommend the solution. I'd rate it at a perfect ten out of ten. It's been very good for us. We haven't had issues.
Frisal Argha Kusumah
Automation Service Engineer (DCS) at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Stable with an easy implementation process and very user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for its performance.

• "It's a very user-friendly solution."
  • "The performance could be a bit better."

What other advice do I have?

We're a partner as a buyer of the solution. We're using the latest version of the solution. Overall, I would rate the solution nine out of ten. We've never had any issues with Dell servers. They're good. They're very stable. I'd recommend the solution to other organizations.
See 12 more Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers Reviews
Product Categories
Rack Servers
Download our free Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.