Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers Overview

Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Rack Servers. It is most often compared to HPE ProLiant DL Servers: Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers vs HPE ProLiant DL Servers

What is Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers?

PowerEdge R is available in three models and with the following advantages: Entry level is simple, entry level server ideal for businesses just migrating to server usage, advanced is offering more cache and speed, these servers offer more options for processors, expansion and virtualization, Premium create a dynamic infrastructure with flexible workloads from a complete virtualization platform.

Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers is also known as PowerEdge R.

Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers Buyer's Guide

Download the Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers Customers

NxtGen Datacenter, Medien-Service Untermain (MSU), Exasol, IndigoVision, Dayco

Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

CEO at Verixo Technologies Pvt. Ltd
Enables us to virtualize applications and user desktops

What is our primary use case?

We use the Dell EMC R730 Rack Server. We use it for virtualization and we have some servers and some desktop virtual machines running on it. We mostly use it for testing purposes. We also use the Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Server to do QA testing for those applications. We create temporary virtual machines for this. Virtualization is one of our main use cases. Hosting web applications is another. We also use the Dell server for standard architecture like Microsoft Excel and Office applications,

• "It is quite stable. We didn't have a single downtime of failure. Nor have we ever experienced any downtime in electrical components or the hardware. In this way, the server is reliable."
  • "I would like to see better IOPS, i.e. the disc speed. That is the main limitation for scaling up the number of users."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers an eight out of ten. It was satisfactory, but we were not able to scale it to the level that we expected. Maybe we should have contacted their support or put in greater effort to find out about sizing guidelines, or maybe there is a limitation regarding the kind of scale that we are looking for. I would advise someone considering this solution to search for the use case that is the closest match to your business. We should have referred to that before making a purchase.
Technical Sales Engineer at Carbon
Reliable, easy to manage, and has a great management interface

What is our primary use case?

We use the server as a database server. We use it to import Microsoft SQL 2014 and some IIS application servers.

• "I like the Dell EMC management and we have a great management interface. They are very reliable and we can trust the server. It's very reliable and easy to manage."
  • "They should improve the centralized management interface. When you are going to deploy something, for example, VMware or RedHat, it should be easier to deploy a lot of servers. Now you have to do one at a time."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten because the product is quite reliable, quite good. We haven't had many problems with. I did not give a ten because of the website. The information isn't so well organized on the website. They have different types of licensing of management so make sure to check their licensing because they can differentiate.
Learn what your peers think about Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
501,499 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Pre-Sales Engineer at a tech services company
Support is great, hardware replacements are quick, the system itself is user-friendly

• "This product has really saved us a lot of headaches when it comes to hardware replacements. It's something it seems that Dell has improved. You quickly log your support case and get support. The turnaround time is really fast."
  • "Compared to the other vendors and generations, this one tends to be more user-friendly, so you spend less time trying to get where you want to go."
  • "The server itself has the most stable updates. The patches and the updates will take you a long way before they release another one, so you aren't constantly doing more updates and upgrades."
  • "The GUI is accessible and everything is pretty much upfront. You don't get lost in navigating between the tabs."
  • "The versions that I work with, they used to max out on memory, on RAM, quickly, so I'd want to think in the newer versions, they actually allocate more processing power and more RAM to them."

What other advice do I have?

I would tell colleagues to go for it. It's a great product, and as long as they can just stay on the latest and greatest versions, they shouldn't have any issues. I would give it an eight out of 10. And the chief reasons are its simplicity and ease of use. The two points I held back I wouldn't necessarily blame on the product, I would blame it on the area, the part of the world that we are in. I think it tends to take a bit long, like one to two weeks, to replace a spare part. Sometimes it can take long because of the customs issues. Really it has nothing to do with the product itself but with…
RB
Scientist/Engineer 'F' with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable, scalable product with the best technical support

• "Ease of use."
  • "It needs improvements in the thermal design and the management of servers."

What other advice do I have?

Check the literature and reviews available for the product. Ask and clarify all the queries before freezing on the requirements.
IT C at San Francisco state university
Enables us to swap hard drives very easily

What is most valuable?

The convenience, because we can swap very easily swap hard drives when one goes down.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of anything right now. It's not the perfect solution but it is reasonable.

In the past it has been very stable, but not recently.

I don't have experience with its scalability.

We have used it in the past. When we had problems, we had to contact or put a ticket with them, they would get back to us, they were very reasonable.

Before we had HPE, now we use Dell. We went with Dell because the school has a contract…
Systems Architect at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
Enables provisioning and managing of RAID virtual disks. You can load new firmware and build templates to push to multiple hosts.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great product. Just be mindful of some of the current bugs in OpenManage and OpenManage Integration for vCenter. Other than these, we’ve had a great experience.
Chief Technology Officer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Until recently I had the PE2650 and PE4400 when everything got replaced, so it's reliable hardware. However, there's a learning curve setting up the OpenManage server and agents.
IT Infrastructure and Operations Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reliability and manageability are valuable because since we run two separate sites, we can perform our maintenance and monitoring remotely.

What other advice do I have?

You should upgrade to, or get, Pro Support Plus. It is especially useful if your internal server/infrastructure team is small.
Data network Supervisor at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
It allows us to deploy and manage a server remotely.

What is most valuable?

Remote Management IDRAC Allows us to deploy & manage a server remotely It's very quiet

How has it helped my organization?

We have been using this server as a software license and a small file server for 10 users.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice to see an improvement in the performance.

We've used it for five years.

There were no issues with the deployment.

There have been no issues with the stability.

We haven't needed to scale it as we're only using it for 10 people.

Customer…
Support Technician with 51-200 employees
We like the large amount of RAM the server board supports, but it is a pricey solution.
Vice President at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Leaderboard
Ideal for database applications, large virtual infrastructures and other data intensive workloads.

Valuable Features:

One valuable feature is the scalability to deploy thousands of desktops.

Improvements to My Organization:

Use of Solution:

Dell PowerEdge R920 4U Rack Server

Scalability Issues:

Here are more specs when considering scalability: The R920 12G Server is a four socket, 4U rack server that offers increased performance and expandability, boasting a 100% increase in IOPS performance (Input/Output Operations Per Second) over the previous-generation PowerEdge servers. Enhanced storage and compute density enables the R920 to run intensive mission critical applications for any midsized to large enterprise environment effortlessly.…