Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Rack Servers. It is most often compared to HPE ProLiant DL Servers: Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers vs HPE ProLiant DL Servers

What is Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers?

PowerEdge R is available in three models and with the following advantages: Entry level is simple, entry level server ideal for businesses just migrating to server usage, advanced is offering more cache and speed, these servers offer more options for processors, expansion and virtualization, Premium create a dynamic infrastructure with flexible workloads from a complete virtualization platform.

Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers is also known as PowerEdge R.

Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers Buyer's Guide

Download the Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers Customers

NxtGen Datacenter, Medien-Service Untermain (MSU), Exasol, IndigoVision, Dayco

Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers Video

Archived Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers Reviews (more than two years old)

Sandeep Gandhi
CEO at Verixo Technologies Pvt. Ltd
Enables us to virtualize applications and user desktops

• "It is quite stable. We didn't have a single downtime of failure. Nor have we ever experienced any downtime in electrical components or the hardware. In this way, the server is reliable."
  • "I would like to see better IOPS, i.e. the disc speed. That is the main limitation for scaling up the number of users."

What is our primary use case?

We use the Dell EMC R730 Rack Server. We use it for virtualization and we have some servers and some desktop virtual machines running on it. We mostly use it for testing purposes. We also use the Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Server to do QA testing for those applications. We create temporary virtual machines for this.

Virtualization is one of our main use cases. Hosting web applications is another. We also use the Dell server for standard architecture like Microsoft Excel and Office applications,

How has it helped my organization?

We use Dell EMC PowerEdge R730 as a server for testing our software products. We had not benchmarked anything before we purchased this, but we went through the specs during that time and did some configuration. We purchased Dell EMC PowerEdge R730 with 256GB RAM and built-in dual CPUs. We just sought this configuration from the local Dell EMC account via our account manager.

Since we use this for testing our products, we do not use it for any business process requirements. We are not hosting on it, we are just using it for testing purposes.

We were not able to scale up the server to the number of reels that we were looking for, so our plan got stalled there. Now we are once again revisiting our plan for that after two years.

There are better processors available with multiple cores than the Dell EMC PowerEdge. Our current requirement is that we should be able to generate a load of five hundred or one thousand Windows 10 desktop VMs on a single server. We prefer to use an optimal sizing on the RAM, the storage disc, and the CPUs. That's our current requirement. Virtualization is the biggest benefit for our organization.

We are able to virtualize a lot of applications and user desktops with the Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Server.

What is most valuable?

The main criteria I look for in all vendors are:

1. On-site service for the hardware.
  2. The warranty period, i.e. how long the warranty is.
  3. The ability of the product itself, i.e. the specs and the lifecycle of the product.
  4. The hardware should be cutting edge.

I would like to see the lifecycle at seven to ten years. I want to work on the latest CPUs as much as possible, i.e. maintaining cutting edge standards, but still optimally priced.

We needed a benchmarking HP server, but since we are a small company, we went to hardware resellers. Dell EMC had some programs for SMBs and we were able to have direct interaction with them in India. We were able to get a very reasonable price for the same product which otherwise through the reseller network was extremely costly.

We found that arrangement from Dell EMC to be slightly better than compared to other vendors and why we did not choose them.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better IOPS, i.e. the disc speed. That is the main limitation for scaling up the number of users.

Nowadays, there are web servers that have greater endurance in the lifecycle than the Dell EMC PowerEdge, so that's what I would like to see improved most.

If Dell EMC can provide us with more IOPS, a higher disc size using the SSDs, and better battery endurance in terms of the lifecycle, i.e. three to seven years, I would be satisfied. With the Dell EMC PowerEdge Server, there is a limitation on the hardware life cycles.

Another place Dell EMC could improve is with GPUs. If we can get more benchmarking done, some optimization, and more scalability for certain apps, it would be better.

Dell EMC could improve the sizing and scaling performance that we can get with the server, including some better optimization that we can scale up. Another need for improvement is to consider the implementation of other forms of desktop virtualization.

It is quite stable. We didn't have a single downtime of failure. Nor have we ever experienced any downtime in electrical components or the hardware. In this way, the server is reliable.

The Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Server did not scale to our expectations.

I do not recall if we needed to use Dell EMC technical support often. We did when we wanted to expand the memory and it was satisfactory.

We were already familiar with the hardware so it was straightforward to set up the web server for our requirements.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers an eight out of ten. It was satisfactory, but we were not able to scale it to the level that we expected.

Maybe we should have contacted their support or put in greater effort to find out about sizing guidelines, or maybe there is a limitation regarding the kind of scale that we are looking for.

I would advise someone considering this solution to search for the use case that is the closest match to your business. We should have referred to that before making a purchase.

Daniel Lopes
Technical Sales Engineer at Carbon
Reliable, easy to manage, and has a great management interface

• "I like the Dell EMC management and we have a great management interface. They are very reliable and we can trust the server. It's very reliable and easy to manage."
  • "They should improve the centralized management interface. When you are going to deploy something, for example, VMware or RedHat, it should be easier to deploy a lot of servers. Now you have to do one at a time."

What is our primary use case?

We use the server as a database server. We use it to import Microsoft SQL 2014 and some IIS application servers.

What is most valuable?

I like the Dell EMC management. We have a great management interface. They are very reliable and we can trust the server. It's very reliable and easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

They should improve the centralized management interface. When you are going to deploy something, for example, VMware or RedHat, it should be easier to deploy a lot of servers. Now you have to do one at a time.

The way that they condense the information on the Dell EMC website is not so good. They should improve the website. When you need to find a download or documentation it's very hard. The information on the website is very distributed. It's hard to find the information we need.

Stability is quite good, I haven't had any problems so far.

Scalability is good.

Technical support is great. I keep hearing reviews that it's very good. When you're opening a request or a ticket they respond very quickly.

When the new technology doesn't run in your environment it's time to plan and make a change. That's why we're trying to change the technology with the servers. Now, people are talking about different softwares and containment technology but our environment has not adapted for these kinds of technology.

The most important criteria that we consider when looking at a solution is the reliability. We look at  the feedback from the community about the product. I always try to seek information in forums just like this one. We also look at accredited reports about the products and the vendors. I always try to find a good report about the new features and product. Lastly, we also consider whether the solution is budget friendly.

We also looked at HP, IBM, and Huawei. We chose Dell EMC because HP wanted to charge us for the iLO management and with Dell EMC we don't have to pay for management like the iLO.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten because the product is quite reliable, quite good. We haven't had many problems with. I did not give a ten because of the website. The information isn't so well organized on the website.

They have different types of licensing of management so make sure to check their licensing because they can differentiate.

Learn what your peers think about Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,029 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Pre-Sales Engineer at a tech services company
Support is great, hardware replacements are quick, the system itself is user-friendly

• "This product has really saved us a lot of headaches when it comes to hardware replacements. It's something it seems that Dell has improved. You quickly log your support case and get support. The turnaround time is really fast."
  • "Compared to the other vendors and generations, this one tends to be more user-friendly, so you spend less time trying to get where you want to go."
  • "The server itself has the most stable updates. The patches and the updates will take you a long way before they release another one, so you aren't constantly doing more updates and upgrades."
  • "The GUI is accessible and everything is pretty much upfront. You don't get lost in navigating between the tabs."
  • "The versions that I work with, they used to max out on memory, on RAM, quickly, so I'd want to think in the newer versions, they actually allocate more processing power and more RAM to them."

How has it helped my organization?

Compared to the older versions, and those from other vendors, like HPE servers and some other brands, this one has really saved us a lot of headaches when it comes to hardware replacements. It's something it seems that Dell has improved. You quickly log your support case and get support. The turnaround time is really fast.

Also, compared to the other vendors and generations, this one tends to be more user-friendly, so you spend less time trying to get where you want to go.

What is most valuable?

• Its ease of use. The GUI is accessible and everything is pretty much upfront. You don't get lost in navigating between the tabs.
  • I also like a feature they call iDRAC. It's a feature that allows you remotely power on and off the server.
  • It's got a power plug.
  • It's also almost a tool-less type of server, in the sense that when you want to open it up and change a few components inside, you can do so without a screwdriver or any aid of another tool.
  • It also has a nice front panel, it looks nice in front.

What needs improvement?

Of course, the new generation of servers, I've yet to really use them, the 13th and the 14th generations of the Dell rack servers. I haven't gotten my hands on those yet. But as for the versions that I work with, they used to max out on memory, on RAM, quickly, so I'd want to think in the newer versions, they actually allocate more  processing power and more RAM to them. I'd want to think that's what they did with the newer versions.

Three to five years.

It's a very stable product. From a software and hardware perspective, it's actually a bit more stable compared to other versions and vendors. It's definitely quite resilient, we haven't had many failures, hardware or software failures.

It is quite scalable. The other versions come with a lot of allocation or provision for you to scale more, so it is a scalable solution.

We switched because of the kind of support we'd get from the vendor itself, a quick response time. That's a very critical issue; how swiftly can they resolve an issue. That is one of the major reasons for the switch. The other reason was the resiliency of the products, which is one of the benefits we enjoy with the current choice that we made.

The initial setup is quite easy. The Dell OpenManage interface is straightforward, Obviously you have to read through the documentation a bit before you set it up, but it is quite straightforward.

It took us, I would say, a day for each site, because we set it up at three different sites and they're each about 80 kilometers apart. Each site took a day because we had to rearrange our server room, how the cooling would be done, and the power and things like that. Obviously, there were other things contributing to the setup of the server, not the server itself.

Yes, we did also consider other options but we took this option over the other ones because of the response time, support, and we feel that these guys were a leap ahead in terms of the technology itself.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell colleagues to go for it. It's a great product, and as long as they can just stay on the latest and greatest versions, they shouldn't have any issues.

I would give it an eight out of 10. And the chief reasons are its simplicity and ease of use.

The two points I held back I wouldn't necessarily blame on the product, I would blame it on the area, the part of the world that we are in. I think it tends to take a bit long, like one to two weeks, to replace a spare part. Sometimes it can take long because of the customs issues. Really it has nothing to do with the product itself but with area that I'm in. So someone who's in Europe will likely get better service because they are closer to the manufacturing plants and they can get the equipment in, whereas where we're from, the shipment of that stuff would have to hop notable distances. So if they could have a hub that's more central and closer to where we are, then maybe it would be a perfect 10.

RB
Scientist/Engineer 'F' with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable, scalable product with the best technical support

• "Ease of use."
  • "It needs improvements in the thermal design and the management of servers."

What is most valuable?

Ease of use.

How has it helped my organization?

Our requirement is 99.9999% uptime. That is what we have experienced from these servers.

What needs improvement?

With the technology advancements, both the OEMs improve their products for best performance. I would also prefer additional improvements in the thermal design and the management of servers.

I have used Dell servers for nine years.

No issues.

No issues.

The technical support is the best.

We have used SGI, Sun, IBM, and now Fujitsu. The procurement is through open or limited tender only.

The initial setup is mixed between being straightforward and complex.

We have well-defined process for the technical evaluation of pricing.

We evaluate all the responses to our requirements. After the selection is made for two to three products, then commercials are checked and the best price solution is selected.

What other advice do I have?

Check the literature and reviews available for the product. Ask and clarify all the queries before freezing on the requirements.

it_user522153
IT C at San Francisco state university
Enables us to swap hard drives very easily

What is most valuable?

The convenience, because we can swap very easily swap hard drives when one goes down.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of anything right now. It's not the perfect solution but it is reasonable.

In the past it has been very stable, but not recently.

I don't have experience with its scalability.

We have used it in the past. When we had problems, we had to contact or put a ticket with them, they would get back to us, they were very reasonable.

What needs improvement?

In the past it has been very stable, but not recently.

I don't have experience with its scalability.

Before we had HPE, now we use Dell. We went with Dell because the school has a contract with them.

It was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

The important criteria when selecting a vendor are, really, everything. Number one though is customer support.

I think their price is reasonable.

it_user388956
Systems Architect at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
Enables provisioning and managing of RAID virtual disks. You can load new firmware and build templates to push to multiple hosts.

What is most valuable?

• OpenManage Essentials: Loading new firmware is easy, either via OpenManage Essentials, OMIVV, or the iDRAC. It’s just so easy.
  • OpenManage Essentials facilitates the build of a desired template (including disk configuration) and pushing this out to multiple hosts at once. This greatly speeds up our deployment times.
  • iDRAC 8: Being able to provision and manage RAID virtual disks from the iDRAC is a huge bonus. You don’t have to boot the machine via the console to do this.
  • The firmware rollback is great. The iDRAC can store previous versions to make this very quick.

How has it helped my organization?

• iDRAC 8 allows you to configure so much of the server without having to use a console. For example, RAID configuration, disk health, and SSD wear.
  • It also displays a great amount of environmental history, including temps and power usage, with up to a year of history stored in the iDRAC.
  • The vFlash capability is handy, allowing multiple SD partitions to be created and mounted. Being able to load all kinds of firmware via iDRAC is great, e.g., disk, controller, BIOS.
  • OpenManage Essentials is better than OneView in my opinion. While it lacks the visual finesse of OneView, it has far more functionality.

What needs improvement?

OpenManage Essentials could do with a visual “birthday” as it still requires the Silverlight plugin.

OpenManage for vCenter integration is powerful, but also a little buggy. Hardware-wise, they are great. I much prefer the iDRAC architecture over HPE iLO.

We have used the solution for about nine months.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

So far, the technical support has been very good. The self-service portal for requesting replacement parts is extremely easy to use and it is fast.

For technical support tickets, the experience isn’t quite as good. There were some delays in communication.

We used HPE ProLiant. We switched due to significant cost savings in capex as well as operational improvements.

For example, having OpenManage Essentials is better than OneView, at least for rack servers.

The setup was extremely simple.

iDRAC is easier to configure, with the front LCD panel, on the non-XD models, being very handy.

The NFC option for the front bezel combined with the mobile app is great for on-site troubleshooting.

For a small, extra cost, you can get OpenManage Essentials with configuration management. This allows you to deploy pre-configured hardware templates making mass deployment easy.

DELL is typically much cheaper that HPE, for example. Their licensing is far more transparent and simple.

iDRAC licensing is significantly cheaper. Extended support costs are also lower.

We evaluated HPE ProLiant.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great product. Just be mindful of some of the current bugs in OpenManage and OpenManage Integration for vCenter. Other than these, we’ve had a great experience.

Chief Technology Officer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Until recently I had the PE2650 and PE4400 when everything got replaced, so it's reliable hardware. However, there's a learning curve setting up the OpenManage server and agents.

What is most valuable?

These servers have been real work-horses. Dell has done a nice job at including more management tools, with OpenManage and the likes. The DRAC Enterprise is an amazing feature, especially when managing decentralized server farms.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the main factors in helping efficacy is having like-branded servers, which have compatible tools. There are are more universal management tools out there, but they are generally pretty costly. The fact that the servers have generally been quite reliable, has really decreased expenditure. I know that when I put a server in place, they will simply run. I had servers that were still from the PE2650, and PE4400 up until fairly recently when everything got replaced. There is something to be said about reliable hardware.

What needs improvement?

Unfortunately, I am now more in the space of IaaS, so I am a little bit removed from that particular area. In my experience when I was actively using Dell's servers, they were always improving their hardware, and coming up with more efficient solutions. One of the things that I had started using pretty extensively is blade servers, as they are more efficient on energy, and can provide the same computing power as racked servers, yet consume much less rack real estate.

I have used all series of Dell PowerEdge servers for about 12-14 years, through to the 12th generation.

For the most part, my experience with Dell was in conjunction with VMware vSphere, and VMware View. There were some issues that I encountered with the servers, but it is a result of having multiple server generations with different processors in place, which caused some problems with HA and DRS with VMware, but these don't necessarily quality as issues with the servers themselves. From a hardware perspective, these servers have always been rock solid.

I think the customer support at Dell is adequate, at least when it comes to their server support team. Some other areas are more lacking, but over all, and as it relates to servers, I have no complaints.

Most of my experience has been with Dell servers, so I can't comment much on different solutions.

If you're familiar with deploying servers, then it's not really complex. There is a bit of a learning curve when it comes to setting up the OpenManage server and agents, but nothing unsurmountable.

I have always deployed my own servers. If you are operating in an SMB, I would recommend that you get your hands dirty, and learn how these servers are setup, connected, etc., as it is going to be a matter of when, not if, that the server is going to have some failed component, that you're going to want to know how to deal with. Typically, if you have your Dell support, even the basic one, I believe you are able to get a technician to come help with hardware repair/replacement.

Well, since this is a discussion about hardware, one would argue that ROI isn't really much of a relevant argument in this case, as the factors for it would depend more than just the actual server purchased. This is really a CAPEX expense, and given today's technology, and the business need and requirements, I personally would much rather start moving my computing resources to the cloud, (i.e: AWS, Azure, Rackspace, etc...), and shift that CAPEX into an OPEX and free up some funds for more fluid cashflow.

I have worked very minimally with HP servers as well, which were also pretty good servers.

it_user417420
IT Infrastructure and Operations Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reliability and manageability are valuable because since we run two separate sites, we can perform our maintenance and monitoring remotely.

Valuable Features

Reliability and manageability are valuable because since we run two separate sites, we can perform our maintenance and monitoring remotely (iDRAC), saving us travel time.

Improvements to My Organization

It allowed us to run more VMs than we had originally planned. We've had no failures in six years, and can perform remote management and maintenance.

Room for Improvement

This product has been superseded by newer model (R730) so any suggestions would be irrelevant. However, I am having a memory speed issue that I would like to be fixed.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for six years, and are currently using the 2011 model..

We have had no issues with the deployment.

In the six years we have been using it, we have never had a fault/failure/malfunction hardware-wise.

Memory scalability and reduced memory speed when memory channels are fully populated. Then again, the model we have is six years old and our workloads/VMs have doubled.

We get great local support, and have always had positive experiences when speaking to Dell and using their products.

Implementation Team

It was implemented by a systems integrator.

Other Advice

You should upgrade to, or get, Pro Support Plus. It is especially useful if your internal server/infrastructure team is small.

it_user402060
Data network Supervisor at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
It allows us to deploy and manage a server remotely.

What is most valuable?

Remote Management IDRAC Allows us to deploy & manage a server remotely It's very quiet

How has it helped my organization?

We have been using this server as a software license and a small file server for 10 users.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice to see an improvement in the performance.

We've used it for five years.

There were no issues with the deployment.

There have been no issues with the stability.

We haven't needed to scale it as we're only using it for 10 people.

Customer…

What is most valuable?

• Remote Management IDRAC
  • Allows us to deploy & manage a server remotely
  • It's very quiet

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

It would be nice to see an improvement in the performance.

We've used it for five years.

There were no issues with the deployment.

There have been no issues with the stability.

We haven't needed to scale it as we're only using it for 10 people.

We have not used Dell customer service.

We only used Dell support to download driver updates which is very flexible and very good.

We used other products, but Dell support offered more. We have less issues have a better understanding of the hardware design.

We did it in-house.

Support Technician with 51-200 employees
We like the large amount of RAM the server board supports, but it is a pricey solution.

Valuable Features:

The Xeon variants and large amount of RAM the server board supports is to our liking. Also the ease of which the machine can be upgraded. We had no difficulty with any hardware additions. Lastly, we enjoy the great warranty and quality of the product.

Improvements to My Organization:

The ease of working with our suppliers and the availibility of the product.

Room for Improvement:

I can't think of anything, as it is a good product.

Deployment Issues:

Stability Issues:

Cost and Licensing Advice:

It is a pricey server in comparison to its competitors, but it doesn’t lack in any of its capability. It still is great value for money and the product has great after sales support.

Other Solutions Considered:

We chose Dell because it is a well-known brand and this was one of the buying factors for us. We find that trusted brands benefit not only our clients, but us as a reseller as well.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We have good relations. Dell is a trusted brand at our firm.
Chris Rodinis
Vice President at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Leaderboard
Ideal for database applications, large virtual infrastructures and other data intensive workloads.

Valuable Features:

One valuable feature is the scalability to deploy thousands of desktops.

Improvements to My Organization:

Use of Solution:

Dell PowerEdge R920 4U Rack Server

Scalability Issues:

Here are more specs when considering scalability: The R920 12G Server is a four socket, 4U rack server that offers increased performance and expandability, boasting a 100% increase in IOPS performance (Input/Output Operations Per Second) over the previous-generation PowerEdge servers. Enhanced storage and compute density enables the R920 to run intensive mission critical applications for any midsized to large enterprise environment effortlessly.…

Valuable Features:

One valuable feature is the scalability to deploy thousands of desktops.

Improvements to My Organization:

Use of Solution:

Dell PowerEdge R920 4U Rack Server

Scalability Issues:

Here are more specs when considering scalability:

The PowerEdge 12G family of servers introduces the new Intel Xeon E7-2800, 4800, and 8800 v2 family of processors to the 4U form factor. Delivering more cores, additional cache, and better power efficiency over the previous generation of Xeon Sandy Bridge processors.

The system supports up to two E7-2800 V2 processors, or for more performance choose up to (4) E7-4800 or (4) 8800 V2 series, 15 core processors, for a total of 120 threads with Intel’s QuickPath Interconnect clock rates of up to 8GT/s (Giga Transfers per second).

The Intel C602J chipset supports DDR3 memory, providing faster speeds, higher compute density, and lower power consumption than the previous generation.

When used with a 4 CPU configuration, a maximum of 96 DDR3 DIMMs can support an impressive 6TBs of LRDIMMs of 64GB modules.

Depending on the processor, the R920 can achieve memory speeds of up to 1600MT/s (Mega Transfers per second).

A choice of storage configurations supports up to 24 2.5 inch SFF drives allowing you to choose between SATA, SSD, or SAS drive options to best suit your needs. For maximum performance, the R920 can be configured to support 8 PowerEdge Express Flash PCIe SSD’s, optimizing input/output operations per second (IOPS), reducing mechanical latency and leveraging enterprise class reliability in NAND SSD’s, which offer a significant increase in performance and durability over standard hard drives.

The PERC H730P storage controller offers 12Gb/s on a PCIe 3 interface and supports RAID configurations 0, 1, 10, 5, 50, 6, 60 with 2GB non-volatile flash backed write cache.

For external storage, the optional PERC H810 6Gb/s adapter provides 1GB non-volatile write cache and supports RAID modes of 0, 1, 10, 5, 50, 6, and 60.

And, depending on the chassis configuration, the front of the PowerEdge R920 allows access to the power ON button, Non-Maskable Interrupt and system ID buttons, an LCD information panel, 2 USB 2.0 ports, optical drive, VGA connection, and an iDRAC vFlash SD card slot, which requires an iDRAC enterprise license.

The back of the server provides access to redundant power supplies, 2 USB 2.0 connections, VGA port, dedicated iDRAC Enterprise connection, serial port, a choice of quad port LAN or dual port LAN with dual 10Gbe port, and PCIe slots.

Choose between the platinum or titanium rated 750W power supply or the platinum rated 1100W power supply. Up to 4 hot plug redundant PSU’s can be configured with the system.

The R920 comes with 8 PCIe 3.0 slots standard and two more can be added so there’s plenty of room for expansion.

CPU 1

Slot 1: half-length, full-height, PCIe 3.0 x8 (x24 connector), baseboard

Slot 2: NDC riser slot (Network Daughter Card)

Slot 3: half-length, full-height, PCIe 3.0 x8 (x16 connector), baseboard

Slot 9: half-length, full-height, PCIe 3.0 x16 (x24 connector), baseboard

(optional riser)

Slot 1/9: full-length, full-height, PCIe 3.0 x8 (x16 connector), right riser

Slot 2/10: half-length, full-height, PCIe 3.0 x8 (x16 connector), right riser

Various PCie cards can be installed including additional NIC’s, Infiniband cards, and Fusion IO drives.

Dell’s iDRAC 7 Express Level Management Technology comes standard offering remote management and monitoring without the need to install additional software. Upgrading to Enterprise allows you to maintain complete server control and access your server from any remote location using a browser, in addition to enabling the dedicated management port and vFlash SD slot.

The R920 can weigh up to 130 lbs. and is 6.8” tall…….18.99” wide…..and 29.65” deep (31.59” with PSU and bezel).

Supported operating systems include Microsoft Windows Server, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, SUSE Linux

Enterprise Server, Oracle Solaris, VMware, and Citrix XenServer.

Other Advice:

A brief upbeat and informative video overview of the Dell R920 4U rack server:

Product Categories
Rack Servers
Download our free Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.