Dell EMC PowerFlex Overview

Dell EMC PowerFlex is the #9 ranked solution in our list of HCI Software. It is most often compared to VxRail: Dell EMC PowerFlex vs VxRail

What is Dell EMC PowerFlex?

VxRack System consists of hyper-converged rack-scale engineered systems, with integrated networking, to achieve the scalability and management requirements of traditional and cloud native workloads. The VxRack series is purposely designed to enable customers to quickly deploy Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) and/or Private Cloud architectures. VxRack Systems tightly integrate hardware with software and management layers.

The result is a fully tested, pre-configured, hyper-converged system with simplified operations at data center and Service Provider scale. VxRack Systems support the deployment of a variety of application workloads, allowing IT to rapidly deliver new services while improving overall agility and efficiency.

Dell EMC PowerFlex is also known as VxFlex, VxRack FLEX, PowerFlex.

Download the Hyper-Converged (HCI) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Dell EMC PowerFlex Customers

Canopy, 8x8Inc., Atos, Canadian Pacific, City of Denton, CenturyLink, BNP Paribas, Asyaport, EDF, CSC, Fox Sports, Insight, Hunter, KPIT, Paetec, Rosetta Stone, Sonda, Xerox

Dell EMC PowerFlex Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dell EMC PowerFlex pricing:
  • "The price of the solution is fair, it is priced in the average range amongst competitors."
  • "The pricing for this solution is good."

KobusRas
Infrastructure Solutions Architect at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Reseller
Enables users to attach additional nodes and resources for the applications

What is our primary use case?

At the end of the day, VxFlex is for all applications. We normally do a sizing. Then we usually look at the sizing and design it according to its outcome. It's also about applications. You can see what application requirements are.

• "We're doing a lot of VMware for IT so this solution is really valuable from a VMH point of view. We're trying to assist our customers mainly with management, because that's what they want. The most important aspects are ease of management, as well as ease of configuration, allowing them to attach additional nodes and resources for the applications."
  • "I think there might be some room for improvement when it comes to pricing, because although I know how to convert customers, at the end of day, it's quite expensive. Sometimes your feature architecture is still coming out much cheaper than hardware costs for your infrastructure."

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that you have all the required information and that you actually do a full assessment before you design or implement a solution. You need to make sure of this so you will get the best possible performance out of the solution. If you don't have the correct information, it's going to take you a bit longer than normal to make sure it's installed correctly and performs in the ultimate areas. I would rate this as eight out of ten.
MoamenMorad
Hardware Team Leader at Giza Systems
Good stability and scalability with excellent reliability

What is our primary use case?

The solution is very simple, and not critical. We use it primarily for the Ministry of Electricity for implementing new smart meters in Egypt. It made it easier to handle the billing system.

• "The solution was connected to alternate storage. It provides great scalability and reliability."
  • "The biggest issue with the solution is that it doesn't support Hyper V. It's a big problem."

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. We're partners with the solution. It's a good product but the big issue is it must support different layers on hyper-visors because if a customer has something like Oracle databases that do not support VMware, there's an issue with the product. For a customer looking for VMware, VxRack is the best solution. If I need something better or different, Red Hat HyperV is an option, but there's no support. That's a big issue. If I was just looking at it as a VMware solution, I'd give it ten out of ten, but without the hypervisor support, I'd rate the solution…
Find out what your peers are saying about Dell EMC, VMware, Nutanix and others in Hyper-Converged (HCI). Updated: July 2021.
522,693 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Mohamed Zein
Datacenter Team Leader at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Hardware integrates well, easy to upgrade, and responsive technical support

• "It is easy to use for management and operations teams because the tools are in one place."
  • "The installation is complex."

What other advice do I have?

For those who want to scale their environment, manage all the environment from a single point, and have to only deal with a single vendor this solution might be for you. If you need these requirements from a business perspective as operations management, the operational cost could be lower but I would advise speaking to professional deployment teams before you do anything. I rate Dell EMC PowerFlexRev a nine out of ten.
OlivierHupond
Activity Manager at SNEF
A good product for storage needs but the inclusion of an instrumentation feature would be helpful

What is our primary use case?

I'm an activity manager and work for a company that deals with electrical installations, assisting customers with strategy and IT investments. My job is to be well-acquainted with the various technologies and assist the customer in making the right choices. Options could include hyper-convergence, mass storage, cloud solutions, or big data solutions, those sorts of choices. It's really about explaining the different technologies and options available rather than using them. I'm not an integrator.

• "Perfectly suits customers dealing with the combination of future storage needs and, at the same time, keeping up their computing power."
  • "Including instrumentation would be a helpful improvement."

What other advice do I have?

VxRack and VxRail are more or less the same solutions. VxRack is a more powerful solution than VxRail. People need to think about which technology will work for them. My opinion is that HP Hyperconvergence is a technology that perfectly suits customers dealing with the combination of future storage needs and, at the same time, keeping up their computing power. If a customer has to juggle these two, the hyper-convergence solutions are okay. It's a good solution. If the need for computing power is more important, we suggest that they focus more on a Software-Defined Storage solution like VMware…
AB
IT Analyst at a wellness & fitness company with 10,001+ employees
Good integration, suitable for hyper-converged in SMB environment

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is hyper-converged. We have a private cloud deployment.

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is integration."
  • "There should be more functionality available for routing."

What other advice do I have?

This solution is good for small-end businesses, but for high-level business, you may have to evaluate other solutions. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Mohamed Youssef
Sr. Pre-Sales Engineer at Advanced Technology Company
All in one box solution that is effective for our infrastructure

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for storage nodes and compute nodes and I like that it is all in one box. It is very effective to use it for our infrastructure.

• "The program is stable."
  • "I am not really impressed by the technical support of this solution."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from 1 to ten, I will rate this solution an eight.
JE
Network Administrator at Kakira Sugar
An easy initial setup, very good scalability and quite stable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use three or four modules for the city running on a plant.

What needs improvement?

The pricing of the solution could be lower. The solution needs to offer more documentation and educational materials. It would be helpful if they could simplify the solution for those that are new to the product, so that anyone could use it quite easily.

The solution is quite stable.

The solution is very scalable. We have about 400 people using the solution currently and we do plan to incrementally increase usage by about 10% a year.

The initial setup is straightforward. Deployment took about two months.

What

SP
Enterprise Service Manager at Technology Associates Limited
A high-availability solution with excellent technical support

What is our primary use case?

We use VxFlex for our banking applications.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is high availability.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a more user-friendly interface.

We have been using VxFlex for about a year and a half.

VxFlex is a very stable product.

The scalability is very good.

The Dell EMC technical support is excellent.

The pricing for this solution is good.

What other advice do I have?

We are planning to upgrade this system in three years,…