Dell EMC PowerFlex OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dell EMC PowerFlex is the #10 ranked solution in our list of HCI Software. It is most often compared to VxRail: Dell EMC PowerFlex vs VxRail

What is Dell EMC PowerFlex?

VxRack System consists of hyper-converged rack-scale engineered systems, with integrated networking, to achieve the scalability and management requirements of traditional and cloud native workloads. The VxRack series is purposely designed to enable customers to quickly deploy Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) and/or Private Cloud architectures. VxRack Systems tightly integrate hardware with software and management layers.

The result is a fully tested, pre-configured, hyper-converged system with simplified operations at data center and Service Provider scale. VxRack Systems support the deployment of a variety of application workloads, allowing IT to rapidly deliver new services while improving overall agility and efficiency.

Dell EMC PowerFlex is also known as VxFlex, VxRack FLEX, PowerFlex.

Download the Hyper-Converged (HCI) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Dell EMC PowerFlex Customers

Canopy, 8x8Inc., Atos, Canadian Pacific, City of Denton, CenturyLink, BNP Paribas, Asyaport, EDF, CSC, Fox Sports, Insight, Hunter, KPIT, Paetec, Rosetta Stone, Sonda, Xerox

Dell EMC PowerFlex Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dell EMC PowerFlex pricing:
  • "The price of the solution is fair, it is priced in the average range amongst competitors."
  • "The pricing for this solution is good."

Dell EMC PowerFlex Reviews

KobusRas
Infrastructure Solutions Architect at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Reseller
Enables users to attach additional nodes and resources for the applications

• "We're doing a lot of VMware for IT so this solution is really valuable from a VMH point of view. We're trying to assist our customers mainly with management, because that's what they want. The most important aspects are ease of management, as well as ease of configuration, allowing them to attach additional nodes and resources for the applications."
  • "I think there might be some room for improvement when it comes to pricing, because although I know how to convert customers, at the end of day, it's quite expensive. Sometimes your feature architecture is still coming out much cheaper than hardware costs for your infrastructure."

What is our primary use case?

At the end of the day, VxFlex is for all applications. We normally do a sizing. Then we usually look at the sizing and design it according to its outcome. It's also about applications. You can see what application requirements are.

What is most valuable?

We're doing a lot of VMware for IT so this solution is really valuable from a VM point of view. We're trying to assist our customers mainly with management because that's what they want. The most important aspects are ease of management, as well as ease of configuration, allowing them to attach additional nodes and resources for the applications.

What needs improvement?

I think there might be some room for improvement when it comes to pricing because although I know how to convert customers, at the end of the day, it's quite expensive. Sometimes your feature architecture is still coming out much cheaper than hardware costs for your infrastructure.

The guys normally say it's all about your management. If you do a feature architecture with VMware or Hypervisor with the management, you still get a lot of attitude from that as well.

We've been using this solution for the past six years.

I think it's stable. If it's properly installed, you shouldn't see any issues or bugs.

It is scalable. Scalability depends on our customer. In South Africa, our enterprise may be 2,000 users, whereas small customers would be 400 to 500 users. What might be considered small to you, is a medium sized customer for us.

From a maintenance point of view, we normally recommend customers to get a three-year warranty for maintenance and support. Then we know that they're covered and that they will get all the latest and greatest firmware. I normally sell additional man hours to assist the customers as well. That is just to assist by doing health checks on a regular basis for them. I normally sell about eight hours. It all depends on the customer's knowledge of the products. It's between eight and sixteen hours a month, where I normally send an engineer on site to do health checks to see if everything's still fine.

I have not interacted with support myself, but our technical engineers have. I have heard from them that the technical support team is good and always helpful.

Our engineers sometimes complain that it's quite complex and incongruent. You need to make sure of a lot of things. There's a lot of pre-planning that you need to do correctly. if you don't have the correct information, then you can have performance issues on your environment.

With one that we installed, the guys found out that some of the networking was not correct. It took us two weeks just to sort that one out from a networking point of view. Normally as soon as you deliver the stuff onto the customer's site and you have all the information, it can be between two to three weeks to deploy. You will get the customer up and running and he can start using it. However, you need to make sure that you have all the information.

I have a team that provides implementation services.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that you have all the required information and that you actually do a full assessment before you design or implement a solution. You need to make sure of this so you will get the best possible performance out of the solution. If you don't have the correct information, it's going to take you a bit longer than normal to make sure it's installed correctly and performs in the ultimate areas.

I would rate this as eight out of ten.

MoamenMorad
Hardware Team Leader at Giza Systems
Good stability and scalability with excellent reliability

• "The solution was connected to alternate storage. It provides great scalability and reliability."
  • "The biggest issue with the solution is that it doesn't support Hyper V. It's a big problem."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is very simple, and not critical. We use it primarily for the Ministry of Electricity for implementing new smart meters in Egypt. It made it easier to handle the billing system.

What is most valuable?

The security and the cybersecurity provided are very good.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to adjust its pricing to make it more reasonable.

I've been using the solution for one year.

The stability of the solution is very good. We haven't had any issues.

The scalability of the solution is excellent. We don't plan to increase usage right now.

The technical support is great. We haven't had any issues. The only problem, sometimes, is that you deal with vendors and not specialists. If you don't go with the highest level of support, if it's mission-critical, sometimes you can't get the spare part by the next business day because it's not in stock. It could take around one to two weeks to get the spare part. This has happened with Oracle and Cisco as well. I'm not sure if it would happen with HP, our main competitor.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We had our own team handle the implementation.

The solution is very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. We're partners with the solution.

It's a good product but the big issue is it must support different layers on hyper-visors because if a customer has something like Oracle databases that do not support VMware, there's an issue with the product. For a customer looking for VMware, VxRack is the best solution. If I need something better or different, Red Hat HyperV is an option, but there's no support. That's a big issue.

If I was just looking at it as a VMware solution, I'd give it ten out of ten, but without the hypervisor support, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Dell EMC, VMware, Nutanix and others in Hyper-Converged (HCI). Updated: October 2021.
543,089 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Mohamed Zein
Datacenter Team Leader at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Hardware integrates well, easy to upgrade, and responsive technical support

• "It is easy to use for management and operations teams because the tools are in one place."
  • "The installation is complex."

What is most valuable?

The solution has the benefits of any hyper-converged infrastructure but also has good hardware integration. It is easy to use for management and operations teams because the tools are in one place. Upgrading is easy, you do not need to check all of the components in your infrastructure, when you upgrade the solution handles everything.

What needs improvement?

When checking some of the components in the RCM during upgrades, it can be difficult, you have to check and upgrade the software-defined storage because it will get out of scale with the virtualization with VMware. You always have to consider this during upgrades but the process should be simplified.

I have been using the solution for approximately two years.

The solution is stable.

With this solution you can upgrade and scale up your environment very easy, it is used in enterprise organizations that have large environments.

I have found the technical support very good.

The installation is complex.

Dell came with engineers and integrators to do the deployment for us.

The price of the solution is fair, it is priced in the average range amongst competitors.

What other advice do I have?

For those who want to scale their environment, manage all the environment from a single point, and have to only deal with a single vendor this solution might be for you. If you need these requirements from a business perspective as operations management, the operational cost could be lower but I would advise speaking to professional deployment teams before you do anything.

I rate Dell EMC PowerFlexRev a nine out of ten.

OlivierHupond
Activity Manager at SNEF
A good product for storage needs but the inclusion of an instrumentation feature would be helpful

• "Perfectly suits customers dealing with the combination of future storage needs and, at the same time, keeping up their computing power."
  • "Including instrumentation would be a helpful improvement."

What is our primary use case?

I'm an activity manager and work for a company that deals with electrical installations, assisting customers with strategy and IT investments. My job is to be well-acquainted with the various technologies and assist the customer in making the right choices. Options could include hyper-convergence, mass storage, cloud solutions, or big data solutions, those sorts of choices. It's really about explaining the different technologies and options available rather than using them. I'm not an integrator.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvements, I think it would help to have easier access to the cost of installing VxRack infrastructure.

I think including instrumentation would be a helpful improvement. This solution is a black box solution, meaning that you don't really know how it works exactly on the inside. A feature that would include that would be helpful.

What other advice do I have?

VxRack and VxRail are more or less the same solutions. VxRack is a more powerful solution than VxRail. People need to think about which technology will work for them. My opinion is that HP Hyperconvergence is a technology that perfectly suits customers dealing with the combination of future storage needs and, at the same time, keeping up their computing power. If a customer has to juggle these two, the hyper-convergence solutions are okay. It's a good solution.

If the need for computing power is more important, we suggest that they focus more on a Software-Defined Storage solution like VMware vSAN or VMware VSA. Either way, the idea is to be able to increase infrastructure with the best efficiency as companies grow.

I would rate this product a seven out of 10.

JE
Network Administrator at Kakira Sugar
An easy initial setup, very good scalability and quite stable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use three or four modules for the city running on a plant.

What needs improvement?

The pricing of the solution could be lower. The solution needs to offer more documentation and educational materials. It would be helpful if they could simplify the solution for those that are new to the product, so that anyone could use it quite easily.

The solution is quite stable.

The solution is very scalable. We have about 400 people using the solution currently and we do plan to incrementally increase usage by about 10% a year.

The initial setup is straightforward. Deployment took about two months.

What

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use three or four modules for the city running on a plant.

What needs improvement?

The pricing of the solution could be lower.

The solution needs to offer more documentation and educational materials.

The solution is quite stable.

The initial setup is straightforward. Deployment took about two months.

We used a consultant who helped us with the implementation.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

SP
Enterprise Service Manager at Technology Associates Limited
A high-availability solution with excellent technical support

What is our primary use case?

We use VxFlex for our banking applications.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is high availability.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a more user-friendly interface.

We have been using VxFlex for about a year and a half.

VxFlex is a very stable product.

The scalability is very good.

The Dell EMC technical support is excellent.

The pricing for this solution is good.

What other advice do I have?

We are planning to upgrade this system in three years,…

What is our primary use case?

We use VxFlex for our banking applications.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is high availability.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a more user-friendly interface.

We have been using VxFlex for about a year and a half.

VxFlex is a very stable product.

The scalability is very good.

The Dell EMC technical support is excellent.

The pricing for this solution is good.

What other advice do I have?

We are planning to upgrade this system in three years, but in the meantime, we are happy with VxFlex.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Product Categories
Hyper-Converged (HCI)
Download our free Hyper-Converged (HCI) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Dell EMC, VMware, Nutanix, and more!