Dell EMC PowerMax NVMe Overview

Dell EMC PowerMax NVMe is the #1 ranked solution in our list of best NVMe All-Flash Arrays. It is most often compared to Dell EMC PowerStore: Dell EMC PowerMax NVMe vs Dell EMC PowerStore

What is Dell EMC PowerMax NVMe?

Dell EMC PowerMax is the world’s fastest storage array. It delivers new levels of performance and efficiency with a future-proof architecture that features end-to-end non-volatile memory express (NVMe) and a built-in machine learning engine. PowerMax is built on the comprehensive functionality and proven resiliency of Dell EMC’s flagship storage platform. It is designed for six-nines of availability and offers data-at-rest encryption (D@RE), massive scalability, and best-in-class data protection with Symmetrix Remote Data Facility (SRDF), the gold standard in remote replication.

Dell EMC PowerMax NVMe is also known as Dell EMC PowerMax, PowerMax.

Dell EMC PowerMax NVMe Buyer's Guide

Download the Dell EMC PowerMax NVMe Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Dell EMC PowerMax NVMe Customers

Rackspace, Open Line

Dell EMC PowerMax NVMe Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

DT
Storage Architect at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The technical support has been A+

What is our primary use case?

Our mission-critical environment is on the PowerMax.

How has it helped my organization?

It does what it's supposed to.

What is most valuable?

The All-Flash array Performance Reliability

What needs improvement?

Our operations team would say that the GUI needs improvement. You taking an island-of-storage and just creating another.

The scalability is acceptable and what we expected.

The technical support has been A plus.

We chose this solution because we wanted to go with the All-Flash array.

The initial setup was complex, and we had experienced…
TT
Storage Architect at a university with 5,001-10,000 employees
It has one submillisecond latency all the time

What is our primary use case?

We use it for virtualization and consolidation of our data lakes. We are using PowerMax for SAP and Exchange to run the company.

• "The stability is great. It is five nines."
  • "The initial setup was complex, as it is a complex system and you have to learn a lot."

What other advice do I have?

Look at it. Don't be afraid of its complexity. It has great performance. Data is core to our business. Have an array with our data on it is very important to the business.
Learn what your peers think about Dell EMC PowerMax NVMe. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
512,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AT
System Engineer at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
It has reduced our footprint in different physical locations

How has it helped my organization?

It has reduced our footprint in different physical locations.

What is most valuable?

The health checks and problem solving are its most valuable features.

The stability is good. We never have any issues.

The scalability is great.

The technical is very good. It is easy to contact someone. They have a great team that helps us.

Our performance requirements were that it has to be always stable.

Setting up PowerMax with VMAX is always complex. The support from Dell EMC helped made a difference. …
RR
Senior Infrastructure Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
It is reliable at the end of the day

What is most valuable?

The number one most valuable feature is reliability. I want to go home at the end of the day and come in the next day knowing it works, especially since we have storage offshore.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the rack change. They have defaulted to the standard rack, so our fiber cables are crowded when we shut our back door.

It is reliable at the end of the day.

It is not complex for us because we have done so many of them. We have a lot of people with experience now.

We also considered Pure Storage.

What other advice do I have?

It is a product that people take for granted.
JK
Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
CloudIQ allows me to pull up my arrays on my phone and check their status at any moment

What is our primary use case?

It is for our corporate ERP systems and databases.

• "We were able to move away from a middleware solution for high availability, going right to snapshots and data replication on arrays."
  • "We use ESRS for our call-home, and a lot of times, Dell EMC will respond to the issue before we even know it."
  • "We have issues that we don't know about, which Dell EMC fixes."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely give it a shot. It is so easy. Dell EMC has been so good with us in terms of evaluating the product and seeing it run side-by-side against other products and vendors. So, it has been great. We were pretty satisfied with what we got.
AJ
Senior Engineer at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Improved our SQL and Oracle Database response times, but needs configuration automation

What is our primary use case?

We work in robotics and we need better response times. Our primary reasons for buying this solution are our SQL and Oracle databases, to improve the performance in running queries and their response times.

• "The response time, compared to XtremIO, is far better."
  • "I would also like to see a real-time, graphical view of metrics. I don't know how far back in time we can look, but if we could see the performance from two months or three months back, and how it is performing now, that would be helpful."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product. For us, this is the best product.
RL
Director of Enterprise Infrastructure at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
It has the ability to consolidate storage

What is most valuable?

It has the ability to consolidate storage.

It is a true, stable product.

We have really good support for our data center and compute.

We had a multitude of storage systems, like Dell EMC Compellent, that we needed to consolidate. A Compellent would take an entire rack space.

The initial setup was a little bit complicated.

What other advice do I have?

PowerMax has been great for us. We are doing SRDF/A.
SW
Storage Admin at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Integration using the API for Unisphere is pretty amazing

What is our primary use case?

We acquired PowerMax for virtualization with PowerVC, which is the IBM product for virtualization. We're still in the PoC phase. While we initially acquired it for the PowerVC solution, we hope to deploy everything on it once we finish the PoC.

• "PowerMax, with version 9.02, which we installed recently, has some very good features, such as CloudIQ."
  • "The NVMe integration could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

We did not go with this solution for the consolidation because in the banking environment we have to isolate the various applications. It's a requirement of the business. I would rate PowerMax at nine out of ten. I have used many different storage systems, all the major VM technologies, but I find that with Dell EMC there are no issues.
TP
Senior Storage Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The brick scalability allows us to add smaller quantities and still get quality performance

What is our primary use case?

We use it for all entitled storage on back-end hospital systems, VMware, and Citrix. We will be putting the hospital HR system on it, because we need it to be fast, efficient, and always up. PowerMax will provide this solution for us.

• "We are able to provide storage at the right service levels without overmanaging it."
  • "The technical support is lacking. We are working with Dell EMC to get some better understanding of this."

What other advice do I have?

Ensure whomever you work with knows the solution and you get feedback from other customers. It has good performance and speed, but it is still lacking in training and knowledge. We are only using Unisphere of the performance management and monitoring tools, as we are not that familiar with the other ones available.
PA
Architect at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
The most valuable features are compression, deduplication, and NVMe-based back-ends for flash technologies. However, I would like it to support NVMe over Fabrics.

What is our primary use case?

This would be for leveraging the purchase of PowerMax storage system through a service provider, who would deliver the capacity of PowerMax on a service catalog basis. The storage capacity would be offered as a block service and the utilization of the PowerMax would be delivered on a revised written basis. This will certainly be leveraged to deploy non-critical and mission-critical applications in our environment, in which we have plenty of both at this point in time.

• "It is very stable. We expect superior performance and reliability from this particular storage system."
  • "I would like it to support NVMe over Fabrics, because that is the next item for consideration on the NVMe roadmap. PowerMax supports NVMe on the back-end, but when it starts supporting NVMe over Fibre Channel, suddenly various hosts can directly communicate with PowerMax, and with NVMe-oF, as well. Suddenly, Gen 6 and Gen 7 switchers will be able to help facilitate that particular communication channel."

What other advice do I have?

Use PowerMax.
VV
Senior Solutions Architect at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
Performance, replication time, and ease of use are key factors for us

What is most valuable?

Performance Replication time It's become easier to use Dedup and compression

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see the dedup and compression improve. Two to one is not very good. We should be getting something like three, four, or five to one.

The setup was pretty straightforward. It wasn't that hard.

We bought it from a reseller and we used some services from Dell EMC. Our experience with them was pretty good. They showed us the basics and got us started.
MT
IT Infrastructure Manager at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Our time to response has increased significantly with the new storage tier

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is block storage. We are planning on deploying mission-critical applications on this solution for redundancy and performance.

• "It was easy for teams to pick up the technology with very limited exposure and training, then implement and support it."
  • "The installation of equipment needed support's help."

What other advice do I have?

We are happy with what we have.
JB
Senior Storage Engineer at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
Because of the compression ratio, we are able to put more on less hardware

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for VMware, virtual infrastructures, and our physical host. All of our virtual infrastructure is pretty much mission-critical, and we have all of our virtual infrastructure migrating into the PowerMax family.

• "The PowerMax software and CloudIQ let us get an inside view of our compression and compaction, as well as our usage of the storage."
  • "The initial setup was complex. ESRS is a very complex solution to put into our environment, because it requires external access to the Internet. That's a very tough thing for us to do, because we are a PCI and PII company. We store a lot of data for people which is personal. Therefore, going out to the Internet is not our preferred path."

What other advice do I have?

Study the integration very carefully, as far as how you're going to integrate it into your environment, such as how you're going to use ESRS and the other solutions which Dell EMC offers. As far as provisioning, storage, and use of the array, it's been very simple to use. For the PowerMax 8000, a million IOs is our minimum requirement. We have yet to be able to test that, but that is our minimum base requirement for a PowerMax 8000.
SA
Head of IT at National Bank Of Oman
We were able to migrate without bringing systems down and results have been amazing

What is our primary use case?

We have used it for a long time and we have recently been upgrading it. Last month we acquired a PowerMax 2000 and we have just finished the migration. We hope it will help us with performance and through the additional features which are part of the software.

• "We are happy with the monitoring that Dell EMC is doing for us. They have helped us to identify many issues during the routine checks, issues which we were not aware of."
  • "We had challenges again with the initial setup. I don't know if there was a gap during the requirement-collection phase, but the box was partially delivered to us with missing parts and it delayed the implementation by about 60 days. It was not as smooth as I would have hoped."

What other advice do I have?

We have already recommended this product to two institutions who called. Our view of the product is positive. Our experience has been positive. As head of IT, my worry was about the migration. We believe in the technology, but how could we achieve a smooth migration? What I have seen was amazing beyond expectation. Things have been so positive, overall. The migration process from older VMAX arrays to PowerMax is very good. The data dependency is tremendous and the results we got from the migration were amazing. They were beyond our anticipation. Things went smoothly, mostly, with the SRDF…
PV
Solution Architect at a tech services company
Reseller
It offers a high level of availability and near zero downtime

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for Tier 0 applications. It is meant for applications which are absolutely mission-critical, when you can't compromise your system performance. We have customers who use it across the board for just mission-critical applications, high availability, and guaranteed performance.

• "It offers a high level of availability, so pretty much near zero downtime."
  • "The most valuable feature is its global cache, which allows for uncompromised performance."
  • "I would like to see continued visibility and analytics in the platform."

What other advice do I have?

Engage a reseller to analyze the workloads and do the data-driven architecture behind it. Use the data to drive the solution and make sure it meets your requirements. There is so much innovation in it. They have been very relevant in terms of the Tier 0 workforce. It really differentiates itself in the market. It meets the needs of what we're trying to do from a file level perspective for performance and capacity. If you live and breathe by your data, there are a lot of features in PowerMax which allow you to protect yourself from ransomware and other types of relevant threats today. It is not…
Darrel Schueneman
Manager Cloud Operations at a cloud provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
It integrates well with our existing automation and environment

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for SQL database, as it's our primary data tier. We are deploying the main SQL databases for our cloud application on the solution.

• "It has dramatically cut down the footprint in our data center and reduced the amount of raw disk capacity that we needed to purchase."
  • "The REST API needs improvement. We are a very big automation company, and this would be big for us."

What other advice do I have?

It's a very strong platform for compression, deduplication, and performance, which makes it tough to compete with. We use PowerMax as a dedicated Tier 0 for our product.
DS
Senior Infrastructure Engineer at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
It scales enormously, but it's expensive to do so

What is our primary use case?

Mainframe and open system storage that replicates consistently. We are a financial services organization, so we are data and investments. It is what our company uses to run. However, I don't know that PowerMax, or VMAX, is anything special compared to other products that we have our data on.

• "We can consistently replicate mainframe and open system and have a single recovery point."
  • "Remove the need for physical or hardwired virtual servers to run consistency groups, instead make the expensive array controllers handle that."

What other advice do I have?

It's effective at doing what you need it to do. It's fairly high-powered, but the management interface has a long way to go to be made simple and easy to use. If you have mainframe, you have few choices, and this is a good choice. If you don't have mainframe, there are a lot of products on the market which are much easier to use. It depends on your requirements. SRDF/A is quite good, but even other cheaper arrays have synchronous and asynchronous replication. I don't know that I would look at a product line for this unless your needs are either enormous that you need a box this big or…
SG
Storage Architect at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Enables me to manage the flows of data and not worry about feeds and speeds anymore

What is our primary use case?

From a storage point of view, our primary uses are as our primary storage which provides all of the capacity for our databases, applications, and most of our mission-critical work at the moment. We're planning on moving our most critical databases onto the PowerMax to take advantage of all the new features and functions, as well as the ability for it to grow into the future to continue to provide that top level of performance. Data plays a very important role in our business. It allows us to make good decisions and react to our customers' needs. The PowerMax is going to be where we put the… more »

• "CloudIQ has become an optimal tool for us to get the full picture of all the different arrays, from mid-tier all the way up. It gives us that single view and the ability to launch the Unisphere. That is really is powerful in being able to manage the array."

What other advice do I have?

This should be on your shortlist. You should really take look at PowerMax. They're reliable. They do everything you could possibly want and much more. They have a lot of features that other arrays just don't. We'd rate it as a ten. It has done everything that we've asked it to do and much more.
    JC
    Storage Administrator at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    The solution is more resilient and has helped us consolidate storage

What is our primary use case?

We use PowerMax to provide storage for our clients. The service level is important for the different service classes we propose to our clients.

• "It's faster and more resilient."
    • "There is room for improvement in the replication. It's an important requirement for us."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to buy this array. We use CloudIQ and we use Unisphere, but for day-to-day management, we prefer to automate all tasks with REST API. For now, I would rate this product at nine out of ten. We have tested it and it seems to be resilient and as fast as we need. But we have to do more tests, such as on the replication. That's important for us.
    John Lyons
    Sales Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    We were able to move off of Exadata and AIX and consolidate down to one storage platform

What is our primary use case?

We used it for Oracle Databases. The customer for which we did the PoC of PowerMax is planning on deploying mission-critical applications on this solution: Oracle workloads such as their quoting system and their data warehouse.

• "The SRDF replication piece is probably the best feature. It's useful for maintaining recoverability in the event of a disaster."
    • "When it comes to Oracle and database workloads, data reduction could be a little bit better. Some of the competition, like Pure, have post-processes which do additional deduplication and compression on the backside; everything is in-line and then they do a secondary process. It would be a good option if you could start getting 5:1 or 6:1 data reduction on database workloads."

What other advice do I have?

I would give PowerMax a nine out of ten, only because we had that single issue with the compression module failing. Otherwise, it did exactly what we wanted it to. It wasn't as fast as the XtremIO, but we didn't think it was going to be as fast as that in the first place. The XtremIO was somewhat oversized. So from a performance standpoint, we were very happy with it.
    MV
    Engineer at a healthcare company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    It Has Zero Downtime. The Stability Is Amazing.

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for Tier 0 applications.

• "The stability is amazing. Zero downtime reported over the last years."
    • "I would like the scalability to improve, as it requires additional footprints."

What other advice do I have?

The product is good. Test it yourself. Assess it against other solutions, and you'll be impressed. Data plays a role in digital transformation, automation, and database decision-making. I am looking into CloudIQ. We're not at the NVMe architecture mode yet.
    LW
    Manager of Storage Engineering at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    It is easy to manage and upgrade

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our testing and development environments.

• "It is easy to manage and upgrade."
    • "There are some stability issues that we just recently experienced. We hope the next release will solve these problems."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product to other customers. It is a very good solution for a remote office, a test environment, and maybe, production. It is not that big. We have a lot of other Dell EMC solutions: Unity, Isilon, and VxRail.
    JK
    Member of Technical Staff at Cisco Systems, Inc.
    It significantly simplifies storage

What is our primary use case?

We are a partner installer.

How has it helped my organization?

It significantly simplifies storage.

What is most valuable?

The ease of install The ease of maintenance Expandability

What needs improvement?

There is some room to grow, especially with some of the installation quirks.

As an installer, I've seen a lot of different things. It's mostly stable. It's had its fair share of quirks, but support has always been there to help us get around those quirks.

The scalability is incredible. It's great.

I use technical support frequently. Support has been relatively great across the…
    James Hughes
    Director of IT at CMA Consulting
    We consolidate a lot of various disparate storage arrays into one enterprise solution

What is our primary use case?

We run a Medicaid data warehouse on a massive enterprise Oracle shop. Therefore, we have a lot of Oracle on PowerMax. We run a big analytics for the New York State Department of Health using Oracle Big Data. Because of the Big Data analytics, we require immense IOPS, which the PowerMax handles quite well. Our sole purpose in life is to provide endpoint analytics.

• "Enterprise Cloud Storage is the most valuable feature, along with the data services which come with it, plus the deduplication and compression."
    • "We are very interested in NVMe over Fibre Channel, which I understand is on the horizon. We would like to see that come to fruition."

What other advice do I have?

Our SLAs are extremely tight, and we've had zero issues. I would highly advise going with the PowerMax.
    HH
    Enterprise Infrastructure Services, Storage Service Manager at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is the database and high transactional use for block storage.

• "The compression and deduplication are the most valuable features because of the cost savings."
    • "Since the merging of EMC and Dell into Dell Technologies, there has been a hurdle that they've had to overcome, and they're not over it yet. It takes two to three times longer for things to get fixed than it did when they were separate companies. That is something that has to be fixed."
    Paul Croteau
    Senior Solution Architect at Rackspace
    A huge benefit of it has been the decreasing of our physical footprint

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Power Max is customer data. We host hundreds, if not thousands of applications, large and small, for hundreds of thousands of customers. It's the storage platform for our customers' online presence. What's not on PowerMax? Because we have hundreds of thousands of customers running thousands and thousands of applications. From the small mom and pop shops running their mission-critical eCommerce site to the major Fortune 500 companies running every major database: Oracle, SQL, MySQL, Postgres, etc. We're running the big database engines, and the database is the holy… more »

• "My storage engineers are very happy with PowerMax. They are very pleased with the performance, decreased latency, and dependability. From the team, the RESTful API makes management so much easier for them versus the command line interface."
    • "A huge benefit of the PowerMax has been the decreasing of our physical footprint. We recently did a consolidation where we went from 58 tiles down to 5. If we had used just the PowerMax, we could have gone from 58 tiles down to 2 tiles, which is huge space savings. If you have 56 newly available floor tiles on a raised floor data center, which you previously had to cool and provide power to, then now, not only are my costs going down, I now have more revenue opportunities because I have more space to put new customers."
    • "I would like them to continue improving the management tools and continue moving towards a RESTful API versus CLI."
    • "They should work with the storage engineers to better tweak the management tools to give them improved visibility into their data."

What other advice do I have?

Look at Dell EMC storage solutions. They have been around for a long time and are time-tested. The R&D department is constantly improving its offerings with better features, better performance, great return on investment for your purchases, and amazing support. Dell EMC bends over backwards to help its partners and customers get what they need out of this stuff. It's time-tested and trusted. PowerMax gives our storage engineers everything they need to do their jobs successfully.
    Steve Lotthammer
    Senior Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    From a reliability standpoint, everything is redundant; uptime is six or seven nines

What is our primary use case?

Typically, when we are doing PowerMax, it is for applications that we need maximum performance, but also maximum reliability. So, Dell EMC has a lot of other products that can do very high performance, but there are not a lot of other products in the market that can reach the reliability and the availability that PowerMax can. The use case goes back to when you need that ultimate uptime, where you can't ever have an application go down. We see this a lot in healthcare applications. We also see a lot of miscellaneous other database applications that need to be up all the time for running web… more »

• "Uptime by far is the most important thing, and also the replication ability (SRDF). Most of the customers who need this type of availability also want the protection of multiple data centers, and it is able to easily switchover workloads to their other data centers."
    • "I hear from people on my team that they would like improved reporting. While there are some decent tools for doing reporting, they would like to see a lot more built-in functionality. This way when they are logged into the interface everyday doing basic management tasks, they could also see some statistics on what is their storage pool usage and will be their projected usage with their current data growth. They want to be able to see more detailed stats on how they are using the system and have forecasting."

What other advice do I have?

We do a lot of managed services. Where we get a lot of use from the data is we gather a ton of statistical data about our customers: How they're growing and using their own data. Therefore, we have a lot of metadata about our own customers that we have to sort through. From a consolidation standpoint, it's nice to have all of that in one place. It comes back to performance. We have to be able to pull from a lot of different customers, and do it simultaneously. I find that PowerMax is improving performance for workloads, like VMware, SAP, Oracle, and SQL Databases.
    Tom Dennis
    IT Applications Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The data reduction has been very impressive

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is blocked storage.

• "The smaller footprint of the device has been really nice. We have gone from eight bays to one bay. Having one floor tile in our data center has been pretty awesome. A lot less power and HVAC cooling is being consumed."
    • "There are definitely some improvements that can be made to the CloudIQ."

What other advice do I have?

The new version of the Unisphere Solution Enabler is really good. It is a very straightforward workhorse of our block storage portfolio. It is one of the best block storage arrays out there. It is a very solid machine that has been around.
    Jean Gabriel Dick
    IT Infrastructure at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Outstanding Performance, Data Compression, and Visibility with CloudIQ.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is data storage, compression, encryption, all in one device. So we need all those things.

• "We're consolidating two to three arrays down to one which means that our data center footprint has decreased by like 90%. So we're saving 90% of our space, and it also is much better on power and everything else in our data center. And on top of that, the performance is much, much better than our older arrays."
    • "The most valuable feature is the performance and compression. The most useful tool is CloudIQ."
    • "We've had a couple of little things come up, but for the most part, they've been pretty stable."

What other advice do I have?

From what I've heard people seem to think that the cost of the array is prohibitive. And I would tell them to look at the ROI and do their cost analysis on it because from what I've found, cost per gigabyte is much lower than what it was for previous arrays as well as the overall cost of ownership in the reduction of the footprint in the data center is enormous. On a scale from one to ten, one being the worst and ten being the best, I would rate the product an eight or nine. So far it's been great.