Dell EMC PowerPath OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dell EMC PowerPath is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Storage Software tools. It is most often compared to Pure Storage FlashArray: Dell EMC PowerPath vs Pure Storage FlashArray

What is Dell EMC PowerPath?

EMC PowerPath: Host-based software for automated data path management, failover and recovery, and optimized load balancing. PowerPath automates, standardizes, and optimizes data paths in physical and virtual environments as well as cloud deployments to deliver high availability and performance.

AUTOMATE FAILOVER/RECOVERY

PowerPath automates data path failover and recovery to ensure applications are always available and remain operational.

OPTIMIZE LOAD BALANCING

Adjust I/O paths constantly to leverage all available data paths and to monitor and rebalance the dynamic environment for the best application performance.

STANDARDIZE PATH MANAGEMENT

Simplify and standardize data path management across heterogeneous physical and virtual environments as well as cloud deployments.

Dell EMC PowerPath is also known as PowerPath.

Dell EMC PowerPath Buyer's Guide

Download the Dell EMC PowerPath Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Dell EMC PowerPath Customers

Healthcare Residential Service Company

Dell EMC PowerPath Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dell EMC PowerPath pricing:
  • "The price of the solution is fair."

EMC PowerPath Software Reviews

SL
Manager, Storage and Virtualization Infrastructure at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Powerful and mature but still has bugs to work out

• "It provides a high availability and will increase the performance of any server or operating system."
  • "Although PowerPath is very mature and has been on the market for more than 15 years there are still a lot of bugs that have been profiled with PowerPath, specifically, during any OS upgrade."

What is our primary use case?

Dell EMC PowerPath is a multipathing software which connects to the back-end storage. It provides a high availability and will increase the performance of any server or operating system.

What is most valuable?

They are two different multipathing softwares which come with hypervisors or operating systems, which are native multipathing software. Apart from that, we have EMC PowerPath, which comes with Dell EMC storages, EMC, VMAX, Aternity or VNX. There are different varieties of storage in the market for Dell products. This multipathing software has certain features which we normally don't have on native multipathing software, especially in terms of load balancing and the way it captures the IO metrics and boosts the performance of different operating systems. This is something very specific to it and it has the flexibility apart from this multipathing capability.

PowerPath also acts as a PowerPath migration software. For example, if I want to migrate any OS that's currently running on a different EMC product, PowerPath has the capability to act as a centralized software to migrate the operating system from one storage to the another EMC storage, but remain in the EMC portfolio. EMC has different portfolios, like the VMAX, VNX, and Unity. So with this one single software I will be able to migrate data from one storage to another storage.

What needs improvement?

Although PowerPath is very mature and has been on the market for more than 15 years there are still a lot of bugs that have been profiled with PowerPath, specifically during any OS upgrade. In certain cases PowerPath doesn't have the capability to do an automatic scanning of discs. Also PowerPath is very specific to EMC portfolios and very few other products on the market. It is not wide open for the other vendors in the market. And EMC has competitors like HP, Hitachi, IBM, and Pure Storage. There are a lot of other competitors for EMC storages, but PowerPath doesn't have the capability to support a wide variety of storages in the market, it only works with specific products. I felt that being in the market for more than 15 years it should the capability and have matured enough to support the various products in the market. This is what I feel needs improvement.

Specifically, they have to open their compatibility with other products in the market. That is what I would see improved first.

Additionally, let's say a customer is moving towards a private cloud. How is PowerPath going to play a role? They need to educate the customers with what the product can do.

I have been using Dell EMC PowerPath for more than 10 years now.

From the stability point of view, yes it is stable, but not a 100%. I would rank the stability three out of five because it still needs certain improvements going forward.

I don't know how I can put the scalability in perspective because it depends on the license. It's based on the host-based license. For example, if you bought licensing for a hundred hosts, one single license is unlimited so you can place it on any number of operating systems. It's not license specific so it is scalable.

The technical support is pretty good with EMC.

PowerPath doesn't play as a major role as in earlier times. Now, with a lot of competitors in the market PowerPath doesn't play a key role on costing because it comes along with the storages that customers buy. So it doesn't involve a huge amount of cost when the customer buys the software.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate Dell EMC PowerPath a seven out of 10.

I would definitely recommend EMC PowerPath, there's no doubt. But what I would suggest is if you're going with EMC hardware, then definitely go with EMC PowerPath. If not, then I would definitely suggest to go with the native.

VM
Vice President - Digital Technology at MSPL Limited
Good interface, scalable, but lacking technical support availability

What is most valuable?

The user interface is good.

I have been using this solution for five years.

The solution is scalable.

The technical support is good but they are not available all the time.

The installation is easy.

The price of the solution is fair.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Dell EMC PowerPath a seven out of ten.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is good.

I have been using this solution for five years.

The solution is scalable.

The technical support is good but they are not available all the time.

The installation is easy.

The price of the solution is fair.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Dell EMC PowerPath a seven out of ten.