Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Deduplication Software. It is most often compared to HPE StoreOnce: Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) vs HPE StoreOnce

What is Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain)?
EMC Data Domain deduplication storage systems continue to revolutionize disk backup, archiving, and disaster recovery with high-speed, inline deduplication. EMC Data Domain Operating System is intelligence behind EMC Data Domain deduplication storage systems. DD OS powers the industry's most efficient, scalable, reliable, cloud-ready protection storage platform.

Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) is also known as DataDomain, Dell EMC Data Domain, PowerProtect Data Domain.

Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) Buyer's Guide

Download the Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) Customers
The US Army, City of Houston, Lloyds TSB, TiVo, Teck, Ingram Entertainment, The New York Mets
Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) pricing:
  • "It could be more competitively priced. Its licensing was for five years. Obviously, the support will get renewed at some stage, but that's it."
  • "Its price is reasonable."

AC
Professional Services - Data Protection Consultant at S&T Romania
Very scalable, integrates well with other solutions, and has good security

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for storage.

• "The solution is very scalable."
  • "The price could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

Dell Avamar is a very good product. We've used it in the past when it was, let's say, one of the first solutions. I believe they offer duplication. Whenever Avamar came on the market, it was a revolutionary application. Right now, however, due to other software solutions not only for Dell EMC but for Avamar, it makes everything very good and also very bad from the sales point of view. With aggressive marketing of products, clients may request the wrong product. Avamar isn't well-positioned in Romania right now. Data Domain is better. When clients ask for certain other products, we try to steer…
Sufyan Khan
Head of Operations at New Horizon Computer
Great deduplication, robust hardware, and extremely reliable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for backup purposes.

• "The hardware can operate in high temperatures, in case of any disaster."
  • "First-time integrations are difficult in NetWorker. NetWorker software needs to be simplified. It's very complex."

What other advice do I have?

We are doing multiple POCs right now. We have already installed it in the banks of Pakistan. We are providing solution architects, support, deployment, and residential services. In early deployments you need to size the backup solution properly and then design it, create it, and export it. Early on, we are sure to always have a delivery of that statement. After delivery, my engineers will be aligned with the Dell EMC CPU, who makes the PDQ chain. That way, we can always patch the required IPs and do those backups as well. We always deploy the bank's backup software, and we'll do the patches…
Learn what your peers think about Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,114 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MG
Pre-Sales and Technical Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
We use it to protect our file and email servers. It provides excellent deduplication features.

What is our primary use case?

We as a company use this product to protect our information. We have Data Domain combined NetWorker for our own company, and we also install and provide services around those solutions to our customers. In our company, Dell Data Domain is used to protect our servers (on-premises), where the most important servers for us are the File Server and the eMail server. The Dell Data Domain we have It´s combined with Dell NetWorker as the backup software. The Data Domain works as the repository of the information, taking advantage of the duplication and all the features that it has. We are getting… more »

• "The feature that I have found most useful is its data duplication."
  • "When you use Data Domain, you have to have at least 20% free space so it can work properly. Sometimes we struggle with that, because we wanted to use all the free space, but then Data Domain becomes really slow. I understand that 20% is needed to process all the data, and doing the duplication and compression and all that, but it would be a big improvement if they did not require that 20%, because it is just too much to have available."

What other advice do I have?

The main consideration for anyone interested in Dell EMC Data Domain is to have a good initial sizing. The planning part at the beginning of the project is the most important. On a scale of one to ten, I would give Dell EMC PowerProtect Data Domain a nine.
Chris Childerhose
Lead Infrastructure Architect at ThinkON
ExpertTop 5
The Deduplication and Compression are the most valuable. The processing capabilities (version DD670) could be improved.

What is our primary use case?

The Data Domain serves as our primary backup device used with Veeam. It is used for all service backups and restores.

What other advice do I have?

Review the newer versions of the device and evaluate them if possible. You will get great benefit for backups.
Michel Taung
System Engineer for Business Solution Department at PT. Mastersystem Infotama
Good performance, stable, and responsive technical support

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we use the Dell EMC PowerProtect DD to provide service for our clients. It is used to provide backups for VMware environments.

• "The most valuable feature is the performance because you can back up data really quickly."
  • "I would like to see better integration and support for backing up to cloud providers such as Alibaba Cloud."

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good backup product and we are happy with the performance. I would recommend this product to customers. I think that it has better performance than Commvault HyperScale. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
ML
Owner at a construction company with 5,001-10,000 employees
MSP
Good deduplication, good support, and easily scalable

What is our primary use case?

We are just using it for backing up the workloads using Avamar. We are using its latest version.

• "It works within backup windows and has got good deduplication."
  • "It can probably have integration with other OEMs. It should also have more features for ransomware protection."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I would rate Dell EMC PowerProtect DD a nine out of 10.
Khalid El Harchi
Head of IT Production Department at a government with 10,001+ employees
Very fast, simple, and excellent support

What is our primary use case?

We use it for backup.

What is most valuable?

It is very fast as compared to the other competitors. Its simplicity and bit rate are also valuable. It takes less time if we compare it with the old solution that we have.

What needs improvement?

Its management can be improved.

I have been using this solution for five years.

It is scalable. It gives the possibility for extension. You can add to the existing units.

They are excellent. We have access to them, and they respond immediately and provide the required solution. Their solutions are valuable and effective.

What's my experience with pricing,

Download our free Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.