Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Disk Based Backup Systems. It is most often compared to HPE StoreOnce: Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) vs HPE StoreOnce

What is Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain)?
EMC Data Domain deduplication storage systems continue to revolutionize disk backup, archiving, and disaster recovery with high-speed, inline deduplication. EMC Data Domain Operating System is intelligence behind EMC Data Domain deduplication storage systems. DD OS powers the industry's most efficient, scalable, reliable, cloud-ready protection storage platform.

Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) is also known as DataDomain, Dell EMC Data Domain, PowerProtect Data Domain.

Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) Buyer's Guide

Download the Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) Customers
The US Army, City of Houston, Lloyds TSB, TiVo, Teck, Ingram Entertainment, The New York Mets
Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) pricing:
  • "It could be more competitively priced. Its licensing was for five years. Obviously, the support will get renewed at some stage, but that's it."
  • "Its price is reasonable."

Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) Reviews

AC
Professional Services - Data Protection Consultant at S&T Romania
Very scalable, integrates well with other solutions, and has good security

• "The solution is very scalable."
  • "The price could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for storage.

What is most valuable?

The solution integrates well with our VM.

I like the hardware and the software together.

Based on what we have achieved in our environments on the bank's telecom, it's the best product. We have it installed with Dell EMC protection suite, NetWorker, but also with VM. There are many cases where we integrated with IBM TSM as a VTL.

The best point is the duplication encryption and disaster recovery replication. The network replication's software has network verification where the product can not offer it. We use nothing for Data Domain replication. And when we use NetWorker, we use prone console application. With VM, also we use replication under the Data Domain application instead of copying the data from the VM.

The solution is very scalable.

The product offers excellent security.

What needs improvement?

The price could be improved.

Technically speaking, the solution is okay. It's not perfect. We have to remember that it's a backup appliance. A storage appliance is not primary service. Let's say in a standard configuration you have only one controller, you don't have high visibility. We have installations on higher-visibility on one environment when one bank says, "We want a controller, doesn't matter how much it costs." We explain that something that is not the main storage is not production. " It's not primary storage, however, it can be used for different environments. Let's say to use it as the NFS or VMware deployment.

Dell is improving the product all of the time, actually. There were a lot of improvements from version 7.3 to 7.4 for example.

I've worked with the solution on and off since 2009 and I've watched it evolved from a small backup appliance to what it is now. They've done very well with it.

I've been working with the solution since at least 2009.

In terms of stability, it depends on who is using it. When our customers use it via IP, now, almost everybody has 10G. When they use the application, they have at least one gigabit for the application. Data Domain is capable of using smaller bandwidth and therefore I haven't had any complaints regarding how it's working. The main problem is not the backup, its costs vary.

The data has to get duplicated in blocks and sent across the network. It's optimized in such a way where when you bring back the data there is a process that will take place in the memory or the system in order together that data and compose the file. Then it will take it back to the network to where it will need to be stored. We have a fiber cable, so we are okay. We don't have a problem with this. However, smaller bandwidths may face issues.

The scalability of the solution is excellent.

We can start from many minimal configurations for SMB customers and we can scale it out for big a environment, for example, for different bank clients. It's suitable for all environments. It works well with other solutions as well, such as VM or TSM.

Any company can work with it and any company can expand it to fit their needs.

Dell works with partners in order to provide technical support, and as partners, we often troubleshoot for our clients. We are sent alerts the moment a ticket is opened and so we are able to see if there are problems happening right away. When it comes to hardware, we'll be able to see what parts get dispatched and we can follow everything. From a hardware perspective, support works very well and is very transparent.

From a software perspective, that's handled by a different team. If we have problems we can't fix we can apply for help to the software team. They can release patches and can inform us if an upgrade is mandatory in order to fix an issue. They are also very helpful and responsive.

Overall, I would say we are quite pleased with the level of service we receive from Dell.

The initial setup is not complex. It's very straightforward. If you have a serial port opened up, and you configure the management port fees, first on the licensing, then it's really straightforward. However, if you have a different configuration, it may be a bit more challenging. Even so, it's not that complicated. It's 90% straightforward. If somebody is not comfortable with the console, they can use a web interface and it's fine.

What other advice do I have?

Dell Avamar is a very good product. We've used it in the past when it was, let's say, one of the first solutions. I believe they offer duplication. Whenever Avamar came on the market, it was a revolutionary application. Right now, however, due to other software solutions not only for Dell EMC but for Avamar, it makes everything very good and also very bad from the sales point of view.

With aggressive marketing of products, clients may request the wrong product. Avamar isn't well-positioned in Romania right now. Data Domain is better. When clients ask for certain other products, we try to steer them to Data Domain.

Depending on the customer's needs, Dell can fit into all environments. If you want to have a very good backup appliance, then choose Data Domain because it will fit in almost everywhere. I don't think I know of another solution in which somebody can have a backup project or data protection where this product will not fit.

Technically speaking, I cannot make a comparison with other products, as this solution can fit almost everywhere.

I recommend better sizing to the client. That's important. Customers need to take into consideration their needs very, very well so they don't end up with too small of a product. It's better to go a bit bigger if it will fit the budget. Of course, the technical requirements need to be addressed. Data Domain integrates well with other products. It's something to consider.

Overall, I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

Sufyan Khan
CTO at New Horizon Computers
Great deduplication, robust hardware, and extremely reliable

• "The hardware can operate in high temperatures, in case of any disaster."
  • "First-time integrations are difficult in NetWorker. NetWorker software needs to be simplified. It's very complex."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for backup purposes.

What is most valuable?

The deduplication on the solution is great. It's elaborate but the companies already understand it.

The hardware can operate in high temperatures, in case of any disaster.

The scalability of the equipment and components of Data Domain are outstanding. We never go without Data Domain if we are talking about backup solutions. We always go with Data Domain.

It's a very reliable and consistent product.

There's no match with any other product. It's outstanding. The performance of the hardware is improving day by day and new models are coming with more scalability.

What needs improvement?

In terms of backup software, NetWorker is a very, very good. However, it is very complex. If you want to export on a NetWorker deployment, usually you need to add more plug-ins. If you install Titanium, through the vCenter, you can directly backup all virtualized data. Using Titanium, you can backup Oracle data through the main directly or on the data lake.

The technical support has gotten worse as of late. They could work to make it much better.

One feature which IBM has, and which I am unable to see in Data Domain (or on their optimum roadmap) is the utility-based backup solutions. There are no utility-based Data Domain models.

We've been using the solution for more than five years now.

The solution is extremely stable. You just need to install it and then you can basically forget it. Our users have never complained about the performance and never complained about the consistency or reliability. There aren't any bugs or glitches at all. It's a very solid product.

The scalability is excellent and continues to improve with each new release. That said, a company needs to buy assuming a future scale, as it is physical hardware. If you only buy four terabytes, it's hard to just jump to 16.

In terms of support, Dell EMC support was outstanding. Right now, we've observed some changes in support. It's not as good. Whenever a log is up, we do not get immediate support. This has happened a number of times now. If I don't have a senior system engineer available at my company, and I have a server issue, or a backup suddenly stops due to some application restriction, I have problems. I've had a few incidents just this year, the year.

While the support is excellent, the experience of some delays is off-putting. From 2015 until now, we didn't really experience any type of support issues. The delays are kind-of new. Support is perhaps limited in our region. However, beyond the delays we experience, the service we get, and the advice, is excellent.

Banks will often have Lenovo or IBM. I always prefer, and my company always prefers, Data Domain. It's scalable and robust and far superior.

We've used Avamar as a backup software. However, we find Networker has more features.

The price point is high. That said, they're competing with other products like Veritas, so in that sense, the price is good, or, maybe typical. And yet, whenever we are competing with some legacy type of product, the price difference is huge.

It's a premium product and so the pricing is somewhat expected.

In terms of scaling, the price is difficult to pin down. IF you buy 4 terabytes, it's not so easy to upgrade to 16. YOu cannot add shells. So users should scale up, to avoid hitting limits down the road. The standard of Data Domain is typically 32 terabytes in terms of sizing.

What other advice do I have?

We are doing multiple POCs right now. We have already installed it in the banks of Pakistan. We are providing solution architects, support, deployment, and residential services.

In early deployments you need to size the backup solution properly and then design it, create it, and export it. Early on, we are sure to always have a delivery of that statement. After delivery, my engineers will be aligned with the Dell EMC CPU, who makes the PDQ chain. That way, we can always patch the required IPs and do those backups as well.

We always deploy the bank's backup software, and we'll do the patches for every requirement. Sometimes we use NetWorker and Avamar. We've deployed Data Domain using Veeam as well.

We always do on-premises deployments, which are mandatory in our country. In Pakistan, you can't have any cloud-based deployments. Compliance and government rules are slowly changing. In a few years, we may also do cloud deployments as well.

That said, wherever we deploy Data Domain virtualization, it is a step towards cloud-based deployment as it's a virtual machine. You can always send the data from a virtual machine to any cloud, including Microsoft Azure, IBM, and ECS.

If a company is looking for an implementation partner, it's best to go with a tier-one partner - someone who is Gold, Silver, or Titanium. They will understand the product fully.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten. There's no comparison between Data Domain and any other partner. It's solid and consistent. We'll continue to use them. They are excellent.

Learn what your peers think about Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,608 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MG
Pre-Sales and Technical Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
We use it to protect our file and email servers. It provides excellent deduplication features.

• "The feature that I have found most useful is its data duplication."
  • "When you use Data Domain, you have to have at least 20% free space so it can work properly. Sometimes we struggle with that, because we wanted to use all the free space, but then Data Domain becomes really slow. I understand that 20% is needed to process all the data, and doing the duplication and compression and all that, but it would be a big improvement if they did not require that 20%, because it is just too much to have available."

What is our primary use case?

We as a company use this product to protect our information. We have Data Domain combined NetWorker for our own company, and we also install and provide services around those solutions to our customers.

In our company, Dell Data Domain is used to protect our servers (on-premises), where the most important servers for us are the File Server and the eMail server. The Dell Data Domain we have It´s combined with Dell NetWorker as the backup software. The Data Domain works as the repository of the information, taking advantage of the duplication and all the features that it has. We are getting about 30x as the deduplication ratio. It is managed by the software NetWorker, where all the backup policies reside. We have clients in all the servers directing information from the server to the Data Domain taking advantage of the software client direct feature. We make backups on a daily basis, as incremental backups, and over the weekend we have full backups. We have about 14 servers in our office. Mostly Windows and Linux.

How has it helped my organization?

Yes, Dell Data Domain has improved our organization's backup strategy. As I mentioned, our infrastructure has different types of servers, all of them are virtual servers based on VMware. Once we had to make a recovery and we used the Instant Recovery feature where we started the virtual machine over the Data Domain instead of the VMWare server. Then we used VMotion to move the virtual machine from the Data Domain to the VMware server. We were able to minimize the service failure to 15 minutes approximately.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I find the most useful is its data duplication. We had been having problems doing backups for the file server because we did not have enough space to store our backups. Data Domain solved that problem for us.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, when you use Data Domain, you have to have at least 15% to 20% of free space so it can work properly. I understand that space is needed to process all the data, but it would be a big improvement if we could use that space too.

Just to give you a little background, I work for an integrator and we are also users of the technology. We have installed and used Data Domain for five to six years now. We also provide installation and support services for Data Domain for our customers.

I think it is awesome. We've been using Data Domain for almost five years, and during this time we have only had one problem with one disk. We reported that to Dell and they sent us the replacement part and we only have to exchange the disk with the failure.

We are looking at the scalability right now, because the family of Data Domain we have is already being replaced, so we are looking at changing the Data Domain. It seems that the upgrade will be easy, but we are still planning how to do the upgrade.

Sometimes it's difficult to reach the real experts to get a solution. The escalation process is not that great, but in the end, it works.

Tape based backups

I installed the Data Domain and it was really easy.

It is not a big Data Domain, so it was just mounted in our rack. We followed the initial setup where the IP and the name are configured. After that, most of the configurations had to be done over the software.

The complex part of the configuration is in the backup server (software part), it is not in the Data Domain. The Data Domain was really easy to set up. The Data Domain setup took us about four hours.

Our deployment plan was based on the installation of the hardware first, and after that, the software deployment, starting with the backup server.

I implemented it alone.

N/A

The licensing was not an issue because it is related to the software part. I'm not really sure about the price, because I think we've gotten a discount as we are partners.

Traditional Disk-Based backups

What other advice do I have?

The main consideration for anyone interested in Dell EMC Data Domain is to have a good initial sizing. The planning part at the beginning of the project is the most important.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Dell EMC PowerProtect Data Domain a nine.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner/Integrator
Chris Childerhose
Lead Infrastructure Architect at ThinkON
ExpertTop 5
The Deduplication and Compression are the most valuable. The processing capabilities (version DD670) could be improved.

What is our primary use case?

The Data Domain serves as our primary backup device used with Veeam.  It is used for all service backups and restores.

How has it helped my organization?

This allows our organization to send more data to this device compared to others. It also allows us a fast recovery of files or Virtual Machines if needed being on-premise.

What is most valuable?

I would rate it at 5/5 as the deduplication and compression of the device for backups is outstanding. We have about 55TB total space on the Data Domain which we send Veeam backups to and we have sent over 200TB to the array.

The Deduplication and Compression are the most valuable as it allows us to back up allot more data to the device knowing it will compress it well.

What needs improvement?

The processing capabilities I believe could be improved, however, we have an older unit DD670 and newer units may have already improved upon this.

More than five years.

No issues with stability.

No issues encountered as we added a second shelf of disks without bringing the head unit down.

Customer service for this unit is top notch and they are fast to get back to you with a Support issue.

Technical Support is also top notch and are quick to respond to queries or tickets.

I was not involved in the initial setup of the array.

It was implemented through a vendor as well as in-house personnel.

It has been very good especially with the expansion shelf added.

What other advice do I have?

Review the newer versions of the device and evaluate them if possible. You will get great benefit for backups.

Michel Taung
System Engineer for Business Solution Department at PT. Mastersystem Infotama
Good performance, stable, and responsive technical support

• "The most valuable feature is the performance because you can back up data really quickly."
  • "I would like to see better integration and support for backing up to cloud providers such as Alibaba Cloud."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we use the Dell EMC PowerProtect DD to provide service for our clients. It is used to provide backups for VMware environments.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, they need some monitoring, not only of the backup but monitoring of the firmware and the applications.

I have been using this product for one year.

This solution is stable and I would rate the stability a nine out of ten.

It's a scalable product.

I have a team of two that maintains it.

The technical support is okay. We opened a case and the response was good. We did not have any issues.

Previously, we deployed Commvault HyperScale and the Veritas NetBackup Appliance, but the performance is better with Dell EMC PowerProtect DD.

The initial setup was a little bit complex after the initial configuration when we tried to integrate it with the firmware.

It took one week for the deployment, configuration, initializing the backup, and monitoring of the backup for one round.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good backup product and we are happy with the performance.

I would recommend this product to customers. I think that it has better performance than Commvault HyperScale.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

ML
Owner at a construction company with 5,001-10,000 employees
MSP
Good deduplication, good support, and easily scalable

• "It works within backup windows and has got good deduplication."
  • "It can probably have integration with other OEMs. It should also have more features for ransomware protection."

What is our primary use case?

We are just using it for backing up the workloads using Avamar. We are using its latest version.

What is most valuable?

It works within backup windows and has got good deduplication.

What needs improvement?

It can probably have integration with other OEMs. It should also have more features for ransomware protection.

It could be more competitively priced.

I have been using this solution for four years.

It is stable.

It is easily scalable. We have around 2,000 people in our organization.

It is very good.

We were using HPE StoreOnce about four years ago.

It is straightforward. It only takes a couple of hours to implement.

I can do it myself. For its deployment and maintenance, I only need a couple of engineers.

It could be more competitively priced. Its licensing was for five years. Obviously, the support will get renewed at some stage, but that's it.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I would rate Dell EMC PowerProtect DD a nine out of 10.

Khalid El Harchi
Head of IT Production Department at a government with 10,001+ employees
Very fast, simple, and excellent support

What is our primary use case?

We use it for backup.

What is most valuable?

It is very fast as compared to the other competitors. Its simplicity and bit rate are also valuable. It takes less time if we compare it with the old solution that we have.

What needs improvement?

Its management can be improved.

I have been using this solution for five years.

It is scalable. It gives the possibility for extension. You can add to the existing units.

They are excellent. We have access to them, and they respond immediately and provide the required solution. Their solutions are valuable and effective.

What's my experience with pricing,

What is our primary use case?

We use it for backup.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Its management can be improved.

I have been using this solution for five years.

Its price is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would rate Dell EMC PowerProtect DD an eight out of ten. To be able to rate a solution as ten, one must be very proficient and should know several products to compare them all, which is not true in my case.

Download our free Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.