Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Disk Based Backup Systems. It is most often compared to HPE StoreOnce: Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) vs HPE StoreOnce

What is Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain)?
EMC Data Domain deduplication storage systems continue to revolutionize disk backup, archiving, and disaster recovery with high-speed, inline deduplication. EMC Data Domain Operating System is intelligence behind EMC Data Domain deduplication storage systems. DD OS powers the industry's most efficient, scalable, reliable, cloud-ready protection storage platform.

Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) is also known as DataDomain, Dell EMC Data Domain, PowerProtect Data Domain.

Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) Buyer's Guide

Download the Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) Customers
The US Army, City of Houston, Lloyds TSB, TiVo, Teck, Ingram Entertainment, The New York Mets
Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) Video

Archived Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) Reviews (more than two years old)

MD
General Manager responsible for IT Infrastructure and Operations at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Reliable solution that reduces the time and effort required to manage the system

• "This is a superior and reliable backup system that can handle large capacities with little management."
  • "The product lacks some security features that would make it more stand-alone and integrated."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily used this product as a solution for backups.

How has it helped my organization?

This product improved our system of backup by reducing the time and effort required to manage the system.

What is most valuable?

The reliability of Data Domain was the most useful feature to me. Every piece of data is recorded multiple times in several devices in a cluster. If any hardware failure occurs, it does not impact the data and does not result in any data loss. Resilience and reliability under any circumstances are important to data security.

What needs improvement?

Spanning the time I worked with EMC Data Domain, I had no issues that suggested to me that it needed improvement. It was working fine, and anything I wanted to do with Data Domain, I could do it. So I had no idea that it might have needed improvement. That is just thinking from a technical perspective as a user. It did what it needed to do for backup.

In hindsight, I am aware that there is a feature that does not exist in Data Domain related to the security of the product and the data. A friend who works in another organization had a problem when his organization was infected with ransomware. The ransomware locked up the data in the Data Domain and disrupted the data system asking for something in return or it would delete all the data. The ransom was not submitted and the hack successfully deleted all the data. This is a big concern and no small issue where data is critical.

So I believe security measures are not strict enough in Data Domain. I would like to see something in place for better security.

In addition to this — which is related to security as well — there are regulations from the central bank that mandates that we need to keep backup copies that are not connected to the network. They must be completely isolated from the network. Data Domain does not have any arrangements to satisfy this requirement. For compliance, we need to use a secondary solution.

The only other issue is that the prices seem high in comparison to other products and they should consider restructuring their pricing plans.

We have been using the product for three years.

It's very stable and reliable. I have never had an issue with stability.

This is a very scalable solution. Whenever we needed to we could add new nodes with minimal effort and keep the same data structure.

Defining the number of users for the system is a little tricky because only the backup administrators actually use the Data Domain solution to do the backup procedures for the whole bank as a company. So the actual number of users of the product — hands-on — is around three people. But these three people are doing backups for many systems that are centrally connected to Data Domain. These many systems have around 300 total servers which go through the backup process. Each one of those 300 servers contains data from many users and transactions. In a way, our implementation of this product is serving many thousands of customers, and it can serve many thousands more.

So, yes, I think it is very scalable.

Our experience with customer and technical support has been very good. For example, in one instance we had a problem with the hardware and technical support guy came and replaced the failed component. This was seamless from our operations because the system is highly available and redundant. So everything continued working even with some part failing. But the technical support people were knowledgeable, quick and on-premises.

Before using Data Domain, I was using a tape library. It was IBM Tape Library with LTO (Linear Tape-Open). We switched to EMC Data Domain because of the speed. Backing up data to a tape library is much, much slower than backup to Data Domain, which is based on hard disks. it's much faster in backup.

The system we switched to is actually EMC Data Domain as the hardware device for backup, while Veritas is the software backup. Veritas has its own hardware device. However, EMC Data Domain hardware is much better than Veritas. The golden combination as I see it is EMC Data Domain hardware with Veritas software. Going that way, I get the best of each in our backup solution.

The initial setup is straightforward. For the deployment, it took one day for the hardware implementation and a couple of days for integration with the software. For several days, I worked with IBM TSM (Tivoli Storage Manager) or Veritas. All of the parts came together well and I had no real issues.

The implementation was carried out by my team and myself with some input from EMC as well. That was a team was a total of two persons from EMC, one person from my team and myself. I just managed the team and oversaw the process. I think normally that a technical team of about three people can handle the deployment.

As far as having a return on investment, I see investing in Data Domain as having a positive return. It is reliable and it does a very good job when it comes to data compression and deduplication. It makes the backup size much smaller, which saves the company a lot of money because you are not buying tape cartridges for the tape library or even hard discs for temporary backup to store redundant information.

Another ROI which is less tangible is the time for recovery. If I have a problem and I would like to recover something, it is a much faster procedure working with hardware than with tape.

One thing that anyone considering this solution has to realize is that it is expensive. It is expensive for a reason, but it is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Anyone considering using this solution will first need to make a proper assessment of their need for the data storage because this is misleading. Sometimes managers just make a simple assumption that an organization has about 50 terabytes of data and that they don't need more than this for backup. This is not correct.

If you look into the whole backup strategy, you will see how frequently you will do backups, how many copies we will need to retain, and the period of days that the data is retained — It will be a specific period of days and the backups will rotate. There should be a retention strategy and a rate of change of the data backups. All of these are parameters that affect the sizing of the data domain device. It could be many times the initial size depending on the strategy and how critical the data is. So assessing the proper sizing is very important and key for the success of the backup strategy.

It is important, as well, to assure that the software and the hardware work seamlessly together because you can mix and match software and hardware solutions to come to the ultimate package. Making sure that every feature in the software would work with the hardware is really imperative before making any decision.

On a scale from one to ten with one being the worst and ten being the best, I would rate EMC Data Domain as 7.5. The reason why it is not higher than 7.5 is mostly because of the cost. It is a very expensive solution. The lack of better security features to protect the data is really another big issue.

SK
Oracle Application DBA at social insurance organizaton
A secure backup solution that is easy to use and very simple to implement

• "The backup is very secure. The deduplication using EMC is very good. We are able to make systems and handle random cloning. EMC is a very stable solution for making backups."
  • "They should reduce the CPC cost to customers. The product is becoming very expensive."

What is most valuable?

The backup is very secure. The deduplication using EMC is very good. We are able to make systems and handle random cloning. EMC is a very stable solution for making backups.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to improve its platform, especially backup features like DB2 and other system backups.

In the next release, EMC should support stable level listings at restoration and stable space level in the database. Sometimes if I want to take the stable level restoration, EMC is not available. Only this one part is lacking in the current version.

I've been using the solution for four to five years.

The solution is very stable.

The solution is easy to scale. We have nine people on it and they are all system admins. We are planning to increase usage and to increase the license.

Technical support is excellent. I would rate it eight out of ten.

We previously used HP Data Protector. The HP Data Protector backup was not secure. We used to do a backup, but at the time of restoration, it would give us some issues on the restored data.  We were not able to access and stream data on HP. EMC is much easier in terms of restoring the backup properly.

The initial setup is very easy. Any person can handle the initial setup of the solution.

I handled the implementation myself.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution. I'd rate them nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,108 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Jayson Martin
Data Storage Manager at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Has superior data compression capability but there are a few caveats to using this product for data backup

• "The product provides good backup and compression services."
  • "The licensing model was the biggest concern for our company, but the poor support after the initial implementation is of equal concern."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this product is for backup purposes and compression.

How has it helped my organization?

There are a number of ways that it improved our organization with the processing of backups and saving disk space, but the costs are somewhat prohibitive.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature, beyond simply backing up our servers, is the data compression capability.

What needs improvement?

There are several things that can be improved with this product even though it is not bad.

The biggest concern for us is the licensing model. In terms of feature capability, there are too many separate modular features that require licensing. I would like to see a Data Domain license for one cost that contains what we need to utilize the product to its full capability. I don't like the idea of having to worry about buying another license to do something else and add functionality. So I am suggesting that it would be good if they made the product more integrated and adaptable.

If I choose not to use only EMC products, it should allow me to make whatever integration I choose to do with ease. It is not so easy to do this.

The technical support after the initial deployment and having the service account manager on site was not so good. They should have better means of support while you are using the product to encourage success with the product and that you remain a customer.

We have been using the solution for about nine years

During the period where you have resident, live support to take care of issues the product remains stable because they help with any issues. Without a service account manager after the initial deployment, the support is poor. Because of this, stability starts to become a problem.

The solution is centralized to the company or business process, so I don't really have users using it as an application. I've got one division — a team — that takes care of data protection which makes use of Data Domain services.

The initial, on-premises EMC technical support is pretty good. I have no complaints about them. Although we did have some initial support issues with Data Domain during the implementation, we always had that EMC account manager available. He dealt with most of the support issues when they arose and he was resident on-site. He was there only for as long as he was required to be there. He was very good. So we didn't really have support issues with EMC product initially as they addressed problems fully. However, when we did not have the service account manager resident on-premises anymore, the level of service changed. The regular channels for support are poor and not so responsive or they don't come back with good with solutions.

EMC is a solution we are starting to move away from because of the cost more than anything. We are evaluating it along-side a Veritas product currently.

The installation and initial setup of the program was a straightforward process.

We did use EMC services for that initial implementation and had a service account manager on site.

I can't say I am very happy with the cost of the EMC product because we also have got a Veritas product. The comparison is that the EMC Data Domain solution is more expensive than the Veritas and they have similar capabilities.

We were satisfied at the time we made the purchase of the EMC product, but subsequently, we went in a different direction. We added another product because we decided the price was too high for the original solution and to continue to add licenses. We are running both environments now.

What other advice do I have?

Anyone who is considering this as a solution should study the availability of the features and caveats surrounding the licensing. You will want to make sure that you are covered for all the capabilities that you require. Then, if you choose to go with the product, I suggest adding a service account manager as part of the initial scope of the project and implementation as that was very helpful to us. That sort of guarantees you will definitely have a more controlled approach to implementation and better continuity from your experience with EMC.

On a scale from one to ten, where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate the product about seven or eight. For us now it is a little closer to a seven.

A lesson that we learned in using the product is that its CPU capability does not match its storage capacity. These two things should be more in synch to enhance performance.

SS
IT Coordinator at a insurance company with 1-10 employees
Good integrated deduplication functionality with the ability to replicate between two devices on different occasions

• "The solution's most valuable feature is the integrated deduplication function."
  • "The pricing could be better, but it's still not too expensive."

What is our primary use case?

Primarily we use the solution as data storage and as a backup solution.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable feature is the integrated deduplication function. Another valuable feature is the possibility for replication between two devices on different occasions.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be better but it's still not too expensive. We haven't used the solution for long enough to really know what might be useful in a new release. We haven't used the full functionality yet and I'm not sure if all the functions are working as expected. We are using it, but it's not fully implemented.

I've been using the solution for six months.

We don't use technical support from EMC, but we do get it from our reseller, and they have been just fine in terms of offering assistance.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We had a reseller assist us with the implementation. We're very satisfied with the experience we had with them.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I would recommend the solution to someone considering it.

I would rate the solution seven or eight out of ten.

Kenneth Etsula
Technical Manager at Dataposit Ltd
An easy to use solution with a good interface and simple setup

What is our primary use case?

We've primarily been using the solution as a backup. What we understand is that we can create it with Veeam where Veeam backs up the network into Data Domain.

What is most valuable?

It's very easy to use Data Domain once it's been set up. The interface is also user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

The firmware upgrades could be simplified. I'm in the process of struggling to upgrade right now. The dashboard could be more interactive.

I've been using the solution for three years.

What needs improvement?

The dashboard could be more interactive.

I've been using the solution for three years.

The solution is very stable.

The solution isn't very scalable from what I understand, but I haven't attempted to scale the solution myself. We only have about ten IT personnel on it.

Technical support is good. I'm satisfied with them.

The initial setup was straightforward. I was finished with the setup after two to three hours.

We implemented the solution ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment model.

I would recommend the solution. I would rate it eight out of ten.

Ashraf Ali
Senior Consultant at global brands
Compatible with other backup software and has good deduplication and compression features

• "The most valuable features are the deduplication and compression and the Data Domain Boost."
  • "We have had deduplication and replication issues. When we used another backup software we noticed that it didn't have the same issues."

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-prem deployment model of this solution and sometimes the public cloud. Our primary use case is for on-prem backup and for replication servers.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the deduplication and compression and the Data Domain Boost feature. It's compatible with other backup software.

What needs improvement?

Our customers would like to enhanced deduplication and compression features with Veeam software.

It's stable.

In terms of the scalability, I would rate it a ten out of ten. It's better than average.

Their technical support is good. I would give it an eight out of ten. It could use enhancements.

The initial setup was straightforward. It only takes around fifteen minutes or less. We required five staff members for the implementation.

We used a service team for the implementation.

There are a lot of different models and each one has a different price. Some models require spending more on additional fees.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it 9.5 out of ten.

Adams Rasheed
Information Technology Manager at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Admirable technical support, but could use real-time online backup and restore

• "We have never had any issues with Data Domain. It has been stable."
  • "We are not able to deal directly with the OEM we have to go to their partners in Nigeria."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution with NetWorker. currently we are using it to back up our sap ERP. We have scheduled backup at intervals. We have two DDs, one Data Domain is on the Production Site while the second Data Domain is on the DR site. NetWorker backs up the SAP ERP to the Data Domain in the Production site and the backup is automatically cloned to the DR DataDomain.

How has it helped my organization?

Before we deployed the NetWorker, the process was to have the backup uploaded to an external drive, then the external drive would be transported from the Production Site to the site where we would then initiate the restore process. Now the backup is scheduled, and the entire process is automated

Restore is now done remotely to the recovery host over the WAN.

What is most valuable?

The feature that is most valuable is the Data Domain Boost. With the DD Boost, it takes minimal time to clone very large data over WAN to the DR site with a very reasonable bandwidth. Over 1.5 TB of data is cloned every day. The cloning process is seamless.

What needs improvement?

With very minimal cost implications, we would want to have a real-time online backup solution.

It would be perfect to see EMC include real-time online backup option to significantly reduce RPO, if possible 0. Currently, backup is scheduled at intervals.

One other important feature to add to Networker is bare metal restore.

We have been using this solution for four years.

We have never had any issues with Data Domain. It has been very stable.

Data Domain is scalable, the appliance can be expanded at any point in time.

I admire EMC for their technical support. In general, they are very responsive, and in this case, it is no different. They supported the system without any issues.

I think that the users needs some training before and after implementation for better understanding of the solution. I have gone for the training.

Previously, we tried deploying Tivoli Storage Manager. Tivoli was very complex. The backup and the restore procedures were complex, and the backup process took a very long time.

There was an eighty percent improvement with EMC Data Domain.

The initial setup wasn't complex. It was straightforward.

All that we had to do was to  install the application on the hosts, and provide all of the parameters for the database.

Understanding the customer's needs is what is most important. The implementation was not complex at all.

Everything from delivery of the server to implementation took between one to two months aside aside waiting time for hardware delivery.

The deployment method was on-premises and took less than ten members to deploy it.

EMC did the deployment. The deployment team was very experienced and professional

We had a major crash at the Production Site, which caused a failure to our server on the site. The restore process was good, and for that alone it goes a long way. We don't have to manually transport the backup to the site. It eliminates the transport costs, and the data integrity is huge, so we are fine with it. Hence, the return on investment is huge and its instant.

In Naira it was about twenty-seven million (approximately $75,000 USD) for the implementation and maintenance cost for three years. All that is needed now is the maintenance cost.

We tried IBM TSM and it didn't work. It was complex. Before IBM TSM it was a manual process, backup was done on external storage/ Tape and then transported daily from Production to DR Site. It was expensive, tedious and time consuming. In fact it was not a good experience moving the backup manually to the DR site.

What other advice do I have?

The users should embark on the EMC NetWorker /Data Domain training before the implementation.

Considering past experiences, I will rate this product a seven out of ten.

AH
Senior Data Center Admin at Paltel
A solution with excellent technical support and good stability

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is as a company backup.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the DD Boost and the multiple applications and model platforms.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs a better cloud version. We need a solution that has a better understanding of the cloud. The pricing model needs to be improved.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The stability is very good.

Scalability isn't the best.

The solution has excellent technical support.

The initial setup was straightforward.…

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is as a company backup.

What needs improvement?

The pricing model needs to be improved.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The stability is very good.

Scalability isn't the best.

The solution has excellent technical support.

The initial setup was straightforward. Deployment takes about two weeks with migration. You only need a few people for deployment and two or three people for maintenance.

We used an integrator to assist with the implementation.

I don't know the exact pricing, but I believe the solution is costly. You may also need to pay for extra features above the standard licensing.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises version of the solution.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

AH
System Consultant at ONYXES
An excellent enterprise-level solution with a good deduplication feature

What is our primary use case?

Our customers have a lot of big data that they work with. The solution allows them to decrease the amount of data which can appear over the network and optimizes the bandwidth of the network itself.

What is most valuable?

The deduplication feature is the most valuable part of the solution. The backup storage is also very good.

What needs improvement?

The solution could adjust the size of the discs. The processor or the cache on the Data Domain could be better.

Technical support is very good.

The initial setup is very straightforward. Deployment takes about a week. We needed two engineers to handle the initial setup.

What's my experience with pricing, setup cost,

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The deduplication feature is the most valuable part of the solution.

The backup storage is also very good.

What needs improvement?

Technical support is very good.

EMC is very expensive for small customers. For enterprise-level companies, like banks, it offers a good price.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

We're a reseller; we offer this solution to our clients.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

AM
Senior Sales Engineer at a tech services company
Good deduplication and compression of storage

• "The solution can scale up to one petabyte right now. It's very good for enterprise-level organizations."
  • "The pricing should be adjusted. Customers continuously talk about the price. They know it is a good solution and they really need the type of storage the solution offers, but it costs somewhere around $100,000 and up. It's not cheap, but it's very important for data vendors."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of the solution is inline deduplication.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers good storage. Also, deduplication and completion are the best features, in my opinion.

What needs improvement?

The pricing should be adjusted. Customers continuously talk about the price. They know it is a good solution and they really need the type of storage the solution offers, but it costs somewhere around $100,000 and up for enterprises. It's not cheap, but it's very important for data vendors. My customers are banks and petroleum sectors, so they need the backup and archiving systems. They can't leave a data center without it, even if the cost is high.

I've been selling the solution for two years.

The solution is very stable. My customers have been very pleased with the solution so far.

The solution can scale up to one petabyte right now. It's very good for enterprise-level organizations.

I think this level of scale is still only for cloud providers. It's not for every customer. If I am a cloud provider or internet service provider, I can use it, as my scale is very, very, large. With any other company, you will not need more than 200 kilobytes.

The level of technical support depends on your SLA. You have, for example, next business day, full support, full support plus, full support in four hours, onsite service, etc.

EMC is under the Dell technologies portfolio. You've got one of the best technical support teams looking out for you.

Pricing is related to size. A lower range solution might be about $33,000. My customers use higher range versions with a price of around $100,000. That's the price for both the hardware and the software.

What other advice do I have?

I'm using the solution as a technical case professional. I'm selling it to my customers.

I sell the on-premises deployment model.

It's the best solution for deduplication and compression of storage, but the pricing is a little high.

The solution works with any backup software. You might use it as a standalone or use it with VM, or solutions like Symantec, CMC software, etc.

For those considering implementing the solution, I would say that they need to know their data gross and they need to allow for architecting. They need an understanding of their current backup situation and what they will need. They will need to remember to back up every day if their data is very, very important.

When you are buying a backup solution, the Dell EMC team has an architecture team. They can be used to study the environment, so they can advise on what you need. A new user won't have to worry about it. Dell EMC will take care of everything.

Also, a user will still need to do data protection. They need to buy security devices for their environment. They should make a backup outside of their environment and make sure the backup is not connected to any internet connection to avoid hacking.

I would rate the solution ten out of ten.

Ghayur Abbas
Manager Networks & Messaging Systems at TCS
Very reliable and capable of getting huge data

• "As our organization functions, we have a total of 2500+ primary sites and 6300+ secondary sites. All of our entire backup systems are totally dependent on this product. EMC Data Domain is very reliable and there are no issues using it since 2015."
  • "Dell EMC Data Domain needs to have better compatibility between NetWorker and the hardware. NetWorker is not as good as the other products which are currently on the market like Backup Exec."

What is our primary use case?

Currently, we use Dell EMC Data Domain for our back-up requirements. We use Cisco Nexus 5K5540, as our core switches. We use Cisco USC-B as a compute engine.

We use Dell EMC storage as our core storage, and all of these products are still in use. We have had a very good experience with all of them.

We purchased Data Domain 2500 in 2015 as a primary backup unit. In 2017, we purchased another one, which is the 6300 Data Domain, as our element for the offsite backups. That product is very good. They are both very good in the backup expertise and the installation processes but the issue that we are facing is in the software which is NetWorker. NetWorker is the core Dell EMC software which runs the backups and restores the backups. NetWorker is not as mature as the other products. I have Backup Exec running now, different backup software products.

The hardware product (Data Domain 2500 or Data Domain 6300) is very good, very reliable, and capable of getting huge data in the form of duplexing, in the form of compressing or in the form of on-lapping. These are wonderful products.

We are using Data Domain 2500 at the primary site and Data Domain 6300 at the other site. We do backups on both the sites with these products.

How has it helped my organization?

As our organization functions, we have a total of 2500+ primary sites and 6300+  secondary sites. All of our backup systems are totally dependent on this product.

Dell EMC Data Domain is very reliable and we have had no issues using it since 2015.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the reliability of the backup service. The compressing mode or the number of the backups which are available on the device is also excellent.

What needs improvement?

Dell EMC Data Domain needs to have better compatibility between NetWorker and the hardware. NetWorker is not as good as the other products which are currently on the market like Backup Exec.

NetWorker is not as feature-rich as other products. On the hardware, there is no issue but the need for improvement is always there. They need to improve the NetWorker software.

Three to five years.

The solution is very stable, 100%.

The scalability is there. If you need more storage you can add more boxes of the hard drives and get scalability for multiple terabytes.

We do not have users on this solution, only the data backups are initiating on this product. Any user is not interacting with this device.

We only require two people for maintenance. One is the primary, the second works as a backup or alternate staff.

Overall, scalability depends on the backup size. If the backup exceeds more than 80% of the storage, we need to add more. It allocates space for more hard drives to begin setup easily.

Technical support is not very good from the India region but very good from the UK region or the USA. Initially, the Dell EMC support initiated for us from India on the first level but it depends on the principal, i.e. the partner or the purchaser.

You can identify that the company is not willing to get support from India or any particular region. All of the support we get is now from the USA and the UK. It's very good.

We only use Dell EMC products.

Setup with EMC Data Domain is not complex. Setup is straightforward. Deployment speed depends on the architectural design. In our case, it took around 20 or 25 days for the setup.

We used an integrator from Dell EMC for the implementation. They are the integrators for the deployment of products and their unique configurations.

My team was also involved in deployment because most of the procedure was conducted with mutual understanding between the partner vendor and our engineers.

Licensing is available under per TB storage rates. Another level of licensing is available on technical support. There is a third licensing tier that includes more features. They are expensive but not complicated, i.e. more for high-end users. Reliability needs more cost.

We evaluated local tape drives. We were using the tape drives from IBM (LTO 3) before the Dell EMC equipment and the product was good but not reliable.

The backups available on the tape drives have no reliability whether you store them correctly or not. They depend on the nature of the tape or the condition of the tape.

What other advice do I have?

If they have the budget, then I would advise any organization that the Dell EMC Data Domain product is very good. If they don't have the budget, then go with an alternate solution like Veeam.

As a market standard, data tapes are not reliable for a long duration. Only the hard drive based solutions are technically reliable now. It all depends on your budget.

I would rate Dell EMC Data Domain an 8.5 to 9 out of ten.

Storemgr67
Storage Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
It provides better performance than the competition and deduplication

What is our primary use case?

Used as a backup target with NetBackup 8.0.

What is most valuable?

DD Boost.

How has it helped my organization?

Short backup window has made a difference in the way my organization functions.

What needs improvement?

I would like them to improve on the short backup window as it would make my organization even more efficient.

From 2011 until now.

Some small issues.

Nine out of 10.

We used IBM…

What is our primary use case?

Used as a backup target with NetBackup 8.0.

What is most valuable?

DD Boost.

How has it helped my organization?

Short backup window has made a difference in the way my organization functions.

From 2011 until now.

Some small issues.

Nine out of 10.

We used IBM ProtecTIER. We move to EMC Data Domain for better performance.

Straightforward.

We implemented using a vendor team.

Three years.

It is expensive, but the performance and deduplication cover for the cost.

IBM ProtecTIER and Oracle's Zero Data Loss.

it_user157662
Backup Administrator at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
If you have a senior backup and/or storage tech, go for it. If not, it's harder to manage.

What is most valuable?

Deduplication and VTLs.

How has it helped my organization?

As the cost of tapes start to mount, using the DD box for daily and weekly backups, and just keeping monthly backups on tapes, has greatly reduced the cost of backups.

It is an extremely useful tool to use for example in my case, in a redundant environment, as I manage duplications through Netbackup with Storage Lifecycle Policies. I keep my daily and weekly backups on the DD boxes replicated on both sites, and download the monthly backups for archive purposes.

That way I get the instant recovery that the DD unit provides, and in case I need to go live on the secondary environment, I can restore any vmware server in a matter of hours.

What needs improvement?

1 - Adding tapes to the VTL is a complex task.

2 - If DB backups could be somewhat compressed it would just be the dream product.

5 years on different versions of DD.

None on basic deployment for CIF usage, the VTL and virtual tapes is more complex to setup.

None at all, I have hardly had to reboot the boxes aside from a firmware update.

None, I am adding a second disk box and it is pretty much plug and play.

Excellent, when there is a new firmware update, EMC will call me to do the upgrade without even having to ask.

I have had a couple of hard drive fail, and they sent a replacement right away.

Very good, I had only had to deal with first level support for firmware updates, had some minor discrepancies with the steps to follow, after reading the instructions on how to do the firmware upgrade, the tech wanted to jump a couple steps.

No, we had regular backups to tape and a staging area, but no deduplication.

Initial setup is pretty straightforward, VTL configuration is a bit more complex.

Implementation was done through a vendor, their level of experience was very good. At the time of implementation I have had experience with the technology, but had not participated in the initial setup of the product.

With the increasing amount of data handled every year, the money we save on tapes, plus the speed that the DD allows backups to be done and having instant restores, makes this product the best investment a backup environment can add.

At the time of purchase, there was no other solution that was able to perform the same tasks.

Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
The Deduplication storage Array for backups. Data Domain can acts as VTL, NAS/CIFS shares or DDBoost devices.

Valuable Features:

Deduplication

Features of Archiving

Improvements to My Organization:

*) Thanks to deduplication, backups take less capacity in Data Domain than traditional storage devices.

*) Backups to VTL take less time to finish than traditional tape backups (the time traditionally allowed to mounting/seaching tapes is avoided).

*) Using DDBoost improves DataDomain system throghput up to the double and Network usage during backup will be reduced.

Room for Improvement:

DDBoost function is not compatible with IBM TSM. Since DDBoost is one of Data Domain key options  (it enhance its performance up to the double), it wil be great if in the next future Tivoli Storage Manager can support it!

Use of Solution:

< 1 year

Deployment Issues:

The deployment is very easy. No problem encountred.

Stability Issues:

10/10

Initial Setup:

Initial setup is easy: After hardware installation (which is well documented) you just have to power up the data domain device then run a script which configure your device.

Then you can configure backups devices using webgui and this is really easy.

Other Advice:

The EMC Data Domain product is a real success and customers which have never bought EMC products are now buying Data Domain...

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are an EMC partner
it_user159876
Sr. Tech Lead with 5,001-10,000 employees
​I used Sympana commvault and CA Arcserve. Both are good for small organisations but not up to the mark for enterprise.

What is most valuable?

Fast backup for complex and huge size data.

How has it helped my organization?

My Organisation provides Backup as services. DD useful for shared platform for customers.

What needs improvement?

From a technical point of view, all EMC products have to improve the troubleshoot feature like, log should be in human readable format.

Past 5 to 6 years.

Easy to deploy.

Wrong integration is always the

Not yet.

Customer Service: 3.5/5 Technical Support: 3.5/5

Which solution did I use previously

What is most valuable?

Fast backup for complex and huge size data.

Past 5 to 6 years.

Easy to deploy.

Wrong integration is always the

Not yet.

3.5/5

3.5/5

I used Sympana commvault and CA Arcserve. Both the products are good for small organisations but not up to the mark for enterprise level.

Through vendor team; try to just know how to fix the hardware and plug the networker cable. Rest of the things we had to do remotely.

For enterprise level backup solution – No .

What other advice do I have?

I recommend EMC products due to their stability.

it_user159162
Director of Technical Support at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good product, the technical support leaves much to be desired.

Valuable Features

Data Domain deduplication is excellent.

Improvements to My Organization

Not yet had a significant measurable improvement.

Use of Solution

I used this solution for 6 months.

The implementation was not done with me. This product was already in place when I arrived at the company.

Customer Service: No. Technical Support: Bad. The service left much to be desired, even with the proper support.

Implementation Team

The implementation was not done with me.

Other Solutions Considered

Was not present in this decision.

Valuable Features

Data Domain deduplication is excellent.

Improvements to My Organization

Not yet had a significant measurable improvement.

Use of Solution

I used this solution for 6 months.

Bad. The service left much to be desired, even with the proper support.

Implementation Team

The implementation was not done with me.

Other Solutions Considered

Was not present in this decision.

it_user157944
Systems Consultant at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
It's a good product, with excellent customer service.

Valuable Features

DD Boost.

Improvements to My Organization

It makes working with backup solutions very easy.

Room for Improvement

None that I see yet.

Use of Solution

3 years.

Customer Service: 5 out of 5 Technical Support: 5 out of 5

Implementation Team

A vendor team, they were excellent.

Other Solutions Considered

The company chose this product not me, so no.

Valuable Features

DD Boost.

Improvements to My Organization

It makes working with backup solutions very easy.

Room for Improvement

None that I see yet.

Use of Solution

3 years.

5 out of 5

5 out of 5

Implementation Team

A vendor team, they were excellent.

Other Solutions Considered

The company chose this product not me, so no.

it_user158877
Senior Consultant Server & Storage with 1,001-5,000 employees
Replication of backed-up data between sites for disaster solutions is valuable. Delivers all the time.

What is most valuable?

VTL, Dedupe and replication.

How has it helped my organization?

Replication of backed-up data between sites for disaster solutions.

What needs improvement?

Haven’t thought about it because its deliver all the time.

5 years for customers.

Customer Service: 10 of 10. Technical Support: 10 of 10.

What is most valuable?

VTL, Dedupe and replication.

How has it helped my organization?

Replication of backed-up data between sites for disaster solutions.

What needs improvement?

Haven’t thought about it because its deliver all the time.

5 years for customers.

10 of 10.

10 of 10.

No, it was the first VTL we used for customers and because of its function and uptime we can’t see a reason to change to another vendor.

A walk in the park = straightforward.

Both vendor and in-house. The vendor had a high level of expertise.

What other advice do I have?

Read the config and admin guides for products and as well implementation guides for backup vendors, for my customers, IBM TSM.

it_user158214
Backup Engineer, AVP at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
​Stability, replication, deduplication, virtual library & ddboost are valuable but deduplication could be better.

What is most valuable?

Stability, replication,

How has it helped my organization?

Could fully automate backup process with 1500 backup clients (machines).

What needs improvement?

Smarter & better deduplication, CLI shell should have more options for managing this product.

4 years.

Yes, but it related to hard disk manufacturer, not product itself.

Haven't scaled it yet.

Customer Service: 4/5 Technical Support: 4/5

Before we used EMC VTL, an awful…

What is most valuable?

Stability, replication,

How has it helped my organization?

Could fully automate backup process with 1500 backup clients (machines).

4 years.

Yes, but it related to hard disk manufacturer, not product itself.

Haven't scaled it yet.

4/5

4/5

Before we used EMC VTL, an awful and nasty product from EMC with lots of manual work.

Initial straightforward.

Via vendor with excellent support.

100%.

We have special discount from EMC.

What other advice do I have?

Would recommend.

Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Data Domain is a highly efficient ‘global' De-Duplication storage product that provides multi-protocol read/write access

What is most valuable?

Efficient De-duplication, highly efficient replication, Data Domain BOOST for enabling a level of 'Source-Side’ De-duplication.

How has it helped my organization?

For many clients it has provided a Backup & Archive tier of storage separate from primary storage systems, replicated so as to eliminating the need for tape and has enabled organisations to achieve backups within backup windows and provide an appropriate place to tier and archive inactive data too whilst ensuring it is protected, secure and recoverable.

What needs improvement?

Tighter integration with certain storage arrays or software for even more seamless data tiering perhaps, however the system is quite hard to fault as it ‘just works’.

I have used Data Domain for over 4 Years, designing, implementing and integrating it as part of a solution for many clients with diverse needs of all scales.

Watch out for getting the sysadmin default password wrong more than 5 times, it will lock you out and requires a hard reset which has to be done via serial connection and is time consuming. My best advice is to create at least another admin account immediately at deployment time with a simple password as a ‘backdoor’ and then remove this account once configuration is complete.

No, the product (both hardware and software) is very stable and robust.

In some of the entry level models (DD2200, 2500) you have to be aware of the scalability limitations and ensure you purchase a large enough controller if you foresee growth and scaling beyond its recommended operating parameters as typically the controllers cannot be upgraded in place or without data migration. It is important to get a qualified EMC storage professional to size and design the solution for your purposes up front. However, the DD2500 can scale to 3 x Expansion Shelves (130TB Raw) and the larger models can scale well beyond this up to multi-petabyte scale so typically there are no real scalability issues. You have a LOT of backup and archive data if you fill one of the large systems, however proper planning and design should prevent this ever occurring in the first place.

EMC Support provides a high quality service, however I have encountered very few technical issues with this particular product. When a customer did have an issue due to their backup product filling the Data Domain system (backup application mis-configuration issue) EMC Support worked tirelessly to resolve the issue with a high quality and faultless approach.

I have seen other software based and hardware based De-duplication storage products, so far none has lived up to the efficiency, scalability and integrity of Data Domain.

Very simple, just follow the prompts for the ‘config system’ command from the CLI. The only issue is with the new generation systems initial configuration is via Serial connection, there is no VGA port or pre-configured IP address, however after initial configuration all is very straightforward.

I have implemented this solution for clients working for a Partner/Integrator many many times, I have also designed solutions with Data Domain for EMC… therefore I cannot answer this question without being biased. However the Data Domain system is relatively concise and not monolithic to configure in a short space of time, typically the more time will be spent tweaking and tuning backup applications to write to it in the most efficient manner.

What other advice do I have?

Fantastic product that really is the ‘Swiss Army Knife’ of backup/archive/bulk storage products, so usable and can save significant $ and can save many headaches with data management, the more you store on it the better De-duplication and greater ROI you get. If you archive inactive data to this product you can reduce primary storage (SAN/NAS) use by an average of 70%.

Senior SAN Engineer with 501-1,000 employees
Upgrades are very smooth and support has been great. We also looked at ExaGrid and Quantum

Valuable Features

Very easy to setup and Data Replication for off-site storage of data.

Improvements to My Organization

Data restores and recoveries are so much faster and easier that before, we never have to wait to recall a tape from off-site storage; More Disaster Recovery options allows us to have a better DR process; We were able to remove all TAPEs from our environment.

Room for Improvement

Based on how we use the product, it does everything we need it to do.

Use of Solution

We have been using the Data Domain product since 2008.

We encountered no issues during deployment. Their technical support is great and the product is very simple to manage.

Stability of the Data Domain has never been an issue. They have been rock solid since we have used them. One time we had one of our Data Domains down for 4 days because of a hardware issue. Once the Data Domain was repaired and came back on-line the system picked up right where it left off. It automatically started to replicate all of the data between its replication partner and re-synced the data without any actions on my part.

When we had to add more storage to the Data Domain, adding another shelf of storage was very easy and non-disruptive. When you reach the capacity limit of the model you are using, then you will need to upgrade to another model with more capacity. But moving the backups to point to the new Data Domain is very easy.

Customer Service: Data Domains customer support is very good. We have always received prompt responses to anything we have needed.Technical Support: Their technical support is top notch. They are very responsive and the support personnel are very knowledgeable. The Call Home support for their product usually has already opened a support case for us before I know there is a problem.

The setup is very easy. We had it up and running the same day it was installed.

Implementation Team

We had the vendor work with us to install and setup the systems. Their level of expertise was very good. If the person I was working with did not know something he was able to get with his team and resolve anything quickly.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

With any duplication product, the initial cost is not cheap. But, once the Data Domain was setup, it just runs. I have very little to no day-to-day maintenance tasks other that monitoring for alerts, which it sends an email to notify me if anything has alerted.

Other Solutions Considered

For our Technology Refresh we looked at three different vendors, Data Domain, ExaGrid, and Quantum.

Other Advice

Make sure you setup the Data Domains to use Active Directory authentication. When you are replicating your data to a replication pair, this will make using the replicated data easier to access from the off-site location. If you do not use AD and setup the same account on all of your Data Domains, then you will be using a local account on each Data Domain. The permissions on each side of the replication are for a different user SID even if the users are the same name. So when you try to access the replicated data with the same named local account, since the SID is different, you do not have access to the data without making the local account an “Administrator” on the Data Domain which is not a good idea.
Download our free Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.