Dell EMC PowerVault OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dell EMC PowerVault is #1 ranked solution in top Enterprise SAN tools and top Fibre Channel tools. IT Central Station users give Dell EMC PowerVault an average rating of 8 out of 10. Dell EMC PowerVault is most commonly compared to HPE StoreOnce:Dell EMC PowerVault vs HPE StoreOnce. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 31% of all views.
What is Dell EMC PowerVault?
PowerVault MD3 storage arrays help you cost-effectively address the challenges of data growth with versatile solutions that are optimized for smaller-scale storage consolidation, flexible virtualization projects and high business continuity.

Dell EMC PowerVault was previously known as PowerVault.

Dell EMC PowerVault Buyer's Guide

Download the Dell EMC PowerVault Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Dell EMC PowerVault Customers
Dayco, FAW Foundry, University of Cambridge, Finder, Stadtwerke Pforzheim GmbH & Co.
Dell EMC PowerVault Video

Archived Dell EMC PowerVault Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user162129
Senior Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
MSP
Entry level storage array. Has limited scalability - perhaps below 100 server environments.

What is most valuable?

Extending volume sizes.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows on demand without disruption to growing the size of a volume which then in turn allows a system to see more disk capacity previously this required downtime and had to be schedule out of hours.

What needs improvement?

Better monitoring / event logs and firmware upgrade process.

2 years.

No the San was fairly easy to install and the documentation is good.

Only once when the storage array seem to be very slow and caused VMware Hosts to not see the volumes.

Not yet, as this was for a small virtualisation environment of 20 servers and 100 desktops.

Very good general Dell Storage support is very responsive.

Technical knowledge was good.

EMC AX3, due to high hardware and maintenance costs Dell was selected.

Was easy to setup.

Vendor team, Ultima Business Solutions.

1 year.

Setup cost was £30k hard to determine day to day costs.

Dell EqualLogic was reviewed but deemed too expensive for the use case.

What other advice do I have?

Understand that this is a entry level storage array and has limited scalability perhaps below 100 server environments.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're a Dell partner
it_user159420
Founder / Lead Network Consultant with 51-200 employees
Needs to allow for larger drive sizes but gives us us the ability to have longer term storage for our customers.

Valuable Features

Expandability is the most important feature for us.

Improvements to My Organization

The MD3260 has given us the ability to have longer term storage for our customers and a reasonable price.

Room for Improvement

The MD3220i needs to allow for larger drive sizes.

Use of Solution

We have owned the MD3220i for about 2 years so far and we are new to the MD3260 only owning it for about 2 months.

The only issue during deployment is that Dell has different ways of installing different SANs. We would like to see more standardization when it comes to the full line of Dell storage products.

I would rate their customer service as a 10 out of 10.

I would rate their technical support as a 10 out of 10.

The initial setup of both devices we have was not complex but rather tricky considering they are installed and configured in different ways.

Implementation Team

We have implemented all of our SANs in house.

ROI

With the 3260i, we use it as disaster recovery storage for our customers. Previously with the powervault, we were paying approximately .81 cents per GB. With the 3260, we are down to .18 per GB in cost. This enables us to lower prices for our customers are still make more money.

Other Solutions Considered

Since we are Dell partners, we simply chose Dell as the vendor. The ease of working with them is what is most important and their technical support has been first class.

Other Advice

The PowerVault 3220i is a good unit, but my biggest concern with it is that the unit will only support up to 1TB sized hard drives. This makes the cost of unit higher when using it as added storage. The MD3260 is a great unit, inexpensive, hold tons of drives, its expandable, and the cost is low.

If I had advice to give, it would be based on all the Dell Storage devices. Make sure you evaluate each device thoroughly and understand exactly what you need it to do. Make sure you talk with a product specialist and let them understand your motives. Choosing the correct device for the job is most important.

Find out what your peers are saying about Cisco MDS Series vs. Dell EMC PowerVault and other solutions. Updated: November 2021.
554,676 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user5157
Sr System Engineer at a outsourcing company with 501-1,000 employees
A highly reliable system with excellent IOPS performance, SD card booting options but lacking a LCD view on-board.

Valuable Features:

A highly reliable RAID system with durable high speed hard disk drives. The OS can be flashed on to a SD card thereby giving you more space for storage. I've found that the enterprise support from Dell Customer Care is excellent.

Room for Improvement:

No LCD panel for viewing status on-board.

Other Advice:

My Company has huge data requirements for which I bought this Dell Powervault NX 3200 with 10 TB storage. It was selected due to very impressive IOPS performance and has proven itself. In my company there are more than 100 users connecting to this server simultaneously and still the I/O operations are very smooth. Dell-IDRAC provides a nice way to manage and monitor its performance.