Dell EMC RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines Overview

Dell EMC RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines is the #10 ranked solution in our list of top Disaster Recovery Software. It is most often compared to VMware SRM: Dell EMC RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines vs VMware SRM

What is Dell EMC RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines?

EMC RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines: A simple, efficient operational and disaster recovery solution for virtualized applications in VMware environments. It delivers local and remote hypervisor-based replication, continuous data protection for per-VM recovery to any point in time, and built-in automated disaster recovery orchestration.

SOFTWARE-DEFINED VM PROTECTION
Enables a software-only, easy to install and easy to manage hypervisor-based replication solution with highly automated disaster recovery workflows, fully integrated into VMware.

vADMINISTRATOR VISIBILITY AND CONTROL
Empowers VMware administrators and application owners to manage the disaster recovery provisioning and control their own replication policies and recovery, ensuring that VM service levels are met.

AUTOMATED DISASTER RECOVERY ORCHESTRATION
Provides automated orchestration and non-disruptive testing of recovery plans to simplify operational and disaster recovery management for all virtualized applications and VMs.

NETWORK BANDWIDTH OPTIMIZATION
Minimizes network utilization with superior bandwidth compression and deduplication, significantly reducing replicated data over the network, as well as ensuring replication even with less stable and high packet loss WANs.

IT TRUSTED AND PROVEN
Leverages the RecoverPoint replication engine with hundreds of millions of run hours, extends the data protection continuum for VMware environments, and it’s all backed by the world’s largest data protection company, EMC.

Download the Disaster Recovery (DR) Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Dell EMC RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dell EMC RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines pricing:
  • "This is not a very cheap solution and compared to others, it is expensive."
  • "Pricing-wise, it is pretty much fair for any customer who only has a VMware environment. Licensing is based on the number of VMs that you want to protect at any given point in time. Licensing is not based on size."
  • "This is an expensive product."

MahdiBahmani
Solution Architect, IT Consultant at Merdasco - Rayan Merdas Data Prosseccing
An efficient, journal-based replication system providing disaster recovery for organizations of all sizes

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is protecting data on our virtual machines. Most of our projects are related to data protection and compared to other native products, this solution offers better protection. We also use it for LAN data protection, which is very important for many industries. I have had projects using RecoverPoint for replicating data. We often implement it for disaster recovery because there are many unexpected problems that can occur and you have to find the best way to protect your data.

• "The most valuable feature is that it is journal-based and you don't have to replicate a lot of data."
  • "In the next release of this software, I would like to see options that help to decrease the bandwidth required, such as compressing the data."

What other advice do I have?

RecoverPoint is a total solution for replication data. When it comes to disaster recovery, this is one of the best solutions there is for EMC products. I would not hesitate to implement this solution because it integrates well and has been a real savior. The product is very handy for EMC and storage administrators. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
PP
BI Project Manager/ Scrum Master at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Tightly integrated with VMware and easy to set up, but needs integration with more hypervisors and databases

What is our primary use case?

We used it for disaster recovery as well as migration. It had on-premises as well as hybrid deployments.

• "Continuous replication with lower RTO and RPO is the most innovative feature. Its tight integration with VMware for VMware VMs is also valuable."
  • "It can have better integration. It would be good if, in addition to VMware VM, it can also support other hypervisors. I also want to see support for Oracle databases. As of now, it supports only SQL and Exchange. It would be good to also support other databases."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Zerto over RecoverPoint. I believe Zerto is a pretty good product for VMs as compared to RecoverPoint. Zerto has file-level recovery, and it supports multiple applications and databases, not only VMs. There are many other things that Zerto can protect. RecoverPoint is for those customers who are looking only for VMware-centric solution, and their environments are only on VMware. I would rate RecoverPoint a seven out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about Dell EMC, VMware, Zerto and others in Disaster Recovery (DR) Software. Updated: July 2021.
523,742 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Ugur Ucanok
Deputy General Manager at Clonera
Has good stability but does not have multi-tenant capabilities

• "The solution is quite stable. We haven't experienced any kind of bug or glitch. We haven't experienced crashes."
  • "The solution is not easy to use. It's actually quite hard. If it could be simplified it might be better for the end user."

What other advice do I have?

We are a service provider and we used to use EMC RecoverPoint. However, we couldn't sell it for our infrastructure because it does not have multi-tenant capabilities. It is just for enterprises. That's why we dropped it. I would rate the solution at around seven out of ten. If it was easier to use, had multi-tenancy, or was able to be used across hypervisor applications I might rate it a bit higher.
GH
CTO at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good administration functionality and fast recovery time

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as a recovery service for our data center.

• "The most valuable features are the data center recovery administration and the time of recovery."
  • "I would like to see integration with EMC NetWorker in the next release."

What other advice do I have?

This solution is excellent. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Wessel Vermeulen
IT Technical Specialist at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Stable and straightforward to install, and offers point-in-time recovery

What is our primary use case?

I use RecoverPoint for VMs to for critical backups.

• "It is a point-in-time restore, which is quite handy."
  • "I would like to have the HTML 5 interface working because it is currently not functioning with the VMware environment."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this product is working well but at the same time, there is always room for improvement. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Download our free Disaster Recovery (DR) Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Dell EMC, VMware, Zerto, and more!