Dell EMC SC Series Overview

Dell EMC SC Series is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Frame-Based Disk Arrays. It is most often compared to Dell EMC PowerStore: Dell EMC SC Series vs Dell EMC PowerStore

What is Dell EMC SC Series?

Dell EMC SC Series arrays provide a unified platform for the ultimate in performance, adaptability and machine-driven efficiency. SC Series software delivers modern features that help you meet aggressive workload demands using the fewest drives necessary. With an open, future-ready design, SC Series storage integrates seamlessly with applications and infrastructure, enabling you to scale on a single platform and add capabilities without forklift upgrades.

Dell EMC SC Series is also known as SC Series Storage, Compellent.

Dell EMC SC Series Buyer's Guide

Download the Dell EMC SC Series Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Dell EMC SC Series Customers

TGen, Frost Science, Gerrie Electric

Dell EMC SC Series Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dell EMC SC Series pricing:
  • "Support typically depends on the array. It can range anywhere from $7,000 to a couple of hundred thousand dollars."
  • "Pricing depends on varying life cycles."

Whitney Gray
Storage Architect at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Automated architecture that proactively optimizes your database

What is our primary use case?

We use it for multiple databases. We use it for Oracle and for SQL. We also use it for file systems — Oracle, SQL, file system storage. Most of our use cases involve Oracle, SQL, VMware, and large file systems. I am a storage architect. have a state administrator that works with me as well. Internally, within our company, there are a few dozen employees using this solution. Externally, we literally have millions of people that hit that storage system every day. As far as our database administrators, they're always looking at the storage performance. Some of them actually have read-only log-ins… more »

• "They have a feature called Live Migrate; it's been very, very useful."
  • "There's always room for improvement in the operating code."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to look at the succeeding product, the replacement product that replaces it. On a scale from one to ten, I would give Dell EMC SC Series a rating of nine. Just looking back at it over time, the initial setup was a little more difficult back in the 2008, 2009 timeframe. If that wasn't so difficult back then, I would give them a ten. As I said, that did get better. They got much better over time, but that's why I said nine out of ten.
Ben Jardine
Managing Director at Consult BenJ Ltd
A straightforward setup with good performance and excellent redundancy in place

What is our primary use case?

The solution is used for shared storage for the ESX cluster, VMware, or Vcenter cluster. It's a virtual machine and it's hosting space for virtual service. The primary reason we use the solution is to host the core infrastructure, the virtual servers including file servers, domain controllers, application servers, sequel servers, etc. Basically, the servers that run the business.

• "The product offers good performance and is quite powerful."
  • "While there's always room for improvement in everything, I can't really think of a specific feature of the solution that requires immediate attention."

What other advice do I have?

I'm a contractor and a Dell partner; I help implement the solution for clients, however, I'm not a reseller. I help fix and update the solution and occasionally maintain the product for clients. In my experience, the solution is usually deployed either on-premise within the office or the head office, or quite often in a co-located data center. I would recommend the solution, however, only if it made sense for the individual company. It's not right for everyone and it would depend on the situation. A company considering implementing it should always check their requirements. I'd rate the…
Learn what your peers think about Dell EMC SC Series. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,431 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SG
Presales Engineer at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Very simple to use, it's very efficient, and a customer won't make many mistakes when using it

• "It is just as stable as any other high-end solution."
  • "I don't think the solution is very scalable."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be to get the demo to test the solution out. On a scale of one to ten, my rating is a ten. Simplicity and stability are very important for me, and this solution is very simple to use, it's very efficient and a customer won't make many mistakes when using it. In the future, I would like to see better monitoring so that we can give to the customer an indication of their capacity to upgrade. These kinds of tools must be very user-friendly - especially for those customers that didn't study storage functionality in detail.
KristianPalsmar
Director of Technology with 501-1,000 employees
Reliable and dynamic storage system but I would like to have a broader view of both the network and the system

What is our primary use case?

Dell Compellent storage just provides for our storage needs.

• "The interface is easy to use which makes the product user-friendly."
  • "The connection should be better integrated with the network to offer a better view of the system."

What other advice do I have?

I think that overall that the product is very good for us and what we need it to do. The advice I would give to other people considering Compellent depends on what they want to do and what they want to use it for. I'm going with a hybrid converged infrastructure now. If you looking for traditional storage then I would definitely recommend it. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best. I would rate Compellent overall as a seven.
MR
COO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
A solution with excellent storage capabilities that's very stable and easy to set up

• "The solution is stable; we've had no problems at all."
  • "The lower model, the 3000, should have duplication. It doesn't right now. It's only from 5000 that this is offered, but it depends on the performance. It could be they don't offer it on lower models because the duplication is too much of a burden to the performance."

What other advice do I have?

We are using the private cloud deployment model and utilize both the 3000 and 5000 models of the solution. My advice to others considering using the solution would be, first of all, to buy the full disc on the shelf, not part of the shelf. Buy all the discs, and then buy another shelf because it's most effective financially. Buying a single disc is extremely ineffective and extremely expensive. I would also advise others to look for backup software that is compatible. If you use something and it's not supported, you may be disappointed. We don't use it and don't plan to use it, so this is not…
JC
Senior Consultant at a tech company with 11-50 employees
Easy to scale with fair pricing and very good storage capabilities

What is our primary use case?

The solution is mainly used for primary storage and in more than half of the cases, we use the Live Volume, the Synchronous Replication - this Automatic Failover. Its function is for primary storage on two sites.

• "The setup is straightforward."
  • "In some customer cases, customers experienced more performance or latency."

What other advice do I have?

I'm an integrator. Our company is a company that is delivering solutions in IT for other customers. So, I'm not using some solution like this storage. I'm an architect, so I'm architecting these solutions for our customers. The solutions which we are using are mainly from Dell EMC. I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.
JM
IT Director - Enterprise Storage and Data Protection at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Great features, good compression, and relatively inexpensive

What is our primary use case?

We use it for various type of data but mainly for virtual environments.

• "The solution has a wide variety of valuable features. The data progression works well. We use the snapshot functionality quite a bit and really like it."
  • "It would be helpful if the solution offered higher performance, at least on the back end."

What other advice do I have?

THe solution works well for small to medium-sized environment. The storage isn't enterprise-level. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
MN
Director at a tech company with 11-50 employees
Many features like a snapshot, replication, on-the-file RAID levels, and mix-and-match files

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for daily business and normal IT operations. We also use it for replication of one system to another system. We also use it for the hostings for HANA virtualization. Those kinds of replications and IT applications. We use a hybrid version.

• "It had many features, like a snapshot, replication, on-the-file RAID levels, mix-and-match files, those kinds of things."
  • "Dell could improve the upgrading process."

What other advice do I have?

We're trying to move some people across to some other storage solutions because this product is at end-of-life. I would give this product 10 out of 10.
See 8 more Dell EMC SC Series Reviews