Dell EMC Unity XT Overview

Dell EMC Unity XT is the #3 ranked solution in our list of best All-Flash Storage Arrays. It is most often compared to Pure Storage FlashArray: Dell EMC Unity XT vs Pure Storage FlashArray

What is Dell EMC Unity XT?

Dell EMC Unity, powered by Intel Xeon processors, delivers the ultimate in simplicity and value, enabling your organization to speed deployment, streamline management and seamlessly tier storage to the cloud.

Dell EMC Unity’s All-Flash and Hybrid Flash storage platforms optimize SSD performance and efficiency, with fully integrated SAN and NAS capabilities. Cloud-based storage analytics and proactive support keep you available and connected.

Dell EMC Unity XT is also known as EMC Unity, Dell EMC Unity.

Dell EMC Unity XT Buyer's Guide

Download the Dell EMC Unity XT Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: March 2021

Dell EMC Unity XT Customers

Draper, Rio Grande Pacific, Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre

Dell EMC Unity XT Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dell EMC Unity XT pricing:
  • "We bought extended warranties out of the box because our customer has a bad habit of managing warranties."
  • "While it has a good price to start, they could always make it cheaper."
  • "The return on the investment was simply speeding up our entire vSphere stack, which allowed our developers and engineers to get their workloads done faster and simpler. We were experiencing VM snapshot times of 45 minutes to two or three hours, and it shrunk it down to under five minutes."
  • "Just from an overall power and heating usage, it costs substantially less than some of our existing solutions"
  • "It scales, but then you have to buy additional stuff."
  • "With the large Unity that we bought, it has saved us about one and a half rack space. That's our return on investment on our flash array. We also need less Fibre Channel connectivity."

Dell EMC Unity XT Reviews

Director22e5
Director of Technology at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
May 30, 2019
Gives me flexibility with its ability to replicate to itself

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our primary storage platform. All of our primary VMs run off of it.

• "It gives me the flexibility with its ability to replicate to itself and the ability to use the Dell EMC Cloud as an option. That's always sitting there and waiting if we need it."
  • "What I'd like to see is a little more detail on the networking side. I can go into where it's showing me the replication, but when I go into the network it just gives me broad-based information. I don't know which replication job is actually feeding it. I have to go in and rely on other apps."

What other advice do I have?

Find out your needs before you look at your options. Everyone's going to tell you theirs is the best but you need to know what you need going in, and what kind of performance level you need. If they're not willing to do a PoC then don't do it. If they're not willing to put their product out there and compare it with another product, then don't even consider them. I would give it an eight out of ten. It has some deduplication to try to reduce some of the overlap that VMs, by nature, have. But I feel that could be better to try to save on storage. Also, better reclaimed-space management on it…
Analytic10f7
Analytics and Sustainment Engineer at a aerospace/defense firm with 201-500 employees
May 29, 2019
Our users don't have any technical needs because it's up and running

What is our primary use case?

We use it for replacing legacy storage. It's just a one-for-one. This is primarily for storage and the data aspect of it.

• "We have Dell EMC engineers helping us out and doing some over the shoulder training. They are working with our customer right now doing data migration over to Unities from the legacy Oracle stuff. While they're doing this, they're showing people how the Unities work and the ins and outs of the software interface."

What other advice do I have?

Do the due diligence and look at the details: the specs of the product and scalability. There are multiple series of products in the Unity line, which are very simple to use. It's met all of our expectations. Our users don't have any technical needs because it's up and running. Overall, we are very excited about the product.
    Learn what your peers think about Dell EMC Unity XT. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: March 2021.
    465,891 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    MahdiBahmani
    Solution Architect, IT Consultant at Merdasco - Rayan Merdas Data Prosseccing
    Oct 24, 2019
    A High performance and flexible solution that I trust for our customer's data centers

What is our primary use case?

I'm a data center solution architect at Merdasco and based on our customers' needs, we build solutions for them. This product is very flexible, powerful, and suitable for many environments. Dell EMC Unity OE provides block LUN, VMware Virtual Volumes (VVols), and NAS file system storage access. Multiple, different storage resources can reside in the same storage pool, and multiple storage pools can be configured within the same DPE/DAE array.

• "This product is perfect for small, and mid-range customers who need to pay less, but still, get enterprise-level capabilities."
    • "This product needs to have better integration with enterprise backup solutions and archiving devices."

What other advice do I have?

It's a good idea to add some features to this storage such as better integration with container-based services.
    Gopal Venkatraman
    Senior Infrastructure Architect at a leisure / travel company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Jun 2, 2019
    It is easy to deploy, but I would like secure mobile connectivity going forward

What is our primary use case?

We are using it mostly for VMware and Wintel. It is also for applications, like SQL, which need to be used on multiple different operating system, such as Windows, Linux, and sometimes Citrix. We use it with virtualized infrastructure. We use QoS and snapshots features, which I like.

• "It is pretty stable. I like the stability, because everything works like it should. We made it all redundant. So, we don't have anything to worry about."
    • "I would like to have secure mobile connectivity going forward. This would help me be more proactive."

What other advice do I have?

Everything is becoming virtual. Then, cloud transformation is being considered right now. Everybody is going over there. We want to evaluate everything, and if the cloud solution is good for us, we'll go there. Everything will be in the cloud.
    Mike McCurdy
    Solution Architect - Data Center at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    MSP
    Jun 2, 2019
    It has reduced the complexity and improved productivity tenfold compared to what it used to be

What is our primary use case?

We are using the All-Flash storage for block and file use cases. All of our corporate file shares and all of our VMware infrastructure items for manager service platforms are running off of Unity. We are running a hosted collaboration: video, voice, and all types of online collaboration solutions for our customers. We have been doing it for years and just needed to migrate to the next level.

• "A lot of the Unisphere interfaces are greatly improved in terms of monitoring capabilities, alerting, and ease of use. Setting up the storage and the file system are all just a few clicks away."
    • "It has improved the utilization of our own internal resources and performance across our managed service platform, meeting our customers SLAs."
    • "We noticed in the last release of code that there were some inefficiencies around getting our data efficiency up in terms of dedupe and compression."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the product an eight out of ten, which is higher than I would rate other arrays in the mid-range space.
    LeadManab259
    Lead Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Jun 2, 2019
    It has sped up our entire architecture

What is our primary use case?

We use the Unity to back-end our VMware virtual stack. We run VMware vSphere on it. It's a hypervisor, and that is what we are required to run all our VMs for both Horizon and our internal services.

• "It has made deployment, configuration, and maintenance a lot simpler."
    • "The initial setup is not so straightforward if you don't have experience with storage arrays."

What other advice do I have?

If you're looking for a cost-effective, easy to use solution, which has scalability on a small-to-medium deployment, Unity is a very good solution for this. We are planning to use replication very soon, and we do use snapshots. We've been very happy.
    SeniorDi1276
    Senior Director at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    May 29, 2019

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our converged infrastructure in our VxBlock. We put all our applications on it since it is our back-end storage. We have just one storage area that we dump everything on and scrape for all of our mixed workload use.

• "It is lightning fast, low on power and heat, and has a small footprint with great performance."
    • "As the solution continues to grow and gain more traction, things will come up that will just continue to deepen the integration between VMware, vCenter, and all those other components. Anything in the divisibility there and additional tools is always great."

What other advice do I have?

It is lightning fast, low on power and heat, and has a small footprint with great performance. If you don't know your mixed use case, or what you're going to do with it, it's a nice mixed use storage subsystem. It easily integrates with great visibility. It is very easy to maintain and operate. It is just a nice platform, especially if you're setting yourself in a new direction and you don't quite know what you're doing.
    Rolf Colmer
    IT Engineer at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    Jun 2, 2019
    It's easy to provision, and It's stable

What is our primary use case?

It's our primary storage. It is just for VMWare with a lot of Fail Over clusters. For our mission critical applications, we run SQL, Oracle, Fail Over server clusters, VMWare, and databases. We use it for our primary VMWare environments, with a VPLEX, just for failover and performance. We use it for Windows Plus! because you need shared storage. In addition, we use it for healthcare systems. We only use it for block storage. We don't use any other features. We have a VPLEX for applications.

• "It is ease to use. It performs. It's easy to provision, and It's stable."
    • "I would like better monitoring capabilities: more historical data with more insight into the performance for the database. We now use a separate tool for it. Therefore, it would be nice if we could have that straight from the tool."

What other advice do I have?

It does what it needs to do that is the reason why we bought it. We are not interested in the cloud option.
    See 13 more Dell EMC Unity XT Reviews
    Product Categories
    All-Flash Storage Arrays
    Download our free Dell EMC Unity XT Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.