Dell EqualLogic PS series OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dell EqualLogic PS series is #6 ranked solution in top Modular SAN (Storage Area Network) tools. IT Central Station users give Dell EqualLogic PS series an average rating of 8 out of 10. Dell EqualLogic PS series is most commonly compared to HPE StorageWorks MSA:Dell EqualLogic PS series vs HPE StorageWorks MSA. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 38% of all views.
What is Dell EqualLogic PS series?
EqualLogic PS Series arrays bring a new level of performance to service more of your most demanding applications and virtualization requirements, while delivering the simplicity of the EqualLogic management experience. Featuring six array configurations, including 2U/2.5" drive options with All Flash and Hybrid Arrays, it is ideal for companies and organizations with growing data and performance needs.

Dell EqualLogic PS series was previously known as EqualLogic PS series.

Dell EqualLogic PS series Buyer's Guide

Download the Dell EqualLogic PS series Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2021

Dell EqualLogic PS series Customers
FAW Foundry, AW Engineering, Unimat, eLongNet Information Technology, BDO Brasil, Odyssey Space Research
Dell EqualLogic PS series Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dell EqualLogic PS series pricing:
  • "It seemed expensive at first, but the durability lowered the cost of ownership dramatically over time."
  • "Initial packages include all upgrades and services."
  • "There are annual maintenance costs beyond the original licensing period."
  • "I didn't buy it. It was another person seven years ago. So, I don't really know, but all storage platforms cost a lot of money. It is probably in the mid-range, but you get what you pay for."

Dell EqualLogic PS series Reviews

PS
Senior Network Engineer at a tech vendor with 5,001-10,000 employees
A workhorse that is fast and impeccably reliable

• "It is extremely reliable."
  • "The technical support is very good."
  • "The product is very stable."
  • "Synchronous replication uses space inefficiently."
  • "There is no option for mixing RAID types in one device."
  • "Individual file recovery would be a nice additional feature."

What is our primary use case?

EqualLogic is part of our production database. It is fast and reliable. It is our production SAN (Storage Area Network), so we always use it. It is always on and always running 24/7.

How has it helped my organization?

This product is valuable to our organization because it is so reliable. I think in the past five-plus years, we only had four physical drives fail. We have about 56 drives in that box. We only had four fail over the entire time we have owned them, so they are super reliable. Reporting on them is good too. It includes utilization, graphs, and things like that to help evaluate performance.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are synchronous replication for data integrity, snapshot capability for multiple reasons such as for recovery and also for cluster upgrades. Snapshots are really a key feature.

What needs improvement?

One problem with this solution is that synchronous replication requires lots of duplicated space. I wish Dell would address that issue. It really wastes a lot of space and it does so in a way that the amendment space required is inefficient. Once it is running it does not need as much space, but to start it up you need double the space on both your source and destination chassis.

Another issue is that I can not mix RAID technologies. On one particular box, I can only set one RAID standard and not create multiple RAID sets. That is a limitation that I could do without.

One feature that would have been nice on the EqualLogic box is the ability to recover on a file basis. It should not be limited to a volume scale. I do not know that it should be able to recover files being that it is a block-level device for storage. File-level is a completely different animal. But it would be nice to be able to have file recovery even if it is a block-level storage device.

We have been using Dell EqualLogic for the last five years or six years, or even a little bit longer.

The stability of the product itself — the software releases and the hardware reliability — is really very stable.

The scalability is okay. It is very straightforward to implement and it is good.

There have got to be like 10,000 people in our organization using this. Or that is the number of people within our company and including our outside clients. We have quite a wide range of clients types which is inclusive of retail stores.

Dell has got very good tech support. I would rate them as a 9-out-of-10. There is not really much room for improvement there. The response time and everything are relatively really good.

We are a Dell shop and have been historically. The only thing I would have worked with that was comparable would be HP servers versus Dell servers. In any case, we have been a Dell shop and there really was not a previous solution in place.

The installation and setup are pretty easy. I think it is really straightforward.

The price became a lot more attractive as the years went by. Initially it seemed like it was a high-priced solution, but as the years went by the price, performance, and just the cost of ownership went down a lot.

What other advice do I have?

For people considering EqualLogic, the most useful thing I could tell them was that they should implement a demo using a piece of equipment in a proof-of-concept environment and have the vendor help with that. It is the most ideal way to test the product.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate the EqualLogic PS Series overall as definitely a nine-out-of-ten. I would give it that rating because it does what it says it is supposed to do. It has been extremely reliable and very easy to upgrade and expand. In the past when Dell announced they were going to pull the line, all the customers called up and objected. They actually wanted to buy more boxes. Because of the response from the customers, Dell postponed the end-of-life of the product a few times.

A lot of people use the product and it is a workhorse. Reliability is key, especially in my particular usage for them. The performance is there, and they probably are over-specced. By that I mean the capacity of the product exceeds what we need it to do. As to reliability, having just four drives failing in the span of six or seven years is phenomenal. It is closer to being unheard of. If they were to fix a few of those minor issues that could possibly bring my rating of the product up closer to a 10, but I do not want to give somebody a ten because they just can not possibly do everything right. If you give them that impression they will just stop improving it.

RP
Assistant Circuit Executive for Information Technology at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
This has been a stable and scalable product but has reached the end-of-life cycle

• "It is stable and scalable."
  • "The technical support for EqualLogic has been universally outstanding."
  • "The product is reaching the end-of-lifecycle."
  • "The replication efficiency needs to be improved."
  • "There is no inline deduplication capability."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is as shared storage for VMware virtual environments.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable parts of the solution have been the stability, which it has maintained for eight or nine years, and the scalability, which has met our needs as we grow.

What needs improvement?

EqualLogic has room for improvement but it is not likely a lot will happen because Dell is phasing the product out for end-of-life.

What could be improved is their replication efficiency. I forgot what the minimum block size was, but I think it was maybe 64K blocks for replication. To make the effort to get that down to something smaller — even to the bit level — will allow the replication to be more bandwidth-efficient. When it is more efficient it will not require as much time, and that is critical. Right now, the block size is generally larger than their competitors. Because of that, it takes more bandwidth to do SAN (Storage Area Network) replication than other solutions. That has been an ongoing issue.

Of course, as data sets grow in size, your backup window — the off-production hours for the environment — stays fixed. You have to push whatever amount of data you need to have backed up to the remote DR (Disaster Recovery) site within that window. We have had some of the replication jobs on EqualLogic run into the daytime production hours and that has caused issues. That they need to concentrate on more efficient replication is a way to summarize that, I guess. It just has to get pushed faster.

There is also no onboard, inline deduplication capability. That is probably the biggest issue. Inline deduplication is something you have to do that on the fly. The deduplication capability is key to this type of solution now.

We have been using Dell EqualLogic PS Series since 2011. We have upgraded since we started in 2011 and right now we have gotten to a point where all we have are 6210XS units as our primary storage arrays.

The stability is very good. I have no complaints there. It has been stable all the time that we have been using it.

For our use case, it has provided scalability. The product services our entire organization and we are using this solution on a daily basis. That means it is currently serving 330 of us. From the end-user perspective, it is serving up data for the entire court and has been since inception.

The technical support for EqualLogic has been universally outstanding. They have met our needs, resolved our issues, and answered our questions.

We are actually moving away from EqualLogic. Nimble Arrays is going to replace all of our EqualLogic arrays. A single Nimble array is going to replace three EqualLogic arrays.

One of the reasons why we are going with Nimble Arrays to replace all of our EqualLogic arrays is that EqualLogic is not in a good place. It is not really helping our survey from the perspective that they are in their end-of-life cycle and they are getting ready to go away.

The initial installation and setup in 2011 was straightforward. EqualLogic is pretty simple in that way.

With the initial deployment, we did use Dell Consulting Services to help. They know their own products.

We always do the original acquisition with five years of maintenance. That package includes all upgrades and whatnot. There are annual maintenance costs beyond the original licensing period. So beyond year five, if we do keep an array beyond that, it is about $5,000 per array. That would be probably about $15,000 annually for arrays that we plan to keep into year six and year seven.

What other advice do I have?

The advice that I would you give to others looking into implementing the Dell EqualLogic PS Series is a bit dependent on whether or not I ignore the end-of-life of the product. If it were still a current product line, I would maybe give it C-rating only because of what is currently available and how the current capabilities of other products have surpassed EqualLogic in technological advancement. EqualLogic is really not going to be relevant in the marketplace too much longer.

Having something with onboard deduplication is extremely valuable and also getting the latency down makes a difference for this kind of solution. Knowing what you need as far as features to take care of your situation is important before making decisions as to what to go with.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate the Dell EqualLogic PS Series as probably a seven-out-of-ten. This would be based on current utility and ignoring that it is being phased out.

Learn what your peers think about Dell EqualLogic PS series. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2021.
554,873 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Abdullah Mahmood
Network and System Administrator at TWD Technologies Ltd.
Stable with an easy initial setup and great technical support

• "Dell's technical support is very good."
  • "If I need to have more space or more capacity, I need to replace the product. It would be ideal if we could scale without replacing the box itself."

What is our primary use case?

This is like a primary storage area for all our machines. We have a virtual environment where we have a number of virtual machines and a number of ESX hosts. We are in basically a VM-ware environment. Therefore, we have ESX hosts there, and those hosts are connected. All the virtual machines and user data and everything is stored on this.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers very good read capacities.

The size of the box we have is pretty decent.

The speed on offer is very good.

We've found the initial setup to be fairly straightforward.

Dell's technical support is very good.

What needs improvement?

The number one is probably the scalability potential of the product. If I need to increase the capacity, I cannot. That's the main problem for us. If I need to have more space or more capacity, I need to replace the product. It would be ideal if we could scale without replacing the box itself.

We've been using the solution for the past six years at this point. I would say that it's been a good amount of time.

The product is quite stable. We've used it for many years at this point without issue. It doesn't crash or freeze. There aren't bugs or glitches. It's reliable.

The solution does not scale well at all. It's a box, so we only have so much space to work with. If you need more space, you need to replace it with a bigger box.

Depending on which project we are working on, we have about 150-200 people who use the solution. While it may just be something that's in the background, everyone is using it.

Right now technical support is not under Dell's support as Dell just supports the solution for up to five years. After that, we have to get support from a third party.

While we did have Dell support, it was great. We were extremely satisfied with their level of service. Third party support has its limitations, to be honest. However, we're basically just using them to get hardware replacements and not software support.

We're currently on the hunt for a solution that would offer lower pricing.

The initials setup is not complex at all. It's pretty straightforward. We found it to be easy. We didn't run into difficulties.

Most are very easy setups compared to the technology that was available six years ago. They've really improved a lot of the setup since then.

Deployment is pretty fast. You can have everything up and running within a week or two.

We pay for licensing on a monthly basis.

Over the six years we've had the solution, the pricing has been rather reasonable. That said, we're always looking for solutions that allow us to lower costs.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with Dell.

We're working with model PS 4100.

While this is an older model, and technically no longer available, Dell does have other great models that are very useful. I'd definitely recommend this solution is the environment was the right fit.

In general, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

NJ
Ops Manager at a real estate/law firm with 1-10 employees
Stable and consistant with good technical support

• "Technical support, when we had access to it, was very good."
  • "We need more space and we can't get any."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as an array and as a backup. I actually have two.

What is most valuable?

The solution has been extremely consistent over the years.

We've had absolutely no issues with the product at all. It's lasted a long time without causing any problems.

Technical support, when we had access to it, was very good.

What needs improvement?

We'd like the solution to have bigger sizing. We need more space and we can't get any. We'd love more memory storage space.

We've been using the solution for the last 10 years. It's been a decade. We've used it for a while.

The stability has always been excellent. the performance is reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's worked. It's worked for a decade.

The scalability isn't really there. You have to have the same size drive in each slot. Therefore, you have to trade out all the slots if you're going to scale up, which makes it kind of difficult to do so.

The solution is at its end-of-life, and therefore we won't increase usage. We are retiring it.

While the solution has reached its end of life many years ago, and we haven't had technical support in years, before, when it was on offer, it was very good. We didn't have any complaints.

I wasn't present for the initial setup. It was a long time ago. I can't speak to how long it took or how easy or difficult it was as a process.

I'm not sure what the exact costs of the solution were originally. I don't have access to that information.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users of Dell products. We just have an account that we've used and we've done business with them for years.

The solution has been discontinued by Dell for four, five years. Therefore, it's not exactly up-to-date. We couldn't update it if we wanted to. They don't make it anymore. It's not something a company can just buy.

In general, we have been very happy with the product. I would rate it at an eight out of ten.

Jigar Acharya
VP - Engineering Operations at WPG Consulting
Reseller
Helpful technical support but needs better performance and smart data disks

• "The solution can scale."
  • "The performance isn't as good as, for example, Nimble."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for storage, and for its fan.

What is most valuable?

The initial setup is straightforward.

The solution can scale.

Technical support is helpful.

What needs improvement?

The performance isn't as good as, for example, Nimble.

The solution needs to have smart data disks and a smarter way to find those disks on certain drives. We are having some issues right now where some of the database operations are recovering and we find there are so many IOPS that EqualLogic fans cannot handle it. That's why we are moving towards a Nimble fan and Nimble is performing way better than EqualLogic.

We've been using the solution for 16 years.

The stability isn't as reliable as a Nible device.

I can scale right now. If I want EqualLogic, I can just buy another one and plug it in and set it up. It's pretty straightforward.

We've dealt with technical support and have found them to be helpful and responsive. We're satisfied with the level of service provided to us.

I also have experience using Nimble.

We have found the initial setup to be easy. It's straightforward. A company shouldn't have any issues with the process.

I don't have any insights into the licensing costs or how often we pay any licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

We are resellers.

If a company is looking for any hard workload or anything like that, for example, if they want to run only specific amounts and things like that, then they can go with EqualLogic. However, if they want to put some heavy load on the system, then they should go with Nimble.

I'd rate the solution at a five out of ten, as it's not as powerful as I would like it to be.

HT
System technician at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easily scalable, works all the time, and meets our needs

• "You can always trust it. It is stable."
  • "It is at the end of support and no longer supported. We have to move our VMware to another storage platform, and we have decided to use Dell PowerStore. We like Dell's products, and it is a new platform with a lot of features."

What is our primary use case?

It connects to our VMware vSphere environment. I am working with the latest version.

What is most valuable?

You can always trust it. It is stable.

What needs improvement?

It is at the end of support and no longer supported. We have to move our VMware to another storage platform, and we have decided to use Dell PowerStore. We like Dell's products, and it is a new platform with a lot of features.

I have been using this solution for seven years.

It works all the time. It is very stable.

It is very easily scalable. You can add more EqualLogic storage boxes, so it is rather easy to expand.

Currently, I am the only one who is working with it.

When I need it, Dell provides good support. I'm satisfied with their support.

It was before my time, but I think it was easy to configure. It is not a difficult solution, so it is easy to set up and work with it. The maintenance it requires comprises regular updates.

I didn't buy it. It was another person seven years ago. So, I don't really know, but all storage platforms cost a lot of money. It is probably in the mid-range, but you get what you pay for.

What other advice do I have?

I am satisfied with it. It works very fine for our purpose, and its performance is enough for our needs. It is not very fast. It is not delivering the best performance, but it is okay for us.

I would rate it a nine out of 10.