Dell PowerEdge VRTX Overview

Dell PowerEdge VRTX is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Converged Infrastructure tools. It is most often compared to HPE ConvergedSystem: Dell PowerEdge VRTX vs HPE ConvergedSystem

What is Dell PowerEdge VRTX?

PowerEdge VRTX modular infrastructure platform integrates servers, storage, networking and management together in a single compact chassis.

Dell PowerEdge VRTX Buyer's Guide

Download the Dell PowerEdge VRTX Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Dell PowerEdge VRTX Customers

University of Dundee, GE Healthcare Japan

Dell PowerEdge VRTX Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dell PowerEdge VRTX pricing:
  • "Fully configured, it costs about $50,000 or $55,000. I did purchase a used one or refurbished one. I have been very happy with it so far. Even if it is an older unit, it doesn't look like its age, and I would say it has been a great choice so far for me. Obviously, I would have thought twice if I had to pay for a brand new one because it is still an older technology with the risk of being discontinued. I talked to Dell, and they're still selling it, but they're not promoting it. They're promoting another line of products right now for hyper-converged, which are much more expensive."
  • "We bought a license for seven years."
  • "We are renewing the support and we are purchasing the license for the software."
  • "This product is more reasonably-priced than similar solutions by HPE."

Dell PowerEdge VRTX Reviews

Ioan Donea
Founder and Senior Consultant at Infrascope Technologies
Dec 14, 2020
It provides an integrated way of managing the whole thing and has the best computing power at the least cost

• "From a hardware perspective, it's interesting. The selling point of VRTX is that everything is built-in. For a small company that doesn't have a server room or the capabilities of hosting several servers, VRTX has four blades. The equivalent in regular server models would be four servers, which is a minimum of 4U, but it could easily be 8U, and then it would have storage. The storage is included inside the enclosure, and it would require a storage unit. It would also require connectivity, which would be ethernet or another protocol switch. From a software perspective, it's a little bit more integrated. You have an integrated way of managing the whole thing, including storage and networking. It has an internal network that can also be useful. I know for a fact that Dell is almost fazing out the product, and it is not that available anymore because it will just cannibalize their sales. They want to sell the more expensive stuff."
  • "VRTX is a bit simplified to the extent that it is a mainstream type of solution for small businesses. If a company needs a more complex solution or something that is a time saver or has more power or scalability, it is probably not the best solution. However, when a company grows and its needs grow, this type of environment can be definitely migrated towards a lab environment or pre-prod testing, not necessarily production. It can still have a second life for the other types of use."

What other advice do I have?

VRTX is pretty much an enclosure with power, storage, and other central features. The blades evolve over time because this is a model that was available almost for the last ten years. Initially, the blades were older processors, and they have evolved but not a lot. Just the components have been updated as time passed on. It is a very good solution for a small business because it is cost-effective. It is small, and it can be configured as a tower, so you don't even need a rack, although it's not the best way to use it. It is a 4U unit, so it's not that big, and it can pack a pretty good punch…
Ryan Dave Brigino
Software Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Jun 8, 2020
Easier to manage the warranty than with different vendors

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for virtualization but on the current configuration that we have, we don't have the ability of failing over virtual machines from one host to another. They are all isolated independent, they are not configured in a cluster.

• "We started off with a base because we started our infrastructure with Dell and we always propose or prefer Dell which is easier to manage the warranty than with different vendors."
  • "The problem is with our configuration. We know we can use PowerEdge for hyper-convergence if we have PowerEdge and configure vSAN. We will be able to achieve what VxRail is being able to provide, but we need to migrate it to a new infrastructure instead of changing our existing. It will be much more difficult for us."

What other advice do I have?

We are evaluating VxRail and we read some comments on the internet that the VxRail service will have only one rate controller. However, you have four nodes inside. So we expect that if any one of the four nodes fails the rest of the cluster will survive. So there's no point in asking the protocol failure on those nodes. And if that rate controller fails, then it is a single point of failure. Dell admitted that, yes, it is the single point of failure. So if that rate controller could be increased because then I think that would be a better design for the device. I would recommend this solution…
Learn what your peers think about Dell PowerEdge VRTX. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
456,719 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Richard Artes
Senior Network Admin at a educational organization with 501-1,000 employees
Sep 28, 2020
Space saving and simplifies management, but the web-based interface is slow and difficult

What is our primary use case?

This is an all-in-one device for a branch office. It includes servers, storage, and networking all in one box so it saves rack space. You don’t need to buy all of the components separately, so you don’t need to spec network cards, storage, or server devices. We used it to take over a Dell cluster of servers and a Dell EMC SAN solution.

• "The most valuable feature is the combined management in one box."
  • "Management of storage and networking is web-based, slow, and difficult."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to ask Dell consulting to set it up for you. It took me about a week to get everything working as expected.
Ryan Dave Brigino
Software Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Oct 26, 2020
Easy to setup, reliable, and the virtualization is good

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for virtualization.

• "We were satisfied after we upgraded to a professional next-day on-site support."
  • "It would be better to have a compact version of this solution for customers that have a small office and don't require a proper data center with power or an industrial type HP."

What other advice do I have?

We are currently evaluating Dell VxRail. In order to improve the utilization of the server, then we need to move on to VxRail. I would recommend this product to anyone who is interested in using it. I would rate Dell PowerEdge VRTX a nine out of then.
Deepak-Shinde
Project manager at Mustafa Sultan Office Technology Co. LLC
Jun 22, 2020
Combine servers and networking into one chassis that is stable and easy to use

What is our primary use case?

VRTX is put into place where there are branch offices or where there is a NetIO-intensive workload in small offices with servers, racks, and processors in place to optimize their size and performance.

• "It is simple to use and it's user-friendly."
  • "The scalability is limited with one chassis and the amount of storage it will give you, but it is mainly used for small offices."

What other advice do I have?

I have learned that it is better to keep it simple and to have good management. I think this solution is one of the best in the Dell portfolio. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
ThibaudLENIK
Solutions Architect at Bechtle
Feb 6, 2020
Perfectly simple and efficient for small to mid-size companies

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for the branch office of our company which doesn't need a lot of IT. It's a good solution when you don't need so much IT. We have about 100 users.

What is most valuable?

The fact that you have computer storage in a very small factor is valuable.

What needs improvement?

I think the networking parts of this solution could be improved. In a future release I'd like to be able to increase storage, that would make a big difference.

I've been using this solution for five years and have just implemented the recently released latest version.

Stability is fine.

Gaurav Vyas
Head Of Information Technology at Jekson Vision Pvt Ltd
Oct 29, 2020
Easy to use wtih good technical support

What is most valuable?

This product is easy to use and should not be difficult for anybody.

What needs improvement?

When we first started with this product, we had some difficulty with it.

I have been working with Dell PowerEdge VRTX for five years.

This is a stable product.

This solution is scalable. There are five people in the company who are using it.

The support is good.

Prior to Dell, we were working with a solution from HP and we are still using it. We decided to keep both systems running. The biggest…