TT
Security Engineer at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
Automatic, continuous IT asset discovery is key to our operation; when changes happen they are pulled in

• "The solution's automatic IT asset discovery and inventory functionality are top-notch. The thing I like is that it's open-source. If I need to change them — and they've given me links on GitHub to have them — I can go and change them to pull exactly what I want, as frequently as I want."
  • "A con for Device42 is that Kubernetes integration is lacking. You pay for 10,000 spot licenses and if you're spinning up a Kubernetes cluster, or four or five or six Kubernetes clusters like we do, you're going to have 5,000 or 6,000 nodes in each of those, doing different types of business things."

What is our primary use case?

We have a pretty unique use case, one that isn't used by a lot of companies. We have Azure, AWS, as well as Google Compute Engine in the cloud. We want to have all of those in one central station. That's why we're using Device42, so that it can track all of our IPAM in one place.

We have it on-prem in our data center.

How has it helped my organization?

The fact that the solution provides continuous asset discovery is key to our operation because we treat our instances like cattle, not pets. If something breaks in the build or along any step of the way, or something just stops responding, normally we just shoot it and spin another one up. So we have to have something that notices that something remotely changed, and that can then pull that back into the records inside of Device42.

The solution's CMDB, ITAM, and DCIM features absolutely create a single source of IT truth in our environment. That's why we use Device42; because that is what we have to have. When I worked at Bluehost, we were using Act! tables and they were really painful to use as a source of truth because they were never kept up to date. Device42 is much easier to keep up to date. And because of the way it works, and the reports that it has, we all trust it as our IP address management tool. It's the best IPAM tool out there.

And deployment of the solution has definitely increased our security posture because you can only secure what you know about. If you don't know about it, you can't make sure that it's secure.

What is most valuable?

The discovery is the most valuable feature. Device42 has remote connectors that will go out and look for the changes. You can run Nmap. You can do one-way DNS zone syncs and that's pretty important. Those are the things that are really quite strong for Device42 to report back on your infrastructure.

The solution's automatic IT asset discovery and inventory functionality are top-notch. The thing I like is that it's open-source. If I need to change them — and they've given me links on GitHub to have them — I can go and change them to pull exactly what I want, as frequently as I want.

Also, I can show this to CEOs, and they understand it. So the front-end is awesome.

Once you get the reports done

• the monthly device add-on trends are awesome
  • the changes are awesome
  • the IP statistics, device statistics, and your building's statistics are all really good.

What needs improvement?

A con for Device42 is that Kubernetes integration is lacking. You pay for 10,000 spot licenses and if you're spinning up a Kubernetes cluster, or four or five or six Kubernetes clusters like we do, you're going to have 5,000 or 6,000 nodes in each of those, doing different types of business things. And those don't flow in and out. Yes, you can purge them — they do have a purge function — but the way that that works for security purposes leaves a little bit to be desired. I want to keep track of those for a security solution. If there were a compromise, it would be nice to have that rather than have it taking up some of your spots. Something that's missing is Kubernetes-based statistics so you can get a peek inside your clusters there.

Also, the reports are a little clunky, they could be better.

Finally, the comprehensiveness of the asset discovery is not perfect, but that's part of it being open-source. The scalability, the time that it takes to get things inside, could be faster.

I've been using Device42 for about seven years. At Bluehost, a company I used to work for ages ago, we brought it in and I started using it there. It was in one of its earlier releases. We were buying other companies and that's when I started using Device42.

It's very stable. We've never had a problem with Device42, and we've used it quite heavily.

Nmap is the de facto standard. But Nmap is still slow. If you wanted to look at 10,000 different IP addresses and get a little bit of information from each of them, it would take a little while, unless you multi-fitted them. There's a new tool out called Masscan. I've taken it and written a middleware so that the Device42 stuff uses Masscan now. That would be something that would really help Device42 scale much faster, in the discovery-specific portion of its tool.

For what we're doing, the scalability hasn't been an issue. We knew a lot of people were going to be using it. We have people from all over the world — from three different places in India, seven different places in the United States, and a bunch of people in the European Union —  working on this at the same time, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

The technical support is fantastic. We wanted to bring in a whole bunch of information from NetBox. We wanted to basically seed Device42 from the information we kept in NetBox, and they made that very easy. It was very helpful.

We used NetBox. We switched to Device42 because it's better.

Device42 is not that expensive. To have something that has all of our IP address scheme in there, something that is up to date and current, is a huge ROI for our organization. The ROI is very high.

At Device42 they were really kind. We were working through the licensing agreements this year and they said, "Hey, we'll open this up for you if you'll give us your feedback." They're willing to make something work, and they are working on a solution that will work better for people who are using Kubernetes.

We follow the Kubernetes lifecycle. Every quarter they release a new one, and then end-of-life every six months. Our development is a little bit ahead of that, so we're testing things, bringing them up, spinning them down, for QA. And that uses quite a bit of address space, so the licensing thing is my only, "Hey, guys, you're not super-hot on the licensing."

I've used NetBox, MyIP, and RackTables. I've used quite a bunch of these other tools out there, and honestly, Device42 is the best. The others don't compare to it. It is so much better.

I, myself, and people in roles up to the VP, looked at a whole bunch of options, ones that they've used in the past. Together, we came to the conclusion that, for pretty much any commercial company — and this is really the takeaway — that would rather focus on making money than spending a whole bunch of time fiddling with different databases, different underlying hardware; any company that wants an app that will get up and running, the very best thing to do is to get Device42.

What other advice do I have?

Just choose Device42 first.

Device42 hasn't reduced the time spent managing IT assets in our company because it has given us a better look at all the assets. It has created some work for us. But once we're done with all that work, I think it will go down.

I give it a solid nine out of 10. If it had a way to better work with Kubernetes and the pricing was different, it would be a 10.

JK
Manager, Endpoint Management at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Provides a deeper understanding of how our applications talk to each other

• "The asset inventory is great because previously we had devices all over the place. We have been able to do multiscans to find devices that we didn't know about, which was great."
  • "It would be nice for the agent to have an installer versus a single file across multiple systems."

What is our primary use case?

We wanted a rich database of all of our assets and multiple teams were keeping different Excel spreadsheets, etc. About two years ago, a consulting firm recommended Device42. We took a look at it and have been using it ever since. We collapsed a lot of information into it, then week by week more teams adopt it.

We are using the latest version that they have out right now.

How has it helped my organization?

Having general software inventory in one location has helped us tremendously, even around Service Desk. Our Service Desk tool integrates into the asset management. When a user calls with a problem, we can link their device to it. Then we see a history:

• Do they have old, aging hardware?
  • Does it need to be replaced?
  • Is this model continuing calling in for issues?

We have been able to make educated decisions about replacing hardware and software due to this solution.

We are doing discovery of cloud asset management devices. This has given us more rich enhanced data to make decisions on where to place things based on like-minded services.

I have used the solution in conjunction with audits of our IT assets. I am able to pull reports in minutes instead of it taking days of putting everything together.

It has helped us identify some areas of security enhancements.

What is most valuable?

The asset inventory and software inventory are the most valuable features. The asset inventory is great because previously we had devices all over the place. We have been able to do multiscans to find devices that we didn't know about, which was great. From the software aspect, we have been able to keep a detailed history of software that has been installed on machines and version controls. Then, we are able to make educated decisions on, "Is this software being installed as a one-off and part of the corporate image or should it be deprecated as the software gets older where we plan to do upgrades this way?"

The solution’s automatic IT asset discovery and inventory functionality was great when we first implemented it. We made some changes that didn't allow us to use some of those automated discovery tools. However, the software was good and adapted to our needs. We just went in a different way using the same software. The asset discovery is very comprehensive. We found a lot of information that we didn't even know we had.

We use the solution’s Application Dependency Mapping. It has been able to help us with troubleshooting. We now have a deeper understanding of how our applications talk to each other.

What needs improvement?

It'd be nice to have the reporting be a bit more user-friendly. The workflow could be a bit more intuitive. Though, the support has been great on helping us when we have ran into educational issues.

About two years.

It is very stable and updated on a regular basis with new enhancements and features using a very agile approach. Every week, we can get a feature in the pipeline that we/they have needed.

We require two people for deployment and maintenance for Device42: a network administrator and a dedicated system admin.

It is very scalable and have had no issues. We are running the device across multiple divisions, organizations, and regions across the globe. Device42 is everywhere in our company. There are 30 to 40 users, e.g., help desk administrators and auditors. We will potentially be using it for vendor management down the road. Also, the DevOps teams is using it for information.

In the beginning, the solution did not reduce the time spent managing IT assets since we didn't do any management. There was a lot of turnover of teams with every team doing it differently. Therefore, we had to focus a lot on it. Now, it's part of the day-to-day management.

We previously used Excel spreadsheets.

I took over the solution last year. I set up the whole thing up again from the ground up at that time. The setup was straightforward. The documentation was there. You just followed a few steps to get it up and running.

When we redeployed, it took approximately a week. It took a half a day worth of build, then a week to discover all our assets.

Our implementation strategy in the beginning was to start with each office and redefine what their needs looked like, then scan each network which had devices on it.

As we have grown the system, less time has been focused on managing managing IT assets. We don't need dedicated teams to do this anymore. We have been able to reduce this role to a shared resource across multiple teams.

We have seen ROI. We have been able to streamline multiple teams having different options on how to do asset management and doing different things into one process for every team.

Our licensing costs are on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

You should definitely implement this product. In a normal environment, it is a set and forget it type of thing.

In the beginning, the solution’s agentless approach to asset discovery was very impressive because we heavily utilized it. However, as we made decisions on the network to not trust any device unless it was on VPN, agentless didn't work for us. They had a solution that was good for us, so we were able to pivot to an agent getting that same deep, rich information. In some areas, we do run it agentless. It's just more often we are relying on the agent because of our own infrastructure changes.

Asset management is a difficult, time consuming thing. However, Device42 has helped me streamline that so I can focus on other areas that need improvement.

I would rate this product as a 10 (out of 10).

Learn what your peers think about Device42. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,027 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Viktor Dzhokin
Procurement Specialist at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Enables us to track everything in our data centers, including inventory, and even purchase orders

• "Previously, our company had a lot of issues keeping track of all the data centers and the inventory, as well as the purchase orders. All of these were managed by other tools. The good thing about Device42 is that it can be used for all this together. We don't need to spend time checking many other tools and files."
  • "The only thing which I have noticed so far that is not good is that we had an issue with some reporting from the tool, reporting we had to export. We couldn't do it in the way we wanted to, so we tried to reach out to their support but it took pretty long until we understood how we can manage the reports. We still haven't received a complete explanation of what we need to do and how to do it."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for our data center operations, to monitor the stack layers that we have. We are also using it for our procurement operations, taking orders and tracking deliveries. In addition, we use it for following up on contracts so that we make sure not to miss any renewal or cancellation of a contract.

How has it helped my organization?

Previously, our company had a lot of issues keeping track of all the data centers and the inventory, as well as the purchase orders. All of these were managed by other tools. The good thing about Device42 is that it can be used for all this together. We don't need to spend time checking many other tools and files.

The solution has reduced the time spent managing our IT assets. It's an easy-to-use program and everything is pretty understandable. We are able to manage everything pretty quickly, definitely saving time with the tool. For every task, my colleagues have told me that they save between five and 15 minutes. There might be some 30 tasks to do during the day, so it can save a lot of time.

What is most valuable?

It's an easy-to-use tool. It's not too complicated with too many settings. It has a pretty friendly user interface and is understandable at first sight. Everything was pretty clearly explained in the tutorial when I started using it.

And I would rate its automatic IT asset discovery and inventory functionality at eight-and-a half or nine out of 10. It works well for us. I haven't been working with the tool for that long, but over those five months it's has been really helpful for us. My colleagues who have been working with the tool longer than I have are also very satisfied with it. It's really helping us to keep track of everything:

• the buildings we are using for data centers
  • all the rooms in them
  • all racks
  • inventory
  • following purchase orders
  • and information about all our vendors.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes we need to add some details on the purchasing side of the tool. If we have a contract, we need to keep track of the beginning of the contract, the end date of the contract, and a notification period when we need to decide whether we are going to cancel it or renew it. This is related to the reporting because we wanted to add these details in the list which we see on the tool, but even when we succeeded with that, we couldn't see this information on a report.

But overall it's an easy program and we can manage it without too much trouble.

I have been using Device42 since I started working for my current employer in mid-October last year. So it has been about five months.

It's a really good product in terms of stability. It works in the way we expect. We don't have any complaints except with the support for our request on the reporting, which didn't go as we expected.

I don't deal with the scalability of it. I deal with procurement mostly. But my colleagues say it's easy to work with and they don't have difficulty with this.

I think it can be a bit tricky when they need to add many assets. We may need to do some internal upgrades when it comes to serial number scanning of small items for replacement, but that's not related to the tool. In the end, all this information will go into the tool and it will help us to track things better.

The only thing which I have noticed so far that is not good is that we had an issue with some reporting from the tool, reporting we had to export. We couldn't do it in the way we wanted to, so we tried to reach out to their support but it took pretty long until we understood how we can manage the reports. We still haven't received a complete explanation of what we need to do and how to do it. We understand that the master admin can do this, but it still hasn't been explained, completely, how it's possible. Their support has been a bit slow.

And we also don't know if the master admin can provide access to other users to download such reports. It's one guy who takes care of all of this, who receives requests from everyone in the company who is using the solution.

I had one other issue, in the beginning. The tool didn't work for the whole company so I opened a ticket and had a remote session with a guy from support. He worked really well and really fast and resolved the problem within an hour-and-a-half. He found there was a programming issue and contacted his colleagues and they fixed it pretty quick so we had access again.

We have definitely seen a return on investment. I cannot give you numbers, but from what I have heard from my manager, they are satisfied with the tool.

We have a yearly license.

What other advice do I have?

If a company with our type of business asked me if they should go for it, I would definitely recommend it if they have the same kinds of operations that we do.

The users of the solution in our company are from the lowest positions to almost the top. It might be over 300 people. We are using it on a daily basis. As a company, we are growing every day and more and more people are starting to use it.

It's a pretty good solution for data center operations, for what we are doing, and for procurement as well. I would recommend it because it's easy to use with a friendly user interface. It's not a difficult program at all. So far, everything is going well.

Deepak Pund
Technical Service Engineer at Fujitsu
MSP
You don't need to put agents on your servers

• "It has agentless discovery; you don't need to put agents on your servers. You can open one or two ports to discover all your infrastructure."
  • "For the iPhone, the device diagram cannot be downloaded. You have to go to each device and download the device diagram for that device. E.g., suppose there are a 1000 or 2000 servers. You cannot go to each server or device to download a device diagram for each device. There should be a one-click solution for downloading all device diagrams."

What is our primary use case?

Device42 uses your infrastructure discovery and network device discovery to get information about your infrastructure CMDB. It uses this when you are migrating your on-prem servers to the cloud or VMware Cloud to public cloud. For our purposes, customers use it to discover their infrastructure, services, applications, features of those servers, CPU, memory, and RAM. All these details can be discovered in their infrastructure using Device42. Then, you can easily migrate to the cloud.

We have used the solution in conjunction with our clients’ migration to the cloud. The view it provides of assets and application dependencies assists in getting things to work post migration because of Application Dependency Mapping. We can easily migrate the business and infrastructure applications, thus determining the other applications it is dependent on. This way we can easily predict how to migrate and the things that need to be done while migrating.

We provide support for Device42 as a managed service provider. Currently, I have two customers: one is on Azure and the other is on VMware.

I am using the latest version.

How has it helped my organization?

It is good tool for our customers if they want to go into the details of their infrastructure for migrating their on-prem environment to the cloud.

Device42 provides almost all the details of your infrastructure. Its reporting is very good. It has reports that you can fetch easily and are easily readable. There are a few scripts that you can also use for downloading reports in different formats.

It requires only two or three ports to be open while doing discovery. Therefore, you can have an environment which can be installed in a DMZ environment or on the customer's environment. It won't affect the security or customer's infrastructure.

Continuous asset discovery lets you continuously monitor the resource utilization when using Device42, such as:

• Resources being used on your infrastructure.
  • If there are new communications happening on your servers, then they are being captured in Device42.
  • If there are any changes in your CMDB infrastructure, they are getting captured in your Device42 reports.

You can download also these reports with a ServiceNow and other tools.

What is most valuable?

• Device42 is very easy to install.
  • It has lighter graphics. The graphics are easily loadable.
  • The front-end is good and user-friendly.
  • It provides network device discovery and Application Dependency Mapping.
  • It has agentless discovery; you don't need to put agents on your servers. You can open one or two ports to discover all your infrastructure.
  • It has a Remote Collector facility where you can use that facility to discover your DMZ environment as well as your load balancers and domain appliances.
  • It provides inbound and outbound connections for your servers.
  • Application Dependency Mapping helps us understand on which servers are our applications dependent and what things affect our application.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Device42 for two and a half years.

It is quite a stable solution. You can have 4 CPU or RAM for your appliance. You can also configure more CPU and RAM for your appliance if you want to discover more servers.

They have frequent updates, though sometimes you need to get Device42 updated to fix bugs.

Right now, we have two or three technical service engineers managing Device42.

The scalability is good. Depending on the number of servers that you want to restore, you can scale up or down. You can have one or multiple Remote Collectors for more stability and load balancing.

We have three different customers using Device42, and I have supported seven to eight customers until now. One of our customers, they are doing their plans in waves: wave one, two, and three. In wave one, they managed to discover almost 500 servers. In their second wave, they helped manage 400 servers. In wave three, they are now managing 500 to 600 servers.

It has very good, prompt support.

It is very easy to setup Device42.

I have setup it 600 to 700 times.

On average, the deployment requires only four to five hours. However, the requirements gathering that we need to forward to customers to follow their change process to open all ports may take two to three days.

There is no implementation strategy because it depends on customer. A few customers helped us and others deployed it by themselves. In these cases, we provide the documents, then the deploy it themselves. So, it depends on the customer.

The solution has reduced the time spent managing IT assets.

Customers are happy with the solution. They can easily deploy this solution for cost-effectiveness.

The product cost is low. It is quite cheap.

We also evaluated Microsoft Mover, but it was not approved by our management.

I haven't used another solution with customers.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very good tool. It is very easy to use for migrating an on-premise to cloud. The tool is user-friendly, easy to understand, and flexible. It has good support. It is the least expensive. This is all beneficial.

I would rate the product as a nine (out of 10).

Ernie Welter
Sr. Infrastructure Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Makes it easier for me to figure out if I have room and/or power in a cabinet to rack servers

• "The most valuable part is the ease of use. There's no training involved. It's pretty simple and straightforward."
  • "My biggest problem with the product is the upgrades. First, we have to do them manually and second, not this last time but the time before that, we actually had to build a new VM to deploy the solution again. We had to back it up and then restore it to the new version. That was inconvenient."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for asset tracking, cabinet modeling, data center modeling, and we use it for asset disposition and to keep track of our spare parts.

How has it helped my organization?

It makes it easier for anyone to find an asset in a cabinet and it makes it easier for me to figure out if I have room and/or power in a cabinet to rack servers.

It has also reduced the time spent managing our IT assets by a good 40 to 50 percent. We have also used the solution in conjunction with audits of our IT assets and, in that context, it saves a lot of time when everything's right there at your fingertips. I would estimate that it saves 50 to 60 percent, in terms of time, when doing audits.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable part is the ease of use. There's no training involved. It's pretty simple and straightforward.

I also like the inventory functionality. I don't know that we're using it exactly how it's made to be used, but it works for us.

The asset discovery goes out and finds new devices and puts them under Unknown Devices, and then we go in and have to fix it and change it to what it is. It works really well. The fact that it's continuous is convenient. We don't have to worry about it. It just works.

What needs improvement?

My biggest problem with the product is the upgrades. First, we have to do them manually and second, not this last time but the time before that, we actually had to build a new VM to deploy the solution again. We had to back it up and then restore it to the new version. That was inconvenient.

I would also like the ability to bulk-delete. The application is great, for the most part. There are just a few little bugs and quirks that are annoying to me.

I've been using Device42 for almost five years.

I have no complaints. It's still working.

My boss loves the fact that he can run API commands and get information that way. He's a huge API-guy, so he loves it.

I've used Device42's technical support. It's okay.

They had something called Rack Monkey. It was the most trivial program I've ever seen so that's why we looked for something else.

In the beginning, I didn't really know a whole lot about it, so it was a little complex. But once I got a good understanding, it was very intuitive.

We were up and running within a couple of days and when I reached out for some assistance, Raj Jalan actually called me. He's the CEO of the company and it was really nice to get that kind of support.

Our implementation strategy was to get it up and running as fast as possible.

I deployed it myself and there are two of us who maintain it. One guy on the network team does all of the discovery stuff and I'm a senior infrastructure engineer.

I would think we have seen ROI with Device42. It saves us time every day when we need to look up stuff. I can't put a price tag on it but it's very useful.

We evaluated other options but that was quite some time ago. We chose Device42 for its ease of use and quick stand-up.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be "do it." It worked for us. Made my life easy.

You get what you pay for. It's a good product and I enjoy it and we don't mind paying for it.

I, myself, don't use the IP discovery a whole lot. One of the guys from our network team uses that. I know it helps them a lot. Similarly, with the Application Dependency Mapping, I know my boss has looked at it a couple times. I can't really say that we use it, but it's there. It's a great function that gives us a very good view of our network.

There are 2,500 to 3,000 users who have access to it. They're mostly just adding and updating inventory. When they deploy a new server they go in and give it a name and add stuff into it.

As far as I know, we don't have any plans to change things. Device42 is our solution.

KA
Technical Officer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reasonably priced and stable but the remote connectors need to cover more devices

• "The pricing is reasonable."
  • "If they could make it so their remote connector could do as much as 10,000 devices, that would be better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for asset management and use inventory management and asset discovery quite frequently.

What is most valuable?

We haven't been used to it for a long while, however, it's actually essential for our customers.

Device42 is a really impressive tool. Their discovery seems to be really coordinated, in the sense that we have different types of discoveries we can actually run. That's one unique aspect about them.

The way they manage the assets, in general, is actually impressive, and the way they recognize, the software is good.

The fact that you really don't need to put an agent on is helpful. That's really an impressive aspect of the product overall.

The initial setup is easy.

The stability is good.

The pricing is reasonable.

What needs improvement?

They always say and recommend that we should run one remote connector, and one discovery service for about 500 to 1,000 devices, which actually means the productivity of this remote connector. Even then, probably in different subnets, they'll also advise you to have different connectors. If they could make it so their remote connector could do as much as 10,000 devices, that would be better. Just one remote connector to manage about 10,000 devices and still not reduce its productivity would be perfect. That would be a bigger picture item. Then, we wouldn't need to install or set up more than one remote connector on different subnets. That's one thing they could do to improve their services.

It would be nice if they could add support tickets into IT service management.

We've been dealing with the solution for a while. We've been partners for years now, and are quite comfortable with the product.

The solution is quite stable. We haven't had issues with bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze on us.

Technically, the solution scales. The only issue I have with this is that it needs various remote connectors to get as much information as you need. Depending on the number of assets, you can just add connectors and you're good to go.

Technical support is okay. I'd rate it at a six out of ten. The device response is quick.

The initial installation is easy. Where it gets complex is when you're configuring the environment for the customer. The initial installation, therefore, is really straight up. It's just handing the IOS to the virtual machines, and you're good to go. It's the subsequent configurations on the platform, where you have the platform, and there's configuring, you're discovering assets, et cetera, that's when it gets difficult.

I'm a reseller.

I'm more on the technical side and don't really handle billing and payments. Therefore, I don't have any details on licensing or costs.

That said, my understanding is that it is cheaper than other enterprise products on the market.

This solution would work best for organizations with 1,000 to 2,000 devices. However, large organizations, that may have 10,000 or 20,000 devices may not be best suited to this product.

What other advice do I have?

Most of the organizations, especially the financial institutions here in this country, are always on-premise. That includes our organization.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.