Devo Overview

What is Devo?

Devo is the only cloud-native logging and security analytics platform that releases the full potential of all your data to empower bold, confident action when it matters most. Only the Devo platform delivers the powerful combination of real-time visibility, high-performance analytics, scalability, multitenancy, and low TCO crucial for monitoring and securing business operations as enterprises accelerate their shift to the cloud.

Devo Buyer's Guide

Download the Devo Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Devo Customers

United States Air Force, Rubrik, Critical Start, NHL, Panda Security, Telefonica, CaixaBank, OpenText

Devo Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Devo pricing:
  • "We have seen ROI. We have seen cost savings in maintenance, upkeep, and support."
  • "I'm not involved in the financial aspect, but I think the licensing costs are similar to other solutions. If all the solutions have a similar cost, Devo provides more for the money."
  • "Devo is definitely cheaper than Splunk. There's no doubt about that. The value from Devo is good. It's definitely more valuable to me than QRadar or LogRhythm or any of the old, traditional SIEMs."
  • "It's a per gigabyte cost for ingestion of data. For every gigabyte that you ingest, it's whatever you negotiated your price for. Compared to other contracts that we've had for cloud providers, it's significantly less."
  • "[Devo was] in the ballpark with at least a couple of the other front-runners that we were looking at. Devo is a good value and, given the quality of the product, I would expect to pay more."
  • "We have an OEM agreement with Devo. It is very similar to the standard licensing agreement because we are charged in the same way as any other customer, e.g., we use the backroom."

Devo Reviews

Jordan Mauriello
SVP of Managed Security at Critical Start
Featured Review
Sep 30, 2020
Having the ability to do real-time analytics drives down attacker dwell time

What is our primary use case?

We use Devo as a SIEM solution for our customers to detect and respond to things happening in their environment. We are a service provider who uses Devo to provide services to our customers. We are integrating from a source solution externally. We don't exclusively work inside of Devo. We kind of work in our source solution, pivoting in and back out.

• "The ability to have high performance, high-speed search capability is incredibly important for us. When it comes to doing security analysis, you don't want to be doing is sitting around waiting to get data back while an attacker is sitting on a network, actively attacking it. You need to be able to answer questions quickly. If I see an indicator of attack, I need to be able to rapidly pivot and find data, then analyze it and find more data to answer more questions. You need to be able to do that quickly. If I'm sitting around just waiting to get my first response, then it ends up moving too slow to keep up with the attacker. Devo's speed and performance allows us to query in real-time and keep up with what is actually happening on the network, then respond effectively to events."
  • "There is room for improvement in the ability to parse different log types. The breadth of overall log parsers that exists right now is an area that they could improve. Natively, there's more that could be done by Devo then what it can and can't understand from a parsing perspective."

What other advice do I have?

No SIEM deployment is ever going to be easy. You want to attack it in order of priorities for what use cases matter to your business, not just log sources. We are not using the Activeboards as much as some of the things that are probably newer features in the solution, like their SecOps module, which allows us not to have to use as many Activeboards, as there is a lot of prebuilt content. That's very effective for us, and it already exists in there. The Activeboards are easy to understand and flexible. However, we are not using them quite as much as maybe other people are. We are probably…
JerryH
Director at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Nov 10, 2020
Enables us to bring all our data sources into a central hub for quick analysis, helping us focus on priorities in our threat landscape

What is our primary use case?

Our initial use case is to use Devo as a SIEM. We're using it for security and event logging, aggregation and correlation for security incidents, triage and response. That's our goal out of the gate. Their solution is cloud-based and we're deploying some relays on-premise to handle anything that can't send it up there directly. But it's pretty straightforward. We're in a hybrid ecosystem, meaning we're running in both public and private cloud.

• "The real-time analytics of security-related data are super. There are a lot of data feeds going into it and it's very quick at pulling up and correlating the data and showing you what's going on in your infrastructure. It's fast. The way that their architecture and technology works, they've really focused on the speed of query results and making sure that we can do what we need to do quickly. Devo is pulling back information in a fast fashion, based on real-time events."
  • "Devo has a lot of cloud connectors, but they need to do a little bit of work there. They've got good integrations with the public cloud, but there are a lot of cloud SaaS systems that they still need to work with on integrations, such as Salesforce and other SaaS providers where we need to get access logs."

What other advice do I have?

Take a look at it. They're really going after Splunk hard. Splunk has a very diverse deployment base, but Splunk really missed the mark with its licensing model, especially when it relates to the cloud. There are options out there, effective alternatives to Splunk and some of the other big tools. But from a SaaS standpoint, if not best-in-breed, Devo is certainly in the top-two or top-three. It's definitely a strong up-and-comer. Devo is already taking market share away from Splunk and I think that's going to continue over the next 24 to 36 months. Devo's speed when querying across our data is…
MV
reviewer1287654
Security Analyst at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Dec 18, 2020
Centralizes all our data, enabling us to correlate it and see issues we had never seen before

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use of Devo is as a SIEM, and then as a big-data platform. We do store a lot of data centrally, using the solution, and then we analyze it. The main purpose of the analysis is for security, to detect attacks, abnormalities, and to get an overall view of the health of the network. We deploy it on-premise. Devo mainly deploys in the cloud, but that's just not possible with our security policy.

• "The user interface is really modern. As an end-user, there are a lot of possibilities to tailor the platform to your needs, and that can be done without needing much support from Devo. It's really flexible and modular. The UI is very clean."
  • "One of the biggest features of the UI is that you see the actual code of what you're doing in the graphical user interface, in a little window on the side. Whatever you're doing, you see the code, what's happening. And you can really quickly switch between using the GUI and using the code. That's really useful."
  • "The Activeboards feature is not as mature regarding the look and feel. Its functionality is mature, but the look and feel is not there. For example, if you have some data sets and are trying to get some graphics, you cannot change anything. There's just one format for the graphics. You cannot change the size of the font, the font itself, etc."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to go with scrum Agile method for implementing it. It really works. They're did really good at it. The biggest lesson I've learned from using Devo is that it is good, functioning software. And there's really good support. I'm so happy with the platform. I've seen it go from pre-production to production. I was very happy with it in pre-production and I thought, "Okay, maybe when we start loading all the data, the complete set, maybe it will be different," but it's not. It does what it says on the tin. It really works for us. I rate Devo at nine out of 10. They could be a 10. If…
Learn what your peers think about Devo. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
475,129 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Chris Bates
CISO at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Mar 1, 2021
Enables us to combine data from disparate sources and get real-time context, alerting, and visibility

What is our primary use case?

We're using Devo as an operations and security event management logging platform. We're shipping all of our log data and telemetry into Devo, including G Suite, Okta, GitHub, Zscaler, Office 365; pretty much all of our logging data is going into Devo. And we're using Devo to do some analytics and alerting and searching on that log data. The analytics are things like average, min/max, and counts on certain types of log data—performance metrics—for monitoring and uptime/downtime health.

• "The thing that Devo does better than other solutions is to give me the ability to write queries that look at multiple data sources and run fast. Most SIEMs don't do that. And I can do that by creating entity-based queries. Let's say I have a table which has Okta, a table which has G Suite, a table which has endpoint telemetry, and I have a table which has DNS telemetry. I can write a query that says, 'Join all these things together on IP, and where the IP matches in all these tables, return to me that subset of data, within these time windows.' I can break it down that way."
  • "There's room for improvement within the GUI. There is also some room for improvement within the native parsers they support. But I can say that about pretty much any solution in this space."

What other advice do I have?

Be very realistic about what you want to send into it and make sure that you have use cases for sending data to it, but that's the same anywhere. One of the problems that a lot of people have is that with the old SIEM you sent all of your data and then figured out a use case for it afterwards. I'm much more of a firm believer in figuring out the use cases and then sending the data. Make sure you have the data you're going to be shipping into it well documented. Don't, by default, take everything you're shipping in your SIEM and ship it to Devo. That's probably not the best use of your time…
JayGrant
Manager of Security Services at OpenText
Jan 9, 2020
We can build Activeboards that can do queries across multiple different types of data sources with one query

What is our primary use case?

I run an incident response, digital forensics team for OpenText. We do investigations into cyber breaches, insider threats, network exploitation, etc. We leverage Devo as a central repository to bring in customer logging in a multi-tenant environment to conduct analysis and investigations. We have a continuous monitoring customer for whom we stream all of their logging in on sort of a traditional Devo setup. We build out the active boards, dashboards, and everything else. The customer has the ability to review it, but we review it as well, acting as a security managed service offering for… more »

• "Being able to build and modify dashboards on the fly with Activeboards streamlines my analyst time because my analysts aren't doing it across spreadsheets or five different tools to try to build a timeline out themselves. They can just ingest it all, build a timeline out across all the logging, and all the different information sources in one dashboard. So, it's a huge time saver. It also has the accuracy of being able to look at all those data sources in one view. The log analysis, which would take 40 hours, we can probably get through it in about five to eight hours using Devo."
  • "Their documentation could be better. They are growing quickly and need to have someone focused on tech writing to ensure that all the different updates, how to use them, and all the new features and functionality are properly documented."

What other advice do I have?

Definitely get training and professional services hours with it. It is one of those tools where the more you know, the more you can do. Out-of-the-box, there is a lot of stuff that you can just do with very little training. However, to get to the really cool features and setups, you'll need the training and a bit of front-end assistance to make sure it's customized for your environment the right way. You need to have a tool of this capability in your environment, whether you're providing service for someone else or if it's your own internal environment that you're working in. It is a core…
Art Faccio
Director Cyber Threat Intelligence at IGT
Mar 11, 2021
Makes it easy to see all our network, endpoint, and cloud on one dashboard, instead of having to jump from system to system

What is our primary use case?

We use it for monitoring our core set of network devices, our key systems. We're collecting all the log traffic and using it as a platform to correlate and set up alerts to monitor, and looking for any suspicious behavior.

• "The user experience [is] well thought out and the workflows are logical. The dashboards are intuitive and highly customizable."
  • "Some third-parties don't have specific API connectors built, so we had to work with Devo to get the logs and parse the data using custom parsers, rather than an out-of-the-box solution."

What other advice do I have?

We did a pretty good job of this, but with hindsight it is always something that we could have done better: the planning of the project. So have a good idea of what logs you want to ingest, right out of the gate, and have the necessary internal teams ready to get you what you need. The pre-planning is the most important thing. We had the relay built and functional for getting the data from site to cloud, literally in 20 minutes. If we had been a little better organized on our end, the implementation would have taken one week instead of a week and a half to two weeks. So the most important…
JS
reviewer1315713
CEO at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Aug 24, 2020
Decreased our MTTR with its immediate visibility, prepackage dashboards, and alerting

What is our primary use case?

We use it for visibility and alerting in a cybersecurity security use case. It is a very specific deployment in the sense that it's not general. We integrated it with our own technology. We are a SaaS vendor. The way we integrated Devo was to put it into our platform as an alerting layer. Because you will be doing executables at your computer all the time, such as opening an email, a browser, or Word, all these things are tracked via telemetry. We take all that raw data for events, essentially enriching it with the classification service that we have as a unique part of our own service. So, if… more »

• "Even if it's a relatively technical tool or platform, it's very intuitive and graphical. It's very appealing in terms of the user interface. The UI has a graphically interface with the raw data in a table. The table can be as big as you want it, depending on your use case. You can easily get a report combining your data, along with calculations and graphical dashboards. You don't need a lot of training, because the UI is relatively very intuitive."
  • "There's always room to reduce the learning curve over how to deal with events and machine data. They could make the machine data simpler."

What other advice do I have?

Internal development is underrated. It is a good choice not to invent it all yourself. You should focus on your core business. It made sense to choose Devo to focus on the machine data issues while we focused on cybersecurity and the intelligence that we could build with the platform. Open source is a good option in some cases, but not for us and our needs. I would rate the solution as a nine (out of 10).