Domo Overview

Domo is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Business Performance Management tools. It is most often compared to Tableau: Domo vs Tableau

What is Domo?
Domo’s Business Cloud is the world’s first open, self-service platform to run your entire organization. The Business Cloud brings together the data, the people, and the insights business users need to deliver a big picture view of what’s happening in your business so you can answer your most pressing business questions and optimize performance in real time. And with a native mobile experience, the insights you need to make data-driven decisions are right at your fingertips—wherever you happen to be.

Find more information on The Business Cloud Here.

Domo is also known as corda.

Domo Buyer's Guide

Download the Domo Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Domo Customers
Capco, SABMiller, Stance, eBay, Sage North America, Goodwill Industries of Central Indiana, Telus, The Cliffs, OGIO International Inc., and many more!
Domo Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Manager - Talent Acquisition Analytics at a wholesaler/distributor
MSP
Enables us to blend data and do transformations in a single platform

What is our primary use case?

We currently use Domo for automation of our reports. I'm connected with a large company and I focus on talent acquisition and analytics. We are mostly pulling reports from Oracle BI, reports that are used by our talent acquisition staff. We connect our Domo database to OBI and pull the reports from there. The visualization and the rest of the analytics functions are stored in Domo.

• "What makes me really fond of Domo is the ETL because it enables us to maximize a single platform for pulling reports and automating things. We can send the raw data from a third-party platform and do the rest of the ETL in Domo, including transforming data, adding columns, etc."
  • "In terms of the analytics, there is quite a limited set of options when using Domo. Whereas with Tableau we can perform heavy statistical computations, Domo doesn't have that capability. Domo is quite limited on that side."

What other advice do I have?

Domo is a great tool, in my opinion. But the first thing that you need to consider is what kind of return on investment Domo can deliver. There are a lot of things that Domo can deliver. There are a lot of things that I haven't tried yet with Domo and I'm quite excited about trying them. But in terms of the ROI, there's a really great opportunity to save cost and time with Domo, particularly for if you are heavy on reports. If your organization needs certain data or reports in real-time, reports that help you to decide on certain issues, Domo can be helpful. For the setup, the first thing that…
Software Developer at CapitalVia Global Research LTD
Enables us to connect with MySQL, with the database of our CRM to create reports

What is our primary use case?

Our business deals with B-to-B and B-to-C customers. Our main objective is to present an analysis of our business. From our databases we generate a report and we showcase it to our upper management team, showing them the exact analysis that has been done.

• "We've worked with all the features of Domo. Among the most important are Pivot and Sumo Cards. We can use drill-down from the top-most level with a click, generating charts."
  • "The user interface is quite good."
  • "It's quite slow. We are using about 2,000,000 rows of data. Creating certain reports takes almost a couple of minutes, which should not be the case."
  • "I would like to publish a dashboard for the employees so that they can also see the performance of our organization. But that is not a feature in Domo, although it's something that Zoho provided."

What other advice do I have?

It's easy to use. There's no need for Google or videos to learn something. You can just explore it and do whatever you want and it's very easy to understand with a good interface. We have kept the number of users to not more than 15. We have kept it confidential and not made it available to the employees. We are planning to increase usage of Domo. We had a lot of negotiations with the team that was helpful regarding the sharing of a particular dashboard with other people. We have a one-user subscription and we want to share this with another one so that they can at least have a look at the…
Learn what your peers think about Domo. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
509,820 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Project Manager at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
Custom connectors provide a lot of flexibility in bringing in data from different sources

What is our primary use case?

I've used it as a platform to bring data together and pull insights out of it. I tried to connect different sources and match them. I'd utilize Google Analytics with data from Salesforce Marketing Cloud to be able to see how email activity in campaigns was impacting user activity on the sites.

• "The ability to create custom connectors was useful because you never know, with customers, what platform they want to utilize or what data they have. It gave us a lot of flexibility in being able to bring data in from different places."
  • "It is very difficult too, if we do have specific requests or errors that we can't get figure out - especially when it comes to the development platform, developing custom connectors or doing any kind of API work, custom cards - in that there's a lag in the response time."

What other advice do I have?

One thing from my experience that we could have improved was that we had a limited number of technical people on it. You definitely need to be savvy with a lot of heavy SQL as well as API integrations. if you're trying to utilize it the most, the best thing to do is utilize their development platform. They have a developers page that really does wonders and takes it to the next step. If you're investing in it, then invest in being able to utilize that. They also have a webpage where they show a lot of examples with different data models, showing you how to utilize tools to the best of their…
Freelance DBA
A very useful tool if you want to check your data constantly and historically

What is our primary use case?

I use Domo mostly for three reasons: * To create connections with several applications and obtain data from those applications, e.g., Google Drive, Google Sheets, or Google Analytics. * With those connections, I love to upload data to Domo and transform that data in different ways. I create ETLs to join the data. * When I join the data, it is transformed into a card where the client can see his data in a graphical way. From this, he can understand how his company is performing, because the data which I upload is from their call center(s). Domo is not for fixing errors. We don't fix anything… more »

• "Domo has a lot of connections using APIs where you can use data from different databases, such as NoSQLs, SQL databases, and other connections. These connections exist to obtain data and transform whatever that you want."
  • "If your ETL runs more than 24 hours, it always fails because we are logging a lot of historical data, and there is a restriction on the amount of data (in rows) that you can run. The technical support has not found a solution for this yet."

What other advice do I have?

Domo is a good tool, and you won't regret it if you chose it for your company, since it is a very useful tool if you want to check your data constantly and historically. You can compare and create graphics to compare the past with the present and estimate to see how your company is performing. Right now, the data is the most important thing in the world. Domo always tries to keep your data protected and available to you and your clients. This is something which good with Domo. As our company increases in size, our usage of Domo will increase. We use Datadog in conjunction with Domo, but they…
Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Does a good job of ETL, but the SDK is not up to date and not available on their webiste

What is our primary use case?

I use Domo BI as a back-end business API to build a bot. We are not currently using the entire Domo system. It's an external API for us. We are building another layer on top of it and not interacting with Domo itself that much. Our client is a Fortune 500 company that is actually using it. We were provided with read access to build a product on top of it.

• "I mostly see it as an ETL which has many system connectors. It does a good job of ETL."
  • "Their STK is not up to date and you can't access it on their website. They have a private STK to access resources in Domo."
  • "I would like to be able to drill down more when there is a particular area where there is a problem. I don't clearly see that in Domo at the moment."

What other advice do I have?

Implementing Domo depends on the project, how much time it will take to build the dashboards, how many KPIs you are looking at, and how much of your data will come into the system. It also matters how many data sources there are. If you have ten to 15 sources every time it is a lot of work because you need to join all those tables and combine them into one to build the dashboards on top of it. There is a difference between working with Domo and working on top of Domo. The major difference is that if you are working with Domo, you would rather use ETL and work with connectors; build the…
Managing Director at TokenMarket Capital
Changed the way we built software - we were able to leave all the business intelligence and reporting out of it and use Domo for that

What is our primary use case?

We used it for data crunching, analytics, and business intelligence to take it to a new level.

• "The fact that you can add any data source is valuable. The entire data handling suite they have, all the apps, etc., is pretty amazing. One of the key things, not being a techie or a data-warehouse guy, is that you can connect data sources, and do all kinds of pretty amazing things."
  • "Their organization or client service didn't always keep up... They took on more and more clients and the processes slowed down a little bit."

What other advice do I have?

If you implement Domo, go full-on with Domo and let go of all the legacy stuff. The big mistake is that you implement Domo and then you have something else as well. If you're thinking of consolidating analytics, go full-on because Domo can solve everything when it comes to data-handling, analytics, business intelligence, and reporting, etc. My advice would be: Have the courage to let go of all the old stuff. I'm a big fan in many ways. I'm not a techie in that sense, I'm more a CEO. But I'm a big ambassador of Domo. When you compare storage, for example, you have Dell EMC and then you have all…
Manager of Data Analytics & CRM Operations at a tech company with 201-500 employees
Allows us to store as much data as we want without extra charges, and Redshift ETL tools are great

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to use it to show all of the analytics for our retail stores and allow the managers to see their store numbers and compare them to the other stores. And for employee performance, employees can compare themselves to the rest of the country. That was probably my biggest application of it and it's an interesting use case because we manage all of the data in the backend. We are able to get the users to see a very static view of how they are doing compared to the top ten percent of their region, their state, and the top ten in the country. It creates a pretty cool way for… more »

• "The best thing is that the data storage is pretty much free. I can store as much data as I want, from different sources."
  • "The ETL tools they have in Redshift are pretty awesome... I can work in Redshift to get the data from AWS and work in Redshift, in Domo, to create Transforms and the data structure we need..."
  • "They could use more charts. They have had a very limited number of charts we can use. I believe, now, there are somewhere around 30 of them, but they could definitely use some more options."
  • "I would also like to see improvements to their drag and drop Magic ETL tool. You can drag and drop your ETL tool, but it doesn't really work for a large amount of data. It struggles with that. In a real-world application, where you're working with 30 million rows or 100 million rows, it takes a bit longer to process the data. If you do it in the Redshift ETL tool, using your own code, it's much faster."

What other advice do I have?

Don't complicate it. At first we thought it was going to be a lot more complicated. It just wasn't. Knowing that, next time, would help me a lot, instead of trying to plan so much for every detail. It was a lot easier than I expected and we spent a lot of time testing stuff and figuring out if the tool was updating. If we had trusted what they were saying, we would have finished a lot faster. If you don't have a lot of data changing, if your structures are not changing - some companies keep changing the way they structure their data and that will take a lot of time - maintenance isn't that…
Business Intelligence Manager at a retailer with 51-200 employees
Allows me to see high-level information and subsets of data, with a few clicks

What is our primary use case?

To un-silo and "liberate" our data. To bring many data sources into one place and then allow many users to interact, blend, transform, and enrich data in their own environment.

• "Using the "cards" which function as preconfigured reports or views. I use many of them simultaneously on an organized page, with filters that allow me to see high-level information as well as subsets across the dataset, in a few clicks. Many Excel-challenged users love to use this product for its simplicity."
  • "The preconfigured apps need to be more relevant to allow one, out of the box, to load data in order to use pre-set reports/views."

What other advice do I have?

Be sure to allow yourself some time. In the end, it will prove worthwhile. Try to come up with as many use cases as possible to PoC.
NA Lead Business Intelligence Systems at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
More than 300% ROI in two years, this system is the unicorn

What other advice do I have?

In my 15 years of professional experience in IT and Project Controls, this system is truly the one that is the unicorn. That one system that we all wished existed, it finally does and it is real!
Vice President Data Analytics at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Brings Accountability To All Levels Of The Organization

What other advice do I have?

Domo was the right choice for where our organization is, and I'm confident that it will scale with us. Every organization has multiple teams that work in different ways. The larger your organization, the more variation you're going to have. The important thing to remember is that the data is what's important. It shouldn't matter if marketing and finance want to use Domo, while your IT department is using SSRS, and Sales is using Salesforce or your actuarial department is using SAS and Tableau. As long as they're all hitting the same data, let them use the tool that fits them best. This is not…
Chief Data Officer at Mobivity
The distribution of visualizations via a web portal is valuable but refreshing the data was unstable.

What other advice do I have?

You should choose something else, like Tableau, BIME, SSRS, or even Excel.
SQL Server Database Administrator at a educational organization with 501-1,000 employees
Descriptive error messages should be displayed, but it's a stable product.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product for giving an overall picture of the business. Not a good idea to use it if you are looking for minute details in your reports or if your end users like to play with data in excel. Overall it is a useful tool but I don't think our company is using it the way it is supposed to be used.
MIS Analyst at a outsourcing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It makes creating graphs easy, but sometimes it doesn't calculate correctly.

What other advice do I have?

It's not for everyone and it doesn't do everything. It's flashy and mostly useful if you are wanting to analyze one metric at a time, leaving you with several cards of all the metrics you are wanting to look at. Example: Just to look at Pay vs. Login (PVL), I have to use 5 cards. * Productive PVL * Pay vs Login (actual PVL) * Phone productive hours * and 5 Show me errors I can't just look at all the data at once, use conditional formatting to highlight things of interest, and sort/filter to drill down to what I really want to look at. Nor can I quickly drop a formula to answer immediate…
Business Intelligence & Analytics Manager at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Although the UI has issues with some browsers, I have never been able to rapidly report and build dashboards faster than I have with this tool.

What other advice do I have?

If you need easy to use, rapid deploying dashboards available from any device or machine, Domo is the way to go.
Business Intelligence Analyst at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
It's particularly suitable for larger scale roll-outs but it lacks the ability to display multiple charts simultaneously.

What other advice do I have?

Expect to invest in a proper implementation.
ERP Developer at a retailer with 501-1,000 employees
You have full control to write the queries through the workbench tool, but it can only be installed per user.
The web interface is easy to use and intuitive. Since it's cloud based, you can get to your data from anywhere. However, each user account gets a unique view. Cards can be shared between user accounts, but if you are looking for an enterprise dashboard of cards displayed in a specific order, you'll need to work with each user to pull the shared cards to their dashboard pages. The workbench tool (to integrate locally housed db data) has room for improvement. It can only be installed per user (rather than per PC) and then it uses the Windows task scheduler to schedule auto updates for the data (if you want). So in order to have these tasks run under a service account, you have to log into a box with it and install the workbench under that account (no good in my opinion: I never want…
Business Intelligence Analyst at a media company with 10,001+ employees
It automatically informs the leadership of the monthly revenue numbers but creating tables and number formats can be improved.
Digital Manager with 51-200 employees
Unfortunately, they couldn't deliver as promised. Initially, we were very intrigued by the ability to get four to six complicated reporting tools into one aggregated dashboard.

What other advice do I have?

I've dealt with worse companies that take the money and run. Domo continued to stay involved, it just never got to where they said we were going. The tool has some potential, but - as of two years ago - it was still a long way from fulfilling on the promise. If you have a very simple implementation and a competent account rep, Domo might work for you - although I think it's an overpriced option to handle that. For our purposes, it proved much more feasible to have an Analytics/JavaScript guru customize GA & Omniture to get multiple data points into the same system.