Dropbox OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dropbox is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Cloud Storage tools. It is most often compared to SharePoint: Dropbox vs SharePoint

What is Dropbox?

Dropbox provides cloud-based file syncing, sharing, and storage. It specializes in helping large-scale businesses stay organized and productive while protecting the integrity of sensitive information with enterprise-level security. Dropbox is a valuable solution for businesses looking to simplify communication, safeguard information, and improve collaboration. Dropbox's platform provides a user-friendly, real-time sharing and storage solution for large businesses. The company's enterprise-level service plan includes 256-bit AES and SSL encryption, an optional two-step verification process, and optional mobile passcodes, which provide tight security to protect sensitive information. Dropbox uniquely offers a remote wipe feature, which allows businesses to keep data safe when an employee leaves the company or a computer is lost. Dropbox stands out from the competition by offering businesses expanded storage, unlimited file recovery and versioning, and control over sharing permissions. Additionally, Dropbox provides businesses with team management solutions, including device and location tracking, login tracking, detailed user management options for administrators, and centralized billing. Collaboration between team members is further simplified with the addition of various Dropbox apps that allow advanced functionality such as document editing, CRM, and e-signatures. Dropbox has become one of the most popular business tools, entrusted by 97 percent of all Fortune 500 companies. Before implementing Dropbox, global apparel merchandiser BCBGMAXAZRIA was struggling to structure communication and increase company-wide efficiency, which resulted in the need for increased staff hours and expenses. Since choosing Dropbox as its cloud-based sharing and storage solution, BCBGMAXAZRIA has been able to restructure its file sharing and collaboration streams in every department. As a result, BCBGMAXAZRIA is able to boost efficiency, reduce expenses, and protect its information throughout all 550 locations. Review more of the top Cloud Storage Solutions with our SmartAdvisor.

Dropbox Buyer's Guide

Download the Dropbox Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Dropbox Customers

Vita Coco, BCBGMAXAZRIA Group, Centric Project, Kayak, FourSquare, Asana, Huge Adversting , USA Gymnastics, Appen, Valliant, Radio Lab

Dropbox Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dropbox pricing:
  • "While I consider the software to be quite good, overall, it could improve on its pricing."
  • "You pay as you go, which is a good thing. There is a monthly fee, and you can also pay annually. This flexibility makes the subscription easier and affordable for some of us. I prefer yearly pricing, which is also slightly cheaper than monthly pricing."
  • "Its price is quite cheap. It is quite competitive. You just need to pay for the license. There are no additional costs."

Dropbox Reviews

MO
Call Center Coordinator at Freelancer
A simple and accessible solution, with an easy setup, scalability and overall good stability

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution to store certain documents and upload photos remotely from my cell phone directly to my computer. This means I have both an iPhone and desktop application and I sync between them.

• "The solution is quite helpful and allows me to conduct my affairs from all over the globe within moments."
  • "Tech support could be better."

What other advice do I have?

Absent new technologies being introduced, I feel the solution to be on par with others. I am not aware of anyone coming up with a new type of cloud at present. Our solution is on the cloud, but I also have the desktop and iPhone apps. The solution is deployed on their own services. At the moment, I employ the solution for my personal use, although I have used it globally with sellers and buyers with whom I signed contracts and agreements My advice to someone looking into implementing the solution is that he go for it. One can use the free version so long as his usage is limited to fiveā€¦
Joseph Raisi
IT Manager at Botswana Accountancy College
A stable, scalable, and secure solution for sharing and accessing documents

• "I don't need to carry my laptop while traveling. I just synchronize whatever I've been doing to Dropbox. After the document is synchronized, I can leave my laptop and use Dropbox wherever I am. I can also easily share a document with my colleagues, no matter how big it is. I can allow them to edit, and the editing will be instant. I can see whatever changes they've made to the document. It doesn't delete a document automatically. If I make a mistake and delete a file, it doesn't automatically delete the file. It gives you the warning to say you're deleting a file. In terms of security, I haven't had any challenges with Dropbox where they tell you that your data is compromised."
  • "The arrangement of documents can be simplified. Personally, I am used to it, but for a new user, it might be a little confusing. It can maybe have a feature to allow people to collaborate or work on the same document at the same time. I'm just using it to load and access information, and I haven't faced many challenges. However, I have seen that the whole system or laptop slows down a bit when I am synchronizing files to Dropbox. I don't know if it is because of my system. It might be good if they can enhance the synchronization process so that we can specify that synchronization should be done after 30 minutes. In addition, synchronization should only be done for the documents that have been uploaded."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution for other business users. I would rate Dropbox a nine out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Dropbox. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,548 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Sandeep Math
Team Leader, Benchmarking at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable, seamless, and secure product that provides the privacy that you are looking for and allows you to easily share files

What is our primary use case?

It is my company's policy to use Dropbox to store all the official details. It is a central storage unit. All of our official files have to be invariably stored on Dropbox until now. However, going forward, we will be migrating to Microsoft Teams.

• "It is definitely stable. The main advantage of Dropbox is that you can see the files, and you can easily share them with all the team members. They can be accessed by whoever you give access to, and it is all secure. Dropbox is a seamless product. It provides you the privacy that you're looking for. Privacy is a major factor for my company, and Dropbox provides you that."
  • "We are moving to Microsoft Teams. Instead of Dropbox, we will be using Microsoft Teams that has the advantage of saving the versions. It supports file versioning so that you can always go back to the previous version if you want to. If somebody has made a change in one of the files and you don't know what changes have been made, you can always go back to the previous version. This feature led us to migrate to Microsoft Teams. With Dropbox, there is no option for simultaneous work. This feature is there in Google Files. In Microsoft Teams, you can invite team members to collaborate. That is the reason why I prefer Microsoft Teams over Dropbox. It should also have more integration with other solutions."

What other advice do I have?

We are migrating to Microsoft Teams, so we will not be using Dropbox three months down the line. I would recommend this solution, but it also depends on what is your end goal. If there is a lot of collaboration within files, not at the folder level, Dropbox serves the purpose. If you need to collaborate on a project on a higher level, Microsoft Teams is a better option. It also lets you do a lot of project planning. I would rate Dropbox an eight out of ten.
NB
Co-Founder
Integration with Microsoft Office synchronizes your documents so they are always current

What is our primary use case?

I use Dropbox for document and file sharing. I am more active now because I am using my personal storage to share project files.

• "I like the synchronization, and the integration with Microsoft Office is good."
  • "The problem with the storage is that you are only able to synchronize the information within the amount of storage that you have. It doesn't matter if you are accessing from a team member who has more storage, the limitations are with your storage."

What other advice do I have?

The main difference between dropbox and other solutions that I have used is the synchronization in using local software to the account. You can work in the file in your local office and it will synchronize to the cloud. You are also always working with the latest version of the document. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Pedro Coelho
Associate Partner at Inodev
Easy to use, stable, and trustworthy with good pricing, but needs better version control and integration user experience

What is our primary use case?

We use it for sharing files and folders with our clients. We are using its latest version.

• "One of the advantages of Dropbox is that you can share files with people who are external to your organization without any additional costs. It is also easy to use, stable, and trustworthy."
  • "File version control can be improved. It generates a lot of conflicts when people are working on the same file. Its integration with other solutions can be improved in terms of user experience. Integration is there, and it has connectors for Excel, Word, and other solutions, but it is not very friendly. There should be a better user experience."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution for those companies who are not using Office 365. I would rate Dropbox a six out of ten.
DL
Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Free, easy to use, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

I have used Dropbox on the odd occasion to share files and so on with external parties. For example, I've used it to share big files such as videos and items of that nature. I mainly use it for sharing different types of files and for storage.

• "It's very easy to use and quite accessible for everybody."
  • "It would be good if they could market themselves as a safe solution for corporates. Currently, most corporates don't see it as a safe area to share within."

What other advice do I have?

I'm not an IT person, I'm a business person. I'm not overly technical. I'm a Dropbox end-user and customer. I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. I've been quite please with its capabilities so far. I would recommend the solution to other users and companies.
SB
Research and Teaching Assistant at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Free to use and easy to set up but needs more storage on the freemium tier

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for data storage. I mostly use the solution to share files with others and to share files also with my phone. I use the solution both at work and at home.

• "The initial setup was very easy."
  • "For us, storage is an issue. The free version is too small in terms of the amount of storage on offer."

What other advice do I have?

We are just customers and end-users. We don't actually even pay for the product. We have no relationship with Dropbox. I have the solution deployed on my laptop as well as the cloud. I use it in both places. I would likely recommend other users check out Google's option and use that rather than Dropbox. I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten overall.
AtefehMohib
Business Analyst at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use option for Windows users and others

• "I think Dropbox is a good option for Windows users because it's easy to use in Windows and a user can access all other products and software."
  • "Dropbox could make the installation and the log of what has changed in a file easier. Showing logs could be more accessible."

What other advice do I have?

I think Dropbox is a good option for Windows users because it's easy to use in Windows and a user can access all other products and software. On a scale of one to ten, Dropbox is not a 10, but I'm not sure it's an eight or nine. For my personal usage, I would say a nine is good.
See 18 more Dropbox Reviews
Download our free Dropbox Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.