Dropbox Overview

Dropbox is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Cloud Storage tools. It is most often compared to SharePoint: Dropbox vs SharePoint

What is Dropbox?

Dropbox provides cloud-based file syncing, sharing, and storage. It specializes in helping large-scale businesses stay organized and productive while protecting the integrity of sensitive information with enterprise-level security. Dropbox is a valuable solution for businesses looking to simplify communication, safeguard information, and improve collaboration. Dropbox's platform provides a user-friendly, real-time sharing and storage solution for large businesses. The company's enterprise-level service plan includes 256-bit AES and SSL encryption, an optional two-step verification process, and optional mobile passcodes, which provide tight security to protect sensitive information. Dropbox uniquely offers a remote wipe feature, which allows businesses to keep data safe when an employee leaves the company or a computer is lost. Dropbox stands out from the competition by offering businesses expanded storage, unlimited file recovery and versioning, and control over sharing permissions. Additionally, Dropbox provides businesses with team management solutions, including device and location tracking, login tracking, detailed user management options for administrators, and centralized billing. Collaboration between team members is further simplified with the addition of various Dropbox apps that allow advanced functionality such as document editing, CRM, and e-signatures. Dropbox has become one of the most popular business tools, entrusted by 97 percent of all Fortune 500 companies. Before implementing Dropbox, global apparel merchandiser BCBGMAXAZRIA was struggling to structure communication and increase company-wide efficiency, which resulted in the need for increased staff hours and expenses. Since choosing Dropbox as its cloud-based sharing and storage solution, BCBGMAXAZRIA has been able to restructure its file sharing and collaboration streams in every department. As a result, BCBGMAXAZRIA is able to boost efficiency, reduce expenses, and protect its information throughout all 550 locations. Review more of the top Cloud Storage Solutions with our SmartAdvisor.

Dropbox Buyer's Guide

Download the Dropbox Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Dropbox Customers

Vita Coco, BCBGMAXAZRIA Group, Centric Project, Kayak, FourSquare, Asana, Huge Adversting , USA Gymnastics, Appen, Valliant, Radio Lab

Dropbox Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Photographer at MS Solutions Ltd.

What is our primary use case?

I used Dropbox to store my files but they have deleted my account, and everything is no longer accessible.

How has it helped my organization?

They have deleted my files, and I have moved to another service provider. Their support department did not reply in a timely manner.

What is most valuable?

I can edit my files online, but the option is not that well-developed. However, I like the comments option.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see an option to secure my files and set password protection to my folders. I want to lock my folders with a password.  I would like to be able to unarchive my files online.

I cannot reach…
it_user872238
Business Analyst at Digital1st
User
Ensures current version of documents are used. Would like to see an improvement in ease of use.

What is our primary use case?

We use it for storing, retrieving, and sharing data. When teams work together, they may use documents which govern how the work is done or the product works. Dropbox enables storing such documents centrally and retrieving them as required.

• "It ensures all our staff are using the current version of our documents."
  • "Improve the ease of use. Sometimes, occasional users struggle to login again and access documents."
Learn what your peers think about Dropbox. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
511,307 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user367137
Founder / Singapore Web Hosting / Domain Name Registration / Enterprise Exchange at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
I use it every day to sync files across to the cloud. Sometimes, it takes a while to start and files are not synced.

What is most valuable?

File syncing is the most valuable feature. I use it every day to sync files across to the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

Dropbox Busines allows me to sync important work related files across multiple devices, which is important for collaboration.

What needs improvement?

The connectivity and start-up need improvement. Sometimes, it takes a while to start Dropbox services and files are not synced.

I have used Dropbox for four to five years.

Yes, sometime it may have issue while connecting from China

So far, we have encountered an outage once about three years ago.

What do I think about the

it_user993
Engineer (Non IT) at a construction company with 51-200 employees
Dropbox is a very easy-to-use site that allows me to save files to the cloud.

What is most valuable?

Dropbox is a very easy-to-use site that allows me to save files to the cloud for retrieval from almost any device (laptop, iPhone, iPad, etc...). It has come in very handy on multiple occasions.

What needs improvement?

The only thing I have had trouble with is the ability to share files. The recipients of my requests have had difficulty accessing the files.
Senior Consultant at Unify Square
Top Reviewer
The versioning feature enabled me to recover documents that I had edited by chance, which was really a life-saver for me.

• "Availability of dedicated Apps on any kind of OS."
  • "2 Gb of free space and then a not so cheap subscription (also if the competitors have similar proposals for customers)."
Regional Manager APAC at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Shares data with external parties. It should synch to a local hard drive.

• "The small business version gave us ample capacity."
  • "Dropbox, like many file sharing tools, needs to synch to a local hard drive. That is a bit difficult with 5TB Dropbox content."

What other advice do I have?

Dropbox has some excellent features. Some of its contraints are not exclusive to Dropbox. Given the options available these days, Dropbox for business is overpriced.
Marketing Campaign Manager at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
We can easily share information with our vendors, clients, and partners.

• "The features that I find most valuable are the ability to sync across devices, easily access/share files and organize them among myself and my team."
  • "I find it a little hard to organize my Dropbox folders on my mobile device."

What other advice do I have?

It is very easy to implement and scale across SMBs. I would recommend getting your files organized and taking the time to upload them. If you have a lot of large files to load, you should give yourself ample time.
it_user396549
CEO at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Dealing with permissions are an issue. ​The ability to share files across the world with business partners is valuable.
PatrickCiPaaS
Senior Technical Product Marketing Manager at SnapLogic
Leaderboard
Dropbox has dramatically changed my productivity for the better

Valuable Features:

Dropbox has been incredibly reliable in real time from any device at any time I need files. I saved an incredible amount of productivity using Dropbox for both personal and professional pursuits. It does an automatic backup of files as you're working on them so I've never lost significant data.

Use of Solution:

1.5 years

Other Advice:

In one case, when my phone was stolen, I was able to locate it because the person who ended up with the phone was taking pictures that linked to my Camera Uploads.
it_user5682
Senior Manager of Infrastructure at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
MSP

Valuable Features:

Easy to use - Flexible - Available for almost all platforms Only recommended for End Users (Domestics)

Room for Improvement:

Unsecure - Poor app support

Other Advice:

Dropbox is the easy to use tool by default available for almost all platforms, the only Cons is the unsecure code. Many of my homeusers customers love this service. But they don´t realize about the secuty issues reported in the past.
it_user5022
Student at a university with 501-1,000 employees
Better than other similar tools. I use it daily.

Valuable Features:

Easy to use. Like the mobile app. Sync is fast. Secured.

Room for Improvement:

More free space needs to be provided. Shared users should not be allowed to delete files. Recovery system for deleted files.
it_user3978
Marketing with 51-200 employees
Easy to set up, easy to use...

Valuable Features:

Easy to set up, easy to use

Room for Improvement:

Limited space on free plan, pay plan a little pricey
it_user1815
General Manager at a university with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to use but I'm cautious about security.

Valuable Features:

Very easy to use. Gain access from numerous devices. Very high availability.

Room for Improvement:

Not sure about security, I'm cautious. Do not store any sensitive data.
Infrastructure Expert at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
I would be lost without Dropbox

What other advice do I have?

I've been using Dropbox almost consistently since it's inception. I've tried and used (still use some) other services out there, and found the only others with comparable features are SkyDrive (they start you out at 7GB compared to 2GB (I still have my 25GB from being a beta tester!)) and Google Drive (which starts you out at 5GB). Dropbox trumps both of these with it's superior support and features.
it_user1206
Marketing at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
Great Company with a brilliant product, but there are some security concerns.

What other advice do I have?

With Google giving every user 5GB to start in their Drive accounts, DropBox certainly has many companies targeting their business model. Anytime you store your data in a place that you don't own, you lose a certain amount of control. Any business looking to use DropBox as its only form of data storage or backup, must consider what type of data it must control on its own.
Project Manager at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
A Free and Outstanding Cloud-Based Storage Solution

Valuable Features:

Dropbox is a cloud storage platfrom that I have been using since its launch. Dropbox is an outstanding platform that offers users the following pros: *2 GB of free storage *Easy, quick download and installation *iOS and Android mobile applications *Capability of storing multiple forms of media

Room for Improvement:

The only con to Dropbox is now there is a competitive platform, Google Drive, that offers users 5 GB of free storage and syncing capability with other Google services. "
Download our free Dropbox Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Quick Links