Dropbox OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dropbox is #5 ranked solution in top Cloud Storage tools and #6 ranked solution in top Content Collaboration Platforms. IT Central Station users give Dropbox an average rating of 8 out of 10. Dropbox is most commonly compared to SharePoint:Dropbox vs SharePoint. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.
What is Dropbox?

Dropbox provides cloud-based file syncing, sharing, and storage. It specializes in helping large-scale businesses stay organized and productive while protecting the integrity of sensitive information with enterprise-level security. Dropbox is a valuable solution for businesses looking to simplify communication, safeguard information, and improve collaboration. Dropbox's platform provides a user-friendly, real-time sharing and storage solution for large businesses. The company's enterprise-level service plan includes 256-bit AES and SSL encryption, an optional two-step verification process, and optional mobile passcodes, which provide tight security to protect sensitive information. Dropbox uniquely offers a remote wipe feature, which allows businesses to keep data safe when an employee leaves the company or a computer is lost. Dropbox stands out from the competition by offering businesses expanded storage, unlimited file recovery and versioning, and control over sharing permissions. Additionally, Dropbox provides businesses with team management solutions, including device and location tracking, login tracking, detailed user management options for administrators, and centralized billing. Collaboration between team members is further simplified with the addition of various Dropbox apps that allow advanced functionality such as document editing, CRM, and e-signatures. Dropbox has become one of the most popular business tools, entrusted by 97 percent of all Fortune 500 companies. Before implementing Dropbox, global apparel merchandiser BCBGMAXAZRIA was struggling to structure communication and increase company-wide efficiency, which resulted in the need for increased staff hours and expenses. Since choosing Dropbox as its cloud-based sharing and storage solution, BCBGMAXAZRIA has been able to restructure its file sharing and collaboration streams in every department. As a result, BCBGMAXAZRIA is able to boost efficiency, reduce expenses, and protect its information throughout all 550 locations. Review more of the top Cloud Storage Solutions with our SmartAdvisor.

Dropbox Buyer's Guide

Download the Dropbox Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Dropbox Customers

Vita Coco, BCBGMAXAZRIA Group, Centric Project, Kayak, FourSquare, Asana, Huge Adversting , USA Gymnastics, Appen, Valliant, Radio Lab

Dropbox Video

Archived Dropbox Reviews (more than two years old)

NS
Sales Engineer - IM Cloud at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
User-friendly, simple to set up and great for file sharing

• "The solution is very fast and simple. If I want to share a file I can put it on the cloud or on-premise. It's user-friendly."
  • "The pricing could be better and/or more clear. Right now, they have a strange way of splitting pricing. It's a bit complicated and not clear for users."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use all aspects of Dropbox, from storage to file transfers.

I use it for notes when I'm in meetings so I can share it with my team. I use it for sharing files as well.

What is most valuable?

The way you can share files by sending a link is very good. It also allows us to have all of our files on our smartphone, tablet, or computer. It's really great to have access to our files from anywhere at any moment.

The solution is very fast and simple. If I want to share a file I can put it on the cloud or on-premise. It's user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for three years.

The solution is stable. Sometimes I have to restart the solution because there is a problem. It's not often. I don't know if it's due to my computer or due to my connection.

The solution is very scalable.

In France, I have a direct connection to Dropbox. In general, I've been satisfied.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup is straightforward. They have a great onboarding process that guides everything. Deployment takes about ten minutes. You only need one person to handle the implementation.

I handled the implementation myself.

We previously evaluated WeTransfer.

What other advice do I have?

We use the cloud deployment model.

I would recommend the solution. It's user-friendly, easy to activate and easy to use.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. The features are great but the pricing needs adjustment.

CS
Bookkeeper
A solution with excellent accessibility, good scalability, and an easy initial setup

• "The initial setup is extremely easy."
  • "The mobile aspect of the solution needs improvement. For instance, if I want to use a file from Dropbox on my phone, I sometimes struggle to download images off of Dropbox. The solution lacks accessibility on different devices."

What is most valuable?

The fact that it is accessible anywhere is the solution's most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for five or six years.

The solution is stable. I haven't experienced any technical glitches or anything of that nature while using it over a number of years.

I only use a free account, so my storage is very limited. That's the only problem for me but other than that I think it is pretty scalable.

I used Box for work, which I found to be better, but it was a business account. For me, Box was easier to use. Using it on my mobile was much simpler.

The initial setup is extremely easy.

I use the free version of the solution. If you need more storage, you do need to pay a certain amount of money for it.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

The solution is very similar to Box. If I have the file on my computer, it will sync automatically. I would very rarely, for instance, access it online if I'm on my laptop. It's only the mobility aspects of it that are not so simple or quick.

Learn what your peers think about Dropbox. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,695 professionals have used our research since 2012.
JM
Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Free, easy to use, access and share files from any device

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is the ability to access files and documents from any device, anywhere."
  • "The Security and privacy of this solution need improvement."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is to store and share files between several devices and also as a repository to have harmonization of the same versions of the same documents.

The deployment model is a hybrid cloud because I use it on my desktop, my laptop, on my mobile, and it operates in the cloud.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The Security and privacy of this solution need improvement.

I am always worried about security and privacy. I don't know who can see my information in Dropbox.

There is indeed no way to collaborate in realtime, but for that function I use Google.

I have been using this solution for seven years.

This solution is stable, and I have not detected any issues.

This solution is scalable. If you are willing to pay, then you can scale.

I have not contacted technical support.

Previously I used Google storage. Also, I had used a USB key for devices.

Initially, Dropbox was the only solution for desktops. Now, Google has software with the same functionality, they do the same thing.

Dropbox is unique because it was the first.

I am using the free solution, which provides me with 2GBs of storage, and for me, it's sufficient.

What other advice do I have?

Everyone now is on the cloud using some cloud-based solution. Dropbox is not unique anymore, as there are several storage solutions available.

Dropbox is easy to use, easy to share, and easy to store documents and files.

This solution works fine and it has what I need. I am just a simple user. I am satisfied with this solution and I am not changing.

I am using the desktop client and I can upload and move folders.

If you need to share files, then Dropbox is a good solution.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Photographer at MS Solutions Ltd.

What is our primary use case?

I used Dropbox to store my files but they have deleted my account, and everything is no longer accessible.

How has it helped my organization?

They have deleted my files, and I have moved to another service provider. Their support department did not reply in a timely manner.

What is most valuable?

I can edit my files online, but the option is not that well-developed. However, I like the comments option.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see an option to secure my files and set password protection to my folders. I want to lock my folders with a password.  I would like to be able to unarchive my files online.

I cannot reach…

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

• I would like to see an option to secure my files and set password protection to my folders. I want to lock my folders with a password.
  • I would like to be able to unarchive my files online.

I cannot reach anyone. They do not reply to me.

it_user872238
Business Analyst at Digital1st
User
Ensures current version of documents are used. Would like to see an improvement in ease of use.

• "It ensures all our staff are using the current version of our documents."
  • "Improve the ease of use. Sometimes, occasional users struggle to login again and access documents."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for storing, retrieving, and sharing data. When teams work together, they may use documents which govern how the work is done or the product works.

Dropbox enables storing such documents centrally and retrieving them as required.

How has it helped my organization?

It ensures all our staff are using the current version of our documents. When a document is updated, the author updates it on his laptop and Dropbox updates the central document in the cloud.

What is most valuable?

Work documents are dynamic. As staff work on them, they change. It is important that when a staff member is working with any document, he/she uses the most current version. Dropbox enables this to happen through syncing, which enables updating a document as it is being worked on.

What needs improvement?

Improve the ease of use. Sometimes, occasional users struggle to login again and access documents. This can be very frustrating.

it_user367137
Founder / Singapore Web Hosting / Domain Name Registration / Enterprise Exchange at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
I use it every day to sync files across to the cloud. Sometimes, it takes a while to start and files are not synced.

What is most valuable?

File syncing is the most valuable feature. I use it every day to sync files across to the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

Dropbox Busines allows me to sync important work related files across multiple devices, which is important for collaboration.

What needs improvement?

The connectivity and start-up need improvement. Sometimes, it takes a while to start Dropbox services and files are not synced.

I have used Dropbox for four to five years.

Yes, sometime it may have issue while connecting from China

So far, we have encountered an outage once about three years ago.

What do I think about the

What needs improvement?

I have used Dropbox for four to five years.

Yes, sometime it may have issue while connecting from China

So far, we have encountered an outage once about three years ago.

Dropbox allows us to upgrade to increase space.

We have seldom contacted technical support.

We have been using Dropbox all along.

The setup is relatively easy and straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Do plan the storage space needed and upgrade accordingly.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are reselling Dropbox Business as a reseller.
it_user993
Engineer (Non IT) at a construction company with 51-200 employees
Dropbox is a very easy-to-use site that allows me to save files to the cloud.

What is most valuable?

Dropbox is a very easy-to-use site that allows me to save files to the cloud for retrieval from almost any device (laptop, iPhone, iPad, etc...). It has come in very handy on multiple occasions.

What needs improvement?

The only thing I have had trouble with is the ability to share files. The recipients of my requests have had difficulty accessing the files.

Senior Consultant at Unify Square
The versioning feature enabled me to recover documents that I had edited by chance, which was really a life-saver for me.

• "Availability of dedicated Apps on any kind of OS."
  • "2 Gb of free space and then a not so cheap subscription (also if the competitors have similar proposals for customers)."

What is most valuable?

Dropbox is a file hosting service (cloud storage and file-syncing services). Its strong points are

1) Availability of dedicated Apps on any kind of O.S.

2) seamless sync

3) file versioning

How has it helped my organization?

I use Dropbox as a personal productivity tool, to always have critical information available using a browser or working on the local copy of the contents.

What needs improvement?

Some additional features related to photo and video are not interesting for me (probably it depends on the personal requirements)

Five years. However, 2017 is my first year as a Dropbox Plus user.

The installation is really easy. On the mobile devices you have to consider how much information you really need available offline (due to the more limited storage of the smartphone or tablet)

No, the software is fairly stable and reliable

Staying inside the 2Gb of the free subscription is not easy, when you get used to using DropBox

Never used it

Never used it

Onedrive (previously SkyDrive) was my favorite but some features that I am used to are not available

Installation is almost trivial

I am in a single user scenario

For many years it costed zero to me and granted a lot of features I needed.

Also if now I am a paying customer, I still feel the money is well spent.

A bigger discount for existing users would be appreciated

Onedrive, Gdrive and EverNote. I use all of them along with Dropbox, but the latter is my main Cloud storage option.

Regional Manager APAC at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Shares data with external parties. It should synch to a local hard drive.

• "The small business version gave us ample capacity."
  • "Dropbox, like many file sharing tools, needs to synch to a local hard drive. That is a bit difficult with 5TB Dropbox content."

What is most valuable?

Dropbox is very easy to use in a team environment. It is also great when sharing data with external parties. The small business version gave us ample capacity.

How has it helped my organization?

With Dropbox, team members around the world have access to up-to-date content.

What needs improvement?

• Price
  • Dropbox, like many file sharing tools, needs to synch to a local hard drive. That is a bit difficult with 5TB Dropbox content.

Before decommissioning Dropbox, we used it for two years.

We could not get Dropbox to run effectively on a NAS. While in theory the tools are available, the synchronization never worked.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

Customer service is good. We received responses to our questions.

While they didn't give us the answer we needed, it was quite good.

We actually switched away from Dropbox to OneDrive though Office365.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

There is no need to deploy a vendor for a basic setup. Perhaps for more complex requirements, like running on a NAS, we should have deployed a vendor. But given the many options in place, it was easier to switch.

We were unable to establish a tangible ROI.

Given the price and limitations, there are more competitive options available.

We did not evaluate other options. At the time, Dropbox was recommended by peers and it appeared to be the most compelling option.

What other advice do I have?

Dropbox has some excellent features. Some of its contraints are not exclusive to Dropbox. Given the options available these days, Dropbox for business is overpriced.

Marketing Campaign Manager at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
We can easily share information with our vendors, clients, and partners.

• "The features that I find most valuable are the ability to sync across devices, easily access/share files and organize them among myself and my team."
  • "I find it a little hard to organize my Dropbox folders on my mobile device."

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

This product has enabled my team to collaborate more efficiently on projects.

We have had to review lots of large files for events and other large-scale projects; Dropbox has provided an easy way to do this across dispersed teams.

It has also provided an easy way to share information with our vendors, clients, and partners.

What needs improvement?

At times, the sync feature can take a while if a lot of files are updating. I also find it a little hard to organize my Dropbox folders on my mobile device.

I’ve been using Dropbox for over five years

Usually, there are no stability issues, i.e., other than the occasional delays in terms of syncing.

I’ve only seen Dropbox scale across small to mid-sized businesses. I am not sure how well it works at the enterprise level.

I have never needed technical support. The tool is incredibly intuitive and easy to master on your own.

It is also easy to find help in their online self-service center.

I do not remember life before Dropbox.

The setup was very easy! At my old job, we migrated to Dropbox for business purposes and it was incredibly easy to set up.

Dropbox offers a freemium model which is very convenient and affordable. Beyond that, the pricing is favorable. The amount of storage given at each level has always been plentiful.

What other advice do I have?

It is very easy to implement and scale across SMBs. I would recommend getting your files organized and taking the time to upload them.

If you have a lot of large files to load, you should give yourself ample time.

it_user396549
CEO at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Dealing with permissions are an issue. ​The ability to share files across the world with business partners is valuable.

Valuable Features:

The ability to share files across the world with business partners, family and friends is the most valuable feature. I learned of Dropbox from a friend after an adventure zip lining. Ever since I had used it for personal collaboration and file sharing and pictures that we wouldn't want to post on Facebook.

Room for Improvement:

Shared folders count against your total storage space. So I have had to delete multiple libraries in order to receive a share.

Finding and sharing links to files and libraries are often a pain to find and manage.

Dealing with permissions are an issue. Sometimes we need to find a person's email address. Some people use three to four different emails. Someone added me to a library via email, but later when needing to send me an email, they couldn't find it. Dropbox would not give them my email address, the one they had to submit in the first place to add me to the list.

Shared folders from other people don't count against your total size.

Personal address book so when we add someone, they're information is saved so we can lat a later time email them or add the person to another share.

Larger storage allocations as two GB is eaten up quite fast with sharing of pictures, video and files.

Lower price range. The cost for gain is just not lined up with other business offerings.

A much easier to navigate web interface. Sharing a file should be as easy as sharing a YouTube video. Finding that link is not always so simple.

Deployment Issues:

I've had no issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

I've had no issues with stability.

Scalability Issues:

I've had no issues with scalability, except the limited total storage space.

Other Solutions Considered:

A year or two back, we were upgrading a Customer Relations Management (CRM) database system. The database is heavily used among 8,000+ employees and was severely lagging in response times. This means longer times on phones with clients and a lower satisfaction rating with both employee and client.

So we upgraded the main database to a massive IBM K series Power running AIX. But now the SAN was the bottleneck. The 10TB Tier 1 SAN we were using just wasn't fast enough. So the database was split into archive and 4 year data. But the mix of spinning disk and SSD was just not giving us the cutting edge we needed to provide our staff with blazing fast performance and a higher degree of customer satisfaction with shorter phone time.

So we went back and threw the budget away and went with a 100% SSD solution. The storage team had never done anything like this so we had to work with them on acquisition and building. Then we ran 12 Fibre cables from the back of the IBM system to the SAN switch and to the SAN. We made it so it was exclusive to this system to remove any potential bottlenecks.

The directly attached SSD has performed amazingly since the switch and has bolstered employee productivity, report generation speeds and a slew of other tasks directly related to the CRM platform.

PatrickCiPaaS
Senior Technical Product Marketing Manager at SnapLogic
Leaderboard
Dropbox has dramatically changed my productivity for the better

Valuable Features:

Dropbox has been incredibly reliable in real time from any device at any time I need files. I saved an incredible amount of productivity using Dropbox for both personal and professional pursuits. It does an automatic backup of files as you're working on them so I've never lost significant data.

Use of Solution:

1.5 years

Other Advice:

In one case, when my phone was stolen, I was able to locate it because the person who ended up with the phone was taking pictures that linked to my Camera Uploads.

Valuable Features:

Use of Solution:

1.5 years

it_user5682
Senior Manager of Infrastructure at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
MSP

Valuable Features:

Easy to use - Flexible - Available for almost all platforms Only recommended for End Users (Domestics)

Room for Improvement:

Unsecure - Poor app support

Other Advice:

Dropbox is the easy to use tool by default available for almost all platforms, the only Cons is the unsecure code. Many of my homeusers customers love this service. But they don´t realize about the secuty issues reported in the past.

Valuable Features:

Room for Improvement:

Unsecure - Poor app support

it_user5022
Student at a university with 501-1,000 employees
Better than other similar tools. I use it daily.

Valuable Features:

Easy to use. Like the mobile app. Sync is fast. Secured.

Room for Improvement:

More free space needs to be provided. Shared users should not be allowed to delete files. Recovery system for deleted files.

Valuable Features:

Easy to use. Like the mobile app. Sync is fast. Secured.

it_user3978
Marketing with 51-200 employees
Easy to set up, easy to use...

Valuable Features:

Easy to set up, easy to use

Room for Improvement:

Limited space on free plan, pay plan a little pricey

Valuable Features:

Easy to set up, easy to use

Room for Improvement:

Limited space on free plan, pay plan a little pricey
it_user1815
General Manager at a university with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to use but I'm cautious about security.

Valuable Features:

Very easy to use. Gain access from numerous devices. Very high availability.

Room for Improvement:

Not sure about security, I'm cautious. Do not store any sensitive data.

Valuable Features:

Very easy to use. Gain access from numerous devices. Very high availability.

Room for Improvement:

Not sure about security, I'm cautious. Do not store any sensitive data.
Infrastructure Expert at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
I would be lost without Dropbox

Valuable Features:

- You can increase your storage amount with referrals (there is a way to cheat the system as well to expedite that process) to a maximum of I believe 18 or 25GB with - Competitive pricing for enterprise solutions, which are 100, 200 and 500GB solutions. - Team collaboration storage solutions with options starting at 1TB. - 99.9% Uptime (I have never personally lost any files or not been able to access my data. - Syncing between an unlimited number of computers and devices, including every mobile and tablet OS on the market and every desktop OS (Windows, OS X, and Linux) out there. - Great community support which includes add-on features and stuff. - They run fun little games each year so that you can increase your storage even more and have fun while doing it.

Room for Improvement:

- Starts you out at 2GB, which is paltry compared to most other offerings. - There is a cap to the amount you can increase to on a free plan.While I admit that the privacy issues that came up a while back (six months to a year ago) gave me cause for concern, Dropbox rectified the issue in their EULA and were extremely transparent with their customer base, which I believe is an excellent business practice.

Other Advice:

I've been using Dropbox almost consistently since it's inception. I've tried and used (still use some) other services out there, and found the only others with comparable features are SkyDrive (they start you out at 7GB compared to 2GB (I still have my 25GB from being a beta tester!)) and Google Drive (which starts you out at 5GB). Dropbox trumps both of these with it's superior support and features.
it_user1206
Marketing at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
Great Company with a brilliant product, but there are some security concerns.

Valuable Features:

While DropBox's basic setup gives you 2GB to start with, they make it very easy to bump that up to as much as 18GB as a free user. Their pricing, beyond this free service, is very competitive. Enterprise teams with needs for large storage (100GB - 1 TB) have multiple pricing options. I have never experienced downtime (though there have been issues - see CONS), and have been using the service happily for over 2 years. The DropBox community has also created many addon services that can be used to add functionality (send to dropbox allows you to email files to your account).

Room for Improvement:

There have been a few privacy and security issues that have soured me a bit on dropbox over the last year or so. First, there was the admission that dropbox was analyzing each file uploaded to see if there was already a version on their servers. If there was, they were linking my file to the original file, rather than storing multiple versions of files across users. Later, there was an error in a code update that allowed all dropbox accounts to be accessed without passwords for a number of hours.There have been many criticisms over the type of encryption that DropBox uses as well. If you are backing up your companies data to a cloud storage solution you have to be sure that you agree with their policies for encryption. DropBox might not meet your criteria.

Other Advice:

With Google giving every user 5GB to start in their Drive accounts, DropBox certainly has many companies targeting their business model. Anytime you store your data in a place that you don't own, you lose a certain amount of control. Any business looking to use DropBox as its only form of data storage or backup, must consider what type of data it must control on its own.
Project Manager at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
A Free and Outstanding Cloud-Based Storage Solution

Valuable Features:

Dropbox is a cloud storage platfrom that I have been using since its launch. Dropbox is an outstanding platform that offers users the following pros: *2 GB of free storage *Easy, quick download and installation *iOS and Android mobile applications *Capability of storing multiple forms of media

Room for Improvement:

The only con to Dropbox is now there is a competitive platform, Google Drive, that offers users 5 GB of free storage and syncing capability with other Google services. "

Room for Improvement:

Download our free Dropbox Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.