Duo Security OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Duo Security is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Authentication Systems. It is most often compared to Microsoft Authenticator: Duo Security vs Microsoft Authenticator

What is Duo Security?
Cloud-based user authentication vendor: authenticate with your phone, Duo mobile app, landline, or tokens with or without an internet connection
Duo Security Buyer's Guide

Download the Duo Security Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Duo Security Customers
Threadless, Yelp, Etsy, Eventbrite
Duo Security Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Duo Security pricing:
  • "Our licensing fee is currently on an annual basis."
  • "Their pricing model is a little bit weird. Currently, there is no price advantage in signing up for yearly contracts. There are no additional costs to the standard licensing costs."
  • "During testing we are allowed a certain number of licenses for free."
  • "Its price is reasonable. It is not highly expensive."

Sean Muller
IT Security manager at a energy/utilities company with 201-500 employees
A highly-scalable multi-factor authentication solution

What is our primary use case?

When our users are connecting to our Cisco VPN, Duo effectively ensures that they are who they say they are by taking a second factor into account, such as the cell phone that was used to create their profile. To do this, it sends them a second mode of authentication, such as a PIN or push confirmation. It also geo-locks who is allowed to actually log into our systems. We have it locked to the continental United States and Puerto Rico, and one outsourcing firm that we work with. Once you have it set up, all you really have to do is add people to a group in the active directory and send them… more »

• "The multi-factor authentication process and the geo-locking features are great."
  • "We had some trouble with the password reset function."

What other advice do I have?

If you're interested in using this solution, be sure to get the onboarding team to set everything up during the onboarding phase. Set up a proxy server if you can and get them to do everything during the onboarding phase — then you won't have any problems. Compared to the after-purchase support, the onboarding people are a lot more willing to just take over your computer and set things up for you. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of ten — it's the best.
FW
Head of IT and Security at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
Stable, easy to set up, and has useful push notifications, integrations, and mobile app

What is our primary use case?

Duo Security provides multi-factor authentication for anything that requires multi-factor authentication. It could be our internal corporate services, such as a single sign-on portal, or applications, such as Google Cloud.

• "The push notifications and the integrations they offer are valuable. Their mobile app is very useful. It is very easy to use."
  • "The only time I really had some negative feedback for them was about the UI of their mobile app, but they improved it in the last version. It is good on the functionality side, but their pricing model is a little bit weird. Currently, there is no price advantage in signing up for yearly contracts. If you are on a monthly term or a yearly contract, you basically pay the same price, and that is very unusual. Normally, there is a discount when someone signs up for the 12-month system."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to look at the integrations that are available and see if they can roll it out to as many applications as they can. Encourage users to use Duo Push versus the six-digit pin code that the applicant generates. I would rate Duo Security a nine out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Duo Security. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,114 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AS
Technical Specialities at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Hybrid architecture integration make this product useful but the dashboard needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

In my job, we are using the 365 cloud service and there is a VPN solution. We are providing solutions to other enterprise-level customers, like banks. We do not require much cloud-based security because many clients need to have solutions on-premises. We already use RSA (Rivest, Shamir, and Adelman data security). We wanted to try to add some other cloud security options for the VPN and so we tried this product.

• "It is a good solution for hybrid environments and VPN."
  • "The dashboard needs to be improved."
  • "Certain customers can not use this product because it is cloud-based."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Duo Security as a six-point-five. If I have to choose a whole number it is more of a six. I have not tested all the features extensively, so I do not know how they scale. I work on generic RSA products, so I know about all the features.
AL
VP of Product at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good authentication and multi-factor authentication features but technical support is lacking

What is our primary use case?

I am VP of product in our company and we are a customer of Duo Security.

• "The most valuable aspect is the authentication and the SSO."
  • "Removing the need for a password would be a positive change as well as the ability to cover all the different enterprise applications. They don't have coverage for everything."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product a six out of 10.
Yassia Savadogo
Cybersec Consultant at Freelance
The best solution that meets our security needs and is very stable, scalable, and easy to use

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for perimeter protection.

• "It meets our security needs very well. It is easy to use, and documentation is also available. It is also very stable and scalable, and its support is also very good. We are satisfied with this solution."
  • "Its documentation must be in French because we are a French-speaking country. They should also provide more training documentation. Its management interface should also be improved. They should also improve its update period. If I compare its update period with other products such as Palo Alto firewalls, this solution is really slow in updates."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. Duo Security is the best solution for the cybersecurity challenges that we are facing nowadays. I would rate Duo Security a ten out of ten.
Bernard Komdeur
Helping Clients Succeed at It-visibility
A secure solution to protect a database

What is our primary use case?

We use Duo Security to access databases, which are in the cloud. It's two-factor authentication mostly.

• "The two-factor login is great. I receive a message and just have to press okay."

What other advice do I have?

As a user, I would give Duo Security a rating of nine out of ten.
    Download our free Duo Security Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.