DX Performance Management Overview

DX Performance Management is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Infrastructure Capacity Planning tools. It is most often compared to DX Spectrum: DX Performance Management vs DX Spectrum

What is DX Performance Management?

CA Performance Management is a comprehensive and highly scalable network performance monitoring and analytics platform. It was built to meet the unique demands of big data and modern networks architectures, including highly dynamic and complex hybrid cloud and software-defined networks (SDN).

The platform is design to reduce complexity inherent in modern networks built across numerous technology stacks through advanced network performance monitoring and relationship mapping for improved operational assurance.

Combined with CA Virtual Network Assurance, the platform extends operator visibility through advanced discovery and network performance monitoring of highly sensitive cloud and multi-layered SDN networks and service chains.

DX Performance Management is also known as CA Performance Management .

DX Performance Management Customers

Jack Henry & Assoc, Target, CenturyLink, Bell Canada, BrightHouse Networks, Telus, Unisys, Verizon, Southern California Edison, GEICO, Fidelity Investments, Wells Fargo, American Family Insurance Group, Deutsche Telekom AG

DX Performance Management Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

it_user489675
Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Operators can easily see if a problem is related to a customer location or the entire network

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for network operations. We use it for customer information, as well as for information for our operations team. We are a service provider and we give our customers access to the Performance Center interface because it gives them information about the health of their network in different locations. For example, for a large customer with, say, 100 locations, each of the customer's employees can see the network health in his area. That means that they provide them, for example, the WAN bandwidth and DNS requests and network-related metrics.

• "The capability where not only the traditional SNMP information is captured but also the netflow data; who is consuming the data on the WAN, and voice-related information, is helpful. The voice quality makes it very easy for first- and second-line operators to see where the issue is, and who is impacted."
  • "It could be a little easier to integrate new metrics."

What other advice do I have?

You have to think about what you want to capture. You can capture a lot of things, but you have to make sure you capture only the things you need. We have had situations where a customer has said, "We need this, this, and this," - hundreds of parameters. But that would mean their infrastructure needs are growing massively. You have to think about the metrics you really want to capture. You can capture everything, but it doesn't make sense because then you pay a lot for hardware. For our customer with 10,000 devices, there are more than 700 registered users. That doesn't mean 700 users at the…
DB
Network Specialist
Leaderboard
The reporting helps me monitor root drives that are nearing critical capacity

What is our primary use case?

We use it for monitoring up/down, fault management, and trending. Although it's a really good tool, it very much needs to be rebuilt so that it can be updated on a regular basis.

• "The ability to very quickly and graphically navigate around, being able to zoom in to a timeframe, apply it to all the other panels... are all very intuitive."
  • "I can get it to run a report showing, for instance, what root drives are in the critical range in terms of being full, like 90 percent full, and disseminate that information to the other areas of the organization."
  • "The feature that is inherent to its core, of being able to graphically represent a trend and status, is nice."
  • "This may be available by now but for server space, when it comes to the disk file system, I'd like to see that graphically represented, or the trend, rather than what I'm seeing now."

What other advice do I have?

I would give Performance Management an eight out of 10, and I might even move that to a nine after I've had a chance to upgrade it to the two or more years' worth of features that have probably been added. It's quite usable. It's quite good to see something graphically, it's a very graphical application.
it_user850410
Consultant at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Intelligent alerts give us time to replace a router or interface before it's full

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to report on performance metrics of routers and switches.

• "You can create intelligent alerts so you have enough time to replace the router or interface before it's full. The same is applicable for CBQoS channels.​"
  • "The quantity of views which are tied to specific metric families is too high. Also, the problem is the view doesn't tell you which metric family it uses, so you don't know why you don't see data."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be start today. The tool is great and is pretty flexible, also for integration in other tools using OpenAPI. I rate it at nine out of 10. It's pretty good in doing the things needed, but there are some small pitfalls which are not necessary.
it_user814434
Global Network Operations | Infrastructure Services at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Gives us consolidated network infrastructure monitoring and reporting

What is our primary use case?

Most of of our CA suite is for network infrastructure monitoring, reporting, and fault management.

• "For CA PM, there should be a way of easily migrating the reports coming from eHealth going to CA Performance Center, since CA PC is replacing eHealth."

What other advice do I have?

You need to have a CA support representative on the call during implementation and upgrade to eliminate issues.
    it_user797961
    Distinguished Engineer at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    Video Review
    MSP

• "It is the gathering of the whole performance data in our environment and our network environment, for us and our customers."
    • "You can have thousands of devices inside and hundreds of thousands of interphases without a problem."
    • "It needs role-based administration."

What other advice do I have?

I would say a seven to eight out of 10, because it needs role-based administration. They ceased integrations. That is why I say a seven to eight.
    it_user683997
    Senior Network Engineer at Jack Henry & Associates
    Video Review
    We're able to present data from multiple back-end sources into a single dashboard for users

• "We're able to present data from multiple back-end collection sources into a single dashboard for the users. So they don't have to go to multiple locations to get data about a particular item, or device."
    • "It gave us one location, one place to do all of group administration, and to build dashboards, and device administration, inventory counts... it really reduced our overall administrative overhead."
    • "Scalability is the reason we bought the product to begin with. It was designed from the ground up for carrier-grade services, and we are in effect a MSP ourselves. So we were really interested in looking at something to be able to handle the multi-tenancy and scale as large as possible. This was the only solution that we really considered at that level."

What other advice do I have?

At this point I would give it an eight out of 10, but that's only because I know of a lot of really cool new stuff that's coming down the line, that's not available yet. So that number is subject to change.
      it_user674322
      Consultant Engineer at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
      Multiple groups can quickly obtain near real-time network gear historical performance data

What is our primary use case?

* Troubleshooting * Capacity planning * Alerting

• "Product has issue collecting IP SLA data."
        • "Install is done as root, which is a security no-no, and the database IO requirements were not stated correctly, which lead to a year of instability."

What other advice do I have?

I think the product has matured a lot, and I’m impressed with CA when I hear about new features. The product continues to improve and the future is looking bright.
        it_user760713
        Infrastructure Services Engineer Sr, Enterprise Network at a insurance company
        Enables our network teams to be proactive in responding to performance issues

What is our primary use case?

* Network performance reporting * Incident monitoring

• "CA PM Business Hours Filtering: I understand that all monitoring systems have defects. The Business Hours Filtering does not always function properly. Sometimes, when applying business hours to CA PM reports that are 30 or more days in duration, the report generation times out and does not display results. We have other CA PM reports that, when we apply Business Hours Filtering, the report results displayed are the same as without the filter. We are not sure if this is a defect in CA PM or if it is a result of our complex configuration (folder structure) and application of business hours."
          • "We would like to be capable of reporting network performance with a report strictly focused on the times outside business hours, which CA PM does not currently support. We have discontinued the use of the Business Hours Filtering until CA engineers are able to resolve or offer guidance."
          • "CA PM can be complex to build and configure. Creating the folders / groups / sites required establishing many rule sets."

What other advice do I have?

Instrumentation could take some time, depending how much reporting customization you plan to employ.
          AB
          Senior Systems Engineer
          Give us QoS metrics from network devices, and Network Flow Analysis analyzes our traffic

What is our primary use case?

We are gathering the SNMP data from many input devices, especially those which are used to monitor the status of the switches, the routers. It is very helpful to know about any CPU spike, rate of the CPU memory utilization of the network devices, along with interface utilization. Also, we are using this product to get some QoS metrics from the network devices within our network. We are also using the Network Flow Analysis, to analyze the traffic, the conversation between the offices. We have one more product called SNMP Trap Explorer which we are using to receive the traps from the network… more »

• "It is very easy to add devices; just be aware that it requires SNMP to be enabled."
          • "There is a good amount of vendor certification which comes with the product. That's all factory-loaded, no need to load any custom-made files. Most of the metrics are calibrated and captured from the devices based on the defaults available from vendor certification."
          • "It would be helpful if CA provided online training for its customers."

What other advice do I have?

If I were to talk to others who are considering this product, I would explain the features, that it's easy to use, and its scalability, stability, and about the capacity it has. I would also tell them that CA is upgrading the versions to stay current in the market, that is done very frequently. Whenever there are changes made - take the example of a Cisco router - if there is a new series of router, CA will include that in the next release. Also, there is a good amount of vendor certification which comes with the product. That's all factory-loaded, no need to load any custom-made files. Most…
          it_user779130
          Manager Network Operations at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
          Enables us to baseline, trend, historically view performance, and see in real time how the infrastructure is performing

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Performance Management is the health and performance of our networks. To be able to baseline, trend, historically view performance information, as well as to see in real time how the infrastructure is performing relative to what our expectations are. It's performed really well. As a matter of fact, when we deployed it, right out of the box we were able to stand up Performance Management within two weeks, in our production environment, with full discovery and relevant information, actual information, that we could use in our command center, our 24/7 operations center… more »

• "When we deployed it, right out of the box we were able to stand up Performance Management within two weeks, in our production environment, with full discovery and relevant information, actual information, that we could use in our command center, our 24/7 operations center."
          • "We have been able to get a little bit better at seeing more things in real time and more just in time, so we're less reactionary."
          • "The out-of-the-box dashboards are valuable, in terms of being able to visualize performance data in ways that we haven't in the past."
          • "I think it would be helpful having a more comprehensive set of certifications so that I could natively deploy devices to my environment and the tool would immediately recognize and immediately be able to provide relevant performance information without a lot of tuning on my part."

What other advice do I have?

In terms of criteria when selecting a vendor, for us, one of the most important is our partnership and their strategic outlook. A tool's a tool. You can buy a hammer that looks like a little different from the other one, but they all effectively do the same thing. Which is not to say that this tool doesn't have its benefits. There was a reason we selected it. But I think having a strategic partnership with a vendor, over the long term, has an interest in making your business successful. We have long-standing relationships, and that was a positive when it came time to make a decision. I would…
          JD
          Network Engineer at Wells Fargo
          Leaderboard
          We have our flow forensics paired with the SNMP polling performance metrics on the same page, however they need to improve on response times for development stuff

What is our primary use case?

Performance management for capacity monitoring of the Wells Fargo network. Performance-wise so far, so good. We have been ramping up close to the limit of the application: four million polled metrics. We are at approximately 3.6 million. So far, it has been doing alright. A couple of hiccups here and there, but overall we are happy with it.

• "The integration with NetFlow, the NFA solution, so that we can have our flow forensics paired with the SNMP polling performance metrics on the same page."
          • "It saves time having it all on one place, so you do not have to jump around from different tools and try to merge the data. It is already done for you.​"
          • "​Global synchronization errors. Sometimes it just doesn't finish in time due to the load."
          • "When it goes through discovery, or whatever it is doing in the back-end that slows it down, sometimes we get some failures with it. ​"
          • "Since we are out of registered IP space, we are moving to ipv6 and we expect our vendors to move with us, and they have not delivered yet."

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: For Wells Fargo, it is being able to handle the size and scalability. Most vendors out there cannot for large enterprises, because we are pretty much a small Telco in our size. Therefore, being able to scale up to 40,000 to 50,000 network devices is extremely important for horizontal scalability and the layout.
          it_user778722
          Supervisor Of Event Management And Monitoring at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for the product was to actually monitor the devices in our network. To actually help alert on problems and issues, then do some type of self-healing for the issue. It was also there to find a way to build trends and look at our network to see what we look like now, and where we may have to plan going into the future. The tool does pretty well. It is pretty new to us. We are still learning it. It is a broad value. People were a little hesitant when they started using the product. Now, it has become a vital tool for our use in the company, from a network perspective.

• "Since the implementation of the tool, it has cut down on probably 60% of our outages and letting us know what is going on."
          • "There is another component of the tool called Network Flow Analysis. It gives us the ability to troubleshoot issues which do not appear right away."
          • "My sales representative, I would not trade him in for the world. He has done a really good job. I am really happy with him.​"
          • "This tool gathers so much data, which makes it hard to convert over. To upgrade it, you really need the solution backed up. That is the issue that we are facing right now."
          • "It seems like we escalate more than I would like to. If anything, they should look at how the tier support goes in place."

What other advice do I have?

Kick the tires and get under the hood. Provide your use cases upfront, and tell them exactly what you need. Once you do that, it is fine. They will provide you with what you want, and meet your criteria. Lay out everything that you need. Look at the sales person that you are dealing with (the sales engineer). See how knowledgeable they are about their product, and see if it does what they say it will do, and that it is available right now. Do not tell me something is here, then, "Oh, that will be available six months from now." That does me no good. Unless you tell me up front, "We're gonna…
          it_user779190
          Team Lead at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
          Proactively builds dashboards, which allow us to go and do health checks

What is our primary use case?

We use the Performance Center to do performance monitoring. It is used throughout the organization by both our engineers, our support staff, and our troubleshooters.

• "​The ability to quickly do drag and drop customized reports for dashboards.​"
          • "​When devices are having performance issues, it proactively build dashboards which allow us to go and do health checks, and resolve problems before they become an issue.​"
          • "I have mixed feeling about the scalability. I feel like there are things which are being put into UIM right now that are not being included in Performance Center that we need to see in Performance Center. We are kind of being driven to buy UIM, and I can't justify it.​"
          • "There are some areas in the technology right now, like with VMs, where we are lacking with our abilities to get inside the VM to monitor traffic within the machine."

What other advice do I have?

Have an open mind. Look at what it can do for your folks. How fast and how easy it is for them to learn to navigate through the dashboards, and what you can do with the dashboards.
          it_user760713
          Infrastructure Services Engineer Sr, Enterprise Network at a insurance company
          Enabled us to build hundreds of highly instrumented custom reports around multiple data sources

• "The integration to the other products that we use: NFA, we use ADA, we use Spectrum; and CAPM integrates all those into a single pane of glass."
          • "Some of the individual report views, the way some of the columns sort, there's room for improvement in giving us more flexibility in being able to sort reports based, for example, on what columns the metrics fall under."

What other advice do I have?

On the positive, if you can rely on the out-of-the-box reports, it should be a fairly straightforward deployment. If you're looking at instrumenting your own views and stuff, it gets more complex the more views you want, the more complex your views, and the more you want to instrument the tool for your environment, versus using the out-of-the-box solution. My advice would be to understand how you're going to implement this and what you're expecting from it. You're going to go one of a couple different ways. You're either going to instrument it to satisfy some specific needs that you have, or…
          The auto-certification is a valuable feature.

What other advice do I have?

It's a solution which is highly recommended. It will meet and exceed your expectations.
          it_user635463
          Manager at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
          Puts the creating of dashboards and reports into end users' hands.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely take advantage of the training that CA offers. Certainly take that training, just prior to, or just after you've done the installation. That will put you in a position to really exploit the features of the product. There's so much you can do with the product and not just the dashboard and the reports that users can generate. There is more customization that you can do to the product and tweak it to your site's needs.
          Technology Architect Consultant at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
          Provides user-configurable roles & permissions with granularity.

What other advice do I have?

This is coming along; great progress. The "3 series" looks promising.
          it_user558384
          Network Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          It has valuable alerting, reporting and integration features.

What other advice do I have?

Take advantage of the professional services and leverage your solution experts from CA. They will help you define the right solution keeping in mind current utilization and future growth.
          it_user629940
          Consultant at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
          The metrics are helping us to know our network better.

What other advice do I have?

It is important to know what you need.
          it_user558399
          Lead Network Performance Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
          It integrates all of our CA products into one dashboard. Everybody's using the same data to correlate what is happening.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good product that will meet their needs.
          BH
          Information Technology System Administrator at Jack Henry and associats
          Leaderboard
          Upfront dashboard view of our multiple data centers helps catch problems before they impact the customer.

What other advice do I have?

Get CA involved up front. Let them help you. CA has done this for years. Let them help you with the things that you might not even realize that you don't know. Let them help implement it with you because they're going to know some of the bumps and hassles and pitfalls that are out there. That's what my partner did before I came onboard; and he said it was as smooth as pie. So, that would be my advice.
          it_user351330
          Network Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
          It allows us to see historical data that shows what type of traffic is going across the circuit. And although there were some issues when we started supporting UTA, we're able to get support for them.

What other advice do I have?

Not too many companies would implement this. If you're a large organization, make sure you staff correctly. It’s a large application and you need a group of people who know Linux and NetFlow. Have the right skill sets.