MT
System Administrator at a government with 10,001+ employees
Dashboard is easy to use but a little archaic

• "The presentation layer is pretty simple and straightforward."
  • "The visual is a little archaic."

What is our primary use case?

Our use cases for the solution are configuration backup, performance monitoring and presentations for the upper management. I'm an assistant admin and we are customers of DX Spectrum.

What is most valuable?

The presentation layer is pretty simple and straightforward and the dashboard is pretty easy to read.

What needs improvement?

The visual is good but it's a little archaic. I think it's the way it's compiled, because I've been struggling recently with deploying it in different departments. The software still uses a 32 bit library on the Linux boxes for installation. Every admin scratches their head when I ask them to install, 16 or 17 packages, 32 bit packages on a 64 bit architecture.

Also, they dumped all the documentation from the old versions and re-tagged them with the new version and they haven't updated them for a few years. That's a bit of a problem. They need to get rid of Java and 32 bit applications proctors, and that would be good.

I've been using this solution for two years.

The stability isn't bad. There are Java issues but that could be because of our setup so I wouldn't blame the software. Although again, using Java is a little outdated.

The solution can be scaled to an unlimited amount. We have 50 users, usually admins and managers.

I don't have much to compare it to but something that stands out is probably the ease of dealing with tech support. It's one of the better relationships that I've had with tech support. They always respond and they're on time.

The setup isn't complex it's just not up to date. It's 2021, why would anybody use a 32 bit package for an application.

What other advice do I have?

You need to make sure the product runs in your environment because it might not be compatible with some people's setup.

For now, I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

DM
Network Manager at SMA
Helpful auto-discovery of network components, but it is expensive and complex to use

• "The most valuable feature is the auto-discovery, which is nice because you don't have to do anything to add a new component."
  • "The interface is not nice and needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We have been using this solution to supervise all of the network's components, such as our Cisco switches, UPS units, the firewall, DNS, and all of the things that have links with the network.

How has it helped my organization?

Good vision of devices problems

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the auto-discovery, which is nice because you don't have to do anything to add a new component. It will just supervise the links.

What needs improvement?

This solution is too complicated to use for us, especially if you have many components. It's too big for us, which is one of the reasons that we will no longer be using it.

It’s Cloud be difficult to upgrade from one version to the next.

We have been using CA Spectrum for five or six years and we are discontinuing its use in two or three months from now.

This is a stable solution and we have had no issues.

We have had no trouble with scalability.

We are moving from CA Spectrum because it is not a solution for us. We are moving to an open-source solution that is less expensive.

The initial setup and maintenance of Spectrum are complex. It is also difficult to upgrade to the more recent version.

The product, support, and maintenance are all expensive, which is another reason that we are switching to another solution.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution and I would recommend it for a big company. However, for a small business like ours, we need something that is less complex and easier to use.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about DX Spectrum. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,695 professionals have used our research since 2012.
KM
Senior Engineer - Networking at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Easy to set up and has good configuration management functionality

• "What I like best is the configuration management functionality."
  • "Huawei devices are not properly supported, and there are incompatibility issues related to certain protocols."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is alarm monitoring.

What is most valuable?

What I like best is the configuration management functionality. I can configure a couple of devices at once, and I can certify the device in the configuration on my own, without depending on the vendor.

What needs improvement?

I have seen that there are some configuration issues with Huawei devices. Huawei devices are not properly supported, and there are incompatibility issues related to certain protocols.

The stability could be improved.

The rate at which our stability issues are resolved could be improved.

I have been using DX Spectrum for three years.

There are issues with any product, but for issues related to DX Spectrum, we receive upgrades. It can take some time, and occasionally we do not achieve the SLA times, but at the end of the day, we are getting our upgrades to the critical issues.

We do plan on continuing to use this product in the future.

We have deployed this monitoring system for an ISP in Sri Lanka, and there are more than 100 users. It is also integrated with a performance monitoring and management system.

The technical support is of lower quality since the acquisition by Broadcom. At this point, we are not satisfied with the technical support. It should definitely be faster.

The initial setup is straightforward, and the upgrade process is also straightforward.

We handle the implementation and deployment ourselves. Three people are enough for deployment and maintenance. The engineers take care of the implementation and overall administration.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

FD
DevOps Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Automatic discovery and event correlation are helpful for our large environment

• "The most valuable feature is automatic discovery."
  • "Event correlation only works on one server, rather than on all of the servers in the same cluster environment."

What is our primary use case?

We are a service provider and we have a lot of different customers that share a large network. It is a huge environment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is automatic discovery.

The event correlation is a helpful feature.

What needs improvement?

We have a huge environment and we have the event correlation set up. Event correlation only works per Spectrum server, for a huge environment more Spectrum servers are needed and the events are not correlated between the Spectrum servers. Broadcom has the intention to change this.

I have been using DX Spectrum for between 10 and 15 years.

This product is very stable.

Its scalability is very good. It can be used in huge environments.

I have had contact with technical support and my experience has been positive.

The initial setup is of medium complexity. It is not very easy, yet not very difficult.

Some preparation and special knowledge are needed to deploy.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to first make a plan on how you are going to implement and use it. It is important to know before you configure it, how it is that you want to use it. For example, we have a lot of different customers and they may not want to see the older devices from other customers. As a service provider, it is important to make a good plan on how you want to implement it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

OB
CTO at a aerospace/defense firm with 201-500 employees
Beneficial equipment management, functional user interface, and good support

• "The most valuable features have been the interface and the ability to do equipment management."
  • "The solution could improve by allowing the ability to monitor the network shortly after installing the software and adding an auto-discovery function."

What is our primary use case?

We are using DX Spectrum as a network management system.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by allowing the ability to monitor the network shortly after installing the software and adding an auto-discovery function.

I have been using this solution for more than 10 years.

When we have a high capacity of traffic, we have problems with the stability of the system. This could be improved on in the future.

The scalability of this solution is good enough for enterprise networks. However, for use in the telecommunications industry is does not scale enough. We can configure the systems correctly, but it is not enough for a telecommunication use case.

The support we have been receiving has been really good. They were about to answer all the questions we had.

The installation is straightforward.

The price of the solution is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

The most important area for us is stability and they need to improve on this for larger use cases.

I would recommend this solution for enterprise networks but not for the telecommunications industry.

I rate DX Spectrum an eight out of ten.