JM
Sales Engineer at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Scales well and automates all our end-to-end monitoring processes

• "Dynatrace is heavily automated which is a big advantage. You don't have to configure a lot, it installs and it runs straight away. There's direct return on investment and you can focus on more interesting stuff than always have to configure and change the configurations. Issues or problems in detection is also fully automated, which is great."
  • "I think they're working on even more integration from external third party input, but that is ongoing. So the faster it's there the better. Clock monitoring is one of these areas where improvements can be made."

What is our primary use case?

Our major use case for Dynatrace is end-to-end performance monitoring and other types of monitoring for business transactions, commerce transactions, websites, and so on. We have about five to twenty users, though their usage depends on a few different factors. Some users make intense use of Dynatrace while others use it on a less frequent basis.

I use the managed version of Dynatrace, which means that it is deployed like a cloud solution but our data is stored on-premises.

How has it helped my organization?

Dynatrace monitoring is highly automated, enabling us to focus on more interesting things than having to maintain and configure everything all the time.

What is most valuable?

Dynatrace is heavily automated which is a big advantage. You don't have to configure a lot, it installs and it runs straight away. There's direct return on investment and you can focus on more interesting stuff than always have to configure and change the configurations. Issues or problems in detection is also fully automated, which is great.

What needs improvement?

I think they're working on even more integration from external third-party input, but that is ongoing. So the faster it's there the better. Clock monitoring is one of these areas where improvements can be made.

Another thing is that, although the cost for Dynatrace has great return on investment, it could be cheaper.

I have been using Dynatrace for almost two years now.

I think it's a stable solution.

Dynatrace is very scalable. With our recent experience in terms of scaling, I believe the limit goes up to 100,000 agents in total that can be deployed.

Support is great. You can go by email and things, but also by chat. There's a chat functionality inside of the product, where you can open tickets for support problems and things like that.

Today, for me, Dynatrace is a winner over IBM ITCAM. For ITCAM, within IBM, I don't believe that they make a lot of investments anymore in that area as they're focusing on other areas. They're going with Cloud Paks now. Cloud Paks for this and Cloud Paks for that. So the Tivoli brand within IBM is in a censored mode, I would call it. It was a really good product years ago, but today it's not up to date anymore.

Setup is super easy. The SaaS version is, of course, the easiest to deploy. You don't have to do anything except install the agents. And that's quite simple, you just go to a webpage, you download and you click and it automatically connects. And it does everything for you.

If you go for the managed version, then you have to first see about hardware, by doing your homework for hardware requirements and things like that. But even then, it's quite straightforward.

You can easily implement Dynatrace by yourself. For us, it took about half a day to a day to do the whole installation and set it all up.

Because Dynatrace is so heavily automated, there is very little that you have to do to install and maintain it. With this fact, there's a lot of return on investment because we can now focus on more interesting activities rather than having to constantly change configurations.

There is a license cost, which is obviously more expensive than an open-source solution, but for the return on investment from what you get from it, it's a great investment. Of course, it could always be cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

I will continue using Dynatrace and I can confidently recommend it to others.

I would rate Dynatrace a nine out of ten.

AndreCosta
Data Engineer Manager at Creditas
Very easy deployment with good dashboards and helpful technical support

• "The deployment itself is very easy and straightforward."
  • "The pricing of the product could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We have some states that use the solution for the whole monitoring of their infrastructure. It's used largely in the main court, state courts, and federal courts.

What is most valuable?

The dashboard is the most useful aspect of the solution.

The deployment itself is very easy and straightforward. You can do the deployment in a transparent mode for the applications and containers and it's a very simple operation.

The solution's interface is good.

We haven't had any issues with support.

The solution offers capable configuration options.

The solution offers integration with other solutions.

What needs improvement?

The pricing of the product could be improved. It's still very expensive compared to other solutions, although it is the best one. Even being the best, it could improve the price or the business model. There should be more flexible ways of charging the customer. They could have more price models and more options.

I've been working with the product for about three years already.

Up until now, the stability of the product has been okay. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's quite reliable in terms of performance.

The solution scales well. It's one of the most scalable options. If a company requires a solution that can expand, this is a good option.

We use it for organizations with 6,000-7,000 employees.

These are pretty new implementations. Therefore, up until now, there is no demand for my customers to scale or expand. However, I do believe that in two or three years they will definitely need to.

The technical support is quite good. There is also very good documentation on the solution if you need it. Overall, we've been quite satisfied with the level of service we've been provided.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's nice and easy. A company shouldn't have any issues with the implementation process.

While it depends on the use case, in four to six hours we can typically do a deployment.

Typically, staff or three or four resources is enough in order to handle the deployment and maintenance of Dynatrace.

As implementors, we can handle the installation for clients if they require it.

The pricing could be less expensive, although I do see the value of the solution and its feature sets. However, with more flexibility in terms of licensing, the solution could be more attractive to more customers.

Our clients also evaluated AppDynamics from Cisco.

The main difference was the implementation and the end-to-end management for the monitoring, including the simple way to find and do the correlation of some issues, such as identifying calls and making correlations through their monitoring system. This is the biggest advantage nowadays that customers can see from Dynatrace as opposed to AppDynamics.

What other advice do I have?

We are partners and implementors.

I'm using the latest version of the solution.

I'd advise others to plan the requirements well and be aware of integrations that could be more complex. Training the operational team well is also important. With a good operation team, you can take advantage of the tool in many ways.

In general, on a scale from one to ten, I would rate the solution at a nine.

Learn what your peers think about Dynatrace. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,823 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SE
Cloud Solution Engineer at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Best support, reports anything that goes outside of a baseline figure, and tells you that something is going to break before it actually breaks

• "The Davis artificial intelligence built-in program is valuable. It keeps all the information about the systems, connections, service calls, and requests in its database. It looks at response times and keeps everything in check with baseline figures. If anything goes outside of that baseline, it reports based on that. If the performance starts degrading, it reports on that. Before something breaks, it tells you that it is going to break, and that's the most useful feature of Dynatrace."
  • "It is useful for analytics, web performance, end-to-end coverage of a user experience, and database analytics. It is absolutely a monitoring tool that is worth having. The visibility that it provides is a unique feature of this product."
  • "Its price, for sure, should be improved. Its price is quite high. Other than the price, there are always improvements to be made as technologies change. When we move into cloud-based technologies, Dynatrace will also have to adapt so that they can monitor those as well. It should have the adaptability to quickly transform to monitor those new technologies."

What is our primary use case?

We use Dynatrace as an analytics and monitoring tool. It is on-premise at the moment. We're looking at using the cloud-based one in the next year or so. We're in the process of migrating over to the cloud-based one.

What is most valuable?

The Davis artificial intelligence built-in program is valuable. It keeps all the information about the systems, connections, service calls, and requests in its database. It looks at response times and keeps everything in check with baseline figures. If anything goes outside of that baseline, it reports based on that. If the performance starts degrading, it reports on that. Before something breaks, it tells you that it is going to break, and that's the most useful feature of Dynatrace.

It is useful for analytics, web performance, end-to-end coverage of a user experience, and database analytics. It is absolutely a monitoring tool that is worth having. The visibility that it provides is a unique feature of this product.

What needs improvement?

Its price, for sure, should be improved. Its price is quite high. Other than the price, there are always improvements to be made as technologies change. When we move into cloud-based technologies, Dynatrace will also have to adapt so that they can monitor those as well. It should have the adaptability to quickly transform to monitor those new technologies.

I have been using Dynatrace for the last six years.

Currently, we have around 2,000 to 3,000 users. It is very extensively used. We are covering all our production systems and major revenue systems with Dynatrace. It is our primary monitoring system.

Their technical support is brilliant. They are online 24/7. You go into a chat window, and you talk to their support people. They can connect directly with your system and monitor it. They even tell you if something is wrong. It is the best support that I've ever had on any monitoring system. It is not just you monitoring it; it is them monitoring it as well at the same time.

Its installation is extremely easy. You just install an agent on the server. You can just follow the default installation. As long as you've got your system set up and your architecture set up to connect those agents into your Dynatrace cluster, everything is done within minutes.

I do it by myself. I'm a systems administrator. I take care of its deployment and maintenance. I build the system, and I connect the system to other systems. Any user who is trained on how to do it will also be able to do it.

Its price is quite high. Although it is worth it, it would be better if its price is reduced.

They base their prices around licensing. Their prices are based on agent licensing and consumption licensing. Both of these can be a bit cheaper, but if they are the best in the market, as I consider them to be, I assume that their prices will be higher. They are delivering the product for that price.

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend this solution. There is no better product on the market.

I love Dynatrace. I might be biased, but I would give it a nine out of ten.

Cristiane Machado
Head Of Product Development at Stefanini SCALA
Easy to setup and manage with a very nice user interface

• "The solution has a very good user interface."
  • "For the user, for the customer, they expect a solution to be not so expensive."

What is most valuable?

Overall, it's a good platform.

The solution has a very good user interface.

The product can scale.

It's fairly easy to set up and manage.

What needs improvement?

It will be great IF we could show (automatically, from the dynatrace dashboard) to the customer how much they are reducing costs, doing more business and no environment's stopped.

We've been using the solution since 2015. it's been about six years or so at this point.

No worries about that.

The solution can scale, however, if you have a large amount of infrastructure you will need to pay more. I find that if you start with just a small part (the critical part), you'll better understand why you need more of it and scaling will come naturally. It's not just about managing the servers and applications. It's about the user experience too.

I haven't really dealt with technical support. However, our tech team is quite capable of handling any issues should they arise.

We are also familiar with IBM SOLUTIONS.

The solution is very easy to implement and easy to administer. It's not overly complex.

Our IT team is capable of handling any implementation our clients need.

What I try to say to my customer is that, okay, it's not so expensive, if you could see the return of investment you will get. However, in Brazil, we have some difficulties when it comes to showing these numbers to the customer (they don't have the actualized numbers). It might be better, in the current market to just try to sell it to IT instead of across departments.

The pricing is quite high and many customers do not want to pay for it.

Dynatrace it has been our best APM Solution.

What other advice do I have?

We are an IBM partner and are beginning to work with solutions such as Instana as well. We're also partners with Dynatrace.

In the last three years, we've started to grow our customers and have new use cases. I believe due to the movement towards digital transformation, we have more opportunities to show the benefits of a platform like Dynatrace.

We are using the private and public domain from Dynatrace, however, we have customers and major financial customers who prefer to use either private clouds or a private environment. We believe that it doesn't matter where they are. I'm happy with this model, as we could get faster results in two weeks when we are implementing Dynatrace to our customers. It's faster to implement on the cloud.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been quite happy with its capabilities overall.

Stefano Ghelfi
Senior Analyst Programmer at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
Valuable and powerful with very good monitoring capabilities

• "A very powerful solution for the end user."
  • "Infrastructure monitoring could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for our customers for a wide range of tasks and for application optimization and such. It can be used in a performance test environment where developers run a new release to check they're headed in the right direction. I'm a senior analyst programmer and we are resellers of Dynatrace.

What is most valuable?

This solution is very powerful for the end user. It's a valuable solution but because of the cost, we try to explain this to our customers that they are not only buying a monitoring tool. Dynatrace offers a really important approach because the tool is able to monitor a lot of different features.

What needs improvement?

I think that they have to make improvements to the product, particularly with regard to the infrastructure monitoring which is not yet complete. Although it's very powerful for application and end user monitoring, the infrastructure needs to be significantly stronger. Configuration is also not so simple and that could be improved.

This is an expensive solution which makes it difficult to sell to customers. Even though the features are good, the price is too high. At the moment, we are able to sell the product, but only to really big companies. It's quite difficult to sell to a mid-size company.

I've been working with this solution since 2007.

The product is stable, they generally provide an automatic update on the tool every couple of weeks although we tend to test and then do a manual upgrade. There have been a few issues but the support is really quick to solve problems.

The technical support is very good and they have a live chat. You can open the chat from the product and check any issues. They are highly skilled. Sometimes the issues are more complex but even then they deal with it professionally.

I have some experience with APM Elasticsearch. It has a module that you can activate and then make an analysis. I also know some of the other tools but they don't compete well with Dynatrace.

The initial setup has improved over the years and is now quite straightforward. There's a lot of work involved to customize the entire environment.

What other advice do I have?

Anyone looking to implement this tool needs to take a 360 degree approach. If you take that approach then everything will be easier because you can see all the stakeholders and the value that the tool can give. If you approach it from only one angle, such as from the developer or operations perspective, then it would be very difficult to get an idea of all the features that the products has. This tool is very complete, but the price can become a bottleneck for some.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

SB
Sr. Technical Consultant at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good machine learning with good documentation and very stable

• "Once you are trained on the solution, it's easy to navigate. It's got very good documentation and training offerings."
  • "It's not really user friendly. You need to go through a certain type of training."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to monitor business activity, transactions, and root cause analysis.

How has it helped my organization?

The metrics that it can capture and identify, based on the positions that have been defined help us speed launch time.

What is most valuable?

The single agent is the most valuable aspect of the solution. It's great due to the fact that you're not capturing the data.

The solution has great machine learning and artificial intelligence.

Once you are trained on the solution, it's easy to navigate. It's got very good documentation and training offerings.

The solution can scale.

The product is stable.

What needs improvement?

I don't believe the solution is missing any features per se.

The pricing of the solution should be improved. It's on the high-end of cost if you compare it to other options.

It's not really user friendly. You need to go through a certain type of training.

The solution needs to offer KPIs so that we can read data and develop customized reports.

We've been using the solution for about six months at this point.

The stability is quite good. It's pretty advanced in comparison to what else is on the market. It's quite reliable. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution is pretty scalable. It's flexible. A company can scale fairly easily if they want to.

We have a small number of people on the solution currently. They are mostly application architects or developers. We are using it only as a POC right now in a particular business area.

The solution offers pretty good training modules, documentation, and community platforms. We're quite satisfied with the level of service provided. I'd rate them a nine out of ten so far.

We were using a different solution and the price was more reasonable. However, it was not as user-friendly and it didn't really have good features. We were looking for a product with better features and we're hoping this solution will provide that.

The initial setup isn't too straightforward. It's rather complex.

The solution is rather expensive. There are less expensive options.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer.

Only a few of us are using the solution. We're currently evaluating the solution.

I believe we are using the latest version of the solution.

Aside from the pricing, which is quite high, I would recommend the solution.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Tjeerd Saijoen
CEO at Rufusforyou
An easy-to-install solution with weak integration capabilities

• "If you look in the APM sector, it is a very nice package to install."
  • "The flexibility when it comes to integrating with other tools is very low."

What is our primary use case?

Our network and security managers used this solution. They had many problems with it because of the injection.

What is most valuable?

If you look in the APM sector, it is a very nice package to install. It's very easy to install. It's also locked up. You can not do a lot of things yourself.

What needs improvement?

We were planning to use it to assess things from Jira, but after we installed Dynatrace, Jira was not working anymore because of the injections that were put in Jira — we could not integrate with Jira.

The flexibility when it comes to integrating with other tools is very low.

We have not used it for a long time. We had problems with it so we used it for about six months and then we decided to throw it out the door.

It's both scalable and stable. We've never had an issue.

There is room for improvement, support-wise. We have a lot of experience in many different areas — I worked for years in the IT industry. I missed in-depth knowledge of audit tools. They know Dynatrace very well, but when it comes to solving problems, for example, in PeopleSoft, they don't know anything about PeopleSoft — that's what's causing the problem in my opinion. You need to know the tools to able to resolve the problems.

Yes, we had IBM Tivoli in place. We still use Tivoli — they were running at the same time. We wanted to compare the results from both tools.

APM is nice for application performance, but there are a lot more problems you need to resolve. You need a helicopter overview of the total environment. That's what we were missing from Dynatrace.

We stayed with the IBM solution (Netcool) but combined it with Riverbed. Netcool is a new tool that can do everything.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

We implemented it ourselves.

The pricing is a concern because the price of Dynatrace depends on how much memory is in a system. Our customers have systems with over 300 84 gigabytes of memory. In addition, you have to pay the head price, too.

What other advice do I have?

If you're not working within real big enterprise environments, then it's a nice tool to implement; however, if you have a huge assignment enterprise, then I think Dynatrace is not suitable and would be expensive.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of six.

JT
Application Performance Analyst at K2 - Labs Development
Helps to improve code efficiency and has quicker performance analysis

• "It helps to improve code efficiency and has quicker performance analysis."
  • "It could be more affordable and therefore, more widely used by including more features like DEM as part of licensing cost rather than an additional expense."

What is our primary use case?

Used to baseline and compare performance regression tests in development and to troubleshoot performance problems experienced by customers using our application in production. We monitor both on-prem and cloud environments during testing in Agile sprints as well as applying the tool in live production environments with permission.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps to improve code efficiency and has quicker performance analysis. It is possible to shift left with performance testing and analysis by implementing Dynatrace as a performance check/gateway in CI/CD pipelines with fully customizable alerts, filters and performance baselining as quality controls.

What is most valuable?

Automatic root cause analysis and automatic performance baseline features remove the manual effort and time to do so. Synthetic monitoring which enables you to monitor user experience from all parts of the globe to your application host. This has been invaluable in pointing out that slow web traffic is related to network problems in certain countries rather than actual web server performance. The ability to take memory dumps from hosts at will is also very handy for analyzing memory dumps during memory leak detection. Diagnostics tools like CPU analysis, Exception analysis, Top database transactions etc. is also very useful. The ability to split different monitored applications into unique Management Zones each with custom dashboards makes for easy tracking over complicated landscapes.

What needs improvement?

It could be more affordable and therefore, more widely used by including more features like DEM as part of licensing cost rather than an additional expense. The DEM is one fantastic tool to monitor traffic hot spots across the globe which enables one to identify user experience trends from all parts of the globe. This is very handy indeed however it comes as an additional feature with additional licensing costs. Would be really welcome if that is included out of the box.

We have been using a combined usage of Dynatrace Appmon and Dynatrace OneAgent for five years.

It's very stable.

Highly scalable.

20 years exerience in application performance testing and analysis.

Easy.

In-house

Our ROI is saving time in profiling and helping customers being successful at using our product.

Make 100% certain you understand the cost and limitations of HUs versus traditional monitoring Agents.

We also evaluated Datadog and Application Insights.

Hybrid Cloud

Download our free Dynatrace Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.